report tournament attendance numbers/experiences [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

report tournament attendance numbers/experiences

MaryWalsh
03-05-2007, 05:06 PM
I am changing the name of this thread from "is match attendance just a US problem?" to the current one, based on what I have learned from people's replies. I had thought that tournament attendance was a big problem in the ATP, and that is why Round Robin was being tried out. But based on replies so far, that does not seem to be the case.

Meanwhile, what people have been saying is interesting to me. I had never known anything about these numbers before, and they are giving me a better picture of the size and attendance of tournaments around the world.

I had also based my assumption of low attendance because of seeing fairly unfilled stands on TV. But I have learned here that many times people are crammed in the outer courts and practice courts, while the televised courts may be fairly empty. Also, some of the time, the upper tiers are where the fans are.

So, please continue to contribute what you know of tournament attendance in your country or city. And if you have attended, how crowded did it feel, and where were people spending their time. Thanks for all the responses so far. :)

Below is part of what I originally wrote, which is mainly a little rant on tennis on US television.

Speaking for the US (well, actually speaking for myself), we have a very narrow-minded way of televising the matches, which tend to make it seem that if a US favorite is not playing, then the matches are not much worth watching. For example, interrupting matches in progress with interviews of US players; over-hyping US players; telling the same stories about US players ad nauseum; making it incredibly difficult to find even scheduled matches on ESPN, which are changed without warning to re-broadcasts of American players; the strange idea that US audiences don't really need to see tennis matches live, and are happy to see them later on, when the scores are known or, by effort of the fan, the result has been carefully avoided in order to have the more exciting experience of uncertainty.

For many potential fans, TV is the entry. If it is too flawed, then the stimulus to go to tournaments is diminished. As for TTC, I have never seen it because it is not available in the Bay Area of CA. I have contacted them several times, and they say when ENOUGH people do they will start it . . . this does not help the sport either.

Via
03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
sports media is also very aussie-centric in australia. last weekend tennis suddenly gets mentioned again, because hewitt managed to break his titles drought.

i don't think tv broadcasting gets as bad as repeating aussies matches instead of showing other matches live, but it comes pretty close. generally tv broadcasters here treat viewers like idiots with their programming, and not just in sports. and there isn't much tennis outside of january anyway. luckily for tennis viewers, their memory usually do last a year.

deliveryman
03-06-2007, 12:03 AM
I really do not know the answer to this, so I am interested in other fans' experiences/opinions.

Speaking for the US (well, actually speaking for myself), I think that part of the problem is a very narrow-minded way of televising the matches, which tend to make it seem that if a US favorite is not playing, then the matches are not much worth watching. For example, interrupting matches in progress with interviews of US players; over-hyping US players; telling the same stories about US players ad nauseum; making it incredibly difficult to find even scheduled matches on ESPN, which are changed without warning to re-broadcasts of American players; the strange idea that US audiences don't really need to see tennis matches live, and are happy to see them later on, when the scores are known or, by effort of the fan, the result has been carefully avoided in order to have the more exciting experience of uncertainty.

For many potential fans, TV is the entry. If it is too flawed, then the stimulus to go to tournaments is diminished. As for TTC, I have never seen it because it is not available in the Bay Area of CA, and yes I have contacted them several times, and they say when ENOUGH people do they will start it . . . this does not help the sport either.

IMO, part of what makes sport so exciting is the uncertainty of it. We watch football, basketball, baseball, partly for the anxiety/pleasure of not knowing what the outcome will be. In those sports, too, sometimes the match-ups are so one-sided that it is pretty dull. Even in superbowls, we often have to resort to rating the commercials because the game itself is a letdown. (Not true this year!) If it were ONLY about athleticism, you could watch acrobats, ballet, and so forth, and if you want programmed aggression, WWF :rolleyes: . The combination of athleticism and uncertainty is what makes sport so great, and tennis has everything that is needed. Tennis is fine the way it is. The way it is presented, at least in the US, is flawed.

Maybe the ATP needs our input, not just about axing RR, but about other changes which will fill the stands.

That's my two cents worth. Thoughts?

It's not just the U.S., it's like that with every country.

Here in Canada, (we don't have any notable singles tennis players so I'll live up to my stereotype and use Hockey as an example instead), they will replay Team Canada games that took place a day or two ago, rather than show like Sweden vs Finland live.

NicoFan
03-06-2007, 12:09 AM
I agree with most of what you said.

Bottom line is that it's difficult to follow tennis in the US. Sports are about competition, but simply speaking, it's supposed to be fun too to follow your favorite players or teams.

When you have to search for matches on TV, when there is constant re-airing of the same matches over and over again, when you have to hunt for information, and when many times following favorite players means sitting in front of your computer watching the mindnumbing movement of numbers on a live ticker (which more often than not freeze up at the worse possible moment), it's difficult and not very fun. :lol:

Much easier in the US to follow other sports. I've said this before so I'm repeating myself :lol: but if I want to watch the Yanks, I turn on my TV, and there's the Yanks live almost every night during the baseball season. Ditto NASCAR - I can watch NASCAR from the qualifying on Friday night to the Busch race and Nextel practice on Saturday to the actual Nextel race on Sunday - with tons of additional coverage. You get the point - I don't have to mention the wonderful coverage of (American) football, and basketball on TV. And unfortunately golf.

If I'm a big sports fan, more than likely I'll watch the sports that I can tune into by merely surfing on my remote. Not a sport that I never can see on TV.

scoobs
03-06-2007, 01:37 AM
This is one reason the USTA and Tennis Australia going after fans who post matches on the net on youtube or other places, and organisations who stream TV channels on the net, really PISS me off.

It's hard enough to find tennis when you want to watch it - even here in the UK at times, and we perhaps have nearly the best overall coverage in the world - you have to hunt the channels and times and they may show it live or not, or show a 1 hour highlights instead of the full match. Or you're forced to install software written in Japanese and pore at a screen size of about 340x280 pixels streaming tennis from some far-flung location because that's the only way you'll see it live.

It's not easy being a tennis fan.

That's why I find the attitudes of the USTA and Tennis Australia absolutely bewildering - fussing about negligable value copyright issues and managing to deny new avenues for fans to discover tennis and enjoy it. If they could be any more short-sighted I struggle to see how.

njnetswill
03-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Events is China struggle to get an audience, but I think that is more due to the fact that Chinese people are not inclined to take days off work to go see a sports event, especially if there are not Chinese players or reasonabe ticket prices. A lot of times, tickets are given away to businesses and business people end up being the ones attending the event.

