Great clip of Pete sampras "What are you smoking?" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Great clip of Pete sampras "What are you smoking?"

twmeier
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Check out this old clip of Pete. It isn't very often you see him arguing with an umpire.

http://www.mytennistournaments.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=210&tab=getajaxsandboxTab&Itemid=77

Anyone have any other behind the scence clips of Pete?

Metis
03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
The commentator: "Pete having to work hard, but he holds."

Yes, those long rallies he had to play to save that game were really exhausting. :lol:

RonE
03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
hehe good ol' Pete ;)

Yappa
03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey, I like Petes shirt. :)

That camera view is horrible (too low). I hope that they didn't have that one for the whole match.

RonE
03-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey, I like Petes shirt. :)

That camera view is horrible (too low). I hope that they didn't have that one for the whole match.

They did for large portions of that match :o

Actually this match has grown so much in legend and reputation because of the drama but personally I think you can scrape the first four sets and 12 games of the fifth set and just watch the final set tiebreak. Apart from the drama with Pete barely walking, throwing up and saving MP the rest of the match was really nothing to write home about in terms of quality.

Or Levy
03-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Oh, I looked for the clip of that tie breaker, but I couldn't find it on youtube.

twmeier
03-07-2007, 11:55 PM
To see the clip, just follow the link on the first post.

Marek.
03-08-2007, 12:07 AM
This one's good too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrLCLZuiQk

trixtah
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Personally I like the low angle

Snowwy
03-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Pete's amaizng there, thats something I never saw from him albeit I didnt watch him all that much when he played.

Bibberz
03-08-2007, 01:33 AM
I love Pete's delivery of that line. It could have been straight out of The Sopranos.

angiel
03-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Actually this match has grown so much in legend and reputation because of the drama but personally I think you can scrape the first four sets and 12 games of the fifth set and just watch the final set tiebreak. Apart from the drama with Pete barely walking, throwing up and saving MP the rest of the match was really nothing to write home about in terms of quality.

It is one of the greatest matches of all time.:worship: :worship: :angel:

Spris
03-09-2007, 04:48 PM
It is one of the greatest matches of all time.:worship: :worship: :angel:

"What are you smoking?"

angiel
03-09-2007, 04:51 PM
"What are you smoking?"

I dont smoke.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D what are you????

NYCtennisfan
03-10-2007, 12:50 AM
I dont smoke.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D what are you????

:haha: :haha: Oh angiel...:haha:

twmeier
04-11-2007, 05:49 PM
That was funny to hearing Pete drop the F-bomb. You just don't expect it from him.

Anyone else have any good youtube clips?

Merton
04-11-2007, 08:03 PM

That match point that Alex lost still bothers me, he would have won if he tried the passing shot down the line instead of cross court. Yes, Sampras anticipated perfectly and yes, this is a useless "what if".

Alex executed his game plan perfectly, his heavy ball gradually wearing down Sampras. From the point of view of a Sampras fan it might look like a long grinding match where just the tie break drama was of any value but from the point of view of a Corretja fan it was a great match and a huge missed opportunity. I will never forget Alex crying as he left the court, it was such a sad moment especially knowing that such an opportunity would most likely never arrive again at the US Open.

Merton
04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Back to the episode at hand, I was actually happy at the moment since Sampras was spending valuable emotional energy at a moment when he was already obviously worn out.

sodman12
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Must have taken you awhile to come up with that one

cmurray
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
If Pete ever asked me what I was smoking I'd tell him:

"Your back hair, and it's going to take me a month to smoke it all. :sobbing:"

WHere's that vomitting emoticon when you need it. UGH!

Also, your signature sounds delicious (when was the last time anybody got to say that??? )...just one question...do sundried tomatoes count as raw vegetables?

cmurray
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
:haha: I like how you said it "sounds delicious" right after you said you needed a vomit smiley. :lol: And well, they're dried, not cooked, so I guess they count. ;) But yeah, I've made the salad quite a few times and it's fantastic.

Well, I needed something to distract me from the prospect of Pete and his hirsute back. :scared:

Kitty de Sade
04-11-2007, 10:12 PM
WHere's that vomitting emoticon when you need it. UGH!

Also, your signature sounds delicious (when was the last time anybody got to say that??? )...just one question...do sundried tomatoes count as raw vegetables?

Excuse the threadjack, but I'll take any opportunity to talk up raw foods. I eat sundried tomatoes every single day- yes Cheryl they are raw. Good for you on all fronts- including amping up your sex drive...how about that as a side effect? :aplot:

Poor Pete- the irony of his travelling hair line...:(