Playing to the level of your competition [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Playing to the level of your competition

Angle Queen
03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Do you find this is true for you? Do you play better against better opponents...or do you let them/their rating/reputation intimidate you? Conversely, does your game slide a bit when you're facing someone you know you can beat?

I'm a 3.5 getting ready to play a bunch of 4.0s in a weekend tournament. Hope I can step it up!

chewy
03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
i think it goes both ways for me, i believe i do play better against tough players and i think its because i'm more focus. but about the intimidation factor, it does affect me when the desire to win isnt that strong on the day.
like when i lack the will to fight.

have fun at ur tournie, show'em ur A game!

HKz
03-11-2007, 03:47 AM
This is somewhat true for me. Against higher opponents, I will usually play around my average to above-average. But against slower players, such as pushers, my game steps up a lot and somehow my tennis becomes extremely good and I make a load of winners. Against people I know I can beat or I've beaten before, I will continue to win even better. There has only been one player that contradicts this though, which I talk about in my thread :mad:

UDACHi
03-18-2007, 05:25 AM
last summer i played in a league where the majority of the players involved were far below my level, and i found myself playing very streaky against them. i would come out playing crappy and it would take me until i got behind in the score to realize how much better i was. lots of close scores against shitty opponents. :tape:

tennisplayer89
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Usually, most players play better against better opponents than worse opponents. When I play a better opponent, I feel there is a need to prove myself. So, I usually end up playing well. When I play weaker opponents, I sometimes underestimate them.

Aerion
04-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Usually, most players play better against better opponents than worse opponents. When I play a better opponent, I feel there is a need to prove myself. So, I usually end up playing well. When I play weaker opponents, I sometimes underestimate them.

I wondered that too. I also play worse when I play a lesser (ranked) opponents. It's a mental thing eh? :p

DrWho
04-25-2007, 01:55 PM
My mates are also my hitting partners and are probably ranked as no2 and no5 in our region. When playing matches against them I'll seldom win, pick up a set now and again but my game steps up. Then I go and play league matches against players who float the ball over at 5mph and I cant deal with it. Maybe time to find a bigger variety of hitting partners.

Angle Queen
04-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Maybe time to find a bigger variety of hitting partners.This is my biggest challenge. As a new mommy, finding time to be on the court at all is a huge obstacle...but even before, since I'm not a member of a club, I was limited to my (USTA) teammates. Granted, we're one of the tougher teams in the division, but still, you get used to their styles and tendencies.

Hopefully, we'll join a club this fall (that has daycare!) and I'll be able to join more leagues and challenge ladders.

Topspin92
04-29-2007, 12:12 AM
This is the exact same that happens to me. I think the reason is that it is more fun to play good players.When you have a shit time playing agaist bad players, your less willing to play, and less focused.

Burrow
04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I wondered that too. I also play worse when I play a lesser (ranked) opponents. It's a mental thing eh? :p

yes absolutely, i step it up when i play more capable opponents.