The middle east events are a joke when it comes to attendence.

scoobs
03-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Events is China struggle to get an audience, but I think that is more due to the fact that Chinese people are not inclined to take days off work to go see a sports event, especially if there are not Chinese players or reasonabe ticket prices. A lot of times, tickets are given away to businesses and business people end up being the ones attending the event.

Dubai was pretty full in the day sessions and overflowing in the night sessions all the week long this year.

Doha was quiet until the SFs and F but the weather was unseasonably cold there this past January. The attendance in the Middle East events is normally very good.

njnetswill
03-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Dubai was pretty full in the day sessions and overflowing in the night sessions all the week long this year.

Doha was quiet until the SFs and F but the weather was unseasonably cold there this past January. The attendance in the Middle East events is normally very good.

Really? All the reports I've read the last few years always say that attendance is poor.

Via
03-06-2007, 02:03 AM

i was in beijing last september, and i think the main reason for poor ticket sales there was the pricing. they were not priced for the masses, especially the last few days. anyway tickets were given away when they weren't sold, so that the stadium always looked full. which means, as long as the price is 'right' there's no lack of interested spectators!

ServeAlready81
03-06-2007, 02:06 AM
The stands at the Tennis Channel Open :tape:

Deboogle!.
03-06-2007, 02:52 AM
Vegas was awful, but the bigger events in the US are well-attended. San Jose, Memphis, Houston, they are always well-attended, and the Masters events get HUGE crowds.

i really don't think attendance at US tourneys is any worse than most other places. I think Vegas was an aberration and a product of the horrific weather at this time of year.

MaryWalsh
03-06-2007, 03:05 AM
Vegas was awful, but the bigger events in the US are well-attended. San Jose, Memphis, Houston, they are always well-attended, and the Masters events get HUGE crowds.

i really don't think attendance at US tourneys is any worse than most other places. I think Vegas was an aberration and a product of the horrific weather at this time of year.

From what I saw on TV last year, IW looked rather bad, at least at times.
What I am trying to understand, though, is this: Are experiments like RR being implemented because there is a sense of dire necessity to increase tournament attendance? And if that isn't the reason, what is the motivation for tinkering with the system?

Deboogle!.
03-06-2007, 03:10 AM
From what I saw on TV last year, IW looked rather bad, at least at times. #1, the weather was bad early on last year. #2, at IW there is so much to see and do, a lot of people just stay out of the stadium, but the outside courts and practice courts are SWAMPED. To watch one match last year, we had to sit through two women's matches just to get a seat. People were lining up and creating havoc pretty much. I think what we see on TV can be deceptive, because the bigger the tourney, the more is going on. But unlike at a slam, at IW, you have to buy a ticket for the stadium to get in. So it's not like, say, Wimbledon, where people have Centre Court tix and Court 1 tix, etc., and OTHER people have groundspasses. at IW, it's one in the same, so yeah. But I don't think there's an attendance problem at IW at all. That's just my opinion after practically being pushed over several times last year :p
What I am trying to understand, though, is this: Are experiments like RR being implemented because there is a sense of dire necessity to increase tournament attendance? And if that isn't the reason, what is the motivation for tinkering with the system?That I can't even possibly begin to explain.

MaryWalsh
03-06-2007, 03:35 AM
^^ Thanks for the informed answer re IW. I appreciate it. It is certainly true that outer courts, and even practice courts, may be packed to stampede danger levels, while the televised courts may have just a handful of people.

Which leaves me wondering still, why the experiments?

Hendu
03-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Well, in the latin american clay season, Buenos Aires attracts more than 64.000 fans, Viña del Mar and Costa do Sauipe usually get around 25.000.
I don't have the numbers of Acapulco, but I think they had good attendance figures last week.

BATES
03-06-2007, 04:42 AM
Yep, as said, in Argentina, tennis attendance nor tv ratings are a problem. That obviously happens because of the lack of tournaments hosted in the country considering the ammount of argentines in the top 100 (11).

Aphex
03-06-2007, 06:08 AM
My impression is the Swedish tournies are doing pretty well. Night sessions at Stockholm Open were basically sold out. Båstad, I don't know, but they claim they do a profit.
Mainstream TV is dead outside the Swedish tournaments, you need cable/satellite for Masters and Majors. Minor tournaments outside the WTA is not shown much at all. Media coverage in general also suck when it's not Majors, DC, Båstad/Stockholm. Then the Toad is our highest ranked player so :shrug:

Action Jackson
03-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Sweden used to have geat coverage when the Swedes were doing well, but they have cut it back since they aren't. That's the same for Germany as well.

Aussies only see the AO and Wimbledon on free to air, the Masters events and the other 2 Slams are on pay-TV.

Venue wise the crowds are excellent at the Australian events.

Saumon
03-06-2007, 06:47 AM
In France there's just RG on free to air TV. (and they stop coverage earlier in the evening than Eurosport :retard: )
We also have one MC sf that is almost always cut to show the rugby HK and one bercy sf and the final.
When France is playing, and when France is playing ONLY, they show DC. But they don't show the 2nd friday match, the dead matches and more and more often the doubles. :retard:

nobama
03-06-2007, 07:28 AM
From what I saw on TV last year, IW looked rather bad, at least at times.
What I am trying to understand, though, is this: Are experiments like RR being implemented because there is a sense of dire necessity to increase tournament attendance? And if that isn't the reason, what is the motivation for tinkering with the system?I've been to IW twice. At the beginning of IW last year the weather was awful. It was VERY cold. But I was there for the SF and F and the place was packed, the main stadium almost full. According to Peter Bodo in 2006 IW was 5th among all tournaments as far as attendance. I know in the US TV coverage sucks but I think most tournaments are well attended unless the weather is crappy.

nobama
03-06-2007, 07:32 AM

i really don't think attendance at US tourneys is any worse than most other places. I think Vegas was an aberration and a product of the horrific weather at this time of year.Vegas was embarrassing, especially when compared to Dubai where it looked like there was a full house (at least for the evening sessions). I'm not sure if the weather was unusually cold or if it's just a bad time of the year weather wise to schedule a tournament in Vegas.

tripb19
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
AO turnout is usually excellent. It's not 'going to the tennis' over here - because of the fantastic location and weather it's usually a very popular social event or young people. To give you some idea of the pulling power of an Australian name for capturing the nation's interest, the AO 2005 was the most watched program in 2005 on Australian television for the whole year, with 4.04 million viewers, or 20% of the population. Tennis will grow even bigger when the next big Australian thing arrives.

