Should Sampras retire? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should Sampras retire?

Caio
07-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Ok everyone let's take this question easy and be a little sensible.
Who else agrees that Sampras should retire?

Some pointers:
* We never know what to expect from him in tournaments, he can either lose in first round or win 3, 4 matches, though he is losing very frequently
* His stamina isn't a quarter of his normal
* Grass is no longer his backyard
* Bridgette Wilson :D

Pete, you've been marvelous for tennis history and I think every tennis fan has been very thankful for all the success you've brough to tennis. You're ready to retire man, enjoy life now :)

lucyfer
07-17-2002, 04:41 PM
i think he should retire...

Nimi
07-17-2002, 04:53 PM
contracts... he must keep on playing... :o

Vanity
07-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Well, he's now at the point where he's having trouble winning matches. I think once you get there, you either stay in because you love the sport or give it up. Right now he is probably just playing because he still loves the game, but I bet it's not a good feeling for a multigrand slam winner to be going out in the first round to mediocre opposition.

Caio
07-17-2002, 05:00 PM
Exactly Van :)
Nice to see ya here :D

Zamboni
07-17-2002, 05:05 PM
Agreed with Vanity :)

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 05:07 PM
:wavey: Yes I think he should retire. I think he is playing on past memories.

Vanity
07-17-2002, 05:12 PM
Hey people! :wavey:

Even though I never followed men's tennis much before, I am starting to like it now. :) I think I may post here more often than wtaworld, because it looks like the trolls who ruin certain threads over there aren't going to post here ( I hope). The atmosphere looks encouraging so far. :)

tennischick
07-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Samprass is too proud to retire in the middle of such a losing streak. he's also too delusional -- he honestly believes that he still has fantastic GS winning potential. he will not retire. in fact the more people talk about it, the more it seems to get his back up. he ain't going nowhere!

TheBoiledEgg
07-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Pete hasn't got the stamina left (blame Bridgette ;) )in him to win another SLAM, and he has also not been doing well in best of 3 set matches either.

no titles now for 2 whole years
Now his points will start to drop off pretty quick

After US Open he could be as low as 60

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 05:18 PM
:wavey: Vanity! I don't believe we've ever spoken :)

Vanity
07-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey Lleyton's_Chick/Cilla, I've seen your posts on WTAworld. :wavey:

Beware of the fat-dar is right! :eek:

Nimi
07-17-2002, 05:21 PM
you are forgeting my point, he still has contracts, he cant just retire like that without fullifiling his contracts. I also remember there was someone like him in the WTA, i just fail to forget who :confused:

Vanity
07-17-2002, 05:22 PM
He's not on contract with Nike anymore, is he?

I always thought it was a player's own choice to retire or not.... perhaps they shouldn't extend these contracts if they are getting into their older years...

Nimi
07-17-2002, 05:23 PM
actually i belive he crawled back to them

Daniel
07-17-2002, 05:24 PM
I think he should retire

Gandalf
07-17-2002, 05:28 PM
I think if he wanted he could dump his contracts; after all, Sandrine Testud retired all of a sudden and she didn't have any problem.

I think Sampras keeps on playing because he doen't want to retire this way, he wants at least one more good showing at the Slams; maybe if he even made the finals of the US'Open again he would call it a career.

By the way, hi everyone from wtaworld!!

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Vanity
Hey Lleyton's_Chick/Cilla, I've seen your posts on WTAworld. :wavey:

Beware of the fat-dar is right! :eek:

Lol Vanity! Yeah Nimi after all that crap about having the freedom to do waht he wanted and wear what he wanted I guess the lure of money was too much for Pete :rolleyes:

Nimi
07-17-2002, 05:38 PM
i remember hes "Now im free" statement :rolleyes:

Goonergal
07-17-2002, 05:44 PM
I remember that as well.....Oh Pete..:rolleyes: :o

anabel
07-17-2002, 05:46 PM
i dont think Pete should retire, he must continue being defeated by other players who then can say they have defeated one of the greatest playerin the history

Allie
07-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Pete should retire. It will definitely be embarrassing if he continues on and lose early in every tournament. :rolleyes:

Leave while you're on top.

Ingridy
07-17-2002, 05:51 PM
He should retire!!!! Better Now!!!! :)

Berlin_Calling
07-18-2002, 03:27 AM
Even though I dont like the "retire" threads that often come up, Pete really needs to retire

syd17
07-18-2002, 03:31 AM
yueh i think he should! he doesn't even seem to have the heart anymore in the game or at least doesn't show it on the tennis court!

good luck to him though whatever he does!

