Berdych Wants To Be Booed in Madrid07: "Spaniards only know about football and bulls" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Berdych Wants To Be Booed in Madrid07: "Spaniards only know about football and bulls"

Alvarillo
02-28-2007, 08:30 PM
:lol: And we also go dancing sevillanas while going to work or singing flamenco while waiting the bus .....
Thomas is again in top page of Spanish media :lol:
This guy hasn't learned anything! :lol:
I predict a big boo for him in October :lol: x 1000

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2007/02/28/tenis/1172673963.html

Andreev22
02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
when did he say this???

*Viva Chile*
02-28-2007, 08:33 PM
or he will withdraw for a silly injury, take care of your nails Berdy or they'll be broken and you can't play in Madrid :lol:

Johnny Groove
02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Berych needs to crawl back into that hole he came from.

R.Federer
02-28-2007, 08:35 PM
HAHAHAHA

That's great. He's fearless, and he probably figures he will play better with the crowd against him. Looking forward to El Berd's trip to Spain.

jazar
the word twat comes to mind

cmurray
:lol: And we also go dancing sevillanas while going to work or singing flamenco while waiting the bus .....

I don't read Spanish. Alvarillo, could you please tell us what precipitated this statement? What did the press ask him that could possibly have spawned THAT answer???

shotgun
If they boo him again they will just be proving his point. :)

RickDaStick
02-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Smart guys this berdych is. Hit the nail on the head once again.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Oh that's nasty, if he would have said that in america, he would have gotten beaten into rehab (all celebritie these days that have a little hate in their heart, seems to go to rehab and all is made better) Isn't he the one rafa got into it with one time over his disrepect for the spanish crowd.

Andreev22
02-28-2007, 08:37 PM
so i guess Berdych will not be entering Barcelona.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah next time rafa and him meet in a tourny, he need to not only kick his ass on the court but off the court as well. Boxing match anyone

shotgun
02-28-2007, 08:40 PM
But yeah, totally unnecessary thing to say. He shouldn't be making general statements about Spanish people, because there are great people in Madrid too. With Madrid being a mandatory tournament, he will have to be back there in October, so he shouldn't have said it.

Even though you can understand why he feels resented about this issue. Everyone who attended the match Berdych-Gonzalez should be able to understand that.

Alvarillo
I don't read Spanish. Alvarillo, could you please tell us what precipitated this statement? What did the press ask him that could possibly have spawned THAT answer???

He was asked by DPA about his possible match in Dubai against Nadal and he refused to answer but said that Spanish don't know ho to be a tennis supporter, that we don't know about tennis, only about football and bull fighting ...
Also said that in the same situation he would not have done the FINGERGATE
Also he hasn't spoken with rafa, only Hi, hello but nothing more.

RickDaStick
Yeah next time rafa and him meet in a tourny, he need to not only kick his ass on the court but off the court as well. Boxing match anyone

Nadal needs to learn the english language a little better before trying to yell at someone. I really felt bad for him last year in Madrid when he tried to say something to Berdych but his english really let him down and he just walked away.

FerrersLinda
02-28-2007, 08:43 PM

You mean you don't sing flamenco while waiting for the bus? So you probably don't only eat paella either then?:lol: ;)

Not very smart from Tommy B. but I kinda think it's funny. And I did think the crowd went a little overboard in Madrid.:cool:

NINA_BCN
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
:scratch: Uhmmm??? :scratch: Berdych? Who's that guy? :confused:

:cuckoo:

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Nadal needs to learn the english language a little better before trying to yell at someone. I really felt bad for him last year in Madrid when he tried to say something to Berdych but his english really let him down and he just walked away.

But baby fist can do what words cannot :lol:

shotgun
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Not very smart from Tommy B. but I kinda think it's funny. And I did think the crowd went a little overboard in Madrid.:cool:

Not only the crowd, but also the Spanish press backed Nadal and the crowd all the way and was pretty rude to Berdych.

DrJules
02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
If they boo him again they will just be proving his point. :)

Agree, but will the Spainish crowd realise they are proving his point.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Not only the crowd, but the Spanish press backed Nadal and the crowd all the way and was pretty rude to Berdych.

Oh tennis players aint nothing but big babies. The crowd isn't always on your side or that respectful for that matter. Not only did the crowd at the stadium during one of our home games-cleveland browns- cheer when a player got hurt, but that player was our own. It was not nice but life is not nice. He didn't go on t.v the next day and say this is why everyone calls you the mistake on the lake. Grow a backbone and if it pissed you off fine comment on that, but to generalize all spainards. Let's not go there.

Castafiore
02-28-2007, 08:50 PM
That's great. He's fearless, and he probably figures he will play better with the crowd against him. Looking forward to El Berd's trip to Spain.
Yup, he did just fine on the Saturday, didn't he?

Just keep making such sweeping, stupid statements about the Spaniards, Berdych....keep going. Let's see how good the memory of some of those Spaniards is.

FerrersLinda
Not only the crowd, but also the Spanish press backed Nadal and the crowd all the way and was pretty rude to Berdych.

Nadal is Spains favorite child atm so it's only normal.(I like Rafa btw:cool: ) But I think the crowd should have let it go after the Nadal match and not continue into Birdmans next.:rolleyes: No matter what he did or didn't do.

shotgun
Oh tennis players aint nothing but big babies. The crowd isn't always on your side or that respectful for that matter. Not only did the crowd at the stadium during one of our home games-cleveland browns- cheer when a player got hurt, but that player was our own. It was not nice but life is not nice. He didn't go on t.v the next day and say this is why everyone calls you the mistake on the lake. Grow a backbone and if it pissed you off fine comment on that, but to generalize all spainards. Let's not go there.

I agree, it was a stupid comment by Berdych.

shotgun
02-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Nadal is Spains favorite child atm so it's only normal.(I like Rafa btw:cool: ) But I think the crowd should have let it go after the Nadal match and not continue into Birdmans next.:rolleyes: No matter what he did or didn't do.

Exactly, the crowd's reaction to the "shhhh" in the Nadal match was completely legitimate. But the Gonzalez match was pretty embarassing. Even Gonzo himself seemed to be a bit embarassed by the situation.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
O.K what did they do that was so bad, I just want to know. I hate being out of the loop

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
So does this mean- the way some of the crowd acted during the USO match between Ginepri and Gasquet that the country is full of ingorant homophopes?

(There were a number of faggot slurs hurled towards Richad during that match, including by Mardy Fish.)

The crowds in some countries can act like asses. They did during the Berdych/Nadal match as they did during the Robby/Lalo match. But they have acted like asses in other countries as well. Robby handled the crowd like gangbusters- Tomas just continues to not act so well imo.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 08:56 PM
wait, who is gay. I'm lost

Pfloyd
02-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Man, Berych is a motherfucker.

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 08:59 PM
wait, who is gay. I'm lost

I'm not saying Richard is gay. But one of the lovely trends of USO crowds in the past few years has been mean to all Frenchies. And during the Robby/Richard 2005 match it was freaking awful.
And "faggot" is a slur, be it if you are straight, gay or whathaveyou.

The only actual time they cheered a French player was when Richard ironically enough played Hewitt in 2006. Because a lot of folks still hate Hewitt. But I have heard plenty of stories of very ugly fan behavior at the USO. Still you can find that at a number of other tournaments around the world. So all countires have ugly fans. Tomas is kind of being a nitwit by acting like Spanish fans are the only ones who can get ugly. I have the feeling- after these comments- he hasn't seen nothing yet.

mallorn
02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
:spit:

Wow, smart.

scoobs
02-28-2007, 09:05 PM
I've long suspected this boy is none too bright from his tennis tactics and here's conclusive proof.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
what did the spanish crowd do in the Gonzo match, shit if it was me I would've gave him a hard time to. You all should come to a cleveland vs. pittsburg match someday, or cleveland vs. baltimore match or cleveland vs. michigan match or for that matter O state vs. michigan state.... you know we have a lot of rivals over here. But I swear when those teams come to cleveland and you see people in clevleand supporting the enemy you'd think a war was going to break out. So depending on the situation I might have booed his ass during that Gonzo match too.

JBdV
02-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Berdych is an idiot, you just have to look at the way he behaved against Santoro at Wimbledon :o :o

cmurray
02-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow. Are we going to dredge this up again?

Berdych was disrespectful in Madrid, the crowd was disrespectful back...both in the wrong there in my opinion.

But this is something else entirely. Youth is no excuse for making sweeping generalizations. My 6 year old daughter knows better than to do that. It was out of line.