Horatio Caine
03-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Doha's attendance over the last couple of years has been worse than embarassing mate

NicoFan
03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
This is one reason the USTA and Tennis Australia going after fans who post matches on the net on youtube or other places, and organisations who stream TV channels on the net, really PISS me off.

It's not easy being a tennis fan.

That's why I find the attitudes of the USTA and Tennis Australia absolutely bewildering - fussing about negligable value copyright issues and managing to deny new avenues for fans to discover tennis and enjoy it. If they could be any more short-sighted I struggle to see how.

Totally agree! :yeah: Pisses me off too.

NicoFan
03-06-2007, 01:16 PM
The attendance at the US tournaments aren't bad - in my original post, I was speaking more about TV rather than actually attendence.

Vegas was embarrassing - but it was cold.

And some of the time on TV it looks like there's no one there, but in reality, the tournament is full.

I know that from the US Open - people will tell me wow no one was in the stadium - pretty empty. And I've been there in person that day and know how crowded it is. It's because the people with the good tickets don't show up who have the good seats that get on TV - but the regular people are there crowded and cramped in the cheap seats. :rolleyes:

{Annie}
03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Well here in Russia we only have one tounament plus Davis Cup. DC Friday is usually quite empty due to the fact that it's a work day, but weekends are usually packed. However with ticket prices these days I wouldn't be surprised if the stadium will not be too crowded.

As for Kremlin Cup Monday to Thursday is a total disaster, especially morning sessions. There are hardly any people there usually... gets a bit more packed in the evenings and then the weekends are a full house.

But with an excellent TV coverage we have for tennis here on the local cable - I think a lot of people just stay in and save money and hassle :p

Saumon
03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Well here in Russia we only have one tounament plus Davis Cup. DC Friday is usually quite empty due to the fact that it's a work day, but weekends are usually packed. However with ticket prices these days I wouldn't be surprised if the stadium will not be too crowded.

As for Kremlin Cup Monday to Thursday is a total disaster, especially morning sessions. There are hardly any people there usually... gets a bit more packed in the evenings and then the weekends are a full house.

But with an excellent TV coverage we have for tennis here on the local cable - I think a lot of people just stay in and save money and hassle :p

I must have missed something.. since when is St Petersburg not part of Russia anymore? :confused: ;)

ranaldo
03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I really do not know the answer to this, so I am interested in other fans' experiences/opinions.

Speaking for the US (well, actually speaking for myself), I think that part of the problem is a very narrow-minded way of televising the matches, which tend to make it seem that if a US favorite is not playing, then the matches are not much worth watching. For example, interrupting matches in progress with interviews of US players; over-hyping US players; telling the same stories about US players ad nauseum;
That's my two cents worth. Thoughts?

Same situation in France. Lets say Kohlschreiber is playing against Richard Gasquet on the Suzanne Lenglen court during RG and Nadal vs Davydenko is being played on center court, there's no way the 2nd match will be shown live. Don't even think about it.

Margy
03-06-2007, 04:13 PM
And some of the time on TV it looks like there's no one there, but in reality, the tournament is full.

I know that from the US Open - people will tell me wow no one was in the stadium - pretty empty. And I've been there in person that day and know how crowded it is. It's because the people with the good tickets don't show up who have the good seats that get on TV - but the regular people are there crowded and cramped in the cheap seats. :rolleyes:

This infuriates me to no end at every tournament I go to. The only tickets available for single sessions are in the nosebleed section. All the good courtside seats are taken by corporations or rich bigwigs who come only for the marquee match each night. They are too busy with their money making jobs to take time off work to attend the day session. So to the TV cameras, the place looks empty. Yet tennis fans are there up in the far reaches of the stadium court just salivating at all the empty seats down below. It boggles my mind that the tournaments refuse to allow ticket holders to move down to occupy seats that otherwise are empty all day long. You look at the Oscars and other award ceremonies where the organisers have seat fillers to sit in a celebrity's seat if they get up for any reason, even to go to the bathroom. That "not an empty seat in the house" look makes the event seem so much more important. And nobody wonders what will happen when the celebrity shows up for their seat. Obviously the seat filler gets up and moves on. I really don't understand why organisers won't believe tennis fans are capable of doing the same thing instead of using the argument "but what if the actual ticket holder shows up". I'd gladly move and say thanks for the opportunity I had to sit in a decent seat for even a part of a match. Frankly, that is I think part of the reason so many fans spend so much time on the outside courts rather than up in the nosebleed section. A close-up match experience between 2 lower ranked players can be a lot more excitiing and much more personal than watching 2 big name players as tiny figures in the distance. I also usually spend most of my time outside for that reason.

If deVilliers is really interested in making a change that fans will like, this would be a great one to try. Let anyone with a ticket for that specific stadium sit in any available seat once the match begins with the understanding that you move if the ticket holder for that seat shows up. A simple, "excuse me, you're in my seat" would be all that is needed from a late arriving ticket holder. Anyone who refuses to move will be ejected from the tournament by the usher. That penalty should pretty much guarantee that people would readily move to another open seat rather than causing any difficulties for the actual ticket holder. Though most fans would not need any threats anyway and would be extremely happy for the chance to watch from decent seats so that the penalty would rarely be needed.

martinatreue
03-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think of Vegas as being a tennis place. Vegas is in many ways a very redneck Republican golf kind of town. Just don't think it's a tennis town really.

DrJules
03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Wimbledon, particularly, and Queens Club have no trouble attracting crowds in the UK. Wimbledon proves as difficult as ever to obtain tickets.

