How long will it take Mr Disney to give up on the RR format? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How long will it take Mr Disney to give up on the RR format?

buzzy
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Last week had the Ferrero/Devilder/Lapentti fiasco in Buenos Aires. This week has crazy scenarios like the following that set itself up yesterday in Las Vegas...

"Gustavo Kuerten lost to Benjamin Becker today, and Becker earlier lost to Jan Hernych, so Kuerten is through if he can beat Hernych tomorrow by beating him in straight sets while losing less than six games. Unless one of the sets is 7-5 or 7-6, in which case he can lose seven games. If he beats him in straight sets but loses more than seven games (or more than eight games if one set goes 7-5 or 7-6), then Becker is through. And if Hernych can win one set against Kuerten, he’s through whether he wins or loses the match. If Kuerten beats Hernych in straight sets losing exactly seven games (e.g. 6-3, 6-4), then everyone is tied in terms of sets won/lost and games won/lost, and Becker is through because he’s the higher ranked player."
from http://tennisworld.typepad.com/travelblogue/2007/03/on_the_merrygor.html

Does anyone at all, player or fan, want to waste time trying to figure that stuff out for every match of a tournament? What was wrong with the old fashioned way of advancing when you win and going home when you lose? The directors at Queens have seen the light and already backed out of the earlier decision to play RR format.

How long will it be till deVilliers finally gives up his absurd Round Robin idea?

t0x
03-01-2007, 04:56 PM
It's crap...

Tanks can happen

And worst of all, it's confusing as hell! I fail to see how this is drawing new fans into the game... Too many scenarios and what the hell is the main draw elimination crap?

With Stockholm and Queens dropping out, hopefully more tournies will follow and eventually De Villiers will give up on it!

vincayou
03-01-2007, 05:00 PM
It's good to try new things and I was ready to see what RR could give, but I doubt this one has a future. It's confusing, I don't see how it can bring new fans to this sport.

Scotso
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
When Fed or Rafa tell him to stop playing around with the tournaments and get on his knees.

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Not soon enough.

Caren
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I doubt it'll be dropped before the end of the year, if the original plan was to see how it goes for a year then i'm sure it will be seen out. I really dislike it and fail to see the logical reasoning behind it but i doubt it'll take a bow out anytime soon.

Sunset of Age
03-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I voted 'Next Fiasco' - hopefully Mr. Disney isn't as bone-headed to let this atrocity go on any longer.

It apparently looks like the players need to get a Master's degree in maths before figuring out the RR-system. The viewers no less.

What a mess it is...

buzzy
03-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I voted 'Next Fiasco' - hopefully Mr. Disney isn't as bone-headed to let this atrocity go on any longer.
It apparently looks like the players need to get a Master's degree in maths before figuring out the RR-system. The viewers no less.

What a mess it is...

Definitely a mess. I know that he had high hopes that this would work. But I would think he's smart enough to see the results after the few attempts so far have been less than stellar. As a matter of fact, I don't believe a single player who has been in one of these events has come out and said how much he liked it. Players' comments started with the noncommittal "we'll see how it goes" when the format was proposed and have progressed to the outright disgust "este sistema es una puta mierda" from Ferrero and "I don't like RR, its a disaster. The tennis is: if you win, you go on, if you lose, you leave" from Canas after one experience of each. (quotes from the thread Some players reactions about the RR format) So at this rate, it won't take long to alienate a big chunk of the top players.

dylan24
03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
so if hernych wins first set, then both hernych and kuerten won't give a fuck about the rest of the match.

this disney bastard needs to be beaten to a bloody pulp w/ a wooden tennis racquet.

Edith09
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I really don´t like RR. Call me old fashioned, but if player looses match than he should be out of tournament. End of story.

Galathea
03-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Honestly, I think after a huge fiasco. I don't think, for him what happened in Bs As is a fiasco. Probably will change his mind after a huuuuuge problem...
And I can't wait to see that tournament :devil: Come on! Don't tell me Bs As wasn't funny to see.... people searching and calling to know who was the winner of a group according to the RR format? For one moment, I thought Vilas was going to be the champion ;)

ChinoRios4Ever
03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
at the end of the year :o

buzzy
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
"Gustavo Kuerten lost to Benjamin Becker today, and Becker earlier lost to Jan Hernych, so Kuerten is through if he can beat Hernych tomorrow by beating him in straight sets while losing less than six games. Unless one of the sets is 7-5 or 7-6, in which case he can lose seven games. If he beats him in straight sets but loses more than seven games (or more than eight games if one set goes 7-5 or 7-6), then Becker is through. And if Hernych can win one set against Kuerten, he’s through whether he wins or loses the match. If Kuerten beats Hernych in straight sets losing exactly seven games (e.g. 6-3, 6-4), then everyone is tied in terms of sets won/lost and games won/lost, and Becker is through because he’s the higher ranked player."
from http://tennisworld.typepad.com/travelblogue/2007/03/on_the_merrygor.html

