Becker d. Kuerten 64 63 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Becker d. Kuerten 64 63

scoobs
02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Surprised no-one posted this yet.

Guga can still qualify but he's got to beat Hernych very easily I believe.

keqtqiadv
02-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Guga :sad:

shotgun
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Kuerten just is not in the level to beat a top 50 yet, but he's getting there.

2moretogo
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Ummm can someone explain this to me?

Someone posted in the scoring thread that he needs to beat Hernych 6-3, 6-3 to qualify.

Does it have to be this exact scoreline- or so long as he Hernych doesn't win 7 games the entire match, Guga advances?

Jimnik
02-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Exactly. Hernych must win less than 7 games for Guga to advance.

6-3 6-3
6-4 6-2
7-5 6-1
7-6 6-0
are acceptable scorelines.

2moretogo
02-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Great thanks! If Hernych wins 7+ games, but still loses than does Becker advance? Or does it go to h2h therefore, technically Becker is out?

Jimnik
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Interesting question.

I believe that Becker's only chance would be for Hernych to win EXACTLY 7 games and lose. I think if it's more than 7, Hernych advances. :shrug:

Somebody feel free to correct me.

Shrinking Violet
02-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I hate RR - all the various scenarios about how certain players can or can't qualify do my head in.

A shame for Guga but the important thing at the moment is to get matches under his belt - results don't matter that much just now.

GugaF1
02-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Kuerten just is not in the level to beat a top 50 yet, but he's getting there.

Did you change your citizenship Shotgun? lol... weren't you from Brazil.

TMJordan
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
RR is a joke.

Guga :sad:

jeahhh!
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
:awww: Guga :hug:
:sobbing:

Snowwy
02-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Becker isnt a bad player.

Peoples
02-28-2007, 11:52 PM
:lol: Kuerten

Deboogle!.
02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Guga played one bad service game in both sets, and that was the match. Otherwise I thought it was sort of on the cusp of playing very well but that he's not quite there yet. He wasn't returning great, his returns were landing shorter than I'm sure he would've liked, and his BH timing seemed a bit off (which also could have been partially due to the altitude and wind in vegas), so i think he looks decent. He played much better in the 2nd set and really could've had some chances to break but he did get a couple of unlucky netcords and whatnot and then the bad game at 3-4.

I think he's close, though.

ASP0315
02-28-2007, 11:59 PM
RR sucks.
Guga :hug: good luck in your next match.

ChinoRios4Ever
03-01-2007, 01:21 AM
:sad: oh no Guga

shotgun
03-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Did you change your citizenship Shotgun? lol... weren't you from Brazil.

Yeah, because of Tennis Tipping. ;)

Guga played one bad service game in both sets, and that was the match. Otherwise I thought it was sort of on the cusp of playing very well but that he's not quite there yet. He wasn't returning great, his returns were landing shorter than I'm sure he would've liked, and his BH timing seemed a bit off (which also could have been partially due to the altitude and wind in vegas), so i think he looks decent. He played much better in the 2nd set and really could've had some chances to break but he did get a couple of unlucky netcords and whatnot and then the bad game at 3-4.

Thanks for the report. :)

TenHound
03-01-2007, 02:18 AM
Deb, et al - does he seem able to break into Top 100?

Deboogle!.
03-01-2007, 02:29 AM
I mean, this is the first time I'd seen him play probably in 3 years? They kept commenting on how his BH wasn't the same as it used to be, he definitely wasn't hitting a lot of winners with it, and he was making a lot of UEs off the ground on both sides (again, bad conditions so it's hard to really take that much about his form i think).

To me, he moved pretty well, and he showed signs of the Guga we all know and love, and I think those are the best signs. I noticed he played doubles later in the day, so physically he must be feeling ok. The commentators did mention how he said that when he goes to hit a forehand, his hip sort of has a feeling not of pain but that it *could* potentially go on him at any moment. I can imagine that's tough to play through mentally, every time you go to hit it, but he seemed okay.

I mean in my opinion he definitely has the ability to play good tennis. it'll be a matter of staying healthy and stringing matches together to get that timing and rhythm back.

Billabong
03-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Thank you so much for the reports:hug: I'm sure his backhand will be back very soon:)

its.like.that
03-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Guga sucks.

Retire Guga, you prick. :o

shotgun
03-01-2007, 03:06 AM
Guga sucks.

Retire Guga, you prick. :o

:lol:

its.like.that
03-01-2007, 03:07 AM
I never liked him.

TennisLurker
03-01-2007, 03:09 AM

He was never a terrific returner, even when he was number 1, return of serve used to be his great problem.

At least he will play 2 matches, all practice is good for him.

shotgun
03-01-2007, 03:10 AM
I never liked him.

It's ok, no one is forced to do so.

Deboogle!.
03-01-2007, 03:11 AM
He was never a terrific returner, even when he was number 1, return of serve used to be his great problem.

At least he will play 2 matches, all practice is good for him.Oh I know, but it seemed he was having particular trouble with it in the first set today. He did a better job with it in the 2nd set but was still unable to break.

Definitely agree that as long as he is feeling good physically the matches can only help.

Lee
03-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the report, Deb!

Henry Chinaski
03-01-2007, 03:58 AM
from atp:

Hernych will advance to the quarters by winning a set OR by winning eight or more games in a loss UNLESS one set loss goes to seven, in which case he advances by winning nine games or more in a loss. Kuerten will advance by winning the match and surrendering six or fewer games UNLESS he wins one to seven and surrenders seven or fewer games. Becker will move on IF Kuerten wins and surrenders seven games UNLESS one set win for Kuerten goes to seven and he surrenders eight games.

words fail me.

aramis
03-01-2007, 04:20 AM
^ That is freaking hilarious. The players have to start bringing their calculators with them to these RR events.

2moretogo
03-01-2007, 04:31 AM
So basically, Guga has to win in straight sets and if they go to a tiebreak in any set, Guga will not advance.

If tiebreak and Hernych loses he still advances if he has 9 or more total games (or wins a set)

Becker advances if anything else happens?

This is crazy... and stupid... I feel sorry for everyone involved.

Jimnik
03-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Guga can advance if he wins 7-6 6-1 or 6-4 6-2.
He needs to win in straight sets and win 6 more games than Hernych.

GlennMirnyi
03-01-2007, 05:43 AM
Guga needs more matches. His many UE are mainly because of this lack of consistency. He hits one, two good shots, and when he goes for the winner, he misses. Usual from players coming back. He'll get better, but Becker was just out of his reach. Mind that Becker was playing very badly, making a lot of UE and DFs.

jazar
03-01-2007, 07:41 AM
unlucky guga. you can still do it