Commissioner McEnroe - I wish [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Commissioner McEnroe - I wish

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Says there should be a three month off-season, Australian Open in March and a proper Grass Court season.

The bloke talks sense.

What would tennis be like if he really was the Commissioner do you think?

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Forgot the link. Sorry.

http://www.artoischampionships.com/1/news/podcasts.asp

tripb19
03-10-2007, 06:13 AM
The AO can never be any later than February and any commentator should know this.

Peoples
03-10-2007, 11:54 AM
You cannot be serious !!!???? :mad:

Byrd
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Only thing I agree with is the grass court season being longer.

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
The AO can never be any later than February and any commentator should know this.

Why can't it?

It makes perfect sense to me.

They should use Indian Wells and Miami as build-up tournaments to the Australian Open, and then you would have a relevant calendar.

The fact that they come after Australia makes them largely irrelevant as tournaments.

Commissioner McEnroe is bang-on!

Andre♥
03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Why can't it?

It makes perfect sense to me.

It's snowing and raining hard in Australia right now...

Guess what month we are? March...

neme6
03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
yeah, forget the AO part, but I totally agree on the grass part, they should at least make a tms on grass before Wimbledon, it would be a batter preparation and players would'nt be so rusty on grass for Wimby.

mangoes
03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Yea, I can see him as commissioner:rolleyes: He'd turn the office into more of a circus than it is at this moment.

Merton
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Yea, I can see him as commissioner:rolleyes: He'd turn the office into more of a circus than it is at this moment.

That is an excellent point, sometimes the degree to which the current office holder sucks makes us forget that other potential candidates might also not be up to the job. In this case, JMac has his well known prejudices and is extremely self centered.

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 10:57 PM
It's snowing and raining hard in Australia right now...

Guess what month we are? March...

Wrong.

Have a look at the weather forecast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0094&links

There is unbroken sun and no rain for the next five days.

I was there at the Australian Open this year.

A number of days on the outside courts had to be cancelled because of hot weather, Sharapova almost collapsed, and other days were rained off.

Melbourne habitually has four seasons in one day all year round.

March, as you will see from the forecast, is absolutely fine.

As for Commissioner McEnroe, the guy is a legend who talks it how he sees it. Listen to what he says and you'll realise he talks a lot of sense.

Johnny Groove
03-10-2007, 11:11 PM
As for Commissioner McEnroe, the guy is a legend who talks it how he sees it. Listen to what he says and you'll realise he talks a lot of sense.

:spit:

stebs
03-10-2007, 11:15 PM

Exactly, he talks it how he sees it. He sees it like a fanboy of what he used to be. McEnroe is stuck in the past, he is still funny sometimes and I don't dislike the guy but he is not a genius as far as modern day tennis goes.

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Exactly, he talks it how he sees it. He sees it like a fanboy of what he used to be. McEnroe is stuck in the past, he is still funny sometimes and I don't dislike the guy but he is not a genius as far as modern day tennis goes.

Give him the chance, maybe he would do a far sight better than a CEO (Mark Miles) who signed the sport up to a deal with marketing company ISL, which subsequently collapsed leaving the sport with untold cash shortages, redundancies and the need to crawl back to the sponsors of the Masters Series events they had abandoned.

And maybe he would do better than the current President who gave us Round-Robin.

It's easy to right Mac off, but tell me what, out of a longer grass court season, a shorter calendar, and the Australian Open played in March, does not make sense?

It all adds up to me, or as he said 'one heck of a calendar.'

jayjay
03-10-2007, 11:39 PM
And maybe he would do better than the current President who gave us Round-Robin.

John McEnroe thinks that at 6-5, 40-30 in the 5th set of a Grand Slam final, it would be "exciting and great" if there were no lets and the servers serve slapped the top of the net and trickled over, leaving his opponent scrambling helplessly to dig out a return to save the match.

Personally, I think this would be a wholly unsatisfactory way for a match of this magnitude (or any match) to end.

What do you think?

If you agree with John, then he is your guy. If you don't, you may want to reconsider whether tennis should replace one gimmick addict with another.

goldenlox
03-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Tennis is a business. McEnroe only has experience as tennis player and media whore.
He's not prepared to run a business. Might as well put him in as CEO of Microsoft.