Via
03-06-2007, 10:11 PM
AO turnout is usually excellent. It's not 'going to the tennis' over here - because of the fantastic location and weather it's usually a very popular social event or young people. To give you some idea of the pulling power of an Australian name for capturing the nation's interest, the AO 2005 was the most watched program in 2005 on Australian television for the whole year, with 4.04 million viewers, or 20% of the population. Tennis will grow even bigger when the next big Australian thing arrives.

i think we need to explain to our foreign friends here that it's the school holidays in january, that's why no one seems to be working and kids aren't going to school :)

that's also why the AO constantly refuses to be moved not even shifting a few weeks to february, because that would mean a big blow to attendance.

Sunset of Age
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Okay, as I consider this an interesting subject (because of its relevance to the whole problem of 'getting more people into tennis' and the questionable measurements the ATP is taking for that reason ;)), I'll chime in with my 0.01 cents worth on the situation in The Netherlands...

We only have the ABN-AMRO Tournament in Rotterdam, and the ticket sales were much lower than last year. It was said per many including the tournament director Richard Krajicek that this was due to the Big Stars (the 'Usual Suspects' ;)) refusing to play there.

I dare to doubt this was the true or only reason, however.
First - there were quite a lot of good players around, including a fair number of guys in the Top 20. Plenty enough for an interesting tournament, anyway.

But... (oh dear, why is it that I *hate* patriottism so much... :mad:), there's currently no Dutch player in the top 150 (alright, corrected here: it seems Robin Haase has reached the #144 spot by now) so the PTB thought this yet another reason why the tournament wouldn't be interesting - there was hardly ANY coverage on TV, only very short highlights and the SF and finals were shown live.

Futhermore - nearly all the good seats went to Business Bosses, VIPs, sponsors and the like - people who appeared to be interested in anything, most notably the champagne in the backstage area, but NOT in tennis, as the telly constantly showed a nearly empty first ring.
The REAL tennisfans were banned to the cheap upper seats, where you need a telescope to actually recognize who's playing! Now this really pisses me off...

And then, the coverage in the national papers. All reported the tournament 'not being interesting', if they gave it any attention at all in this football-blinded country. Some even suggested that Youzhny was a very weak player to win this tournament - apparently they didn't even know the guy.

All in all, a very sad situation indeed. :sad:
So, to answer the OP - no, it's not just a problem in the US.

Raquel
03-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Wimbledon, particularly, and Queens Club have no trouble attracting crowds in the UK. Wimbledon proves as difficult as ever to obtain tickets.
That's true. The thing that pleasantly surprises me about Wimbledon though is the pull it still has over the TV ratings in the UK. The men's and women's final still get between 50% and 55% of the entire TV audience in the UK at the time the final is on. Even the day to day play at Wimbledon in the first week gets bigger audiences than normal programming on BBC would in the weeks without Wimbledon. The demand is there, but the BBC really only concentrates on grass court season and Davis Cup. As scoobsuk says though, we are quite lucky here in the UK for tennis coverage compared to some, especially during Wimbledon on BBC with a choice of 5 courts; and US Open, Master Series, Davis Cup and World Team Cup on Sky (when you get a choice of courts at US Open and Masters Series). Add to that Australian Open, French Open and some smaller events like Palermo, Kitzbuhel, Memphis, New Haven, San Jose, Estoril, Vienna, Gstaad, Halle, Queens, Doha, Dubai, Stuttgart etc. on Eurosport, we can't really complain too much.

smit101
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Australian Crowds are very solid. Hopman Cup gets packed, sydney is usually pretty full with about 7-10,000 there for the night sessions, although ticket sales are usually slow until the tournament starts. The australian open will always do well with people loving the 'big event' and especially with so many Australians in the draw. But lets hope we can get some more good players! :help:

gam_jonte
03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
skysports seem to have good coverage but does anyone know if i can get it from Sweden?
the only channels we have here are ES and ES2, and a new channel were they show some footage from Wimbledon and Båstad and that's it =/

Deboogle!.
03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070307/EVENTS10/703070334/1120/events10

LOCAL FLAVOR HELPS: Although they don't keep numbers for the first two days, tournament director Steve Simon said he has to believe the huge crowds on Monday might be the largest for the first day.

Simon estimated the crowds were in the 5,000-to-6,000 range.

"It was a nice open house day," Simon said. "It shows the continued growth of the event. We had quite a few with the prequalifying event (over the weekend) and that was driven by the local flavor of having Pam (Montez of La Quinta) and Coco (Vandeweghe, who trains in Palm Springs). This event is becoming a three weekend event now."

===========================

so 5,000-6,000 people showed up for pre-qualifying and women's qualifying. doesn't sound like an attendance problem to me.:)

R.Federer
03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
so 5,000-6,000 people showed up for pre-qualifying and women's qualifying. doesn't sound like an attendance problem to me.:)

Well, how much were ticket prices? If it is $0 or $10 or $20, people generally indifferent about TV versus courtside will go.

Attendance is a problem when ticket prices play a BIG role in decisions. USO tickets (even bleachers) are/were very expensive by the time the second week rolled around, but empty seats were not a giant problem if you looked around. That's a slam, though. At smaller tournaments, the casual fan is going to show up only if it is reasonably pricey to do so (Diehard fans will show up most of the time anywhere anyway).

Deboogle!.
03-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Well, how much were ticket prices? If it is $0 or $10 or $20, people generally indifferent about TV versus courtside will go.

Attendance is a problem when ticket prices play a BIG role in decisions. USO tickets (even bleachers) are/were very expensive by the time the second week rolled around, but empty seats were not a giant problem if you looked around. That's a slam, though. At smaller tournaments, the casual fan is going to show up only if it is reasonably pricey to do so (Diehard fans will show up most of the time anywhere anyway).I think qualifying is free, but I mean, qualifying is still usually pretty empty at most tourneys, even if it's free. The fact that THAT many people bothered to show up is a very good sign I think.

As for ticket prices, money is really not a problem in Indian Wells :lol:

R.Federer
03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I think qualifying is free, but I mean, qualifying is still usually pretty empty at most tourneys, even if it's free. The fact that THAT many people bothered to show up is a very good sign I think.

As for ticket prices, money is really not a problem in Indian Wells :lol:

That's true about Indian Wells. I do remember seeing something like the courtside seats (in the $1000's range) sold out.

Yeah, Indian Wells is not a good example to consider attendance issues. Something like New Haven or Houston might be, although those are not exactly hosted in poor townships either.

