Petition for women 5 set matches! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Petition for women 5 set matches!

mark_s
03-02-2007, 09:55 PM
It's sexism that women do not play the best of 5 sets when men do. Women are super athletes just like men. It isn't a strength issue, women really are just as capable for this endurance level.

Women are now getting paid the same as men when men have a harder job, this is sexism.

If women tennis players want equal pay then it's about time they have equal work.

SIGN THE PETITION (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sexism/)

DustMan
03-02-2007, 10:03 PM
i agree with you but i dont really care enough to do anything about it

mark_s
03-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Just sign it... it only takes a moment. Once there are enogh signatures then it will get sent to Larry Scott via post.

goldenlox
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Women are going to have equal pay at the majors.
They need the WTA to match the ATP in prizemoney. Number of sets is irrelevant. The WTA has to expand more to where the money is. And they are starting to do that with their 2010 Roadmap.

Rogiman
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
I won't sign a petition that may force me to wait for another couple of hours during Slams before I can watch a real match between men.

RickDaStick
03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Why in the world would you want to watch more womens tennis. Its painful enough watching a marathon 2 set match waiting for a mens match in the Slams. I couldnt imagine waiting out 5 sets.

mark_s
03-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree with both of you... I wouldn't want more womens tennis but it's just making a point that if they want to get paid the same, they should earn it.

GlennMirnyi
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Why in the world would you want to watch more womens tennis. Its painful enough watching a marathon 2 set match waiting for a mens match in the Slams. I couldnt imagine waiting out 5 sets.

I agree. Another 2-3 sets of DFs and UEs are too much.

Caren
03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
5 set women's match would be too painful/dull/tiresome to watch...and that's coming from a woman.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-02-2007, 10:41 PM
I'd rather kill myself than vote for this shit! 5 set women's matches?? I don't even want 3 set matches, how about just a super tiebreak for 5 mins and then get them off the court so we can watch REAL tennis.

leng jai
03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
5 hours of grunting, shit movement, no slices, no volleying. faulty serving and horrible outfits. Sure I'll sign it.

trixtah
03-02-2007, 11:13 PM
this petition isn't going to get it changed anyway.

TennisLurker
03-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I won't sign a petition that may force me to wait for another couple of hours during Slams before I can watch a real match between men.

BlakeorHenman
03-02-2007, 11:26 PM
i could never sit through five fucking sets of harkleroad vs. shaughnessey.

zicofirol
03-02-2007, 11:35 PM

I agree, I will however sign a petition to take out ad scoring in womens tennis and eliminate the third set for a 10 point tie break...

Snowwy
03-02-2007, 11:47 PM
i could never sit through five fucking sets of harkleroad vs. shaughnessey.

:lol:

Galathea
03-03-2007, 12:01 AM
5 hours of grunting, shit movement, no slices, no volleying. faulty serving and horrible outfits. Sure I'll sign it.

Can you imagine 5 sets watching Dementieva's serve?:bolt:

I always went for 5 sets for women... But the tennis we're having now?! I rather sign for one-set matches to end it quickly.
The other day some channel in my country was airing a match between Sabatini and Graf. :worship: :worship:
How could the women tennis become what we're watching these days?!

kindablue
03-03-2007, 12:57 AM

I like some of the outfits :p Does that make me a perv?

I will not sign anyway!

Maxpowers
03-03-2007, 02:58 AM
I think they should make it 5 sets. That way people will complain about the women's matches to the officials, and they will stop paying equal prize money and realize no one cares about women's tennis.

jazar
03-03-2007, 07:58 AM
if they want equal pay its a good idea, but lets face it a lot of the matches that would happen would be utter shitfests that no one in their right mind would want to watch

Bobby
03-03-2007, 08:19 AM
It's pure sexism, that the women work less for the same money. But as many have said here, I wouldn't like to see women playing five setters. Women might attract a lot of attention, but it's not because they play well. More often than not, their matches are just painful to watch. Unforced errors, stupid play and so on... It's just sad, that nowadays equality between genders means something else than it used to. I mean, male players are the ones who suffer here, but nobody cares.

Ferrero Forever
03-03-2007, 08:29 AM
The only time I have sat through women's matches live was when I wanted to watch Martina Hingis because she's a legend, when there was a heat delay and I had tickets to Vodafone Arena where there was a womens match in play, and when I sat through womens matches so i could get a good seat for Ferrero's match. Other than the Hingis-Clijsters match which I actually enjoyed, if those matches went for 10 mins I would have been happy. And again this is coming from a female.

tennisvideos
03-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Personally I would rather petition for men to play 3 sets.

5 sets is too much of a yawn fest IMO. Even the playing field and make the sport more exciting with 3 sets only. And while your at it, sudden death dueces, 3rd set to finish in a TB and get rid of one serve. Then suddenly tennis would become very exciting.

blosson
03-03-2007, 08:47 AM
In many other professions, women has to work more than men to get promoted and earn equal salaries. It was about time a profession gives women more money for less work. Why not? ;)

nisha
03-03-2007, 09:01 AM
5 sets just would not be interesting enough!