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Does anyone else really look forward to the next Tomas/Spaniard match. It will be on! ;)

What would be really good if is he lost to an inoffensive player like Ferrer- or even better, Moya. Hee!

DrJules
02-28-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm not saying Richard is gay. But one of the lovely trends of USO crowds in the past few years has been mean to all Frenchies. And during the Robby/Richard 2005 match it was freaking awful.
And "faggot" is a slur, be it if you are straight, gay or whathaveyou.

The only actual time they cheered a French player was when Richard ironically enough played Hewitt in 2006. Because a lot of folks still hate Hewitt. But I have heard plenty of stories of very ugly fan behavior at the USO. Still you can find that at a number of other tournaments around the world. So all countires have ugly fans. Tomas is kind of being a nitwit by acting like Spanish fans are the only ones who can get ugly. I have the feeling- after these comments- he hasn't seen nothing yet.

Mostly when Blake plays.

scoobs
02-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Wow. Are we going to dredge this up again?

Berdych was disrespectful in Madrid, the crowd was disrespectful back...both in the wrong there in my opinion.

But this is something else entirely. Youth is no excuse for making sweeping generalizations. My 6 year old daughter knows better than to do that. It was out of line.
Agree 100%

shotgun
02-28-2007, 09:15 PM
what did the spanish crowd do in the Gonzo match

- Booed him heavily when he entered the court.
- Booed him during the whole warm-up, whenever he would hit a ball.
- Cheered heavily every time he made an error, including faults and double faults.
- Booed him heavily when he made use of the hawk-eye system, three or four times.
- Booed him heavily when he left the court.

And of course, not to mention they were cheering heavily for his opponent, as if they were playing a Davis Cup match in Chile.

Shrinking Violet
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Berdych really needs to engage his brain before he does things in future. 'I know, what's the best way to draw a line under last year's problems and move on? I know! Lets insult an entire nation of people - that has to be the SMART thing to do!' :smash:

Clown that he is. I'm sure there's not many Spanish players in the game who might take exception to that comment. ;) :lol:

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
I still think tennis players are a bit sensitive.

shotgun
02-28-2007, 09:17 PM

No.

The crowd was disrespectful, then Berdych was disrespectful back, then the crowd was disrespectful back and the crowd again was disrespectful in the Gonzalez match.

connectolove
02-28-2007, 09:17 PM
what a dumb azz...

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 09:23 PM
No.

The crowd was disrespectful, then Berdych was disrespectful back, then the crowd was disrespectful back and the crowd again was disrespectful in the Gonzalez match.

So everyone except rafa was disrespectful. Come one there have been times when the French crowd was downright rude to Nadal and not to mention Lance Armstrong. Because they are so sick of people outside of the French flag winning their tournaments. But you have to keep your head, it's like with celebrities yeah the paparazzi are in the wrong but what happens when you lash out, you just look retarded in the end. Celebrities have figured that out, and I don't give them more credit than athletes in the brain wave area. But celebrities are trained in public relations so maybe athletes need some of that training as well.

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
No.

But he is not the first, nor the last to come against a disprespectful crowd. But I do believe that he is one of those handling it the worst. A number of Spanish players have had the French crowds boo them if they even take a drink of water at the FO. The Madrid crowd was ugly and immature, but imo, Tomas is not handling it well.

Actually, I amend my earlier statments. I would love for him to see him play someone like Almagro (who can be a real ass on non-home courts) in Barcelona, not even waiting for Madrid. Nico would be giving even more on the ass behavior. Could be fun.

vincayou
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
What an idiot, Spaniards know nothing about football...

scoobs
02-28-2007, 09:27 PM
The crowd was the crowd. They were cheering Rafa - they weren't *that* bad - jeez I've seen far worse crowds than that and not in DC ties. The US Open crowds can be worse when Blake plays, the French crowd can be notorious, often for no good reason. They weren't that bad.

Berdych is a professional tennis player, he should be used to dealing with a hostile crowd cheering for his opponent.

His response was his right - but it was childish. You deliberately rile a crowd up at your peril and they paid him back bigtime the next day and it was entirely his own fault.

shotgun
So everyone except rafa was disrespectful. Come one there have been times when the French crowd was downright rude to Nadal and not to mention Lance Armstrong. Because they are so sick of people outside of the French flag winning their tournaments. But you have to keep your head, it's like with celebrities yeah the paparazzi are in the wrong but what happens when you lash out, you just look retarded in the end. Celebrities have figured that out, and I don't give them more credit than athletes in the brain wave area. But celebrities are trained in public relations so maybe athletes need some of that training as well.

Nadal was a bit disrespectful, yes. He was the one firing the crowd up in the first place, did the usual stuff (fist pumping on UE) and called Berdych a stupid person after the match.

But he is not the first, nor the last to come against a disprespectful crowd. But I do believe that he is one of those handling it the worst.

Fair points, I never said I agree with his statements, even though I can understand his point of view.

Peoples
What else do they know about then? :confused:

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Maybe I don't need to go to tennis matches, because if it had been me at last years USO, Roddick vs. Fed/ U.S vs. the swiss. That's exactly how I would have treated it.

scoobs
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
The fact is, most players are smart enough to know when playing a home player in a home crowd, that you don't give the crowd an excuse to get on your case. He gave them ample excuse and they repaid him handsomely against Gonzalez - I thought he would have learned a lesson from that - when the crowd is baying for your blood it's hard to find your tennis. He played a shit match against Gonzalez.

Instead he seems to have learned that he needs to be more insulting.

Ooops.

Slow learner.

If he shows up again in Madrid this year I suspect the Spaniards will be happy to teach him the lesson again.

safinaferrero
02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
WTF with Berdych, hope journalist mispelled what he said coz it would be a very stupid coment :scratch:

cmurray
02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
No.

I think we're only differing on semantics here. I didn't mean that Berdych was disrespectful FIRST, just that he WAS disrespectful and certainly no martyr in the whole affair...though I will say that I watched that match in its entirety. During the Nadal match, I truly believe that the crowd had nothing whatsoever against Berdych - they just wanted Rafa to win. I've seen the very same behavior at the French (worse here actually), the US Open AND AO for the hometown favorites and just about every other tournament outside Wimbledon (and I think it only DOESN'T happen there because the people that we see courtside are often not hardcore tennis fans, but there for more....social purposes).

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that what the crowd did was justified....especially the Gonzo match, which was pretty awful (though not wholly unexpected). I'm saying that NONE of it is an excuse to make sweeping generalizations about an entire nation. Berdych is playing the "neener-neener-boo-boo" game. It doesn't become him.

shotgun
02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I think we're only differing on semantics here. I didn't mean that Berdych was disrespectful FIRST, just that he WAS disrespectful and certainly no martyr in the whole affair...though I will say that I watched that match in its entirety. During the Nadal match, I truly believe that the crowd had nothing whatsoever against Berdych - they just wanted Rafa to win. I've seen the very same behavior at the French (worse here actually), the US Open AND AO for the hometown favorites and just about every other tournament outside Wimbledon (and I think it only DOESN'T happen there because the people that we see courtside are often not hardcore tennis fans, but there for more....social purposes).

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that what the crowd did was justified....especially the Gonzo match, which was pretty awful (though not wholly unexpected). I'm saying that NONE of it is an excuse to make sweeping generalizations about an entire nation. Berdych is playing the "neener-neener-boo-boo" game. It doesn't become him.

:yeah:

R.Federer
02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
WTF with Berdych, hope journalist mispelled what he said coz it would be a very stupid coment :scratch:

You mean like they only know about futbol and Balls? ;)

I don't think there is anything lost in communication here...Tomas is just egging on the spectators, he might be sorry or he might have the last laugh.

scoobs
02-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Berdych clearly knows about the stuff that comes out the back end of a bull. :devil:

World Beater
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM

LMAO

calm down, son.

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
You mean like they only know about futbol and Balls? ;)

I don't think there is anything lost in communication here...Tomas is just egging on the spectators, he might be sorry or he might have the last laugh.

Frankly- after such a sweeping genralization against a whole country- I am hoping for the former. :)

(And hypocricy alert- I have finally reached the realm of being an anti-fan. Tomas can win in whatever country for the most part as far as I'm concerned, but I am kind of hoping he gets his butt kicked good and well next time he plays a Spaniard in Spain.)

World Beater
02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Frankly- after such a sweeping genralization against a whole country- I am hoping for the former. :)

(And hypocricy alert- I have finally reached the realm of being an anti-fan. Tomas can win in whatever country for the most part as far as I'm concerned, but I am kind of hoping he gets his butt kicked good and well next time he plays a Spaniard in Spain.)

what about cheering against americans because of the way they and their fans have treated the frenchies?

spanish crowds are more notorious than you think when it comes to anything sports...just ask the french football team.