Deboogle!.
03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Houston's attendance is wonderful because of the promotion job Mattress Mack does. 3 years ago when i went, it was full for first round matches. Plus, a lot of people who are members of the club go to the tourney. Houston is a huge city and has some very very poor parts. The Westside Tennis Club is not particularly in an upscale part of the city. Houston is incomparable to a very affluent place like IW.

the LA tourney is also pretty well-attended even early on.

NicoFan
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
That's good news on IW. :yeah:

I go to New Haven every year. I wouldn't say it's great, but then again, it's not bad either. Sometimes it's hard to tell because a lot of families go - and they tend to hang around the kids play area (which is big), the food court, and outer courts where they have better seats.

Again, I don't think attendance is a problem in the US - it's more getting these same people to turn on their TV sets. :( But then again, it takes a lot of effort to find tennis on TV so it's kind of like a Catch-22 situation today.

aussie12
03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
there is attendance problems in australia outside AO. i went to the gold coast WTA event which holds like 1,000 people and was barely half full most of the time. TV coverage in australia doesnt help either, if your not a hardcore tennis fan, its hard to follow.

Havok
03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Even though Canada gets fucked in the ass every damn year, especially with the women (WTA ladies pull out like crazy, ATP big names drop like flies), tickets are always sold out. Obviously matches that start at 11 am aren't as full, but come 1 pm and onwards it's packed. Especially the night sessions. I was finally able to attend two night sessions last year and it was packed, felt like sardines. You could have counted the empty seats on your fingers and toes. Watching matches on tv is very deceptive. I don't know about other tournaments, but at the TMS/Tier I event in Montreal, the level 100 seats (the ones the video camera always catches) are the sponsors' seats and are never full during the day session. The rest of the stadium seats that are opened for everyone to buy tickets are full probably 80% of the time.

MaryWalsh
03-16-2007, 06:33 PM
I was watching the Nadal-Chela match and there were shots of the stands, including the nosebleeds. Very sparse, it seemed to me. Deb mentioned that IW is hugely attended and most people are on the outer courts. Would this still be true at this stage of the tournament? I'm still trying to get educated here.

tangerine_dream
03-19-2007, 07:28 PM
No problems with the Indian Wells attendance this year. :cool:

RECORD WEEKEND: Attendance was 20,741 for Sunday's day session, to establish a new tournament record for a single session. The old record was 20,294, set the day before. The previous record before this year was 19,055, set on March 10, 2005.
The attendance at the 2007 Pacific Life Open hit an all-time high of 303,398. It is the first time any tennis tournament outside of a Grand Slam has broken 300,000 spectators.

:bigclap:

danton
03-19-2007, 07:33 PM
It is when you compare it to London during Wimbledon and Queens. As a tennis fan who lives in London getting tickets is a nightmare. I didn't get any in either ballot this year :-(

Jimnik
03-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I know Wimbledon gets 400,000 a year.
Does anyone have attendance statistics for the other slams?

Kitty de Sade
03-19-2007, 08:01 PM
I know Wimbledon gets 400,000 a year.
Does anyone have attendance statistics for the other slams?

Good question- this is what I found @ the Slams in 2006:

The Australian Open is held each year in Melbourne, Australia and is one of four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, attracting a reported attendance of 550,500. (from Tennis Australia)

Roland Garros set an attendance record with 447,369 tickets sold, an increase of more than 22,000 from 2005. (from chron.com)

The U.S. Open also set an attendance record last year, 659,538, up from the mark (639,343) set in 2001. (from USAToday.com)

Boris Franz Ecker
03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
No it's not.
Remember, US tournament count every visitor 5 times.

nobama
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
No problems with the Indian Wells attendance this year. :cool:

:bigclap:Yes the same tournament some want to demote or get rid of all together because North America has too many tournaments or it doesn't fit right in their schedule. :scratch:

MaryWalsh
03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Based on people's replies I have changed the name of this thread and modified my original post. It used to be called "is match attendance just a US problem?"

The first post explains why I did it :)

Hendu
03-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Based on people's replies I have changed the name of this thread and modified my original post. It used to be called "is match attendance just a US problem?"

The first post explains why I did it :)

Good thread.

I'll look if I find some numbers, even if they are not from this season.

scoobs
03-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Here in the UK we definitely have the problem that the tennis tournaments are heavily oversubscribed and getting a seat at all, let alone a decent one on a showcourt, can require military planning or long queuing. Even the smaller tournaments like ATP Nottingham or WTA Eastbourne do not have problems getting bums on seats.

Hendu
03-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Australian Open 2007: 554,858 (4000 more than in 2006).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2001:

Buenos Aires: 48,348

Bogota: (no longer exists) 29.350

Viña del Mar: 18.500

Acapulco: 24.225

Memphis: 63.000

San Jose: 72.866

Milan: 34.500

Marseille: 50.000

Rotterdam: nearly 100,000

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=tennis-m/misc/at_the_net/at_the_net_031101.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buenos Aires

2001 48.348
2002 35.569 (rain)
2003 50.399
2004 59.520
2005 57.999 (rain)
2006 64.245
2007 64.525

2006:

Sydney: 72.533

Los Angeles: 83.681

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/02/26/01370576.html

Hendu
03-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Madrid AMS

2002: 103.775
2003: 116.500
2004: more than 100.000
2005: 120.440

http://www.masters-series-madrid.com/eng/eventinfo_history.htm

Gulliver
03-20-2007, 02:03 AM
Useful info from the ATP Rule Book:

I. ATP CIRCUIT REGULATIONS

1.22 SEATING AND ATTENDANCE

A. ATP Tournaments shall have the following minimum stadium court seating capacities, except as approved by the ATP.

ATP Masters Series 7,500
International Series Gold (Indoor and Outdoor) 5,000
International Series (Outdoor) 3,500
International Series (Indoor) 2,500

B. Each ATP Tournament shall meet two attendance requirements:
1) Minimum attendance for the week of:

ATP Masters Series 52,500
International Series Gold 35,000
International Series 17,500

2) Average minimum attendance per session during the final weekend of play in excess of 75% capacity for the stadium court.