:)

Raven
07-18-2002, 04:34 AM
Well, as a fan it's always sad seeing a champion fade away like this :(...Pete will give up when he feels the time is right...trouble is...all of *us* think the time is now, and it certainly seems like that...and the losses are just getting worse and worse.

Remember Lendl in his final year? Faded out pretty bad...also Michael Chang and Jim Courier.

But hey, he's earning unbelievable amounts of money, so maybe he wants to line the coffers more ;) hehe

Dissident
07-18-2002, 04:39 AM
And what about if he really loves the stuff? Cant THAT be considered?
Just wondering...

Becool
07-18-2002, 05:53 AM
I hope he retires. He should have stopped in 2000...

He's losing and losing, and it's always better when you retire after you've done a great thing by winning a grand slam, or reaching finals of it. Like Graf in 1999. She stopped weeks later after reaching finals of Wimbledon. I think that Pete should have done the same thing after winning Wimbledon, or after he did Masters' semifinals..

harry_potter
07-18-2002, 05:55 AM
you're right, becool. he should have retired after Wimbledon 2000

Jem
07-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Certainly, the curtain is falling on Pete's great career, but I think he should leave on his own terms -- when he's ready to. So what if he suffers a few losses -- that's part of the game. It's just that his standard has been so much higher than all the other players for so many years. I think there's still a chance that he could catch fire and win another major.

Caio
07-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Wimbledon 2000? That's nuts. He reached 2 more Grand Slam finals after that.

The time is after this year's US Open with a memorable good-bye in the Arthur Ashe Stadium :)

christinaE
07-18-2002, 08:41 PM
You can post as many posts here as you like - that won't make any difference in Pete's decision when to retire!

And a lot of the "oh so talented young ones" are suffering some bad defeats as well at the moment. Why do you think little Lleyton has a free ride as nr 1 for the next year or so??

So let Pete be - he will do what is right for him.

GO PETE!!

Go Tim
07-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Couldn't agree more with Becool if I tried, Pete should definately have retired after Wimbledon 2000. There was nothing left that he was going to achieve (he was never going to win the French) and everyone would have remembered his last match, instead now people just talk about him losing early in most tournaments, and him retiring.
In reply to Caio, what if he doesn't get a good-bye on a big court and loses in the first round?

Mrs. B
07-18-2002, 10:50 PM
13 Grand Slams, over 40 million $ in prize money, $ from contracts...people will be talking about this man's accomplishment in the tennis world for a long long time. There's no point in losing to unknowns when your name is Pete Sampras. I'd say---quit now and just enjoy life. Enjoy your family, have children...:wavey:
Au revoir, Pete. And thanks for the wonderful tennis you gave us!

Caio
07-18-2002, 11:52 PM
Even if he loses in R1 he will get a big party for sure :)

He's the biggest player in America's history

Caio
07-18-2002, 11:53 PM
or better, in tennis history

Mimi
07-19-2002, 10:52 AM
Pete is the greatest ever, the living legend, even if he retires now, there is no regret giving his outstanding achievements but i think he is a great champion, he cannot retire without a title, so go pete, at least win a small one, I love you :bounce: :bounce:

Experimentee
07-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Thats ridiculous. Sampras is still one of the best in the world, he's in the top 20 and he reached the final of a Grand Slam less than a year ago. Sure he's in a bit of a slump this year, but so is Kafelnikov and no ones saying he should retire. He may not be as good as he once was, but hes still better than a lot of players and should keep on playing if he feels its the right thing to do. Its not up to any of us to decide whether he should retire or not.

tazban1
07-21-2002, 03:54 PM
Actually, Kafelnikov's on the verge of retirement, or so he says. He says he basically has one big goal (win Davis Cup) and then he's going to retire.

Personally, I think he'll be gone for a couple months and then be right back on tour. After all, this is the guy that said that he got bored after not playing for 2 weeks! Though his schedule does seem to be slimmer this year so maybe he's sort of backing into retirement already.

As for Pete getting the "he should retire" comments, he has one of the greatest careers in history so he has a lot more to tarnish than almost any guy. While it's sad to see any champion fade away, it's a lot harder to watch someone of Pete's legacy. People expect most players to have their bad results and lose to lower ranked players, but not the great champions.

Personally, I think a player should play as long as he wants to. But it is sad to see champions become non-entities.

TennisHack
07-21-2002, 09:34 PM
Count me in with "he should go while he still has a bit of dignity".

I think the fact that he reached the US Open final last year and got pummeled is crystal clear evidence that he's not the player he once was, and perhaps he needs to step aside. It's pretty pathetic to see him lose in every tournament he's played in.