RonE
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Berdych seems to be on his way to becoming the most hated man in Spain if he isn't already there yet :lol:

R.Federer
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I would like to see video of this. Maybe he is laughing as he says this, or maybe --shudder-- he is serious. :eek:

Honestly, there are players who have the guts to do this. Hewitt is/was one. It is a dangerous tactic, unless you have a lot of self belief. Egg on face is the usual upshot, but last laugh cannot be discounted. As a tennis spectator, I enjoy this kind of nonsense. It adds to the edge when he will play.

World Beater
02-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I would like to see video of this. Maybe he is laughing as he says this, or maybe --shudder-- he is serious. :eek:

Honestly, there are players who have the guts to do this. Hewitt is/was one. It is a dangerous tactic, unless you have a lot of self belief. Egg on face is the usual upshot, but last laugh cannot be discounted. As a tennis spectator, I enjoy this kind of nonsense. It adds to the edge when he will play.

i find it especially funny that some nadal fans who talk about federer's ballerina tennis in a demeaning way now complain about berdych because the guy walks the talk against nadal. this is what tennis needs, some edge. Wasn't it RFK who likened tennis more to boxing and than trash talking is part of the game? i'm not saying we need a connors or a mcenroe because those guys were foolson the court but this is a nice little rivalry building up.

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 10:05 PM
what about cheering against americans because of the way they and their fans have treated the frenchies?

spanish crowds are more notorious than you think when it comes to anything sports...just ask the french football team.

In another post I said that all nations are bad at times. I even called out the Frenchies for how they treat Spaniards.

And yes- I know that the Spanish crowd has been awful in soccer to both French and English teams. That banana incident was a truly ugly moment in sports. But at the same time, I have heard racial slurs in US stands during an Astros-Cubs and Red Sox/Yankees games and when I have been in the Philadelphia Eagles stands (even with McNabb being the QB).

Bascially, no country is immune. All have ugly behavior. Even the Aussie fans- who are normally pretty good- have been ugly. Basically no one from any country can throw a stone because they are all in a glass house.

As a tennis spectator, I enjoy this kind of nonsense. It adds to the edge when he will play.
That is why, as I stated earlier- I would love it if he could play Almagro. Nico doesn't give a poo outside of anyone outside of himself, but if Tomas is bugging him- I think it could be fun. I do count the Hewitt/Coria 2005 DC match as one of my most entertaining matches of the years if that is a good point of reference. If one is an asshole, it is better if both are. More fun.

Castafiore
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM

The difference is that Hewitt could handle a tough crowd. Remember the controversy in a Blake match at the USO and then having to face Sampras in the finals against a very, very hostile crowd?
Hewitt pulled it off in that USO and we've seen him handle a tough crowd before (I remember a DC tie against Spain with a tough crowd for example)
Berdych didn't handle it well Madrid in the next match.

I like a bit of DC atmosphere as well. I'm a football (soccer) fan so I'm used to a thing or two but there's a difference between egging on a crowd during a tournament and doing so months after a tournament and there's never an excuse for sweeping generalisations of an entire nation IMO.

Whistleway
02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
I can't wait for Nadal or Federer to put him on his place. That Berdych guy is really a twat. Which round in Dubai are they playing?

RonE
02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
i find it especially funny that some nadal fans who talk about federer's ballerina tennis in a demeaning way now complain about berdych because the guy walks the talk against nadal. this is what tennis needs, some edge. Wasn't it RFK who likened tennis more to boxing and than trash talking is part of the game? i'm not saying we need a connors or a mcenroe because those guys were foolson the court but this is a nice little rivalry building up.

Indeed it is. It's been a while since there were two high profile players that has as much needle between them as these two. I certainly hope they will meet in the HC AMS and also on the clay so we can see the way this develops :D

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 10:11 PM

That is like piecing together two different threads. What does Fed ballerina like playing have to do with Berdych and Nadal. Or Berdych and his disrespect.

Yeah and Berdych really walk the talk while being nicely escorted out of dubai today

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Indeed it is. It's been a while since there were two high profile players that has as much needle between them as these two

I actually think- even if it is not in as overstated way- you are seeing that a bit with Feds and Djokovic as well. Some needling.

The difference is that Hewitt could handle a tough crowd. Remember the controversy in a Blake match at the USO and then having to face Sampras in the finals against a very, very hostile crowd?
Hewitt pulled it off in that USO and we've seen him handle a tough crowd before (I remember a DC tie against Spain with a tough crowd for example)

I like a bit of DC like atmosphere as well. I'm a football (soccer) fan so I'm used to a thing or two but there's a difference between egging on a crowd during a tournament and doing so months after a tournament and there's never an excuse for sweeping generalisation of an entire nation IMO.

Very good points. Hewitt could spout it but could take it. Tomas crumpled against Gonzo.

And I loathe any genralizations against a whole country. Even if that is done here a lot at MTF- it does not mean that I agree with ith.

Johnny Groove
02-28-2007, 10:12 PM

come on now. I love this kind of thing. i think berdych is an asshole, sure, but i love seeing this. Nowadays, there are too many bitches and not enough balls on tour to talk shit and back it up. It seems that "too good, Roger" is the staple for everyone and "he's the best ever" are the most defeatist statements in the locker room.

scoobs
02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
For a long time Berdych has been high profile for being high profile. I'd be more impressed of he demonstrated he could win titles and challenge for the biggies rather than mouthing off.

JBdV
02-28-2007, 10:13 PM

Kind of ironic this story comes out now with what happened in the Seville derby tonight :o

RonE
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I actually think- even if it is not in as overstated way- you are seeing that a bit with Feds and Djokovic as well. Some needling.

Maybe a little bit but not to the extent that we are seeing here. I mean, before Madrid it was quite obvious there was no love lost between them but that incident took it to a whole new stratosphere.

connectolove
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM

I am a Spaniard and I admire Federer. Berdych is a little bit annoying but it adds to the game. I hope that we will see Nadal beat his azz someday.

RonE
02-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I can't wait for Nadal or Federer to put him on his place. That Berdych guy is really a twat. Which round in Dubai are they playing?

No one is playing Berdych in Dubai- Youzhny took him out earlier today.

Ariadne
02-28-2007, 10:18 PM
:inlove: Berdych! :inlove:

:ras: Haters! :ras:

http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/shh.gif

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 10:21 PM
http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/shh.gif[/IMG]

Maybe the crowd today should have done that to berdie while showing his ass the right side of the door.

Exit please mr.Berdych to the left

NicoFan
02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I still think tennis players are a bit sensitive.

:lol:

That is the understatement of the year.

They are also a bit on the tempermental side.

R.Federer
02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Very good points. Hewitt could spout it but could take it. Tomas crumpled against Gonzo.

Yes, but Tomas has lost all of his matches against Gonzo in this straight set nondescript fashion. So it is hard to tell how much the crowd had to do with it.

Corey Feldman
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
BERDYCH FUCKING RULES!!!!!
:rocker2: :rocker2: :haha:

you tell them son, land of the stupid burro's

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Wait and what country do you hail from

scoobs
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Berdych hasn't won a title since Paris indoors 2005.

Laughable.

R.Federer
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Well there are many examples for Hewitt, I mean he does tend to rile up spectators everywhere :lol:

At the USO final however, apart from the usual partisan crowd when there is an American finalist, I do not remember anything unusually hostile in 2001. Undoubtedly, rooted for Sampras over Lleyton. Just like for Agassi over Federer. IMO, the USO crowd is never really hostile. They are just loud, they are there for a good time, they eat a lot (I did too)

Clara Bow
02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
:inlove: Berdych! :inlove:

:ras: Haters! :ras:

http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/shh.gif

It's not about being a playa hata from my end.

It is about making sweeping generalizations against a country. Such as: "All folks from the US are fat." "Everyone in Mexico comes from a large family and is lazy." Or as my brother said after living in Geneva for 11 months during his 20s "The Swiss are standoffish and boring." (He had misanthropic tendancies- so no one took that seriously.)

None fit. You find great folks from all countries. Tomas is doing himself no favors here.

Peoples
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Spaniards are haters. They only love football, bulls and pigs :shrug:

Corey Feldman
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Wait and what country do you hail fromPapua New Guinea

whats it to a yanktard like you?

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Spaniards are haters. They only love football, bulls and pigs :shrug:

well I guess that settles that argument.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Papua New Guinea

whats it to a yanktard like you?

