2007 NRL Rugby League/AFL Competition [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2007 NRL Rugby League/AFL Competition

bad gambler
03-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Initally I thought I would not have the time to run a competiton involving both the codes but I have come up with a competiton which is very straightforward for both the participants and myself to run.

I'll go into it in more detail later today but if you are interested feel free to express interest and commit in this thread so I can also structure the prizes.

Also to let you know, this is a joint competition but I have structured it such that people who are more familiar with one code but not the other will not be disadvantaged in any way.

How it will Work

The competition involves tipping 3 ATS winners over a round of Rugby League and AFL. Some specifics:
*Each round I will post all the lines for both the Rugby League and AFL for the round. I expect to have this up once the lines are released but looking at no later than midnight on Thursday night.
*You MUST send ALL 3 tips to me via PM by 7pm AEST on the Friday This is to ensure people do not get an unfair advantage by exploiting movements in lines during the weekend due to player injuries etc. You will graded on the lines i post, not the end lines set by the books.
*It is up to you to PM me 3 ATS winners for the round of RL/AFL - your selection can be split in anyway you choose e.g. 3 RL tips, 3 AFL tips, 2 RL tips and 1 AFL tip etc.
*Not only must you send me 3 tips, but you have to allocate a "unit" size between 1-3 to reflect your confidence on each tip. You MUST send me 3 tips for each round with the relevant unit stake, if you do not I will autmoitcally grade your tips as a loss for those tips not send in (i.e. if you don't send any tips you will be marked -6 units for the round)

e.g.

Western Bulldogs +24.5 v Sydney Swans (3) (AFL)
Canberra Raiders +10.5 v Sydney Roosters (2) (Rugby League)
West Coast Eagles -50.5 v Carlton (1) (AFL)

So essentially what you are saying above is that your strongest bet is the Bulldogs to cover against the Swans and your least confident (but still more confident than the other lines on offer) is the Eagles to cover against the Blues.

Lets assume the results are as follows:
Bulldogs +24.5 (3) - WIN
Raiders +10.5 (2)- LOSS
West Coast Eagles (1) -50.5 - WIN

After applying the standard price of $1.90 on each unit staked, your net result for the round is: (3) x $1.90 + (1) x $1.90 - (2) = +1.6 units

This will continue until the rest of the regular season for both codes at which point whoever as the greatest number of units is the winner.

*The competition will begin on 30th March which corresponds with the 1st round of the AFL (even though the NRL will have already begun) and end on 3rd September which corresponds with the final rounds of both the NRL and AFL seasons.

Other important things to note:
*Each person must "pass" on a round (i.e. not send in tips for that round). When you pass is entirely up to you, so obviously if you think a particular week is too hard to predict, that would be the time to pass.
*Each person also must allocate a "wildcard" round whereby your units staked is doubled for that particular round. So instead of staking 1,2 & 3 units you will be staking 2,4 and 6 units. Similarly to a pass round, when you decide to use your wildcard is entirely up to you, obviously would be used in a round where you a most confident with your selections.

Commitments

sports freak
dave_nz
bossboss
xcrap
Mr Flamboyant
its.like.that
rod_steel
Jig-Jag
Bolar Bolabi
good_gambler
breadman7

sports freak
03-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Looking forward to it BG!!!

dave nz
03-04-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm in thanks

bossboss
03-04-2007, 04:53 AM
count me in

xcrap
03-04-2007, 09:31 AM
count me in

i 2nd that.

let me in... please :)

Mr Flamboyant
03-04-2007, 09:42 AM
innit!! please ...:)

bad gambler
03-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Rules inserted and commitments updated.

If you have any questions post them in here :wavey:

One question I do have for the AFL followers - does the AFL have a split round similar to prior seasons? I can't seem to find which weeks it covers if applicable as I need to ensure there will be at least 3 games played in each round

its.like.that
03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
ok I commit

:D

bossboss
03-04-2007, 11:49 AM
One question I do have for the AFL followers - does the AFL have a split round similar to prior seasons? I can't seem to find which weeks it covers if applicable as I need to ensure there will be at least 3 games played in each round

Round 12 is a split round
Weekend 15th June 5 games
Weekend 22th June 3 games

bad gambler
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Round 12 is a split round
Weekend 15th June 5 games
Weekend 22th June 3 games

Thanks

I think I will make the w/e 22th June an enforced "bye" round for everyone given it wouldn't be fair for those tipping solely AFL games on that particular weekend

rod_steel
03-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Sounds like fun so count me in

Gamblore
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm in about seven competitions, so lets make it 8

Bolar Bolabi
03-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm in!

good_gambler
03-12-2007, 06:12 AM
I'm in, thanks. :wavey:

breadman7
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
id like to have a go if its ok

bad gambler
03-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Good stuff fellas looks like we will get a decent turn out for this one

rod_steel
03-25-2007, 12:31 PM
BG the comp starts this week right?

bad gambler
03-25-2007, 01:20 PM
BG the comp starts this week right?

correct

The first AFL lines should be released Tueday, as stated in post 1 I'll have everything up by Thursday evening

I also need to amend the rules slightly to factor in the 'bye' week corresponding with the AFL split round

xcrap
03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
in reply to the other comp thread.

where is the souths/sharks line BG?

bad gambler
03-28-2007, 03:05 PM
in reply to the other comp thread.

where is the souths/sharks line BG?

sorry didn't realise it was missing - CB doesn't seem to have it up yet :scratch:

I'll put it up tomorrow when (hopefully) they have it - still got a bit of time

sports freak
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
sorry didn't realise it was missing - CB doesn't seem to have it up yet :scratch:

I'll put it up tomorrow when (hopefully) they have it - still got a bit of time

Similar line to the Sharks/Titans clash but only this time Sharks are favourites!!

dave nz
03-30-2007, 01:06 AM
BG unit size of tips can be of any makeup right ?

What I mean is for example u could have three 2 unit tips.....two one units and a three etc

Or do u have to have one one, one two, and one three each week ?

bad gambler
03-30-2007, 01:25 PM
BG unit size of tips can be of any makeup right ?

What I mean is for example u could have three 2 unit tips.....two one units and a three etc

Or do u have to have one one, one two, and one three each week ?

Dave sorry wasn't online all day so didn't have a chance to see your question

Actually per the rules you only get the three picks, and every week you will have outlayed "6" units comprising of 1 x 1, 1 x 2 & 1 x 3 units. Apologies if this wasn't clear in my first post.

I've just sent you a PM about your picks this week.

bad gambler
03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Also just another request - when you send me your tips could you let me know which code it relates to? Generally it is obvious by reference to the line, however in the case (albeit it small chance) that say "brisbane" (i.e. both AFL and NRL) have exactly the same line it is going to cause a bit of a confusion for me to determine whether you meant the Brissy Lions are the Broncos

bad gambler
04-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Well there are a couple of people who have made selections in the monday night football for tomorrow so will posts the standings after the game :)

bad gambler
04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Apologies I did not even realise there was a Thursday AFL game so didn't post the lines for the weekend :smash:

Some of you have sent me a tip based on the readily available line, I'll be counting it based on the CB line posted of +/-13.5

I'll have the lines up for the rest of the games for the weekend in the next few hours

bad gambler
04-09-2007, 08:41 AM
geez I have made this comp waaay too easy by limiting the picks to only 3

A few of you have an interest in tonight's league game so will update the standings afterwards