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 11:46 PM
It's nothing to do with anyone being anyone's 'guy', it's about opinions.

I can see where you are coming from with that argument about the let chord, but at the same time, 'luck' is an element of the sport.

You could just as easily hit a return off the post that deflects and goes in for a winner.

Is that any more fair?

To my mind, bring on the let-chord trickling over and counting.

At least it would stop Nadal taking another 40 second pause before his next serve.

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Tennis is a business. McEnroe only has experience as tennis player and media whore.
He's not prepared to run a business. Might as well put him in as CEO of Microsoft.

The latest guy invoked Round Robin because it was good for the 'business' of tennis.

Look what that did? The common sense decision to send Blake through because he 'probably' would have won for the loss of less than five games, subsequently overturned.

Maybe you wouldn't make Mac the CEO, but the Commissioner, as he is on the Podcast, so that he just makes the judgement calls about what is actually good for the game of tennis.

goldenlox
03-10-2007, 11:50 PM
All McEnroe wants is media attention. He wants his own tv show.
But every show he gets is canceled from bad ratings.

jayjay
03-10-2007, 11:52 PM
[QUOTE=IFoughtThe;5007115]It's nothing to do with anyone being anyone's 'guy', it's about opinions.

I can see where you are coming from with that argument about the let chord, but at the same time, 'luck' is an element of the sport.

You could just as easily hit a return off the post that deflects and goes in for a winner.

Is that any more fair?

That's a fair point and certainly luck is an element of sport that no one can account for. From my view though, I just would like to see at least the point start off "normally", but it's a fair counter to say that a let cord could happen later in the rally and end the match in exactly the same way.

At least it would stop Nadal taking another 40 second pause before his next serve.

:lol:

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Wrong - you can not tell me that the guy doesn't really care about tennis. He does.

Certainly he made the wrong choices with those shows.

What he really needs is a tennis radio show. If you heard his six-love-six show on Five Live with Andy Murray at Wimbledon last year, you would hear that he has the talent for it. It was great hearing him grill Murray.

IFoughtThe
03-10-2007, 11:55 PM
How does having the Australian Open in March make sense when it's during January that the summer holiday season is in full swing and school starts up late January/early February? It's not the Northern Hemisphere, you know.

Because then it would be the culmination of a proper season, and you wouldn't have Indian Wells and Miami just sitting there in March, completely out of context.

Newport should be before Wimbledon as well.

goldenlox
03-10-2007, 11:59 PM
McEnroe should be hosting a tennis show on Sirius. But he shouldn't be making decisions that effect the tennis tour.

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 12:03 AM
McEnroe should be hosting a tennis show on Sirius. But he shouldn't be making decisions that effect the tennis tour.

Who should be then?

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Pay attention: an Australian Open in March when the school year is well underway will hurt attendance numbers greatly, especially during the week. Is that worth "context"? Besides, there are plenty of smaller hardcourt tournaments after Melbourne and before IW and Miami to give you your context.

And if "context" is so important, you'd have to move the entire Australian swing (and the Asian tournaments as well) over two months so that there is a proper lead-up to Melbourne, and IW and Miami would be placed where? A shorter season would be nice, but this isn't the way to do it.

I very much doubt it.

The French Open and Wimbledon do not take place during school holidays and they seem to do ok.

The point is that Melbourne needs to be the destination, not the starting-point to a season of hard-court events.

What is your suggestion to shortening the calendar then?

jayjay
03-11-2007, 12:21 AM
What he really needs is a tennis radio show. If you heard his six-love-six show on Five Live with Andy Murray at Wimbledon last year, you would hear that he has the talent for it. It was great hearing him grill Murray.

Couldn't disagree more about that show. It's just 45-60mins of people phoning in to tell McEnroe how great he is. There is little substance to the show, just alot of back slapping.

CmonAussie
03-11-2007, 12:45 AM
McEnroe is talking out of his arse & wasting print in newspapers as usual><..