Hendu
03-20-2007, 03:21 AM
Useful info from the ATP Rule Book:

I. ATP CIRCUIT REGULATIONS

1.22 SEATING AND ATTENDANCE

A. ATP Tournaments shall have the following minimum stadium court seating capacities, except as approved by the ATP.

ATP Masters Series 7,500
International Series Gold (Indoor and Outdoor) 5,000
International Series (Outdoor) 3,500
International Series (Indoor) 2,500

B. Each ATP Tournament shall meet two attendance requirements:
1) Minimum attendance for the week of:

ATP Masters Series 52,500
International Series Gold 35,000
International Series 17,500

2) Average minimum attendance per session during the final weekend of play in excess of 75% capacity for the stadium court.

I didn't know this.

Interesting, thanks.

tangerine_dream
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Sounds like Miami was a resounding success this year. :clap2:

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=16767&bannerregion=
Sony Ericsson Open By The Numbers
By Tennis Week
04/02/2007

The water from the front-entrance fountain wasn't the only constant streaming source at the Sony Ericsson Open last week. Fans flooded through the front gate at Key Biscayne's Crandon Park at a record-setting pace as the tournament set an all-time attendance record of 288,025 fans— nearly 16,000 more than last year’s previous record total of 272,033.

The final Sunday session drew a record crowd of 14,593 as 19-year-old Novak Djokovic defeated Guillermo Canas in straight sets to become the youngest Miami men's champion in history.

Andy Roddick struck a tournament-record 150 mph serve last Tuesday afternoon against David Ferrer, which topped Roddick’s previous record of 147 mph, set in 2004. Venus Williams clocked a 124 mph serve, matching the record she (2005) and her sister Serena (2001) currently own.

With almost 300,000 fans in attendance for the 22 sessions, here is a breakdown of all the food and drinks consumed by the Sony Ericsson Open attendees through Friday, March 30:

Two tons of Great Performances’ hot dogs
Seven tons of fries at The Grill & One Fish-Two Fish
Eight tons of sirloin beefs
1,500 Gallons of scooped Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream
6,000 orders of Mahi at One Fish-Two Fish
10,000 pizzas at Barilla Pasta & Pizza
10,000 cups of Starbucks coffee
20,000 Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Bars
20,000 Crepes from Crepe Express
35,000 lbs. of fresh and organic produce
50,000 bottles of Aquafina water
110,000 lbs. of ice

Tiger Woods, Sergio Garcia, the Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade, singer Kelly Rowland, actor George Hamilton, Star Jones, Miami Dolphins’ defensive tackle Keith Traylor and Daisy Fuentes were among those in attendance.

In total, the tournament sold out seven sessions, broke 10 session attendance records and also set the all-time attendance for one session with 18,910 fans. Next year’s tournament takes place March 26 – April 6, 2008.

Sunset of Age
04-03-2007, 05:46 PM
When I saw these numbers I wondered why some people tend to think that 'tennis is dead'... quite the contrary!

Does Mr. Disney know?

danton
04-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Here in the UK we definitely have the problem that the tennis tournaments are heavily oversubscribed and getting a seat at all, let alone a decent one on a showcourt, can require military planning or long queuing. Even the smaller tournaments like ATP Nottingham or WTA Eastbourne do not have problems getting bums on seats.

Exactly but the media will still tell you Tennis is a minority sport:cuckoo: and that's why you get bugger all on TV unless you pay for Sky for the TMS tournaments. BBC sports editor said exactly that ' it's a minority sport'.

Even in the tiny courts in Ukraine where we played our last davis cup there were plenty of Brits supporting. It's not just about Wimbledon I think we are quite a big tennis nation even if we do it sitting on our backsides.

Didn't get Wimbly or Stella tickets this year - as Scoobs said - if I go this year it is going to take a lot of planning, patience and perseverance.

Given how difficult it is to get into Brit tournaments it's kinda shoking to see often how empty courts are at the US open.

Lee
08-10-2007, 02:52 AM
How are the attendance numbers for Montreal so far? On TV it looks terrible, empty seats all over the place during the day and night sessions.

Are we watching different matches?

From what I saw so far, the upper decks were pretty crowded and the lower decks gradually filled up at later time.

Volcanic Tennis
08-10-2007, 04:08 AM
It's always the most attended one-week tournament of the year.
And I can confirm there are tons of people :p

RickDaStick
08-10-2007, 05:40 AM
How are the attendance numbers for Montreal so far? On TV it looks terrible, empty seats all over the place during the day and night sessions.

:haha: :haha: If you have been watching on ESPN which i am sure you then you would of heard the numerous times they mentioned how attendence is great and they are setting all kinds of records. Of course next week in Cincy it will look the same on TV but you will be telling us how great the attedance is :wavey:

tangerine_dream
08-20-2007, 10:20 PM
^^ Actually, I thought the seats looked empty at Cincy too but like Lee said, the stadiums would fill up as the match went along. People have to take their food/bathroom/cigarette breaks I guess.

On that note, the 2007 Cincy attendance numbers are in:

NOTEWORTHY - The final three sessions of the W&S set tournament attendance records. For the finals, 10,848 paid to watch Federer battle Blake, while 10,666 saw the Saturday day session and 10,796 viewed the Saturday night session.

Overall, the paid attendance was 165,422, slightly ahead of last year's 163,872.

tangerine_dream
09-20-2007, 11:00 PM
For those who are interested to know. :)

U.S. Open tennis tournament sets attendance, Web traffic records

September 19, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Attendance at the U.S. Open rose 12 percent to a record 715,587 this year, up from 640,000 last year, and the tennis tournament's official Web site drew more than 30 million visits for the first time.

The event's previous high total attendance was 659,538 in 2005.

The U.S. Tennis Association also announced Wednesday that the number of player-challenged line calls increased 40 percent, from 229 in 2006, to 320 this year. Players were right 31 percent of the time -- the same rate as last year, when the replay system made its debut.

U.S. OPEN TV RATINGS

The 4.2/8 for CBS' coverage of the U.S. Open men's finals, which saw Roger Federer defeat Novak Djokovic for his fourth straight title, is down 17.6% from last year's Federer-Andy Roddick final match, which earned a 5.1/10 overnight.

On Saturday night, the 2.6/5 for Justine Henin's victory over Svetlana Kuznetsova in the women's finals, is down 18.8% from a 3.2/6 for the Henin-Maria Sharapova final from '06.

Earlier on Saturday, CBS earned a 1.8/5 overnight rating for the Djokovic-Ferrer semifinal, down 5.3% from the time slot in '06, and a 2.1/5 for the Federer-Davydenko semifinal, a re-match of the '06 finals, down 19.2% from the time slot last year.