Nothing just curious...you know wouldn't want to start a flag war and all. No new Guine has so much going for it, what could you possible have agaisnt new guineans (sp). That's what they are called right. Oh hell how would I know. where is that on the map again. some one, anyone a map please

Peoples
02-28-2007, 10:38 PM
well I guess that settles that argument.

There never was an argument, hun ;)

jacobhiggins
02-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh that's nasty, if he would have said that in america, he would have gotten beaten into rehab (all celebritie these days that have a little hate in their heart, seems to go to rehab and all is made better) Isn't he the one rafa got into it with one time over his disrepect for the spanish crowd.

No the crowd deserved it, Berdych is fearless, an awesome tennis player.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 11:00 PM

Right, fearless regular ol tiger out there on court. I think I heard berdie ask politely for his ass back from youzney. But youzney just laughed and pointed. Funny boy

scoobs
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Berdych is a male Sharapova with about 25% of her fighting quality.

Julio1974
02-28-2007, 11:26 PM
He already showed many times he has no brain whatsoever inside the court. It seems he does not use his brain either outside the courts.

Henry Chinaski
02-28-2007, 11:31 PM
either he was joking or the guy really is as thick as pig shit.

booa
02-28-2007, 11:49 PM
So everyone except rafa was disrespectful. Come one there have been times when the French crowd was downright rude to Nadal and not to mention Lance Armstrong. Because they are so sick of people outside of the French flag winning their tournaments.

So how do you explain LeMond's (American - 3-time-Tour de France winner ) popularity in France ? :rolleyes:

and if the French were really "so sick of people outside of the French flag winning their tournaments" I'm sure that they would have already made the Tour de France a national race by now (the last time a French cyclist won the tour de France was in 1985) ... and renamed it "the world series of cycling"! :angel: :lol:

TomasandLucie
02-28-2007, 11:49 PM
I am an aussie who is spanish and Berdych is my favourite player
I recon he is great for the game. He may have people who hate him, but he has a hell of alot of people who support him aswell!!
Go tomas!!!

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Oh please the french audience expressed their disdain for lance's dominance in the tour plenty of time.And French tennis fans have been less than kindly towards nadal on a couple of occasions

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 11:52 PM
I am an aussie who is spanish and Berdych is my favourite player
I recon he is great for the game. He may have people who hate him, but he has a hell of alot of people who support him aswell!!
Go tomas!!!

what does that have to do with his comment

cobalt60
02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Oh please the french audience expressed their disdain for lance's dominance in the tour plenty of time.And French tennis fans have been less than kindly towards nadal on a couple of occasions

I believe he was referring to Greg Lemond not Lance Armstrong;)

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I believe he was referring to Greg Lemond not Lance Armstrong;)

Yeah but I was referring to Lance in my original comment

TomasandLucie
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
i am just supporting him, this thread seems to be against him

Johnny Groove
02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Nothing just curious...you know wouldn't want to start a flag war and all. No new Guine has so much going for it, what could you possible have agaisnt new guineans (sp). That's what they are called right. Oh hell how would I know. where is that on the map again. some one, anyone a map please

i understand you were trying to diss his country, but you made yourself out to be a moron.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 11:58 PM
i am just supporting him, this thread seems to be against him

well I sure some people are, but most people are against what he said. And berdie doens't make it all that hard to not dislike him.

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 11:59 PM
i understand you were trying to diss his country, but you made yourself out to be a moron.

why do you quote or comment on anything I say.... avoidance is the key...keep it in mind

aulus
03-01-2007, 12:01 AM

:rolls:

you're right, they always disappoint in world cup, and they have to get players like puskas, di stefano, zidane, ronaldinho to win. :angel:

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 12:02 AM
i understand now why tomas will not play Barcelona this year :-)

yeah, he can't back up his mouth with his tennis...

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Berdych will be playing in Barcelona, maybe the Catalans will appreciate him more then again maybe not.

TomasandLucie
03-01-2007, 12:06 AM
well I sure some people are, but most people are against what he said. And berdie doens't make it all that hard to not dislike him.

Who are 'most people', people that have posted here were against him before these comments were made...

Johnny Groove
03-01-2007, 12:08 AM
why do you quote or comment on anything I say.... avoidance is the key...keep it in mind

yeah, i stalk you and quote your posts all the time :rolleyes: I was reading through the thread and saw your little back and forth with Escude and thought you made yourself look stupid, and pointed it out.

Berdych will be playing in Barcelona, maybe the Catalans will appreciate him more then again maybe not.

Maybe Berdych will soon be to Spain what Hewitt is to Argentina

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Who are 'most people', people that have posted here were against him before these comments were made...

He's a cry baby. Massu was insulted in Buenos Aires much worse than Berdych in Madrid and he was smart enough not to make any comments such as Argentines only know about barbecue and football. I can understand his "shhhhhhhh" as a instictive reaction but this comment is stupid and completely out of place.

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:14 AM
yeah, i stalk you and quote your posts all the time :rolleyes: I was reading through the thread and saw your little back and forth with Escude and thought you made yourself look stupid, and pointed it out.

Apparently you do, Baby boy let me give you a piece of advise. I'm right and as long as you keep that in mind in regards to reading my future post you'll do fine.

And so sorry I insulted your boyfriend next time I take it to him, I'll be sure to keep in mind when i'm picking a fight with him I'm also picking a fight with his man protector as well

TomasandLucie
03-01-2007, 12:18 AM
He's a cry baby. Massu was insulted in Buenos Aires much worse than Berdych in Madrid and he was smart enough not to make any comments such as Argentines only know about barbecue and football. I can understand his "shhhhhhhh" as a instictive reaction but this comment is stupid and completely out of place.

Your opinion :)

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:19 AM

Well Mr.Disney says the game needs heroes and villians, so Berdych is stepping up to the plate in one of these roles.

At the same time Berdman could have easily been deadpan and the journalist not get the tone, it's easy enough to do or he could just said what he thought at the time. That's fine as well, but if you are going to make sort of those comments, then back it up.

Johnny Groove
03-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Apparently you do, Baby boy let me give you a piece of advise. I'm right and as long as you keep that in mind in regards to reading my future post you'll do fine.

And so sorry I insulted your boyfriend next time I take it to him, I'll be sure to keep in mind when i'm picking a fight with him I'm also picking a fight with his man protector as well

:spit: even though we share similar views when dealing with Rafa, you are NOT always right. i dunno what you're talking about. and no, im not Escude's man protector :rolleyes:

Johnny Groove
03-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Well Mr.Disney says the game needs heroes and villians, so Berdych is stepping up to the plate in one of these roles.

At the same time Berdman could have easily been deadpan and the journalist not get the tone, it's easy enough to do or he could just said what he thought at the time. That's fine as well, but if you are going to make sort of those comments, then back it up.

if he was a REAL man, he'd play every spanish event.

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:20 AM

Well if people dislike him, that's them. Like I said from the looks of it he doesn't make it hard. But most of the post have to do with his comment and actions

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:22 AM
:spit: even though we share similar views when dealing with Rafa, you are NOT always right. i dunno what you're talking about. and no, im not Escude's man protector :rolleyes:

Could of fooled me.

just proves you need to pay attention more, might help you out in the future

La Zingara
03-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi Mr Beast... :hatoff:

You're blog is unbelievable.

I have 3 questions for you :singer:

Q1 : Do you find it clever bashing world n#2 publicly by saying that Spaniards are only good at corridas & football ? :cuckoo:

Q2 : Are you big-headed because your only record is to have beaten Rafa a couple of times ? (How many tournaments did you win til now ?! I forgot them all...) :angel:

Q3 : Be careful not to cross my way again, I'll be back in Madrid in the mad crowd, you know, the one that whistled so well and made you cry... :nerner:

Thanx for answering...

A Bull & Football Fan

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:23 AM
if he was a REAL man, he'd play every spanish event.

Barcelona and Madrid are good enough, there's no point going to Valencia unless he wants to eat paella, party and throw tomatoes at people.

lau
03-01-2007, 12:24 AM

Hewitt never made those kind of comments about Argentina, no matter how he expressed his concerns about his security and the Argentine crowd. I honestly don´t remember Hewitt making this kind of comments...
I think it´s fair to say that Lleyton already has to do a couple of things to be what Berdych is to Spain after this. ;) After all, he was treated like a star here when he didn´t play the DC matches.

Johnny Groove
03-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Could of fooled me.

just proves you need to pay attention more, might help you out in the future

I NEED to pay attention more? :lol: you are the delusional and (apparently, see my siggy) eternally drunkard one

World Beater
03-01-2007, 12:25 AM
In another post I said that all nations are bad at times. I even called out the Frenchies for how they treat Spaniards.