>> All the players always say that the best thing about the Aussie Open is the atmosphere, fans, festive like "happy slam" etc...
...What the players don`t understand is that one of the AO`s biggest attractions for the fans is exactly because it`s in the summer holidays.. Personally I went there myself for over 10-years as a school kid. & it`s just an extra bit of exictment/buzz about the place.

If the tennis players want a longer break then they should do it at the end of the year..

Also they could have a few more mini breaks within the year [eg. a week off after every slam]..

Even if they shorten the season all it will do is condense the season so some players will feel the need to play more tourneys in a shorter period of time>> which will increase the risk of injury..

The only players that ever complain about the season being too long or AO`s posistion on the calendar are Top-10 players>>> why??? because they`re the ones with the expectation to win & the money to play [during off season]... So when they don`t win or pick up an injury later in the year they have to blame it on something><..

For the Top-10 players who complain the most it`s simple>>> follow Federer`s lead & make a very strategic schedule from the outset of the year!!

Eg. FED`s strategy for maximising points & minimising injuries!

...2-weeks break
January 07: AO
...4-weeks break
Feb/March 07: Dubai
...effectively 1-week break
March 07:IW
...effectively 1-week break
March 07: Miami
...2-weeks break
April 07: MC
...2-weeks break
May 07: Rome
...[unlikely to play Hamburg]
...2-weeks break
May/June 07: FO
June 07: Halle
June 07: Wimby
...4-weeks break
July 07: Canada
August 07: Cincy
...1-weeks break
Aug/Sept 07: USO
...2-weeks break
Sept 07: Tokyo
...1-weeks break
Oct 07: Madrid
Oct 07: Basel
...[unlikely to play Paris]
...2-weeks break
Nov 07: TMC
...2-months of officially no tourney play until AO 08

Johnny Groove
03-11-2007, 01:01 AM

ahh, the rafa-bash. I was wondering when that would come up :yeah:

sondraj06
03-11-2007, 01:08 AM
I don't know about other people but I freaking love jmac. He is freaking hilarious, you all don't like to laugh much do you, unless it's at some one else expense. He makes tennis fun, other commentator are just soo boring, i can't take it. And they don't add anymore to the convo than jmac. All of their commentating consist of talking about who is getting a divorce that week. They don't really talk about tennis, a least jmac is funny.

jayjay
03-11-2007, 01:54 AM
I don't know about other people but I freaking love jmac. He is freaking hilarious, you all don't like to laugh much do you, unless it's at some one else expense. He makes tennis fun, other commentator are just soo boring, i can't take it. And they don't add anymore to the convo than jmac. All of their commentating consist of talking about who is getting a divorce that week. They don't really talk about tennis, a least jmac is funny.

I like to laugh. And he can at times (as almost anyone can) be funny. But I don't think his commentary skills are the debate here, rather if he'd be the kind of guy that people would like to see running tennis.

And because of his admiration for gimmicks to supposedly "jazz" up the sport, I'm not particularly in favour.

aussie_fan
03-11-2007, 03:08 AM
If McEnroe actually knew what he was talking about he would know that AO can't be moved from it's date. It's the perfect time of the year for the event, it's school holidays, a lot of familiese come down for the event and you usually have quite nice weather (apart from the very hot days).

The fact that the first Slam is so early in the year, it's a good test for everyone to see how ready they are after the off-season in a big stage event. That's one of the special things of AO.

Sjengster
03-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Yes, from what I hear and read the AO has the best atmosphere of the Slams and provides the best experience for the fans, and I wouldn't want that changed purely out of a need for a more rationalised schedule (which is important, but then so is the fan viewpoint from the "bottom up" at tournament level, if you see what I mean).

I think they should bump the DC semis back to July, during the post-Wimbledon period (they held the quarters at that time two years ago), then have the final in the week the semis are usually held, at the end of September. I admit it's good to have DC as the final event of the year since it ends the season on a note of team spirit and national pride in what is usually an individual sport, but then the TMC is supposed to be the year-end championship. At least that way everyone would be finished by mid-November at the latest, and no Top 10 player would have to cope with the double whammy of TMC and DC final followed by pre-season training for the AO very soon after.

