Tennis chat with Peter Bodo [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis chat with Peter Bodo

KC13
03-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi

I just checked the espn site and the tennischat with Peter Bodo was on inside.Anybody knows whether it is worth to invest in insider to read it?

Thx

DwyaneWade
03-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi

I just checked the espn site and the tennischat with Peter Bodo was on inside.Anybody knows whether it is worth to invest in insider to read it?

Thx

I'll post it. I have an account.

BTW, if anyone ever wants an ESPN Insider stuff PM me or post here

DwyaneWade
03-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, March 7, TENNIS Magazine senior editor Peter Bodo will stop by to answer your questions about the latest tennis news.

Peter has been covering tennis for more than 30 years, almost all of them while working for TENNIS Magazine, where he is also the author of the popular weblog, Peterbodostennisworld.com.

Pete was the winner of the WTA Writer of the Year award twice, in 1979 and 1981. He's also become TENNIS' representative in the media and other public forums. He's covered events as diverse as the Ali vs. Foreman "Rumble in the Jungle" heavyweight title fight, the NCAA Final Four, Major League Baseball, world-class soccer matches, Indianapolis 500, NFL playoffs, and pro bass fishing events.

Send your questions now and join Peter here in The Show on Wednesday at 1 p.m. ET!

SportsNation Buzzmaster : Peter will be here soon. Keep sending in your questions!

SportsNation Buzzmaster : Sorry everyone just trying to track down Pete, hang in there!

SportsNation Buzzmaster : Hey tennis fans, Pete travels so much he is a hard man to track down. At the moment we are still looking for him, but as soon as we get a hold of him we will let you know. We are saving all your questions for when the chat starts, so keep them coming! Once more, I apologize.

SportsNation Buzzmaster : Hey guys Pete is here, so let's go!

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Hey everyone! I am back from a great vacation in Belize so far away!

alice,chicago,Illinoise: Bodo, I think your comments on Mauresmo are outrageous and unfair.The lady is 27 years old;played in Paris,won and was forced to fly to Dubai hours after winning Antwerp and you still want her to play IW just because the "big cat" williams is not there?what a load of rubbish.Money doesn't make injuries go away compadre;ask big cat williams or Sharapova.

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Well Hell Cat, I just don't think that Mauresmo playing those two tournaments and then getting back is all that much of an ask. Call me crazy but I find it amusing when fans take a position that players ough to play as few events as possible so they won't get injured. I can name a thousand athletes who have done something similar to Dubai and Indian Wells in that time span. Mauresmo does get some credit for stepping up and filling in at Dubai not question about it.

Richard (NY): Pete I was just curious about your thoughts on the Dubai Open as an overall tounrney? It seems like Dubai is becoming one of the hottest destination for not only sporting events but travel in general. What can we expect from this tournament in the coming years? Is it/will it become a must play for all the big names?

SportsNation Peter Bodo: That is a great quetion. Dubai is doing a great job trying to connect with the West on a PR standpoint to a certain point. But the fact that they don't let people into the country with an Isreali passport is downrights offensive. But they treat their athletes like rock stars, and take care of them so that is why they get the names. The real key to the quality of the Dubai event is how many paying customers it attracts.

Eddie B: Hey Pete! Gustavo Kuerten did a chat this week, and my question to you is, what do Guga's final years in tennis hold for him? Can he become a top 50, or even a top 25 player again? Good to have you back for the chat!

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Thanks Eddie! You know it will be an awful long way back for Gustavo, because he was one of the best loved and most charismatic pro of his day. I don't think you can count a multiple Slam winner out right away. Still I think he has a very tought road ahead, because there are a lot of very good young players out there, who he has to overcome before he can even get a shot at the big dogs. Remember with the exception of that one big year where he clinched the number 1 ranking, he never had a particularly impressive record outside of the clay. What is important for Guga is to do well on a variety of surfaces throughout the year, which will accumulate him enough points to be seeded.

Maren, San Jose, CA: Pete, can I get your take on what happened in Las Vegas? Seems to me this was completely avoidable if the rules had just been followed. Clearly looked like Etienne was playing favorites before reversing his decision

SportsNation Peter Bodo: You know it is funny Maren, but this was one of the worst calls any tennis official has ever made. In a way there is alsmot no issue there. it was what it was, and it may seem strange but I give Etienne a certain amount of credit for recognizing his mistake and apologizing. Now what is interesting about it was it revealed what the new CEO brings to tennis, his reactions seemed to be driven by the underlying belief that Blake is a more important player to have at a tournament than Korolev. Now I don't think Eteinne really believes that, but it is his natural instinct as a marketing guy and there is nothing sinister about thsi either, it just kind of exposes a way of thinking that is valuable to understand, afterall, how often do you get that vivid and clear a glimpse behind the curtain. There was one other factor in this that not a whole lot of commentators addressed which is that the entire controversy partly occured because of James Blake understandable desire to defend his own rights as a player. This crisis tells you that James Blake has an awful lot of clout and enjoys a great deal of respect in the game. For instance I doubt Etienne would have fielded a 3 am call if it Karolec protesting the advance of Korolev. Ultimately the wrong was aknowledged and corrected quickly, so I put it all down as an interesting peak behind the curtain.

SportsNation Peter Bodo: The best thing that came out of the mess was that this probably was the last nail in the coffin of the round robin...a silly, useless experiment.

Mary (VA): Any thoughts on Haas recent win of Roddick? What should we expect from Haas in the next few months?

