korolev was serving at 5-3 in the 3rd :awww:

TheBoiledEgg
03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Zhenya :rolleyes:
choked :o :help:

Yappa
03-03-2007, 09:32 PM
The smarter game won.

Korolev with many winners, but also a lot UEs.

Melzer was mostly standing far behind the base line and defending. Sometimes he also threw in some S+V.

I expect a very similar match in the 2nd SF.

*Viva Chile*
Poor Zhenya :sad: I want him in the finals after all the problems he had in the tourney he deserved to be in the finals, for other side, I wanted an all-russian final (well, Marat has to win first :angel: )

Andre♥
Safin has to do something. His position as the biggest choker in Russia was questioned by Korolev.

Korolev is talented, but not that talented. Look how Del Potro trashed him this week...

Flibbertigibbet
03-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Too bad, he just couldn't ever hold on to his serve properly, he'll need to improve that part of his game. And maybe his volleys, too, and returning slice.

BlakeorHenman
03-03-2007, 09:35 PM
In the post-match interview Melzer said he preferred to play Safin over Hewitt.

He mentioned his record against Hewitt was 0-5, but let's hope he gets Marat and eats his words!!!!!

Yeah, Safin's in a semi.... I'm a little overzealous.

ServeAlready81
03-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Damn, I was hoping after that big brouhaha Korolev would make it through to the final. Oh well, congrats on a great tournament.

*Viva Chile*
03-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Safin has to do something. His position as the biggest choker in Russia was questioned by Korolev.

:confused: :shrug: :rolleyes:

mmm... are we talking about the same player??? 2 slams, 5 TMS, 15 titles in total... biggest choker of Russia is the first time I heard about Safin.

Jadranka
:woohoo:

Sjengster
It's a pity that this temporarily lets the ATP off the hook, but good for Hirsute Jurgen, the entertainment value would be priceless were he to beat either Safin or Hewitt in the final.

Shrinking Violet
03-03-2007, 09:37 PM
As I don't think you should be able to win a tourny after losing a game, I am pretty happy with this. Nothing against Korolev - I just think to win a tournament you should be undefeated. Good tournament for him anyway. :yeah:

smucav
03-03-2007, 09:38 PM
The third set was wild. Both players made some unbelievable low-percentage shots. Melzer's serving was terrible (which he acknowledged in the post-match interview), but he was a backboard returning.

Saumon
03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
they don't call him Little Safin for nothing. :yeah:

:awww: though

2moretogo
03-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Korolev goes for broke, entirely too much.

But he is talented.

Melzer won because he just played smarter. Figured out that he wasn't going to be able to hit Korolev off the court, and started to bring Korolev into net.

bad gambler
Some fine defense from Melzer in that final set, played a clever match in the end for the kid

2moretogo
they don't call him Little Safin for nothing. :yeah:

:awww: though

I thought he was RMK? :confused:

Grinder
03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah Jürgen! Thanks for the cash. :yeah:

Hip-And-Happenin
03-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Zhenya :mad: :bigcry: :sobbing: 5-3 up. :o :( :hug:

Neely
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Very well done, Jürgen!!! :yeah: :woohoo:
I'm glad that he got a good result now, although it seemed to be lucky :D
it would be a dream if he wins the title :angel:

Now Korolev is really out, by knock out format, so at least this should be clear now, I hope ;) But he did well winning his quarterfinal after all the controversy: you're in, you're out, you're in again.

NicoFan
03-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeay for Jurgen! :bounce: Great result... :yeah:

And I was very impressed with Korolev this week - the way he plays, the way he handled the controversy. :yeah: to him!

trixtah
03-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Korolev is talented, but not that talented. Look how Del Potro trashed him this week...
ummm? Both statements are pretty wrong. Secondly, talent and tactics are pretty different things--most of the time

:confused: :shrug: :rolleyes:

mmm... are we talking about the same player??? 2 slams, 5 TMS, 15 titles in total... biggest choker of Russia is the first time I heard about Safin.

yeah...I was like, wtf? Safin a choker? (well maybe that once at the AO)

gulzhan
03-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Damn, I was hoping after that big brouhaha Korolev would make it through to the final. Oh well, congrats on a great tournament.

he couldn't :sad: i mean, he gathered himself for the quater which wasn't THAT easy i am sure but after a day all the stress he had should have hit him at some point..... in any case, it's a great result for korolev! it's a pity he blew a big chance to get into his first final but i agree with the most here, he got the experience he needed.. well done, zhenya :yeah: and good luck in the masters!

OddJob
03-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Zhenya.....:sad:

Fergie
03-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Why Zhenya? :bigcry:

ChinoRios4Ever
03-04-2007, 02:59 AM
what a choke Zhenya :smash: well he's young, i hope he'll learn from this

Merton
03-04-2007, 03:10 AM
RMK could not serve his way to the first ATP final of his career. He needs to develop his game, especially on defense, the important thing is to stay healthy and gain experience.

JMG
03-04-2007, 08:21 AM
yeah...I was like, wtf? Safin a choker? (well maybe that once at the AO)

I think quite a lot of Safin fans call him a choker, because they think he's by far the best player after Federer and if he loses, then only his head can be the reason.

jazar
03-04-2007, 08:26 AM
inexperience and the fact the he cant play against slice

wally1
03-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Too bad, he just couldn't ever hold on to his serve properly, he'll need to improve that part of his game. And maybe his volleys, too, and returning slice.Indeed he does. He's currently got one of the most one-dimensional games I've seen (including the WTA).

Blue Heart24
03-04-2007, 08:59 AM
What a joke Korolev is :o
Was a break up in the third (4-2),lost his serve,he broke Melzer again,served for the match,was broken,Melzer held,then PMK lost his serve again,and Melzer choked when serving for the match,but PMK played a poor TB and le the win go.Korolev's volleys are pure disaster :rolleyes:
He is just like Robin Soderling.Has a talent,but no brain.

-SaFiinsBabY-
03-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Great match Jürgen !! :worship:

L.R
03-04-2007, 01:22 PM
What a joke Korolev is :o
Was a break up in the third (4-2),lost his serve,he broke Melzer again,served for the match,was broken,Melzer held,then PMK lost his serve again,and Melzer choked when serving for the match,but PMK played a poor TB and le the win go.Korolev's volleys are pure disaster :rolleyes:
He is just like Robin Soderling.Has a talent,but no brain.

I think it's easy to judge a player on one match !
Maybe you should get informed a little about what he did before ... or wait to see what he's gonna do later, before stating something like : 'Has a talent,but no brain.' !