Of course one area where I do agree with McEnroe is the expanded grass season, and that too would only be possible by eating into the weeks after Wimbledon.... ideally Wimbledon would be held several weeks later in the calendar as the culmination of the longer grass season, meaning a) a bigger gap between it and RG, which would help encourage more participation by claycourt players at SW19, and b) both Slams would act as the final event of their respective surfaces, which is what happens with the US Open series right now. Silly to be having RG, then several weeks on grass, then back to clay for another month for many players, and only then switching to hardcourts.

Conclusion? I'm glad I don't have the task of reforming the calendar....

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 03:38 AM

Agreed, he is funny. He also has the balls to say what he really believes.

Have you heard the podcast? apparently he's going to be on every one.

I'll be there!

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 03:40 AM
If McEnroe actually knew what he was talking about he would know that AO can't be moved from it's date. It's the perfect time of the year for the event, it's school holidays, a lot of familiese come down for the event and you usually have quite nice weather (apart from the very hot days).

The fact that the first Slam is so early in the year, it's a good test for everyone to see how ready they are after the off-season in a big stage event. That's one of the special things of AO.

I love Australia, absolutely love Melbourne, but I've been to that event every day for the past 6 years, and the weather is all over the place.

The weather is fine right now - why can't it be held in June?

French open and Wimbledon don't hit school holidays and they get fantastic attendances.

It should be moved for the greater good of tennis, like Mac says, not just because it fits in with Australia's school holidays.

It won't happen without a Commissioner.

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 03:44 AM
Couldn't disagree more about that show. It's just 45-60mins of people phoning in to tell McEnroe how great he is. There is little substance to the show, just alot of back slapping.

I agree that there's too much back-slapping, but did you not hear him grilling Andy Murray in the last one??

He got more out of the lad then any journalist all two weeks.

He got him to admit that he had spoken to Gilbert and wanted him as his coach, and no-one had done that at that point.

And it brought out a whole new side to Murray.

I thought it was great.

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 03:46 AM
ahh, the rafa-bash. I was wondering when that would come up :yeah:

It's not a bash, just an observation. An accurate one.

refero*fervens
03-11-2007, 03:57 AM
I love Australia, absolutely love Melbourne, but I've been to that event every day for the past 6 years, and the weather is all over the place.

French open and Wimbledon don't hit school holidays and they get fantastic attendances.

It should be moved for the greater good of tennis, like Mac says, not just because it fits in with Australia's school holidays.

It won't happen without a Commissioner.

The weather is always all over the place here :lol: first day of autumn; cold, hot, then a windy storm - summer is still a tad more predictable...usually...

I just can't imagine an AO not held in the holidays and at that particular time - but then I might be accused of a bit of bias and selfishness there ;)

Andre♥
03-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Wrong.

Have a look at the weather forecast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0094&links

There is unbroken sun and no rain for the next five days.

There was a storm in Australia this week. I saw it on the news.

jitterbug
03-11-2007, 04:58 AM

Because June is winter down here :)

CmonAussie
03-11-2007, 05:09 AM
What`s wrong with the AO in January???

The players complain & yet they play exhibitions between November & January every year???><...

The AO`s only major problem is the surface~> Rebound Ace is somewhat dangerous!!

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Because June is winter down here :)

Sorry, I meant to type March! I'm losing it.

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 05:18 AM
What`s wrong with the AO in January???

The players complain & yet they play exhibitions between November & January every year???><...

The AO`s only major problem is the surface~> Rebound Ace is somewhat dangerous!!

Because it does make the calendar longer that it needs to be, and there is no context to it, what with similar surface events following it. They need to be leading up to it so that the Australian Open is the end point of the season.

Johnny Groove
03-11-2007, 05:20 AM
Mcenroe running the sport of tennis?

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/workshops/webmaster-2005/sessions/couzin/slides/serious.jpg

jitterbug
03-11-2007, 05:26 AM

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/workshops/webmaster-2005/sessions/couzin/slides/serious.jpg

the shorts :eek:

Macbrother
03-11-2007, 06:04 AM

His game was so beautiful then...

IFoughtThe
03-11-2007, 02:33 PM
His game was so beautiful then...

How about bringing the shorts back - get Nadal et al to show a bit of leg??