Does the ATP allow women to play on its tour as the PGA does? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does the ATP allow women to play on its tour as the PGA does?

Grüezi
03-02-2007, 02:20 AM
Does the ATP allow women to play on its tour as the PGA does? Or is there some clause in the ATP rulebook that states only those of male gender may participate in ATP events? Granted, there is likely no current female player who could compete at the level of the male players, but hypothetically is it "legal?" Thanks...

Action Jackson
03-02-2007, 02:23 AM
Why would they try. The only way it would happen is if a tournament gave a female a Wildcard and it would be a big joke, almost as much as Round Robin.

tall_one
03-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Does the ATP allow women to play on its tour as the PGA does? Or is there some clause in the ATP rulebook that states only those of male gender may participate in ATP events? Granted, there is likely no current female player who could compete at the level of the male players, but hypothetically is it "legal?" Thanks...

not that i could find but i'm not reading all 248 pages of this to find out either :lol:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/ATP_Rulebook2007.pdf

LocoPorElTenis
03-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Unlike golf or chess, physical strength and stamina are essential in tennis, so it's nearly impossible to have women who can compete with the top men. So it's a rather moot point.

Merton
03-02-2007, 03:25 AM
An excellent place to start would be to give a high profile player like Sharapova or a Williams sister a WC for a clay tournament at the challengers level.

Action Jackson
03-02-2007, 03:27 AM
I'd love Sharapova trying to play Oscar Hernandez on clay, she wouldn't be used to seeing those kick serves go over her head.

atheneglaukopis
03-02-2007, 03:36 AM
This is what someone posted for the ITF: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=89377

Merton
03-02-2007, 03:55 AM
I'd love Sharapova trying to play Oscar Hernandez on clay, she wouldn't be used to seeing those kick serves go over her head.

Vasilis Mazarakis wouls lose at most 4 games on clay :lol: I am too lazy to look and I am not even sure that the thread survived but I am 99% certain that somebody claimed Serena Williams could take a set from Sampras on grass to which I replied that Sharapova would overpower Borg on clay :haha:

ChinoRios4Ever
03-02-2007, 03:58 AM

:haha: LOL

zicofirol
03-02-2007, 04:03 AM

lmao, that would be fun to watch...

If there is a rule who cares, its a private organization and they can exclude women from participating in their events if they want to...

On a more serious note what women has a better chance of getting a game or to off a guy? I would say Mauresmo...

ChinoRios4Ever
03-02-2007, 04:29 AM
i'd enjoy dementieva playing a man... like josh olivas :p

Saumon
03-02-2007, 06:44 AM
No one mentioned Lalo? :sobbing:

atheneglaukopis
03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
No one mentioned Lalo? :sobbing:No, but I did think of him. :)

Tzar
03-02-2007, 12:30 PM
No, You didnt

brent-o
03-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Why don't they have more mixed gender singles exhibitions at least? They could be fun.