Well, Hernych won the first set. So do you think either of them are giving their all for this next set? If you are Hernych, you can take it easy to rest for the next round. If you are Kuerten, you are already out so why bother.
Great system! :rolleyes:

jazar
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
he knows it is crap but he wont just dump it in the middle of the season. he will wait to the end of the season then announce that although they considered it had some success they dont think it is right for the game. which is what us fans have known since it was announced

buzzy
03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Honestly, I think after a huge fiasco. I don't think, for him what happened in Bs As is a fiasco. Probably will change his mind after a huuuuuge problem...
And I can't wait to see that tournament :devil: Come on! Don't tell me Bs As wasn't funny to see.... people searching and calling to know who was the winner of a group according to the RR format? For one moment, I thought Vilas was going to be the champion ;)

I wonder if the Blake/DelPotro incident will qualify as a fiasco to him. :lol: Another example of major problems with his idea.

I really can't imagine him sticking out the year. These incidents are just going to keep happening and players are going to stop entering these RR tournaments. He should just cut his losses and say enough is enough. RR was a mistake. Let's get them all back to normal elimination format. NOW!!!

scoobs
03-01-2007, 11:17 PM
They should scrap it after this tournament - this nonsense has gone on long enough. 2 consecutive weeks now tournaments have been turned into circuses.

Enough, already. We tried it, it's shit.

Sofyaxo
03-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Next year it will be gone. I've said that from the start. I'm just glad all this crap is happening so it really does go away.

I don't think he'll admit it was a bad idea and just get rid of it mid-year. That's really just one of those I'm to proud to say I was wrong things.

Plus most(not all) top players aren't in the RR tournaments anyway so even if some guys get pissed off this year it won't matter to him. And I doubt he'll be so forceful about guys that were screwed over withdrawing from them the rest of the year.

uglyamerican
03-01-2007, 11:41 PM
:worship: to those who recognized what a debacle this would become when it was announced. I thought it would just be a goofy annoyance.

Labamba
03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm hoping Las Vegas is the last time we'll see the RR format in a normal ATP tournament.

Estoril is the next scheduled RR tourney, they still have time to cancel their commitment to it.

Action Jackson
03-02-2007, 01:25 AM
:worship: to those who recognized what a debacle this would become when it was announced. I thought it would just be a goofy annoyance.

There are some things you don't want to be correct about, though this case isn't one of them.

Merton
03-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Who cares, the important thing is for the format to die in such a humiliating way that it will be impossible to insurrect in the future.

ExcaliburII
03-02-2007, 02:06 AM
I love RR.

jcempire
03-02-2007, 02:20 AM
What the hell is that RR?

buzzy
03-02-2007, 03:15 AM
What the hell is that RR?

RR = Ridiculous Rules

lau
03-02-2007, 03:16 AM
RR = Ridiculous Rules

:haha:

Action Jackson
03-02-2007, 03:16 AM
I can't call it farcical, cause that would be too kind.

FaceyFacem
03-02-2007, 03:56 AM
he's too much of a stickler to not see it out till the end of the year, but i don't expect it to be back, it's just not a good idea, esp. with groups of 3, at least the groups of 4 at the YEC work much better

OddJob
03-02-2007, 04:28 AM
At the end of the year HOPEFULLY it'll all stop. If the ATP stopped it in the middle of the season it would show what a real failure it is. If they stop at the end of the year at least they can save some face.

buzzy
03-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Who cares, the important thing is for the format to die in such a humiliating way that it will be impossible to insurrect in the future.

I'd venture to say that it can't get much more humiliating than today's retroactive "changing of the rules" in Las Vegas. If they can convince any other tournaments to try this after today's mess, it'll be a miracle.

Via
03-03-2007, 12:42 AM
I'd venture to say that it can't get much more humiliating than today's retroactive "changing of the rules" in Las Vegas. If they can convince any other tournaments to try this after today's mess, it'll be a miracle.

yes after vegas, mr disney is indeed trapped between a rock and a hard place :lol: he won't want to cut it before his original plan, but i don't think he wants to risk more twisted and outrageous scenarios, that get reported around the world and give tennis (and him) a bad name.

how to back out of RR while saving face will be the main item on the agenda at the miami meeting :aplot: