Why the hell is Henman vs. Hernych on CENTRE COURT tomorrow? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why the hell is Henman vs. Hernych on CENTRE COURT tomorrow?

Sean.J.S.
03-10-2007, 03:25 AM
I could understand if Henman was playing a well known player or there were no other good matches on the outside courts, or one of the players were from the USA, but Henman vs Hernych is the first match on Centre Court for a Masters Series tournament? Get real! :lol:

This is the world number 44 against the world number 73 and it is on Centre Court instead of players such as Ivanovic, Golovin, Gasquet and Ferrero. I still can't get over it!

If you don't believe me, check here: http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/1/oop/

Andre♥
03-10-2007, 03:28 AM
I could understand if Henman was playing a well known player or there were no other good matches on the outside courts, or one of the players were from the USA, but Henman vs Hernych is the first match on Centre Court for a Masters Series tournament? Get real! :lol:

This is the world number 44 against the world number 73 and it is on Centre Court instead of players such as Ivanovic, Golovin, Gasquet and Ferrero. I still can't get over it!

If you don't believe me, check here: http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/1/oop/

Ferrero is past his prime. Del Potro, Ivanovic and Golovin are unknown for the casual fans. Henman is still a big name in the US and people actually know him.

Sean.J.S.
03-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Ivanovic is known in the USA and Ivanovic is playing King who is from the USA. You would think they would put that match on Centre Court instead.

Andre♥
03-10-2007, 03:31 AM
Ivanovic is known in the USA and Ivanovic is playing King who is from the USA. You would think they would put that match on Centre Court instead.

Ivanovic is not that known in the United States. Casual fans don't know Ivanovic and King is just one more american. Henman is a big name in the US and I think they did the right thing.

Sean.J.S.
03-10-2007, 03:32 AM
Henman no longer makes headlines. Ivanovic does all the time. :lol:

Clara Bow
03-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Henman is actually featured a lot in US coverage when he is playing - so this does not surprise me. And he is a popular player. Plus- he is a Brit- which we do like here.

Although Murray is at a different trajectory in his career right now- he is also featured a lot. And would likely be featured on center court. I think there is an idea of a kinship with native English speakers.

Hewitt would likely get it over Gonzalez, etc. in IW. Miami could be different, however.

Andre♥
03-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Henman no longer makes headlines. Ivanovic does all the time. :lol:

All the time? LOL! Ivanovic is just one more good tennis player. The casual fan knows Davenport, Venus, Serena, Hingis, Amelie, Sharapova, Henin and Clijsters. They don't know a lot more than that.

The casual fan knows about 10 tennis players and Henman is one of them. Just because he is on tour for so much time that people got used to him. And between watching Henman and Hernych or Ivanovic trashing King like she did in the AO (6:2 6:0), people want to see the ATP match...

Sean.J.S.
03-10-2007, 03:49 AM
People want to see an American (Vania King) play a top player like Ivanovic. Not boring Henman against some random who nobody knows.

Sean.J.S.
03-10-2007, 03:50 AM
Oh and BTW the score at AO between Ivanovic and King was 6-2 6-0 because the heat was 41 degrees celcius.

GlennMirnyi
03-10-2007, 03:57 AM
First, it's CELSIUS.

Second, nobody cares about WTA.

Third, Henman is a great player and deserves to be in a central court.

GlennMirnyi
03-10-2007, 03:59 AM
People want to see an American (Vania King) play a top player like Ivanovic. Not boring Henman against some random who nobody knows.

You don't need to show off you're ignorant. Well, what to expect from a Ducktard. :rolleyes:

sodman12
03-10-2007, 03:59 AM
So they both had to play in it. What does that matter?

Frooty_Bazooty
03-10-2007, 04:05 AM
People want to see an American (Vania King) play a top player like Ivanovic. Not boring Henman against some random who nobody knows

when did you become the representative for what every wants to see?????????????? cos you sure as hell weren't elected by anyone i know!

Oh and BTW the score at AO between Ivanovic and King was 6-2 6-0 because the heat was 41 degrees celcius.

thats funny cos I would assume BOTH players were playing in that heat.