Action Jackson
03-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Why do tennis fans deserve to be punsihed anymore.

Kolya
03-03-2007, 09:37 AM
I like the idea but I don't want to watch it... LOL.

Blue Heart24
03-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd rather kill myself than vote for this shit! 5 set women's matches?? I don't even want 3 set matches, how about just a super tiebreak for 5 mins and then get them off the court so we can watch REAL tennis.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

wally1
03-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Personally I would rather petition for men to play 3 sets.

5 sets is too much of a yawn fest IMO. Even the playing field and make the sport more exciting with 3 sets only. And while your at it, sudden death dueces, 3rd set to finish in a TB and get rid of one serve. Then suddenly tennis would become very exciting.No, tennis would become crap.

madmanfool
03-03-2007, 10:26 AM
i don't want to see long boring women matches

Black Adam
03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Only in Slam Finals where there is a chance of some decent Tennis. Otherwise there is noway we should allow them to display 200+ UEs per match during the whole tournament.

mark_s
03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Quote from scotsman75 in this thread (http://www.murraysworld.com/talk/petition-against-sexism-in-tennis-now-t5982.0.html;msg213548#msg213548).

"They did a bit on this last night on Soccer AM All Sports Show. They worked out how many hours Mauresmo and Federer were on court during Wimbledon last year. They then divided the prize money, 655,000pounds between the hours, and Mauresmo was getting 16,000pounds per hour more than Federer.

They also got in touch with the legal people who would deal with this. But they refused to comment as someone might complain in the future and they didnt want to jepardise their position on this. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I'll sign."

nobama
03-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Quote from scotsman75 in this thread (http://www.murraysworld.com/talk/petition-against-sexism-in-tennis-now-t5982.0.html;msg213548#msg213548).

"They did a bit on this last night on Soccer AM All Sports Show. They worked out how many hours Mauresmo and Federer were on court during Wimbledon last year. They then divided the prize money, 655,000pounds between the hours, and Mauresmo was getting 16,000pounds per hour more than Federer.

They also got in touch with the legal people who would deal with this. But they refused to comment as someone might complain in the future and they didnt want to jepardise their position on this. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I'll sign."
Yeah because tennis players are paid by the hour. :rolleyes: Why do poeple always bring up the non-issue of how much time they spend on court? Tennis players are not paid by the hour or how many sets/games they win. It's not hard to understand. I've done the numbers on both tours and the men's prize money is almost double that of the women's. But Wimbledon's prize money for Mauresmo wasn't half of Federer's. It was $53,000 less. It was an arbitrary figure that meant nothing. It was just symbolic.

Neely
03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Some arguments brought up here (maybe not the double faulting), could be said by people who love WTA and dislike ATP, too. And new ones could be invented of course ;)

The very few five set women's matches I saw in the past were way too good to call them crappy or boring or whatever negative word, considering they only played one match of the season best-of-five. But it showed that the top athletes were ready for it despite not having (much) experience with them (at all). So with the right players I think it would be fun for me :)

zethand
03-03-2007, 03:07 PM
I think the meaning of this thread is to put women and men.. equal! If they are paying them the same money they must play the same... but I dont think it is the solution. I vote for men playing 3 sets. :)

Polikarpov
03-03-2007, 03:20 PM
They only get equal prize money during Slam. But other than that, men are still paid more.

Hip-And-Happenin
03-03-2007, 03:38 PM
God no. Womens tennis has enough injuries and boring matches as it is. Why drag it out even longer?

BgStallion
03-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Sexism , feminism , who cares...
Let's just leave things the way they are. So what if men are paid the same money for more work. Personally if I were a top pro I wouldn't complain :) I'm not a sexist ,but I don't think that women have the same endurance as men,
And besides let's be gentlemen :angel:

Jogy
03-03-2007, 05:39 PM
They can give the woman 5 millions for the winner each tournament, I do not care because it is not my money and I would not get this money anyway, not my money to care about

But please do not make the women play best of five set matches! I could not stand!

mtw
03-03-2007, 05:45 PM
It's sexism that women do not play the best of 5 sets when men do. Women are super athletes just like men. It isn't a strength issue, women really are just as capable for this endurance level.

Women are now getting paid the same as men when men have a harder job, this is sexism.

If women tennis players want equal pay then it's about time they have equal work.

Are you crazy? Woman and 5 sets match? It would be injustice. Women are not prepared by the nature to such extreme effort.

goldenlox
03-03-2007, 06:11 PM
They only get equal prize money during Slam. But other than that, men are still paid more.

That gap is going to close with the WTA's 2010 Roadmap.

Burrow
03-03-2007, 07:16 PM
lmfao at the sexism but i agree with you all, its rare to see a good quality womens match.

tangerine_dream
03-03-2007, 07:30 PM
I would be intrigued to see what a women's five-set match would look like. :lol: :unsure: :help: :bolt: Maybe they could experiment with a format like some of the AMS where you play best of three in the early rounds but best of five in the final.

