In Doubles.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

In Doubles....

Aerion
03-08-2007, 09:08 PM
What to do when the opposing team keeps lobbing, high balls, to my partner? My partner is standing on the baseline and she just keeps lobbing back unable to come in.

Even when I moved back in line with her, they were good enough to continue the high balls to her.

At the net, they were way over my head and heading to her.

:mad: :mad:

Bobby
03-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Tell your partner to hit a lob and come in. May be difficult, but as you know, they key to winning in doubles is to move forward. I'm not sure this is a good advice... I have played quite a lot of doubles and can imagine your frustration. Anyway, best of luck! Hope you'll find a solution!

Angle Queen
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Generally, I'd agree with Bobby, hit a lob yourself (or your partner, in this case) and come on in...even if it means you have to retreat to chase their return lob.

Another tactic, if you can pull it off, is a heavy slice or drop shot...as I think it's harder for your opponent to hit an effective lob off of that incoming shot. In addition, it might bring them...and again, it's harder to hit an effective return lob from inside the service line. Having everyone at the baseline just invites a long rally of groundstrokes.

But I feel (and know) your frustration. These are the most :banghead: types of opponents to play against. They try your patience and stamina...since their game is predicated on keeping the ball in play and waiting for you/your team to make the error.

Aerion
03-09-2007, 04:06 PM
:worship:
Hey thanks. They ended up beating us 6-4, 6-4. :eek:

Angle Queen
03-09-2007, 05:23 PM
:worship:
Hey thanks. They ended up beating us 6-4, 6-4. :eek::sad:

So sorry. Sounds like it was a close one. Perhaps next time. ;)