Bill Threlfall passes away. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bill Threlfall passes away.

MarcM
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1254733,00.html.

Still can't believe it, only last week i was listening to him commentaiting at Rotterdam. :sad:

Rip.

scoobs
03-07-2007, 06:04 PM
He wasn't my favourite commentator but he was instantly recognisable and it's going to be very weird without him - very sad news :(

RIP Bill.

*Ljubica*
03-07-2007, 06:09 PM
He was my favourite too, and I always used to defend him here from the people who slagged him off, and said that Sky should sack him because of his age and occasional memory lapses. That was part of his charm! He was a real star and I am deeply sad about this. Just glad he kept his job til the end, and died still employed doing the job he loved so much. RIP Bill :sad:

scoobs
03-07-2007, 06:11 PM
He was my favourite too, and I always used to defend him here from the people who slagged him off, and said that Sky should sack him because of his age and occasional memory lapses. That was part of his charm! He was a real star and I am deeply sad about this. Just glad he kept his job til the end, and died still employed doing the job he loved so much. RIP Bill :sad:
We should all be so lucky to do something we really love all the time, and do it as long as we possibly can.

It's like losing one of the distant family.

Sofonda Cox
03-07-2007, 06:15 PM
thats ashame:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
03-07-2007, 06:41 PM
:sad: :sad: moment

RIP Bill

the Murray Walker of Tennis commentary has gone :sad:

jazar
03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
RIP Bill.

i'll miss the dulcit tones of his voice. its a sad loss for tennis commentary. sky sports wont be the same without him.

Sunset of Age
03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I'll be missing the guy. RIP Bill.

aliasthad
03-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Nooooooo!

He was my favourite. :sobbing:

Raquel
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
RIP Bill :sad:

I often called Bill out on some of the gaffes but it was never in a mean spirited way and even Bill would laugh at himself on air with the commentators, and take a joke. I'll miss his commentaries.

Allstar
03-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Sad news.

Felt he spoke a lot of rubbish at times but was amusing none the less. Cant fault his enthusiam and passion for the sport.

RIP :(

delsa
03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Requiescat In Pacem.

Sjengster
03-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Oh Bill, it won't be the same without you - other commentators may be able to get set points and break points confused, but not with the same skill, joie de vivre and ability for self-ridicule that you possessed. And amongst all the errors he actually had some very good points to make in almost every match.

No-one at Sky could have predicted that right after Chris Bailey left Bill Threlfall would pass away, the team is being rapidly eroded. It's the end of an era!

TheBoiledEgg
03-07-2007, 09:21 PM
when did Bailey leave ? i just thought he was on hols or something

Sjengster
03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Judio posted it in the BBC/Sky etc. coverage thread, there's a new presenter in town. And not someone with a background in tennis, so there could be some cringe-worthy blunders coming our way.

jazar
03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
no one will be able to replace bill. they wont even be worthy of using his microphone.

Allstar
03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Judio posted it in the BBC/Sky etc. coverage thread, there's a new presenter in town. And not someone with a background in tennis, so there could be some cringe-worthy blunders coming our way.

Please dont tell me Bailey has left, thought he was just away for the week?

Martin
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
RIP Bill :sad:

To be still covering a sport at the age tells everything about his love for tennis and also makes his passing even more of a shock.

He made blunders but his self mocking made him a really likeable commentator and he will be sadly missed.

RonE
03-07-2007, 10:52 PM
RIP :sad:

I hardly got to hear any of his commentary but the little I did hear definitely had its charm even if he was slightly innacurate on some points.

Still as someone mentioned this is truly the end of an era with John Barret retiring and Bill Threlfall passing away :sad:

scoobs
03-07-2007, 11:00 PM

I hardly got to hear any of his commentary but the little I did hear definitely had its charm even if he was slightly innacurate on some points.