Allstar
03-03-2007, 07:39 PM

Stupid petition. Men should get paid more but not because they play 5 sets and not 3. Even if Women played 5 sets they still wouldnt deserve equal pay because that is not what the case is based on

goldenlox
03-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Tennis is star driven. Stars draw fans and sponsors to the sport.
The WTA has a 19 year old #1 who is a superstar. So the WTA tour is in very good shape now.

MisterQ
03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I would be intrigued to see what a women's five-set match would look like. :lol: :unsure: :help: :bolt: Maybe they could experiment with a format like some of the AMS where you play best of three in the early rounds but best of five in the final.

Find some footage of Seles def. Sabatini, 6-4, 5-7, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, at the 1990 WTA Championships. That was quite an entertaining match. Of course, that's an intriguing match-up of styles, and one cannot always guarantee such entertainment value... ;) They went with the five set format in the WTA Championship final for quite a few years. The other five-set matches were 1995 Graf def. Huber, 6-1, 2-6, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3; and 1996 Graf def. Hingis, 6-3, 4-6, 6-0, 4-6, 6-0.

All_Slam_Andre
03-03-2007, 08:47 PM
A friend of mine wanted to start a petition saying that the winners of the boys and over 45s tournaments at Wimbledon should get the same pay as the women's champion, to prevent age discrimination. I don't agree but pretty funny I have to admit :lol:

Howard
03-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Since women’s tennis is even more one-dimensional than men’s, I can’t see where the entertainment value of the game would be enhanced by their going to the 3 out of 5 set format. Unless you get off on sweaty, athletic chicks shrieking and grunting like sows in heat.

the cat
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Tennis is star driven. Stars draw fans and sponsors to the sport.
The WTA has a 19 year old #1 who is a superstar. So the WTA tour is in very good shape now.
True.

I think the women and men should be paid equally on a per set basis at the grand slams. That way the women are paid equally to the men per set played but the men make more money because they play more sets. It makes sense to me. And it's fair.

jazar
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
the women play 2 out of 3, the men 3 out of 5, therefore the women should get, at the most, 3/5 of what the men get.

Warrior
03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't see it happening, even if the tour will go through with this idea. Once the injuries will begin to pile up on women's tour the 5-setters will quickly be dropped. However, it might be reasonable to make women play best of five finals.

almouchie
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
that wouldnt happen
probably more because of marketing wise
than any parity talk

women is attractive for several obvious reason
the fact that the matches are relatively short, is a main component

Jlee
03-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Only in Slam Finals where there is a chance of some decent Tennis. Otherwise there is noway we should allow them to display 200+ UEs per match during the whole tournament.

I like the idea of doing it in later rounds, maybe. But the early rounds are sometimes painful to watch anyway, and I actually do like women's tennis if there is an interesting match up of styes or top players.

federerfan7465
03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
worst. idea. ever.

mark_s
03-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Quote from ljsmall here (http://www.murraysworld.com/talk/petition-against-sexism-in-tennis-now-t5982.0.html;msg213951#msg213951).

Time spent on Court: Federer -

F- 170m
SF- 77m
QF- 105m
R16- 83m
R32- 124m
R64- 85m
R128- 72m
Total time on court: 11.93hrs

Time spent on Court: Mauresmo -

F- 122m
SF- 133m
QF- 83m
R16- 68m
R32- 59m
R64- 59m
R128- 39m
Total time on court: 9.383hrs

Based on last years prize money-

Federer- Hourly rate: £54,903.60
Mauresmo- Hourly Rate: £66,609.82

Based on equal pay-

Federer- £54,903.60
Mauresmo- £69,807.09

So basically, even based on last years pay Mauresmo still made more per hour that Federer but if she was to have been paid the same she would have recieved £14,903 more per hour of tennis played. This is despite that fact that Federer had one of the most successful mens competitions ever having only dropped a single set all tournament (in the final) and spending an average 1hr 40m on court for each match, ridiculously short in a slam, and Mauresmo having a few tough encounters including mammoth SF and F matches against Sharapova and Henin-Hardenne. Would be interesting to do this for a year in which the mens champion had huge 5 set semis and finals to get through. Ivanisevic's year would be classic. Figures difficult to get hold of but he played:

R2- 4 sets with a tiebreak 1st set
R3- 4 sets with a tiebreak 1st set
R4- 3 sets with a tiebreak 1st set (Rusedski)
QF- 4 sets with a tiebreaf 1st and 4th set
SF- 5 sets 7-5 1st tiebreak 2nd and 4th sets
F- 5 sets 9-7 in the 5th

That year Venus Williams won and played:

R2- 2 sets 6-3, 6-2
R3- 2 sets 6-2, 6-2
R4- 2 sets 6-2, 6-0
QF- 2 sets 7-5, 6-1
SF- 3 sets 6-2, 6-7 (1-7), 6-1
F- 3 sets 6-0, 3-6, 6-1

I wish I could find the length of the matches cause the time on court difference would be extraordinary!