And yes- I know that the Spanish crowd has been awful in soccer to both French and English teams. That banana incident was a truly ugly moment in sports. But at the same time, I have heard racial slurs in US stands during an Astros-Cubs and Red Sox/Yankees games and when I have been in the Philadelphia Eagles stands (even with McNabb being the QB).

Bascially, no country is immune. All have ugly behavior. Even the Aussie fans- who are normally pretty good- have been ugly. Basically no one from any country can throw a stone because they are all in a glass house.

That is why, as I stated earlier- I would love it if he could play Almagro. Nico doesn't give a poo outside of anyone outside of himself, but if Tomas is bugging him- I think it could be fun. I do count the Hewitt/Coria 2005 DC match as one of my most entertaining matches of the years if that is a good point of reference. If one is an asshole, it is better if both are. More fun.

the only reason i asked is because berdych isnt the first player to do so. like you said, american players have done it against other nationalities too. i'm just curious to know whether you root against FISH too or most probably it has to with the fact that berdych's generalizations stem from his rivalry with your boy rafa;) :p

Julio1974
Well if people dislike him, that's them. Like I said from the looks of it he doesn't make it hard. But most of the post have to do with his comment and actions

Exactly. It's funny to see how some people can never admit his fav. player was wrong... I mean, one may like Berdych's tennis but this comment was simply stpuid (even if it pretended to be a joke).

Corey Feldman
What is this fighting going on with my name mentioned?
enough, this is a thread of worship for Tomas 'the spaniard' Berdych
;)

And so sorry I insulted your boyfriend next time I take it to him, I'll be sure to keep in mind when i'm picking a fight with him I'm also picking a fight with his man protector as wellJealous are we EH ?

ChinoRios4Ever
03-01-2007, 12:26 AM
talk trasher... :sad:

i'd like to see berdman playing in SA

Johnny Groove
03-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Barcelona and Madrid are good enough, there's no point going to Valencia unless he wants to eat paella, party and throw tomatoes at people.

who wouldnt want to do that? :lol:

Hewitt never made those kind of comments about Argentina, no matter how he expressed his concerns about his security and the Argentine crowd. I honestly don´t remember Hewitt making this kind of comments...
I think it´s fair to say that Lleyton already has to do a couple of things to be what Berdych is to Spain after this. ;) After all, he was treated like a star here when he didn´t play the DC matches.

:lol: berdych has already made the big time :lol:

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:27 AM
What is this fighting going on with my name mentioned?
enough, this is a thread of worship for Thomas 'the spaniard' Berdych
;)

Jealous are we EH ?

I must confess, I am. I thought if anyone here would be the first to have a love affair with someone from the other side it'd be me. You finally won, Escude you broke my heart.

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
I NEED to pay attention more? :lol: you are the delusional and (apparently, see my siggy) eternally drunkard one

The truly funny thing is, with all my drunk post, I still make more sense than more than half of the silly nonsensical back and forth you try and pull off with Glenn and company... truly what's your purpose in life. No calm, down calm down now this is really exciting.

Corey Feldman
03-01-2007, 12:30 AM
i'd like to see berdman playing in SASouth Africa ?
Escude you broke my heart.:hug:

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:31 AM
:hug:

:smooch:

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 12:32 AM
South Africa ?

South America

Johnny Groove
03-01-2007, 12:34 AM
The truly funny thing is, with all my drunk post, I still make more sense than more than half of the silly nonsensical back and forth you try and pull off with Glenn and company... truly what's your purpose in life. No calm, down calm down now this is really exciting.

again, you must be jealous. no one to banter with :awww:

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:34 AM
who wouldnt want to do that? :lol:

Well you don't go to Valencia for the visual beauty of the place :p

Takes a special crowd to boo in the warm up, haha.

TomasandLucie
03-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Exactly. It's funny to see how some people can never admit his fav. player was wrong... I mean, one may like Berdych's tennis but this comment was simply stpuid (even if it pretended to be a joke).
I think berdychs comments were immature, but we dont know the context they were in.

Its just like if you fav said something and a whole lot of people were bagging him you are most likely to support your fav:)

World Beater
03-01-2007, 12:36 AM
That is like piecing together two different threads. What does Fed ballerina like playing have to do with Berdych and Nadal. Or Berdych and his disrespect.

Yeah and Berdych really walk the talk while being nicely escorted out of dubai today

trash talking is part of sports and adds to the excitement in the game. Remember that there's always two sides two conflicts. Berdych in this case wasnt an assho#e for nothing. he was responding to the crowd and he is a bit of a hot head but so is nadal. unfortunately for many american fans, tennis' #1 is a CON MAN, the way michael jordan was with his competition. Jordan frequently befriended his opposition as part of psychological warfare only to crush the living crap out of them on the court.

its easy to see. anyone who has the game and the swagger to threaten roger brings out some feistiness which we rarely see. No reason for roger to bring out the big guns against scrubs.

when jordan was challenged he responded with fury and we saw a whole new side to his airness. i think as the rivalry intensifies on clay, we will see a new roger who wont be so gentlemanly, but a roger who wants to win at all costs. i know roger will step it up, i hope rafael can match him (he has been in a slight slump recently).

sondraj06
again, you must be jealous. no one to banter with :awww:

I already explained I was. But escude made me feel better. Leave my man alone

Johnny Groove
Well you don't go to Valencia for the visual beauty of the place :p

Takes a special crowd to boo in the warm up, haha.

yes, a very special crowd. :)

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 12:38 AM
I think berdychs comments were immature, but we dont know the context they were in.

Its just like if you fav said something and a whole lot of people were bagging him you are most likely to support your fav:)

When Nalbandian makes some stupid comment (such as his childish behaviour in Croatia) I'm the first one to recognize it. I admire his tennis, but he is not perfect.

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:40 AM
trash talking is part of sports and adds to the excitement in the game. Remember that there's always two sides two conflicts. Berdych in this case wasnt an assho#e for nothing. he was responding to the crowd and he is a bit of a hot head but so is nadal. unfortunately for many american fans, tennis' #1 is a CON MAN, the way michael jordan was with his competition. Jordan frequently befriended his opposition as part of psychological warfare only to crush the living crap out of them on the court.

its easy to see. anyone who has the game and the swagger to threaten roger brings out some feistiness which we rarely see. No reason for roger to bring out the big guns against scrubs.

when jordan was challenged he responded with fury and we saw a whole new side to his airness. i think as the rivalry intensifies on clay, we will see a new roger who wont be so gentlemanly, but a roger who wants to win at all costs. i know roger will step it up, i hope rafael can match him (he has been in a slight slump recently).

I get that, that's fine. But doesn't being apart of the game also involve being able to take it too. My god, so what the crowd wasn't on your side. Ohh they don't want me to win, and then when I antagonize them for not liking me they not like me more, and show it. Come on, you can't really be condoning his behavior. Fine if you want to act an ass, act an ass. I do, but then I don't expect peachy cream behavior in return. If you can give it, be able to take it. Preferably without making prejudice statement while doing it.

ChinoRios4Ever
03-01-2007, 12:43 AM
South America

:yeah: thanks

World Beater
03-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I get that, that's fine. But doesn't being apart of the game also involve being able to take it too. My god, so what the crowd wasn't on your side. Ohh they don't want me to win, and then when I antagonize them for not liking me they not like me more, and show it. Come on, you can't really be condoning his behavior. Fine if you want to act an ass, act an ass. I do, but then I don't expect peachy cream behavior in return. If you can give it, be able to take it. Preferably without making prejudice statement while doing it.

LMAO...whats your point? I think berdych understands the consequences of his actions. he isnt this young teenager anymore.

i dont understand how you are giving the crowd the right to antagonize berdych, but not the other way around? LOL. i dont see the issue here. berdych doesnt like spanish crowds and they dont like him. end of story.

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Preferably without making prejudice statement while doing it.

Im sorry, prejudice?!?! Unless he called all Spaniards scum of the earth hijos de sus putas madres, I see nothing prejudiced in what he said. Spaniards are known for their bull fighting and for their prowess in soccer, that's one of the things that makes the Spanish world renowned and you fools are making it out to be like he insulted every Spaniard by calling their mothers women of ill repute and spitting on the royal family. Come on! It shouldn't even be referred to in side notes as an insult!

sondraj06
LMAO...whats your point? I think berdych understands the consequences of his actions. he isnt this young teenager anymore.

i dont understand how you are giving the crowd the right to antagonize berdych, but not the other way around? LOL. i dont see the issue here. berdych doesnt like spanish crowds and they dont like him. end of story.