On Friday, the Henin-Venus Williams semifinal from 4:00-6:15pm earned a 2.4/6 overnight on CBS, up 20%, while the Kuznetsova-Chakvetadze semifnal earned a 1.6/5, down 11.1%.

Earlier on Friday, the men's doubles finals earned a 1.8/6 overnight rating on CBS from 12:30-2:00pm, up 38.5% from a 1.3/5 last year.

NYCtennisfan
09-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Huge crowds at the Open, great weather throughout...it was a lot of fun. This is the 2nd time in the last 3 years that we basically went an entire USO without any rain. In 2005, they had a 30 minute delay during one night session (Nadal and Jenkins were playing) and the rest of the days were perfect.

Neely
09-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Huge crowds at the Open, great weather throughout...it was a lot of fun. This is the 2nd time in the last 3 years that we basically went an entire USO without any rain. In 2005, they had a 30 minute delay during one night session (Nadal and Jenkins were playing) and the rest of the days were perfect.
booooo... we didn't have enough complaining about how slow and with what antiquated means they are drying the courts :( I think I remember something like that from the past when one started to complain about like: "In the land of technology they are drying the courts with towels and don't even have covers" and then soon there was a chorus "US Open sucks" ... "worst Slam ever", "Americans don't care about tennis" and all like this. This spiral was funny :lol:

tangerine_dream
01-29-2008, 01:37 AM
AO reports/attendance/ratings are in and it's good. :yippee:

Australian Open ratings not down under
January 25, 2008

ESPN reports a 12 percent ratings increase over last year for its Australian Open coverage, and those should get a boon tonight when Maria Sharapova takes on Ana Ivanovic in the prime-time women’s final (9:30 p.m. EST) on ESPN2. The average rating for its programs beginning between 7 and 11 p.m. (it has fluxuated) is 0.56, which doesn’t sound a lot but is reasonable for tennis’ first major of the year.

Neither finalist is American, but both trained here and are popular subjects for magazine shoots. According to the Australian magazine “Melbourne Age,” Ivanovic “was recently voted, on some tennis site or other, as the sexiest woman in tennis, beating Sharapova.”

ESPN2’s 3:30 a.m. sessions (which is prime time in Melbourne) have increased 107 percent, thanks to two matches that extended well into late morning U.S. time. The Lleyton Hewitt-Marcos Baghdatis match began just before 8 a.m. Saturday U.S. time and ended about 12:40 p.m. That match got a 0.61 rating, including 1.18 for the final hour.

-------------------------------------------

From Bob Larson's Tennis News:

Australian Open 2008 - A Tournament Summary

Australian Open 2008 has set crowd records with the current number of fans through the gates during the tournament standing at 584,476 (at the end of Day 13), already surpassing last year’s previous record for overall attendance of 554,858. It is the ninth consecutive year that the tournament has attracted more than half a million patrons.

Day four of the tournament saw another record set with the highest ever Grand Slam day/night combined attendance, with 62,885 fans through the gates. This broke the record of 61,083 which was achieved by the US Open on Saturday 1 September 2007.

A star-studded men’s and women’s singles draw included eight men’s Grand Slam champions and seven women’s Grand Slam champions and all of the top 32 women and 30 of the top 32 men . A total of 45 nations were represented in the singles main draws (32 countries in the men’s singles and 37 countries in the women’s singles).

Those who couldn’t get along in person made sure they kept in touch through the official website www.australianopen.com powered by IBM. At the close of play on Day 13, 6.6 million different people had already visited the official Australian Open website, up nearly 50% on last year’s figures for the same time. To date they have made over 30 million visits to the web site, with 30 percent of those visits from Europe, 22 percent from the USA, 16 percent from Australia and 14 percent from Asia. Overall www.australianopen.com has delivered more than 200 million page views , an increase of 55 percent on the same figure for 2007.

Click here to read more. (http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=23518)

Action Jackson
01-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Yes, they broke attendance records, yet matches at the Vodafone area were half filled for the majority of time.

tangerine_dream
09-10-2008, 02:25 AM
USTA press release:

2008 US OPEN BIGGEST IN 40 YEAR HISTORY
BREAKING ALL-TIME RECORDS

FLUSHING, N.Y.
September 9, 2008

-- The USTA today announced that the 2008 US Open was the biggest and most successful US Open in its 40-year history as revenue, attendance, website traffic, and concession sales hit all-time highs and American players excelled during the competition.

Attendance:
-A new all-time attendance record of more than 720,000 fans topped last year’s record
-Arthur Ashe Stadium was sold to a record 99% of capacity for the first time, with 23 of 26 sessions sold out
-Attendance has climbed by 180,000 vs. 10 years ago, and by 100,00 vs. 5 years ago
-The US Open remains the highest-attended annual sporting event in the world

-Total visits to USOpen.org, the official website of the US Open, topped 39 million visits for the first time, an increase of 33% vs. last year
-Unique visitors, from more than 200 countries, topped 9 million for the first time, an increase of 26% over last year’s record total
-Total page views exceeded 222 million for the first time

Television:
-The women’s final rating was up 57% vs. last year, and was the highest since 2002
-CBS’s ratings for the men’s semifinals was up 16% vs. last year

Competitive Americans:
-Americans captured four of the titles at the 2008 US Open: Women’s Singles (Serena Williams), Men’s Doubles (Bob and Mike Bryan), Women’s Doubles (Liezel Huber) and Girls’ Singles (CoCo Vandeweghe)
-Americans were runners-up in Women’s Doubles (Lisa Raymond) and Boys’ Singles (Devin Britton)
-Seven American juniors reached the quarterfinals for the first time in 20 years
Player Challenges:
-Now in its third year after its Grand Slam debut at the 2006 US Open, player challenges increased by 50% this year (an extra challenge per set was added for the 2008 US Open)
-A total of 477 calls were challenged with 155 (33%) of the calls being overturned

Celebrity Attendance:
-The USTA experienced its highest demand for celebrity ticket requests as the elite of sports, business, entertainment and music world descended on the 2008 US Open

