.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Judio
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM

Sofonda Cox
03-05-2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/07/03/05/TENNIS_Blake.html

"Personally I made a mistake," he said.

"But we need to get things into perspective. We didn't make a decision to invade Iraq.

"I've heard words like 'doom' and 'apocalyptic', but 2 1/2 million starving in Africa is a disaster - this is a furry ball going over a net."

:haha: i like this guy more and more

scoobs
03-05-2007, 06:18 PM
On the one hand he's right.

On the other hand - shut UP Mr Disney.

mickymouse
03-05-2007, 06:21 PM
:haha:
But are the holy folks at MTF going to let him off? They may not agree with his assessment of the situation. ;)

lau
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
"Mistakes were made by me and not the organisation. I'm now advocating that we accelerate our review process. Hopefully it didn't affect anybody's life or anybody's livelihood - and I am never going to regret trying things."
:scared:

EDIT: BTW, every sport and most things can be reduced to "it´s just.....", like football is just 22 guys running for a ball, etc, etc :lol:
He is just trying to promote tennis with these words :D I can see the excitement and the new spectators that will appreciate the sport after the "this is a furry ball going over a net" ATP campaign :D

MarieS
03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
:retard:
So since tennis is not on the same level of importance as the war in Iraq, you're allowed to completely ruin it w/o anyone saying a word? :retard::retard::retard:
That's an awesome excuse; "at least i'm not fucking up as badly as Dubya is." Go kill yourself already :mad:.

Iván
03-05-2007, 06:26 PM
I must admit i thought this would be a major news story around the world but it was actually quite low key.

Its a pity...It kind of means tennis as a sport is in decline.

scoobs
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
These days he only seems to open his mouth to take one foot out and pop the other one in.

scoobs
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
So since tennis is not on the same level of importance as the war in Iraq, you're allowed to completely ruin it w/o anyone saying a word? :retard::retard::retard:
That's an awesome excuse; "at least i'm not fucking up as badly as Dubya is." Go kill yourself already :mad:.
He should adopt that as his motto.

"Not quite as bad as Dubya"

Or perhaps

"At least I didn't invade Iraq"

uglyamerican
03-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Tennis: no more than 3000 casualties, tops.

nobama
03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
OK this whole 'put this in perspective' line is quite lame. So I suppose the next time I make a mistake at my job I can just claim the 'well it's not like I made the decision to invade Iraq' defense. :lol: What an arseclow. I'm sure the players will be happy to hear he minimized their sport to a furry ball going over a net. :rolleyes: Clearly Mr Disney has hoof in mouth disease and the only good thing that can come of it is a player revolt to have him replaced with someone who is competent and knows something about tennis.

Socket
03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
"Look over there! Look over there! Nothing to see here. Move on, please."

:rolleyes:

MisterQ
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Mr. Disney: Iraq? Yes, I know I rock.

Sunset of Age
03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
He's really making a fool of himself, isn't he??

Getting in touch with Roger to excuse himself. And now a comparison with the Iraq Fiasco. Wow man. He's becoming really delusional.

Gulliver
03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
With any luck it will affect one person who will lose his job ;)

I actually think that de Villiers' position as CEO is now untenable with this remark. His gaffe over the Vegas fiasco was good enough, but this.....:eek:

It is totally disrespectful to the sport of tennis, let alone to the players. He had the gall to fine Davydenko for his remarks regarded as insulting to a tournament (and I wondered at the time if he was exceeding his jurisdiction in doing that). This remark, reducing tennis to "a furry ball going over a net", no matter what the context, shows me, at any rate, what he really thinks.

I hope that i) the players unite to initiate a vote of no confidence and ii) he is sacked by the ATP Board.

Or Levy
03-05-2007, 06:50 PM
He's an idiot. Obviously sports (any sport) isn't in the same level as the importance of ending world hunger, peace in the middle east, etc, etc. Just take your pick.

But he can't control all of the above, he is in charge of his job, and he messed up.

I'm just agast at the insanity of the reaction. Quite the petulant chilld, there.

uglyamerican
03-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Devilliers next idea:

Disney has had a lot of success with cartoon spokespersons---Jimminy Cricket, Mickey Mouse himself. Tennis should also have a cartoon spokesperson. Devilliers has suggested a comical cartoon Muhamed who loves to snack on pork. He'll unveil his sketches at a press conference soon.

Gulliver
03-05-2007, 06:56 PM
I am really incensed at this remark. It is so demeaning to the players. Doesn't any one else feel as I do? He's gone too far this time, surely?

scoobs
03-05-2007, 07:04 PM
The man can't seem to stop saying stupid things. I understand what he's trying to say and the point he's making about it not being a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, certainly not "doom" or "disaster" - but nevertheless he has to find a way of saying that makes matters even worse - dragging Iraq into it and so forth.