The fact is that henman has played IW the past 9 years in a row, reaching the final twice and QF twice also. He has is a former world number 4, higher than everyone you mentioned bar Ferrero (who im sure will get a good court placement too). also hernych played well last week so it should be a close match

not everyone has only been following tennis for the past 18 months!

aussie_fan
03-10-2007, 04:12 AM

I was at that match, Ivanovic would of killed her if it was 21 degrees, she was playing well.

Henman on centre Court makes sense, he's been around for a while and he did well here a couple years back, i think.

dylan24
03-10-2007, 04:31 AM
because dim tim is a superstar

AsianSensation
03-10-2007, 05:20 AM
cause Henman is cool like that, duh.

scoobs
03-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Isn't Tim also a former finalist a couple of years ago?

They tend to afford those with a bit more respect :)

DrJules
03-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Henman is actually featured a lot in US coverage when he is playing - so this does not surprise me. And he is a popular player. Plus- he is a Brit- which we do like here.

Although Murray is at a different trajectory in his career right now- he is also featured a lot. And would likely be featured on center court. I think there is an idea of a kinship with native English speakers.

Hewitt would likely get it over Gonzalez, etc. in IW. Miami could be different, however.

Brad Gilbert probably tells the organisers to put Murray on centre court.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought after the Blake incident Hewitt was one of the less popular players in the US.

DrJules
03-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Isn't Tim also a former finalist a couple of years ago?

They tend to afford those with a bit more respect :)

A point to note is that it is 1st match of the day early in the morning. I wonder how large the crowd will be.

scoobs
03-10-2007, 05:51 AM
A point to note is that it is 1st match of the day early in the morning. I wonder how large the crowd will be.
Also worth noting that Sky Sports will probably have put in a request to the organisers to schedule Henman and Murray on televised courts so that they can cover the matches here in the UK.

Adler
03-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Because it's probably the last chance of seeing Tim winning in Indian Wells

Clara Bow
03-10-2007, 06:40 AM
I thought after the Blake incident Hewitt was one of the less popular players in the US.

They still feature Hewitt alot on TV - even more than you would think in his dip in the rankings. Granted- not at the expense of some Americans- but still- if LLeyton is playing and there are no Americans highly ranked and folks from other countries outside of Feds and Rafa- they often show Hewiitt.

Agassi Aces
03-10-2007, 07:02 AM
Henman is still a big name and the Americans want to see him!!!

scoobs
03-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Plus he like to play some SV so you do get a contrast against his opponents usually, which can make for more entertaining matches for the fans.

So, in short, tons of reasons :)

jazar
03-10-2007, 07:15 AM
americans love jan hernych. its as simple as that

safin-rules-no.1
03-10-2007, 08:21 AM
rather Tim than moron Murray :banana:

alansk
03-10-2007, 08:23 AM

:lol:

Jimnik
03-10-2007, 08:40 AM
I think Sky Sports are showing their influence again.

Also, Henman has had some good success here. He's had two final and two quarter-final appearances, so he's probably more well known than Moya and Ferrero.

:haha:

David Kenzie
03-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Then it would be 4 WTA and 2 ATP matchs on center court. A rip-off if you ask me.

Other than that Henman is still a big name and an english speaker which makes him more likeable by the american casual fans.

Allstar
03-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Henman is the biggest crowd puller in the event. Would expect nothing less for this years Wimbledon champion

Kolya
03-10-2007, 09:44 AM
^^ Wishful thinking

crouching
03-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Henman is a recent double-finalist at IW and a recent US Open semifinalist. He's still a reasonably big draw amongst the non-seeds.

Plus, of course, his matches are televised in the UK, and Sky would have paid quite a bit to IW for TV rights, so Sky would have at least some leverage with the IW organisers!

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 09:48 AM

:lol:

CooCooCachoo
03-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Go Jan :dance:

Sean.J.S.
03-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Two and a half years ago isn't recent. :rolleyes:

Henman is a recent double-finalist at IW and a recent US Open semifinalist.

Burrow
03-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Verdasco stop being a prick and accept Tim Henman and Jan "lights out tennis" Hernych will be playing on center court. Tim deserves to be shown there as he is popular in America, done well there in the past and is simply a big name in tennis.

Boris Franz Ecker
03-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Wasn't Henman multiple times in the Wimbledon semi finals?
What did Ferrero instead?