This wasn't about him antagonizing the crowd when he played there, I was making fun of that exchange this entire time.

Tennis players are baby and they whine alot.. the crowd doesn't like me, ohhh, whatever.

This is about the prejudice over the top generalization that he made about all spanairds. Got it

Clara Bow
i'm just curious to know whether you root against FISH too or most probably it has to with the fact that berdych's generalizations stem from his rivalry with your boy rafa

Actually, in the list of our least favorites- Fish was on my list. I have disliked him since he said nasty comments to Julian B. after losing to him. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt after- but there were some other nasty incidents since then that have solidified my dislike. And I don't enjoy his play enough to have him tip over in my esteem of him. But I'm sure he has plenty of fans, and I understand that. Plus- his calves look too much like mine- which as a lady with toothpick calves- it kinda freaks me out. :p

Sometimes, if a player that I am on the fence about behaves very well in a bad situation- it ups my like for them. That happened with Robby Ginepri after his match against Lopez in Madrid. He acted pure class.

Granted- some players that are already my faves have had bad moments- and I will call them out. Nadal acted like a baby in Madrid. David has made utterly ass comments and sometimes Luby seems like he is drinking sourgrape-ade. And I am still a fan of Hewitt and Coria- but I can acknowledge that they have had ass behavior.

I am not a big fan of Tomas- but he is not a player that I dislike. Still, I don't think he is handling this situation well. I hate generalizations - be them made by Berdych or Nalby. (Or Rafa.) And imo- this comment was pretty stupid. If you are going to trash talk- try not to do it against a very vocal nation that actully does have fans who appreciate the sport of tennis.

And as Julio pointed out- players have had to battle with crap crowds before and have handled it better.

And as for Rafa being "my boy"- as you can see by my signature list- if I canceled players out because they did something against another player I liked I would probably be only left with about three players that I actually liked. (How could I then like Nalby and Tim.) ;) Rafa is not the end all, be all in my tennis universe.

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Im sorry, prejudice?!?! Unless he called all Spaniards scum of the earth hijos de sus putas madres, I see nothing prejudiced in what he said. Spaniards are known for their bull fighting and for their prowess in soccer, that's one of the things that makes the Spanish world renowned and you fools are making it out to be like he insulted every Spaniard by calling their mothers women of ill repute and spitting on the royal family. Come on! It shouldn't even be referred to in side notes as an insult!

O.K whatever not prejudice, disrespectful comment. It was over the top

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 12:52 AM

He's clearly implying the Spanish public in general is ignorant about tennis ...

Johnny Groove
03-01-2007, 12:52 AM
sometimes Luby seems like he is drinking sourgrape-ade.

SOMETIMES?!??!!? thats a compliment, love :lol:

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 12:53 AM
O.K whatever not prejudice, disrespectful comment. It was over the top

How? Was he burning a Spanish flag while singing to La Macarena while doing it?

sawan66278
03-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Berdcyh is known to be a loose cannon when it comes to comments and attitude. If I'm not mistaken, he had a mini-confrontation by the much loved Tursonov. He acted like a punk last year in Spain, and responded like a wimp.

And he hails from the same nation as Ivan Lendl.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Lendl, unlike Berdych (who has done NOTHING of real significance) in the game, would have answered with his PLAY...and not with words. Walk the walk, buddy...walk the walk...

La Zingara
03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Wowowow.

One moment.

I was at this f*****g match in Madrid as it happened. Everbody saw what Berdych was doing. He asked US to shut up and stop cheering for our
countryman.

What I don't accept is the way he did it and the way he tried to explain it. Just ridiculous.

I was proud to be part of this crowd and took it as a personal attack.

Feña had no other choice the following day than to beat him. He deserved his victory, no doubt about it. He was the first surprised how much the crowd was on his side and thanked us for that.

Berdych just can't forget the whole story and doesn't like Rafa. That's all I see. He doesn't know the meaning of fair-play.

World Beater
03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
This wasn't about him antagonizing the crowd when he played there, I was making fun of that exchange this entire time.

Tennis players are baby and they whine alot.. the crowd doesn't like me, ohhh, whatever.

This is about the prejudice over the top generalization that he made about all spanairds. Got it

:haha:

no. OMG...berdych is a racist. LMAO. go and read what he said again. the comment itself was stupid but you are exaggerating. but eh...what else is knew? I'm starting to doubt if you are RFK's successor. at times even he had more sense than you.

again, you are hypocritical. if the crowd and fans can whine about berdboy, why cant he whine back?

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 12:56 AM
He's clearly implying the Spanish public in general is ignorant about tennis ...

:secret: They kinda are But what crowd in a big tournament who isn't from MTF actually follows tennis regularly?

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 12:56 AM
How? Was he burning a Spanish flag while singing to La Macarena while doing it?

Wow did you read what he said. That isn't over the top for you, and personally I don't care about burning flags but none the less, it is disrespectful. Where are you from, If I said that all people from ____ insert country here, where only good for picking apples and procreation's, that wouldn't come off the least bit disrespectful to you.

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Wow did you read what he said. That isn't over the top for you, and personally I don't care about burning flags but none the less, it is disrespectful. Where are you from, If I said that all people from ____ insert country here, where only good for picking apples and procreation's, that wouldn't come off the least bit disrespectful to you.

I'm from the US :D

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 12:59 AM

If we were damn good at it why not??

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 01:00 AM

no. OMG...berdych is a racist. LMAO. go and read what he said again. the comment itself was stupid but you are exaggerating. but eh...what else is knew? I'm starting to doubt if you are RFK's successor. at times even he had more sense than you.

again, you are hypocritical. if the crowd and fans can whine about berdboy, why cant he whine back?

I'm really starting to get the sense that you spend most of your day with your mouth wide open. What for, only you truly know that answer. All you do is quote some one, put a laughing smiley behind it and type LMAO. what, go back and read my post. It's not about him whiny about the crowd, its about him being disrespect to a whole country.

Please tell me you got that. Because if I have to explain it again, I'm going to question your intelligence

lau
03-01-2007, 01:00 AM
IMHO this kind of generalizations are disrespectful..., specially if he used the word 'only' and he is talking about an entire nation.

EDIT: and it´s not a very intelligent thing to say :lol:

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
IMHO this kind of generalizations are disrespectful..., specially if he used the word 'only' and he is talking about an entire nation.

Is there actually a written transcript of these comments?

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 01:02 AM
If we were damn good at it why not??

No all jokes aside, to say that's all they are good at. seriously

World Beater
03-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Actually, in the list of our least favorites- Fish was on my list. I have disliked him since he said nasty comments to Julian B. after losing to him. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt after- but there were some other nasty incidents since then that have solidified my dislike. And I don't enjoy his play enough to have him tip over in my esteem of him. But I'm sure he has plenty of fans, and I understand that. Plus- his calves look too much like mine- which as a lady with toothpick calves- it kinda freaks me out. :p

Sometimes, if a player that I am on the fence about behaves very well in a bad situation- it ups my like for them. That happened with Robby Ginepri after his match against Lopez in Madrid. He acted pure class.

Granted- some players that are already my faves have had bad moments- and I will call them out. Nadal acted like a baby in Madrid. David has made utterly ass comments and sometimes Luby seems like he is drinking sourgrape-ade. And I am still a fan of Hewitt and Coria- but I can acknowledge that they have had ass behavior.

I am not a big fan of Tomas- but he is not a player that I dislike. Still, I don't think he is handling this situation well. I hate generalizations - be them made by Berdych or Nalby. (Or Rafa.) And imo- this comment was pretty stupid. If you are going to trash talk- try not to do it against a very vocal nation that actully does have fans who appreciate the sport of tennis.

And as Julio pointed out- players have had to battle with crap crowds before and have handled it better.

And as for Rafa being "my boy"- as you can see by my signature list- if I canceled players out because they did something against another player I liked I would probably be only left with about three players that I actually liked. (How could I then like Nalby and Tim.) ;) Rafa is not the end all, be all in my tennis universe.

okay. he is one of your boys. sure, but then again you were on the ropes as far as berdych is concerned and perhaps he tipped you over when he acted immaturely in spain. if im understanding you correctly, you did imply that being an anti-fan with regards to berdych means you will cheer against him in the future-hence your dislike for berdych. if this wasnt your intention. fine.:)

lau
03-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Is there actually a written transcript of these comments?