Still as someone mentioned this is truly the end of an era with John Barret retiring and Bill Threlfall passing away :sad:
Threlfall did the TMS events for Sky Sports religiously and whenever it was a pretty one-sided affair and not much really to say, you could tell when he was bored or not really into the match because you'd end up with a long rambling story about playing doubles against Lew Hoad back in the fifties or something like that, completely irrelevant in every respect to the match at hand.

I'm going to miss becoming cross with him for wittering on like that :(

There aren't really any commentators left like that anymore.

Mercer and Macmillan perhaps - that's it.

Henry Chinaski
03-07-2007, 11:02 PM
sad news. I always found his occasional bouts of senility endearing rather than irritating.

DrJules
03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Oh Bill, it won't be the same without you - other commentators may be able to get set points and break points confused, but not with the same skill, joie de vivre and ability for self-ridicule that you possessed. And amongst all the errors he actually had some very good points to make in almost every match.

No-one at Sky could have predicted that right after Chris Bailey left Bill Threlfall would pass away, the team is being rapidly eroded. It's the end of an era!

How is Gerald Williams who commentated so often with Bill.

RonE
03-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Threlfall did the TMS events for Sky Sports religiously and whenever it was a pretty one-sided affair and not much really to say, you could tell when he was bored or not really into the match because you'd end up with a long rambling story about playing doubles against Lew Hoad back in the fifties or something like that, completely irrelevant in every respect to the match at hand.

I'm going to miss becoming cross with him for wittering on like that :(

There aren't really any commentators left like that anymore.

Mercer and Macmillan perhaps - that's it.

Mercer is a tool. I guess that means Frew is truly the last of the Mohicans....

EDIT: Perhaps Fred Stolle too.

Goonergal
03-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I often called Bill out on some of the gaffes but it was never in a mean spirited way and even Bill would laugh at himself on air with the commentators, and take a joke. I'll miss his commentaries.

Ditto.

I didn't know he was that old either. It'll be so weird without him. RIP Bill :sad:

Shrinking Violet
03-08-2007, 01:40 AM
Really sad. I enjoyed his commentary a lot. Pretty gutted at it to be honest.

RiP, Bill. :sad: :sad:

Burrow
03-08-2007, 08:13 AM
His voice was recognisable soon as you heard it, I remember all the crappy jokes he used to crack haha, I remember that time at madird, 2005 when tursunov broke his rackets and had none left, i thought the guy was going to die of laughter! it definately wont be the same without you bill. goodbye sir.

RIP

Shabazza
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Sad news.

Agassi Aces
03-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Rest in peace Bill- always a pleasure to hear you commentate.

adee-gee
03-08-2007, 01:11 PM
A truly awful commentator, but sad news nevertheless.

Dancing Hero
03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
I liked Bill Threlfall's commentary. Along with John Barrett, one of the old school that gave some colour and insight to matches and personalities.

gooner88
03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Totally shocked and gobsmacked by this.
RIP Bill.

Mount Goddess
03-08-2007, 09:17 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: oh no :sad: :sad: :sad: I will miss Bill and his little funniness. He was the voice of tennis, he was my fav. He reminded me of my grandad.
No one will ever be able to replace him. R.I.P Bill

And Chris:sad: :sad: :sad: I thought he was just on holiday as well and he would be back for IW. I saw the new guy during the DC and he was pants:( :( :(

Sjengster
03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Not the same guy as the new presenter, O Goddess of the Mountains.

Horatio Caine
03-08-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't really remember him too well as a commentator but it is pretty surreal that he passed away when he was heard by millions commentating only a week or so ago. :sad: At least he died doing what he loved.

Rest in peace Bill.

Mount Goddess
03-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Not the same guy as the new presenter, O Goddess of the Mountains.
ohh thanks for telling me:) :) :) derr me!!

Aretak
03-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Only just heard about this, and it's really sad. Can't believe he's gone when I was only listening to him commentating on Sky a couple of weeks ago. :(

R.I.P.