-Entertainers attending the US Open included Will Ferrell, Anne Hathaway, Cameron Diaz, Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, John Hurt, Luke Wilson, Alec Baldwin, Steve Guttenberg, Chazz Palminteri, Rosie Perez, Sally Field, Kim Cattrall, Michael J. Fox, Kelsey Grammar, Glenn Close, John Turturro, David Blaine, Forest Whitaker, Greg Kinnear, John Lithgow and the cast of Entourage, and more

-Fashion world attendees included Oscar de la Renta, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Anna Wintour, Christie Brinkley, Martha Stewart, Brooklyn Decker and Naomi Campbell

-Athletes attending the event included Eli Manning, Greg Norman, Sergio Garcia, Nick Faldo, Paul Azinger, Annika Sorenstam, Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Rick DiPietro, Curtis Martin, Don King, Johan Santana, Omar Minaya, Reggie Jackson, Pudge Rodriguez, Jorge Posada, Jeff Gordon, and Olympians Aaron Piersol, Cullen Jones and Jason Lezak

-Business and television personalities included Sir Richard Branson, Ted Forstmann, Jann Wenner, Donald Trump, Regis Philbin, Howie Mandel, Charlie Gibson, Matt Lauer, Bob Schieffer and Tom Brokaw

-Musicians included Rob Thomas, Tony Bennett, Paul Simon, Vanessa Carlton, Constantine Maroulis, Neil Sedaka, Paula Abdul, Boyd Tinsley, Aretha Franklin, Anita Baker and Harry Connick, Jr.

"This year’s record-setting US Open was the ultimate convergence of sports, celebrity, business and entertainment," said Arlen Kantarian, CEO Pro Tennis, USTA. "We are extremely appreciative of our fans coming out in record numbers -- more than 720,000 strong -- particularly in the midst of a challenging economy."

--------------------

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080903.TEBBUTT03/TPStory/TPSports/Television/
U.S. Open should give it a rest
Scheduling semi-finals and finals without day off in between exposes sport's top players to risk, fans to diminished performances

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/09/AR2008090901841.html
US Open Schedule Is a Double Fault
The biggest surprise of the just-ended U.S. Open was not that Roger Federer won his 13th major title or that Serena Williams won her ninth. It was that the men's final didn't start at 11:30 at night.

nobama
09-10-2008, 03:18 AM
I'm guessing those headlines at the bottom of your post were not part of the USTA's press release. :p

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Bump for the newbies.

Tennis is nearly always better live, especially in the first days of a Slam where you can see matches on the outside courts that don't have cameras.

Positive and negative experiences of any tournament is worth reading and why they were that way.

.-Federers_Mate-.
12-10-2009, 05:58 AM
if anyone wants i can do some reports with proper english and grammar.. on the heineken open as i will be there all week..i can also put in lots of pics:D

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 06:01 AM
if anyone wants i can do some reports with proper english and grammar.. on the heineken open as i will be there all week..i can also put in lots of pics:D

King Oscar Hernandez and Dani Gimeno-Traver pics would be appreciated. Good event the Auckland one.

mandeep
12-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Bump for the newbies.

Tennis is nearly always better live, especially in the first days of a Slam where you can see matches on the outside courts that don't have cameras.

Positive and negative experiences of any tournament is worth reading and why they were that way.

I am planning on going to the US Open next year, Are there any threads with comments from people who have attended the tournament in the past?

.-Federers_Mate-.
12-10-2009, 06:42 AM
King Oscar Hernandez and Dani Gimeno-Traver pics would be appreciated. Good event the Auckland one.

Don't they have to qualify :confused: didnt know hernandez was coming...hopefully they put him on centre court instead of boredo and ferrer:D

Action Jackson
12-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Don't they have to qualify :confused: didnt know hernandez was coming...hopefully they put him on centre court instead of boredo and ferrer:D

They will be there. King played your mate this year G.D Jones in qualies. It's all a bit of match practice and perhaps a few parties.

Springer89
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
BARCLAYS ATP WORLD TOUR FINALS

Barclays ATP World Tour Finals Sets Visitation Records Onsite & Online
London, England
by ATP Staff

THE O2 - LONDON, ENGLAND, 9 December 2009 – The ATP today announced that the week of the 2009 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals (22 – 29 November) saw record attendance and shattered previous-year visitation to ATPWorldTour.com, BarclaysATPWorldTourFinals.com, and ATP Official Live Scoring.

Following a record Opening Day crowd of nearly 35,000 (afternoon and evening sessions combined), the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals concluded the week-long season finale event with attendance reaching 256,830 – making it the highest attended indoor tennis tournament ever.

The audience also swarmed online to watch live streaming, video on demand and live scores with 8 million total weekly visits to ATP official web sites, 75 percent above previous-year record figures, consuming more than 175,000 hours of video content with average visit duration exceeding an hour.

ONSITE
• The tournament set the all-time indoor tennis attendance record of 256,830
• The tournament began with a record opening day attendance of 34,937
• 11 of 15 sessions sold out – the first time the season-ending event has ever had multiple daily crowds of equal to 35,000 in a given year.

• ATPWorldTour.com, BarclaysATPWorldTourFinals.com, and ATP Official Live Scoring online had a record 8 million total visits, a 75 percent increase from last year’s record numbers, and 3.5 million unique users during the week, an 85 percent increase from 2008.
• Video-on-demand streaming recorded more than 1 million total streams and 25,000 total hours of consumption, an increase from last year of 365 percent and 170 percent respectively.
• Live streaming on TennisTV.com grew 425 percent from last year to 360,000 total streams with total play time of approximately 150,000 hours.
• Visits to ATP Official Live Scoring grew 50 percent from last year to more than 1.6 million with average visit duration exceeding an hour (65 minutes).

ON TV
• Globally, the tournament was televised by more than 50 Broadcasters in 180 countries.
• In the UK, more than 60 hours of coverage was featured live on Sky Sports and 13 hours on terrestrial television on BBC.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/12/Finals-Visitation-Records-Onsite-And-Online.aspx

.-Federers_Mate-.
12-11-2009, 12:09 AM
They will be there. King played your mate this year G.D Jones in qualies. It's all a bit of match practice and perhaps a few parties.

i think they are only letting one kiwi into the Heineken open this year..as they will all fight it out to get a WC. G.D won't make it in..Dan-King Turner or Rubin Statham will. (http://www.tennis.org.nz/ResultsHistoryList.asp?pID=6061&gtID=2&CP=GradingList)