Plus, no matter what the context, the head of men's tennis dismissing tennis as "it's just a furry ball going over a net" can NEVER be a good thing.

zicofirol
03-05-2007, 07:09 PM

haha yes, I guess fifa, the NBA, NFL should all take the same approach, "who cares if we run the business badly, its not as important as the Iraq War" :banghead:

Saumon
03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
I really can't wait for Davydenko's reaction. :angel:
Ah! the irony!

alfonsojose
03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I really can't wait for Davydenko's reaction. :angel:
Ah! the irony!

:lol: Kolya trashed Sidney but he trashed all our sport.

Pea
03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
"Hey look! It's almost steroid season in baseball!!!"[/deflect]

vincayou
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Maybe Bush is saying the same stuff. Something like : "At least I didn't introduce RR format in Iraq".

Saumon
03-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I'd like to see de Villiers' furry balls going over a net. :mad: :armed:

Thank you! Do you realise that some of us will go to bed very soon and that they'll have that bad mental image in their head? :(

PoderShileno
03-05-2007, 10:35 PM

MariaV
03-05-2007, 10:43 PM
OH. DEAR.

And YAY, now I have a great excuse for my poor performance at work too. :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
03-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Maybe Bush is saying the same stuff. Something like : "At least I didn't introduce RR format in Iraq".

:haha: :haha: :haha: :help:

Awesome. Thanks for the laugh!

Corey Feldman
03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
He's becoming more and more of a disgrace...
its getting really serious now, i think even the ppl who were involved in helping him get into the ATP in the first place should be sacked as well, thats how bad it is.

scoobs
03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I'd like to see de Villiers' furry balls going over a net. :mad: :armed:
:lol:

You say repulsive things...yet I'm strangely drawn to you. :)

MisterQ
03-05-2007, 10:50 PM

Sofyaxo
03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
This guy really has no understanding or respect for the sport.

I get what he's trying to say, and yeah a pro sport is nothing compaired to those things. But for the people that care about what happens to tennis all these messes are a HUGE deal.

It's totally the tennis version of going into Iraq as far as worst choices ever goes.

Via
03-05-2007, 11:07 PM
:lol: Kolya trashed Sidney but he trashed all our sport.

i'm glad you guys point this out. talk about disrespect indeed. he should be fined a hundred times more than davydenko.

i always hate it when people try to put tennis into 'perspective' for me. it's not like i don't care about world events, or donate to charity causes, or do my bit for society. but i also deserve time out, and demand good quality leisure when i pay for it. if the head of a sport can't handle this, why is he still here?

Via
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
btw, how much is devilliers being paid for managing furry balls going over a net? too much, i'd reckon.

goldenlox
03-05-2007, 11:14 PM
I think trying to force players to play will not be a successful plan.
The top players care about being healthy for the majors.
The ATP events should be scheduled so players have options, and can take off if they're tired or injured.

This comparison with U2 is nonsense. The Super Bowl goes on even if Peyton Manning can't play.
IW, Miami, all TMS go on no matter who is in the draw.

Lee
03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/753/tennis2.gif

Dimitra
03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
at least one would except that he would have the decency to hold some respect for what pays him the bills..I guess not..

RickDaStick
03-06-2007, 12:28 AM
He is right. You people are overreacting. Im sure the words he used came from a 25 page letter from a MTF member saying how much RR sucks.

Kalliopeia
03-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Well I guess it takes a special kind of stupid to screw up "a furry ball going over a net," doesn't it, Mr Disney? But you managed it admirably!

Angeltroy
03-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Too bad we can't kick his furry ass over a cliff. :tape:

:haha: :haha:

kapranos
03-06-2007, 05:46 AM
Maybe we should just put poison in his coffee...? That would be nothing comparing to the Iraq war, right?

atheneglaukopis
03-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Maybe we should just put poison in his coffee...? That would be nothing comparing to the Iraq war, right?Maybe the WMDs are in his coffee.

Action Jackson
03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Dubya has more chances of finding Bin Laden than Mr.Disney has finding a whore in a brothel.

Merton
03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
:haha: :haha: Thank you for the entertainment Mr. Disney. I hope he doesn't give ideas to politicians, for example "well, it wasn't as bad as the Athenian expedition in Sicily" :tape: Corporate executives can say "well, it wasn't as bad as Enron" and so on.

alfonsojose
03-06-2007, 11:38 PM
http://img2.menstennisforums.com/753/tennis2.gif

Etienne's testicle :hug: :tears:

alfonsojose
03-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Maybe we should just put poison in his coffee...? That would be nothing comparing to the Iraq war, right?

polonium, Putin style :devil:

Sunset of Age
03-07-2007, 12:17 AM
polonium, Putin style :devil:

Aw - this is quite a bit harsh though!

Corey Feldman
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Etienne's testicle :hug: :tears::haha: