Scrap Round Robin [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Scrap Round Robin

The Freak
03-01-2007, 11:07 PM
The ATP went to the round robin system for the fans, everyone on this board is a tennis fan and nobody seems to like the idea. I hope RR is gone next year, it is too confusing and mostly disliked by the players' as well. What are your guys' thoughts?

krakenzero
03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
This is the best thing that could have happened. The "2nd chance for top players"'s idea causing the elimination of someone like Blake, who is also the vicepresident of the ATP players. De Villiers loses, Blake loses, RR is saying goodbye...

Shrinking Violet
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
A high profile American losing at an American event is the best way to end this. I feel bad for James (although it's kinda funny that he backed the idea and then got screwed by it :lol:) but it's a necessary evil that a high profile player had to miss out. Rightly or wrongly - guys like JCF or Malisse or take your pick of the French guys complaining will not get taken as seriously as a guy like Blake getting screwed over with the system.

gogogirl
03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey All,

I made it home from work at 4-1 - James leading - and them the balloon got popped.

Yes, James more or less said it was for the fans - but I also think - he said it was up to the fans to see if they liked it. Even at the Masters Cup - I was getting over the idea.

I think the sad part is that the player retired. But really there was no way they could have fixed that because some could have argued that James' opponent could have won the second set if he wasn't feeling poorly and/or he could have lost it 7-5. But stinks it does.

I think in totality - all of the players' input should be considered as it pertains to the future of RR. James will just have to get over it. He is 13-4 now - so not so bad for the beginning of the season.