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Mary, I think Haas has been playing great tennis, and when I was down in Nick Bollettieri's in December I saw him working out and he looked very good. Haas has been through a lot in the last few years including injury and a serious accident involving his parents. The guy is very talented, and I picked him early in the year as the best dark horse candidate to win the Austrlian. He is playing some great tennis and I feel like this is the year he has to make a big move at the Slams. All things being equal I think he will be a real force, especially on the hardcourts. I don't know if he will win a Slam, but I think he is capable of doing it.

Sam (Arlington, VA.): Hey Pete, Who will have the more accomplished career: Sam Querrey or JM Del Potro?

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Wow sam you really know the young'ins. I think those two guys have a tremendous amount of promise. So far I prefer what I have seen from Quarrey, even though Del Potro has a slightly more attractive game. Quarrey did not play a tremendous amount of Junior Tennis, so he has really been learning on the job. What I really like about him is that he seems to have a big appetite for competition and he understands what his big game is all about. A guy who knows his game and loves to compete, who can make power like Quarrey on his serve or forehand, stands a great chance of being a force. I'm not sure Del Potro at this point is on the same competitive track, plus he seems to be pulling up with injuries more frequently than a young guy should.

patrick (bessemer): Peter, When the WTA calendars are revised, do you think Indian Wells will be a mandatory event for them? Hope their Level A (9 tourneys) includes it.

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Thanks Patrick, that is one of the more interesting questions floating aorund as we await the WTA decision. Indian Wells as I understand it is in the running to be one of the four big, mixed gender events on a future calendar that better intergrates the two tours. However, the prize money offered to the women is cosiderably smaller than what the men get. And this is a tournament that has struggled with financial issues and is lucky to be still on the map in its present location. I think it will be a lock for Indian Wells if they pony up equal prize money. By the same token I would hate to see such a regular, popular (Indians Wells if the fifth best attended tournament in the world), lose status because it can't find enough money to meet the WTA demand...I'll be writing a big picture analysis of the entire road map situation on my weblog in the coming days.

Alex in Springfield,PA: In the category of who cares, I'll ask anyway: Whatever happened to Guillermo Coria?

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Who cares? I care! Guillermo Coria has been putting together one of the strangest and saddest episodes in recent tennis history. His confidence, apparently, is totaly shot and his unbelievable loss to Gaudio in that French Open final has to be an omnipresent, ongoing nightmare. I understand there are also reasons, fo a personal nature, that have made his life particularly difficult, since that ill-fated day in paris. This truly is one of the saddest stories of our time, given the fact that before Rafael Nadal came along, Coria was Nadal.

patrick (bessemer): Recently, I read where Nadal is saying that nothing is wrong with his tennis, it is mental. Do you think that explain his play since his surprising run @ Wimbledon? Since Nadal is on a 60 match winning strak on clay, do you think he should have played the Latin America swing instead of Dubai to get some confidence in himself?

SportsNation Peter Bodo: That question about restoring his confidence is an excellent one. My gut feeling is the money in Dubai was too good. Also remeber the pro tour is like a Shark infested pond the minute your rivals smell blood the feeding frenzy begins. Having said that I don't think Nadal's confidence is in such bad shape that it would have been a great move to play the clay events. But rmemeber that Dubai is basically a tune up for the two required Masters events coming up.

Elizabeth City, North Carolina: Pete, After being out of the public eye for so long, what do you think the driving force was for Jimmy Connors to come back as a coach? Thanks

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Well I think Jimmy experienced a "late life" desire to be in the mix again. This is an entirely natural development given the distiguished place Connors held in the game, right through his Senior Tour days. I don't think Jimmy is cut to be a regular fixture in the commentary booth, and I know his competitiveness is as fierce as ever. I think seeing what was happening with American tennis and taking a shine with Andy Roddick on a personal level, I think created the perfect situation for Jimmy to return. So it will be interesting to see what the future hhold, should his partnership with Roddick goes stale or dissolves. Was back when, I once asked Jimmy what he would most miss when he retired from the pro Tour. he didn't hesitate a moment, he just looked at me and immitated a person clapping without even saying a word. That spoke volumes of Jimmy's basic love being in the public eye.

Mike, Tacoma, WA: Tennis seems to have lost steam here in the US, what do you think the USTA can do to better promote the sport?

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Boy that is an awful big question Mike. I think creating the US Open series was a huge step in the right direction. And I think the key to revitilizing the sport is producing a couple of fresh, appealing champs. This of course is easier said than done in an increasingly global envoronment. I have pretty much given up on the idea that you can just promote tennis as a great game and expect to win over a significant portion of Americas main stream tennis fans. The key to energizing tennis, increasingly seems to be having top players whom people find interesting and fun to watch. Actually, I don't think the game is in particularly bad shape popularity wise. It may be in the second rank in specator sports, but it is at the front of the second rank.

Denny (Missoula, MT): Hi, Who do you think is going to win the IW women tennis tournament? Sharapova? Have you more recent info about the current form of Sharapova?

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Denny, how are you man? I'm dying to make another trip to the Big Sky country, but it won't be until October. From where I sit it looks like Sharapova has a lock on the Indian Wells title. She is a consumate pro, who understands she needs to take her opportunities when they present themselves and she is most capable of exploiting the weak draw to add fat to her ranking. There has been some talk of a pulled thig muscle, I belive, which she had to deal with earlier this year, but I sort of discount that as a factor and expect that she will do what she does best: beat the people she is supposed to beat and make the best use of her limited, but effective game.

SportsNation Peter Bodo: Great questions today! You guys were really on fire! I'm heading out to Indian Wells on Saturday and I'll catch up with y'all after that trip. Happy trails!

KC13
03-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Thx a lot :worship: :worship:

If there is something interesting on college hoops or tennis,i surely wil pm you