Jenya Kafelinikov is probably not the person to refer to, but he said at Indian Wells that Pete has 3 or 4 years left on his clothing sponsorship so he'll be around until those run out. As for Kafel himself, he has mentioned several times that if Russia wins Davis Cup this year, he'll retire. I'll miss him, but that's life in tennis.

tennischick
07-21-2002, 11:16 PM
Sampras wants to finish on his terms

By Michael Arkush
Tennis Magazine

Excerpted from the July/August 2002 issue of TENNIS Magazine

Last fall, Pete Sampras had quite a few late nights. He'd get into bed with his wife, Bridgette Wilson, at their Beverly Hills, Calif., home, but instead of giving Bridgette a good-night kiss and rolling over to sleep, he'd unburden himself. Sampras was at a crossroads, and he needed direction from the person he trusts most.

"We would get into bed at 11 or 12 and be up talking until three in the morning," Bridgette says. "There were no phone calls or distractions. Just us." The topic of conversation was Pete's career, which had been in a downward spiral. It was a heavy subject, but one Pete felt comfortable discussing with Bridgette. "I internalize a lot, but I don't with my wife," he says. "I let my guard down. I tell her my feelings, where I am with everything. She always looks at the positive things, and I need to hear that and be around that. I'm a little bit of a pessimist. I get that from my dad."

Pete's inner pessimist was frustrated. The optimist lying beside him suggested that he rededicate himself to tennis, work harder than ever and give the game that's made him a legend one more push. Deep down, Pete liked the sound of that.

"I want to end my career on my terms, not on what people think I should do," he says. "I could've stopped and felt good about what I've done in my career, but that wouldn't have sat well with me. I wanted to keep going."

It's not easy being Pete Sampras these days. He hasn't won a tournament since Wimbledon 2000, where he set the men's record for the most Grand Slam singles titles (13). This spring was particularly rough. He got schooled by Wayne Ferreira in Scottsdale and Lleyton Hewitt in Indian Wells. A qualifier, Chile's Fernando Gonzalez, made him look every bit the 30-year-old at the NASDAQ-100. Then, at America's Davis Cup tie in Houston, which was played on grass in part to increase Pete's chances of winning, the seven-time Wimbledon champion lost to Spain's Alex Corretja, whose aversion to turf rivals Pete's disdain for clay.

Now Sampras is hearing it from the peanut gallery: Pete, you're washed up. Pete, you're embarrassing yourself. Pete, retire already. In April, when Yevgeny Kafelnikov said that Pete should hang it up, Sampras replied, "The day I need to respond to him is the day I will retire."

Although Sampras tries not to let it bother him, some things are tough to take. Consider an incident at last year's U.S. Open. After beating Patrick Rafter in the fourth round in 2001, Sampras says, "Mary Carillo looked at me and was shocked. I kind of took offense to that a little bit, like 'What's the big deal?' When moments like that begin to surprise me, I'll be lying on a beach. I'm sure a lot of people have written me off, but even if you've hit 30 or 31, it's a bunch of crap that you're done in tennis. It's a challenge to prove people wrong."

espn.com

Becool
07-23-2002, 08:42 AM
Trying more won't work Pete. You had a tremendous career, but you HAD!

Jim
07-23-2002, 09:19 AM
I don't think he should retire, he's still very good cmon !

He just needs confidence, everyone is waiting for him, I bet now he's scared to play !

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Sampras wants to finish on his terms

By Michael Arkush
Tennis Magazine

Excerpted from the July/August 2002 issue of TENNIS Magazine

It's not easy being Pete Sampras these days. He hasn't won a tournament since Wimbledon 2000,

Now Sampras is hearing it from the peanut gallery: Pete, you're washed up. Pete, you're embarrassing yourself. Pete, retire already. In April, when Yevgeny Kafelnikov said that Pete should hang it up, Sampras replied, "The day I need to respond to him is the day I will retire."

I'm sure a lot of people have written me off, but even if you've hit 30 or 31, it's a bunch of crap that you're done in tennis. It's a challenge to prove people wrong."

espn.com

a few months afterwards Pete would win his 14th slam and silence all the critics

and this post is dedicated to all the "should Federer/Nadal" retire threads

Goldenoldie
02-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Should Sampras come back?

BigJohn
02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Should SetSampras retire?

Persimmon
02-07-2010, 02:55 PM
LOL @ this thread.

paseo
02-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I haven't heard of MTF when this thread was made, but it seems, even most of the posters have changed, the posts are roughly the same :devil: