Wild cards should be on merit [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wild cards should be on merit

safinaferrero
03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I think Younés is right when u are on fire and under the spots lights everybody claim how great u are etc... When u need help the most u are alone :sad:

Wild cards should be on merit'

By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter

Dubai: The Arab world's highest ranked player has called for a review of the allocation of wild cards at the annual Dubai Tennis Championships.

"When I was at the top, they (tournament organisers) treated me so well. And now when I needed it most, they did not even offer me a wild card into the main draw," Morocco's Younes Al Aynaoui said after losing in three sets to third seed and world number four Nikolay Davydenko on Tuesday.

Al Aynaoui, who started his career quite late at 22, had to go through the qualifiers last year too. "I've had my ups and downs and it is tough to see someone who is surely going to lose in the first round get a wild card," Al Aynaoui said.

"I think the competition committee needs to issue the wild card entirely on merit," he shrugged.

Dubai Duty Free, owners and organisers of the annual two-week event, gave wild card entries to Amelie Mauresmo (No 3) , Selima Sfar (No 174) and Monica Niculescu of Romania (No 205) in the women's event, while local lad Omar Behroozian, Kuwait's Mohammad Al Gareeb and Radek Stepanek received entries for the men's competition.

"It is the prerogative of the tournament organisers to allocate the wild card. But they have to give it to players who they think have the best chances of winning," Al Aynaoui stated.

Being overlooked by tournament organisers is nothing new to the gangly 35-year-old Moroccan. He was denied a wild card entry for his very own tournament in Casablanca - the Grand Prix Hassan II held at the end of April - last year reportedly on the grounds that he was too old. The Moroccan national team also left him out for the Davis Cup.

"Suddenly I am no longer wanted by the organisers. Imagine not giving a wild card to a player who once has played in the final here. I asked the organisers at the Australian Open for a wild card in the qualifiers and I did not get one. There are a few countries, and Dubai is one of these, that I get some sort of support," Al Aynaoui stated.

"It is tough you see. You had this upcoming Indian boy [Al Aynaoui's doubles partner Rohan Bopanna] who is talented and even he did not get a wild card," Al Aynaoui pointed out.

Source (http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Tennis/10107838.html)

http://tenishispanico.blogspot.com/

R.Federer
03-01-2007, 07:33 PM
In some cases, I would agree with Younes. Other times, if a national organization like LTA or USTA cannot have clout at the tournaments in its own countries, then some guy with reasonable potential might get stuck playing in challengers for no reason except resources (lack of money and support).

Tournament organizers also want to cater to their own spectators. You get a lot of people turning out for Al Ghareeb, it is a nice thing to do for their audience.

Hendu
03-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I didn't know Casablanca denied a wc to El Aynaoui.

Thats a shame.

zicofirol
03-01-2007, 07:43 PM
he should of received a WC instead of stepanek but juniors and young players also need to get their chances, depends on the situation for the tournament and who the player is...

Shrinking Violet
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
I hate the way wildcards are allocated. It annoys me to see certain guys who are rubbish get wildcards simply because they had the good fortune to be born in a country that hosts Slams and high level ATP tournaments.

Britain has dished out WCs hand over fist to guys who show up, collect their first round loser cheque and then disappear for the rest of the year. You saw it with the USTA recently with Donald Young and his numerous WC's and his one set to show for it. I think there should be a better way of dishing out the wildcards. I'm not saying that the home associations shouldn't be entitled to give out wild cards, but I think they should be obligated to give out a percentage to other players.

safinaferrero
03-01-2007, 10:44 PM
You are right i think they way wildcards are allocated is very unfair as it's not based in objectives facts :(

Scotso
03-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Direct entries (rankings) are based on merit... WCs are not supposed to be, nor do I think they should be. People want to cheer for a hometown favorite.

safinaferrero
03-02-2007, 05:12 PM
So why didn't they give a WC to Younès in Casablanca ? :/

goldenlox
03-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Pro tennis is a business. WC's are a part of the business.

sondraj06
03-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Yeah I have to agree, I think it's kind of nice that wc are given to the tourney's hometown players, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Action Jackson
03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Younes's ranking was good enough for the AO qualies and not needed a wildcard.

He has been the leading player for Morocco, so he should get a WC to Casachallenger at least.

safinaferrero
03-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Casablanca is not a challenger saying it is that's a lack of respect for the players that use to play there and also for the organisators that do their best to make it the most attractive, that's right Tennis is buisness i must be naive but i'm trying to think that there are valors beyond all this money...