Tennis camps in the World [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis camps in the World

Metafizicar
03-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone!

I am writing an article about top tennis schools in the world, how much certain countries invest in young talent, what is the infrastructure and similar things.

As this is the greatest tennis forum in the world, which has many members from all over the world, I would like to ask you if you could help me gather some information or to point me to certain sources where I can find what I'm looking for.

So, anyone from USA, France, Germany, Italy, Argentina, Russia, Australia, Spain.....and other countries, I ask for your help. I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

CmonAussie
03-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Australia doesn`t really have any high profile tennis camps><.

#Biggest name is probably Pat Cash`s tennis academy on the Gold Coast..

#John Newcombe [Aussie] runs a successful tennis academy in Texas [US].

Johnny Groove
03-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Nick Bolettieri (or however you spell it) runs a successful camp in Bradenton FL, but no one really likes him

zicofirol
03-05-2007, 03:49 AM
Nick Bolettieri (or however you spell it) runs a successful camp in Bradenton FL, but no one really likes him

or his academy I forgot where, but I read that for the prices they charge unless you are pretty much chosen by them to be there, dont go there and get ripped off, its not worth it, and yeah bolettieri seems like a complete jackass, his academy seems overrated also...

Richard_from_Cal
03-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Vic Braden is still alive, and although I thought I read or searched him out as having an academy or pro shop or something in Southern Orange County, Calif....his web page lists "tennis colleges" in Kissimmee, Fla. and St. George, Utah.

I remember him from the 70's, on American televison. Always had a great personality/sense of humor.

Metafizicar
03-05-2007, 08:42 AM
I have found that in Spain Sergi Bruguera runs big academy with great facilities and it's pretty successful.

Action Jackson
03-05-2007, 08:46 AM
The biggest one is Spain is the Sergio Casal/Emilio Sanchez academy in Barcelona.

LilyRoseAva
03-05-2007, 08:49 AM
France - Académie Mouratoglou (Baghdatis...) http://www.mtateam.com/

Saumon
03-05-2007, 08:54 AM
there's also Ferrer/Andreev/Safin training base in Valencia (don't remember the name, sorry)
Niki Pilic's academy in Germany http://www.tennis-academy-niki-pilic.de/
the Gorin Academy in California (Gorin is Tursunov's and Kunitsyn's coach) http://www.gorin-tennis.com/home.php
the Mouratoglou Academy (Baggy's) near Paris http://www.mouratoglou.com/

Action Jackson
03-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Argentina has shit organsiation and no main academy. Guillermo Vilas has a club called the "Vilas Club" and I think he helps out with some juniors and some of the main players hit there now and then.

Metafizicar
03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys, these are some great informations. What about Germany? I know about Niki Pilic academy in Munich, is there anything else worth mentioning?

marti_228
03-05-2007, 06:23 PM
In Argentina, in Parque Roca (the new stadium of the DC) Clerc has recently founded an academy.

sammy2
03-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Australia has it's Institute of Sport which covers all sports. Tennis players get financial assistance from the Institute (Hewitt and Rafter both were funded in their junior days through the Institute), as well as the young players today. Tennis Australia is associated with the institute and runs programms in all Australian States. eg - head in NSW is Wally Masur.
The AIS Tennis program promotes excellence in tennis and is designed to complement and support Tennis Australia's national junior development program. Players are encouraged to work to their full potential in both their sporting and academic careers.

The program offers scholarships to Australian junior tennis players who have shown, both through their national results and their attitudes on and off the court, a willingness to strive to achieve their potential.

Here is a little detail re: Australian Institute of Sports Tennis programmes.

In addition to running a residential scholarship program, AIS tennis coaches are involved with Tennis Australia in conducting camps for talented young players. These camps are designed to let young athletes experience the environment of an elite program, and are used to identify potential AIS scholarship athletes. "

http://www.ais.org.au/tennis/training.asp

Link to AIS website re tennis.

Hendu
03-06-2007, 04:35 AM
the most important one in Argentina is "Escuela Nacional de Alto Rendimiento" (National School of high performance). It belongs to the A.A.T. (Asociación Argentina de Tenis).

Gustavo Luza is the director of the school. Many of the most promising kids from all over country usually go to it.
It used to work in the Buenos Aires Lawn tennis Club and in CENARD. But Gabriela Sabatini (usually helps the juniors) and some others donated a complex (called Pilará Tenis Club) located near a city called Pilar in the Buenos Aires Province. It has many courts of different speeds (one of them with 400 seats, and two with a roof), a couple of swimming pools, a gym and rooms for players that come from other parts of the country.

But as GWH said, in many occasions the support of the AAT has been nonexistent.

Last year the budget of the A.A.T. was of US$ 600.000. The 60% of that was for the development of the youngsters.