I´ve been looking for it, but I only found the articles in spanish

Corey Feldman
03-01-2007, 01:04 AM
Oh
its Sawan :rolleyes:

And he hails from the same nation as Ivan Lendl.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Lendl, unlike Berdych (who has done NOTHING of real significance) in the game, would have answered with his PLAY...and not with words. Walk the walk, buddy...walk the walk...He did beat the GOAT at the Olympics.
usually anyone that beats the GOAT is a legend to you

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 01:04 AM
No all jokes aside, to say that's all they are good at. seriously

To me it seems like he's talking that's it's all they know about in sports:

"Ellos no entienden el tenis, no entienden lo que un aficionado debe hacer en un estadio. Quizás sólo sepan de fútbol y de corridas, o como le digan, de corridas de toros",

World Beater
03-01-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm really starting to get the sense that you spend most of your day with your mouth wide open. What for, only you truly know that answer. All you do is quote some one, put a laughing smiley behind it and type LMAO. what, go back and read my post. It's not about him whiny about the crowd, its about him being disrespect to a whole country.

Please tell me you got that. Because if I have to explain it again, I'm going to question your intelligence

yep because you are a constant source of entertainment. im not the one who posts 8573897483274 a day and engages in banter with trolls. only you can explain that one. for that im laughing.

keep it up. im enjoying this.

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Sondra, did you actually even read the article?

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 01:08 AM
yep because you are a constant source of entertainment. im not the one who posts 8573897483274 a day and engages in banter with trolls. only you can explain that one. for that im laughing.

keep it up. im enjoying this.

That's a first. Can i go down in history as the first MTFer who got a troll to admit to being a troll.

Escude, Glenn, Adee where are you

Give me my plaque.

And like I said before, I do question my own sanity when engaging with some of the tards on this board. But that's an issue i'm working through. With loads of support and therapy

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Sondra, did you actually even read the article?

Nope only speak ingles. I count on my fellow posters to translate for me

shotgun
03-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Well, don't you think Berdych handled the tough Madrid crowd against Nadal very well? In fact, he was under pressure the whole time and played an almost faultless match. The difference is that he was expecting to face tough crowd opposition against Nadal, but probably not that much against Gonzalez. So the crowd posture in the Gonzalez match most likely scared him (not to mention it was much worse than the crowd on Friday).

Indeed it is. It's been a while since there were two high profile players that has as much needle between them as these two.

Nalbandian-Hewitt. ;)

Laughable.

:confused:

And your point is?

talk trasher... :sad:

i'd like to see berdman playing in SA

Yeah, me too. I'd like to see him live again, I really like to watch him play. :)

If I'm not mistaken, he had a mini-confrontation by the much loved Tursonov.

Source?

I was at this f*****g match in Madrid as it happened. Everbody saw what Berdych was doing. He asked US to shut up and stop cheering for our
countryman.

Nonsense, he made the gesture after the match was over, and it would be no use to keep cheering for Nadal as he had already lost the match. ;)

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Nope only speak ingles. I county on my fellow posters to translate for me

In the article it says and I quote:

They do not understand tennis, They do not know how a fan should behave in a stadium. Perhaps they only know about soccer and fighting or how they call it bull fighting.

"Ellos no entienden el tenis, no entienden lo que un aficionado debe hacer en un estadio. Quizás sólo sepan de fútbol y de corridas, o como le digan, de corridas de toros",

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Look it's fine to be an ass during a match. That's what he was, It's fine to be an ass for you home town player that's what fans do. But Berdie is obliviously the one here still having issue with it. He needs to get a back bone

Clara Bow
03-01-2007, 01:16 AM
:haha: okay. he is one of your boys. sure, but then again you were on the ropes as far as berdych is concerned and perhaps he tipped you over when he acted immaturely in spain. if im understanding you correctly, you did imply that being an anti-fan with regards to berdych means you will cheer against him in the future-hence your dislike for berdych. if this wasnt your intention. fine.:)

Ouch- excuse me- I just bumped my head while treading on the slippery slope of my hypocrisy. Very easy to do here. ;)

Because of these comments- I would get some giggles if he played in Spain against a Spaniard and lost. And it would frankly be a one and done. After I got my hahas out- it would be penance enough from Birdy. As for playing outside of Spain- I don't really care that much if he wins or loses. If he deserves to win so- be it. And like I said- after further thought on this matter- I would love to see him play in Spain against Almagro. Tomas would antagonize the crowd, Nico would be in love with himself and making faces- it could be very entertaining. :hearts:

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Look it's fine to be an ass during a match. That's what he was, It's fine to be an ass for you home town player that's what fans do. But Berdie is obliviously the one here still having issue with it. He needs to get a back bone

But how do we know he's really still having an issue with it? Maybe he was prompted by a reporter, if he even said those things, which has become somewhat doubtful since no one can find a transcript of the supposed transgression.

La Zingara
03-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Nonsense, he made the gesture after the match was over, and it would be no use to keep cheering for Nadal as he had already lost the match. ;)

The one with "nonsense" is Berdych, not me.

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 01:18 AM
In the article it says and I quote:

Wait is that suppose to be helping his case. So he knows every single spainard and their individual level of knowledge of tennis. O.k so you don't feel that they acted appropriate at the match, do you know how many tennis fans don't act appropriate at a tennis matchs. Including dear ol wimby. So now all spainard are ignorant about the way to behave at a tennis match. Look Amercans are more ignorant about tennis than the spanish, we have our good time, we have our bad times. I'm sure not every player has had a peachy cream experience in America. But I bet they won't be going out on a limb and making that comment about America. And to say that well I guess they only know about....blah....this is how long after the incident, bitter much birdie

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Wait is that suppose to be helping his case. So he knows every single spainard and their individual level of knowledge of tennis. O.k so you don't feel that they acted appropriate at the match, do you know how many tennis fans don't act appropriate at a tennis matchs. Including dear ol wimby. So now all spainard are ignorant about the way to behave at a tennis match. Look Amercans are more ignorant about tennis than the spanish, we have our good time, we have our bad times. I'm sure not every player has had a peachy cream experience in America. But I bet they won't be going out on a limb and making that comment about America. And to say that well I guess they only know about....blah....this is how long after the incident, bitter much birdie

So if a couple of thousand Spanish people were booing at your ass like they had just finished watching Gigli for the 100th time you wouldn't make a logical rationalization that most Spaniards are ill behaved at tennis tournaments? And knew little to naught about the sport?

do you know how many tennis fans don't act appropriate at a tennis matchs. Including dear ol wimby.

Don't I know it ;)

So now all spainard are ignorant about the way to behave at a tennis match. Look Amercans are more ignorant about tennis than the spanish, we have our good time, we have our bad times. I'm sure not every player has had a peachy cream experience in America. But I bet they won't be going out on a limb and making that comment about America.

Well Duh, we have way more people than Spain does :p

lau
03-01-2007, 01:26 AM
But how do we know he's really still having an issue with it? Maybe he was prompted by a reporter, if he even said those things, which has become somewhat doubtful since no one can find a transcript of the supposed transgression.

I doubt DPA made the quote up. It would be nice to know the context and the quote in English, though.

alelysafina
03-01-2007, 01:29 AM
I doubt DPA made the quote up. It would be nice to know the context and the quote in English, though.

Yeah, it would definately clear some things up :)

Clara Bow
03-01-2007, 01:40 AM
So now all spainard are ignorant about the way to behave at a tennis match. Look Amercans are more ignorant about tennis than the spanish, we have our good time, we have our bad times. I'm sure not every player has had a peachy cream experience in America. But I bet they won't be going out on a limb and making that comment about America

You are touching on a good point here. In other tournaments- there is bad behavior, and yet the players try to refrain from calling a whole country out. I don't think it is good policy. I didn't think it was good policy when after the infamous Grosjean match Nadal stupidly said "They would never act like that in Spain." and I don't think it is good policy here. Nadal has imo paid his penance for the statement- but Tomas is fresh out of the gates. :p

ll, don't you think Berdych handled the tough Madrid crowd against Nadal very well? In fact, he was under pressure the whole time and played an almost faultless match. The difference is that he was expecting to face tough crowd opposition against Nadal, but probably not that much against Gonzalez. So the crowd posture in the Gonzalez match most likely scared him (not to mention it was much worse than the crowd on Friday).

See- this is where I think Tomas is being frankly stupid. He know that he has antagonized the crowd before (even if it was after a match where he handled himself well until the final point) and has not enjoyed the result- so he wants to do it further? Hopefully, he will learn as he matures.

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 01:43 AM

That won't be happening anytime soon.

Merton
03-01-2007, 02:14 AM
This is something that one needs to see the entire context to comment on. For sure it will be interesting to see the follow up- even if everybody has forgotten by the time Tomas plays in Spain again, the Spanish press will be there to remind everybody.