So, no problem.

gusman890
03-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Henman payed his dues, he deserives what he gets in this world.

case
03-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Henman payed his dues, he deserives what he gets in this world.

he might have paid his dues but he really hasnt WON anything;)
cant imagine what he deserves...:confused:

only reason he is known at all is because britain has had a long drought in producing a good player.
Essentially he is a big fish in a little pond (or island)!

*Ljubica*
03-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I guess the tournament will get some kind of cut of the money from the TV rights, and as Sky TV will have paid a lot of money for this event, they will want to get their ratings up by showing a Brit at one of the few times when European viewers will be able to comfortably watch it because of the time difference. Tim's match is on pretty much prime time here, and a lot more people here will tune in to watch him or Murray, rather than some WTA match involving someone we have never heard of. Who is Vania King anyway :shrug: Anyway as others have said already, Tim is a former IW finalist, a former Top 10 player, and likely playing his last year on the Tour. Good luck to him, and I am certainly looking forward to seeing him this evening :)

JBdV
03-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Because Americans think he's Hugh Grant with a tennis racquet

*Ljubica*
03-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Because Americans think he's Hugh Grant with a tennis racquet

:lol: Wel I don't know whether that's true, but I know he's popular in the States. I also know that an awful lot of Brits do go to Indian Wells - I have a lot of friends there this week - they kind of combine it with an annual holiday in the sunshine, as well as watching tennis, so that could be another reason.

Horatio Caine
03-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Geez...get over it the lot of you. He is there in black and white on the OOP...accept it. :rolleyes:

Besides, he is still one of the biggest names out there, and without his injury problems, I think he'd still be in the top 30 anyway. What is the problem with him being on that court? Worse things have happened.

Snowwy
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM

So youre saying that King only lost because she couldnt take the heat? Cuz Im sure it was about 41C every day whjere Ivanovic came from :o

To blame one players poor results cuz of the heat is just anotehr bad attempt from people that cant admit a player lost cause they didnt play as well or they arent as good.

danton
03-10-2007, 02:31 PM
I was surprised when I saw it but then I looked at the tournaments other options and it made sense. Tim has been a consistent top 10 player over the last 10 years and People watching know him. It could be a competitive ATP match which people would much prefer to watch than a WTA thrashing.

Plus people here in the UK will be watching on SKY who will probably have made the request to the tournament to have it on a key court and early on so it starts at 6pm UK time.

Is there really the need for the nastiness in the posts from Verdasco? - Tim has earned the respect the right to some perks in the twilight of his career.

Yappa
03-10-2007, 02:53 PM
It's one user against the rest of MTF, it seems.
It's good to see Henman on Stadium 1.

valexie03
03-10-2007, 03:35 PM
This has the potential for a good match! Go JAN :rocker2:

Adler
03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
It's one user against the rest of MTF, it seems.
It's good to see Henman on Stadium 1.
And it's one of the last chances to see him playing live

Raquel
03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Geez...get over it the lot of you. He is there in black and white on the OOP...accept it. :rolleyes:
Exactly. If we went through every Masters Series OOP there would be a lot of matches over the years that would be less worth a Centre Court spot than this. It's the first round. If Tim was taking night match spots while Andy Roddick was on Court 3, I would understand the reaction, but it's not really a big deal. Also, Tim has an old school serve-volley game we won't see too much of at all when he's gone.

Sjengster
03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Hernych has a fairly old school game himself, so this will be an interesting match to watch - don't expect much topspin from either man.

Snowwy
03-10-2007, 06:11 PM

And Im sure Ivanovic won 6-3 6-0 today cuz of the coldness? Whats the excuse this time?

SloKid
03-10-2007, 06:41 PM
And Im sure Ivanovic won 6-3 6-0 today cuz of the coldness? Whats the excuse this time?
Yes, well there's also the fact that King is not all that good.

As an average US tennis fan I would be pretty pissed if I had to watch that one-sided borefest instead of what appears to be a tight men's three-setter.

BlakeorHenman
03-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Seeing Glenn so vigorously defending my Tim just warm my heart.

blank_frackis
03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
The way the tournament is set up with the seeded players receiving a bye to the second round makes this sort of thing inevitable, it turned out to be an ok match so why this issue merited its own thread is a little beyond me.