GlennMirnyi
03-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Berych needs to crawl back into that hole he came from.

So bitter. :lol:

HAHAHAHA

Smart guys this berdych is. Hit the nail on the head once again.

This Berdych is good.

Yeah, we all saw the manliness of Nadal in Madrid last year. Instead of doing something, called him "stupid" and a "bad person". What a stud.

It was really sad.

:haha: :haha:

It's so funny to read all the bitterness.

- Booed him heavily when he entered the court.
- Booed him during the whole warm-up, whenever he would hit a ball.
- Cheered heavily every time he made an error, including faults and double faults.
- Booed him heavily when he made use of the hawk-eye system, three or four times.
- Booed him heavily when he left the court.

And of course, not to mention they were cheering heavily for his opponent, as if they were playing a Davis Cup match in Chile.

A ridiculous display that only proves what Berdych says.

No.

Right on.

:haha: So true. Their national team sucks huge time.

VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS! :haha:

Laughable.

Great point. You should be an attorney.

Great.

Berdych is a male Sharapova with about 25% of her fighting quality.

You're so bitter. Are you still upset Berdych owns the moonballer? Sharapova fighting ability is pure hype and all fake.

Hi Mr Beast... :hatoff:

You're blog is unbelievable.

I have 3 questions for you :singer:

Q1 : Do you find it clever bashing world n#2 publicly by saying that Spaniards are only good at corridas & football ? :cuckoo:

Q2 : Are you big-headed because your only record is to have beaten Rafa a couple of times ? (How many tournaments did you win til now ?! I forgot them all...) :angel:

Q3 : Be careful not to cross my way again, I'll be back in Madrid in the mad crowd, you know, the one that whistled so well and made you cry... :nerner:

Thanx for answering...

A Bull & Football Fan

:haha: He must be so afraid of you. :lol:

Wowowow.

One moment.

countryman.

What I don't accept is the way he did it and the way he tried to explain it. Just ridiculous.

I was proud to be part of this crowd and took it as a personal attack.

Feña had no other choice the following day than to beat him. He deserved his victory, no doubt about it. He was the first surprised how much the crowd was on his side and thanked us for that.

Berdych just can't forget the whole story and doesn't like Rafa. That's all I see. He doesn't know the meaning of fair-play.

You don't have to accept it. If you were there, you were only one more of the guys he shut up. :haha:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

THIS BERDYCH IS GOOD!

zicofirol
03-01-2007, 06:23 AM
people cry over the lack of fire in tennis players today, then Berdych shows a little bit and everyone starts bitching, please if the fans are going to dish it out dont cry when he shooshes you, the spaniards overreacted in the first place, now they just dont let the issue go, they are just a bunch of pussies thats all, let it go, stop crying over it...

CooCooCachoo
03-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Tomas :rocker:

DrJules
03-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Actually Wimbledon is mostly filled with individuals who obtain their tickets through their tennis clubs.

They are more interested in the tennis than this patriotic/nationalistic fevour that seems rampant in other countries.

La Zingara
03-01-2007, 09:51 AM

You don't have to accept it. If you were there, you were only one more of the guys he shut up. :haha:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I didn't find this episode very funny at all. Pretty much annoying and disrespectful. This guy is nothing anymore for more. I don't like players who can not be fair on the court. He probably thought that he would be the King of the Day. :devil:

adee-gee
03-01-2007, 10:18 AM
:lol: shutup Berdych. Just concentrate on actually getting into the Madrid TMS, the way you're playing you might need to qualify :retard:

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 10:23 AM
This thread has seen 2 classic MTF Laws.

3. Speculation can be treated as fact, as can fact be considered speculation

15. EVERYTHING gets blown out of proportion. An example is whenever a player gives an interview or says some little Mickey Mouse controversial comment, expect someone to say something about speaking OUT LOUD. And any quote made by a player disliked by any particular poster can, will and must be taken out of context as a means of bashing the player in question. This will result in pages of arguments where half the posters have actually read or listened to the particular quote and the other half are making assumptions. (Stebs' Addendum)

kronus12
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
bah you rafatards are a bunch of loser, so what if nadal has more tournaments win then berdych...come to think of it when was the last time rafal won or got in a final?
Yeah shutup just crying because Berdych own that moonballer he can talk the talk and i remember it was Berdych who ask rafal what he said but the moonballer was too chicken to repeat his words after Berdych handed him another asswhipping.
Geez good on him for telling it straight what he thinks of the spanish a bunch of sooks when there moonballer is losing, bunch of sore losers too.

oz_boz
03-01-2007, 10:33 AM
These are the only sensible comments in this thread. And thanks to alelysafina for translating the quote.

It's hilarious how quick people are to make a judgment call on a throwaway statement that is offered up by just ONE media source - a biased media source, at that - without any context or an actual transcript. Without knowing the actual context, Berdych could have been hurling angry invective or he could have been speaking lightly, and none of us know for sure. But hey, let's all jump on his ass anyway before we get more information, 'cause that's the MTF thing to do. I have to hand it to the journos for eliciting exactly the type of reaction they were hoping to get.

Well said.

people cry over the lack of fire in tennis players today, then Berdych shows a little bit and everyone starts bitching, please if the fans are going to dish it out dont cry when he shooshes you, the spaniards overreacted in the first place, now they just dont let the issue go, they are just a bunch of pussies thats all, let it go, stop crying over it...

Well said too. Everyone complaining about Federer being a dull personality should thank Berdych for bringing some needle to tennis. :lol:

Personally I think Berdych seems a bit immature and not doing what's expected of an elite player. But I like his game when it's on.

User id 7816
03-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Berdych - :cuckoo:

TMS Madrid crowd - :cuckoo:

Neutrals - :lol:

Kalliopeia
03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Regardless of how the comment was intended (though I tend to think the worst of that guy...he's not given me much reason to think otherwise), he's going to be crucified the next time he's in Spain. And he thought they hated him before. Berdych isn't terribly bright, is he?

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
bah you rafatards are a bunch of loser, so what if nadal has more tournaments win then berdych...come to think of it when was the last time rafal won or got in a final?
Yeah shutup just crying because Berdych own that moonballer he can talk the talk and i remember it was Berdych who ask rafal what he said but the moonballer was too chicken to repeat his words after Berdych handed him another asswhipping.
Geez good on him for telling it straight what he thinks of the spanish a bunch of sooks when there moonballer is losing, bunch of sore losers too.

Um yeah that's a wide collection of incoherent thoughts, smashed together for ya.

Any hoo, fans don't need to shut up. That's what being a fan is about. So what, the fans got on his case for beating their hometown player, so he reacted like an ass. Now the crowd hates him more, the only true pussy here is Berdman. In fact most tennis players are pussies. They come out on court and expect the crowd to be fair and dish out the compliments all equal and blah. Whatever, If I'm in the crowd I'm silent every point you make and acting an ass every point my player makes.

If you don't like it tough titties, go suck on a pacifier . We hate the steelers in Cleveland. The team we have the biggest rivalry with. They kick our asses every time we play them, so how exactly is it called a rivalry, couldn't tell ya, but we hate them. As much for their arrogant "we kick your asses every time we play you" attitudes as for the fact that they kick our asses every time we play them. But none the less we show them the utmost hospitality every time they come to Cleveland, and their fans, those humble F***ers, we just love em.

So Berdie doesn't like them, they don't like berdy. I'm sure they will let him know it every time he steps on Spanish soil.

And i'm also sure the asshole in him won't let them forget why they hate him so much either.

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Um yeah that's a wide collection of coherent thoughts, smashed together for ya.

Any hoo, fans don't need to shut up. That's what being a fan is about. So what, the fans got on his case for beating their hometown player, so he reacted like an ass. Now the crowd hates him more, the only true pussy here is Berdman. In fact most tennis players are pussies. They come out on court and expect the crowd to be fair and dish out the compliments all equal and blah. Whatever, If I'm in the crowd I'm silent every point you make and acting an ass every point my player makes.

If you don't like it tough titties, go suck on a pacifier . We hate the steelers in Cleveland. The team we have the biggest rivalry with. They kick our asses every time we play them, so how exactly is it called a rivalry, couldn't tell ya, but we hate them. As much for their arrogant "we kick your asses every time we play you" attitudes as for the fact that they kick our asses every time we play them. But none the less we show them the utmost hospitality every time they come to Cleveland, and their fans, those humble F***ers, we just love em.

So Berdie doesn't like them, they don't like berdy. I'm sure they will let him know it every time he steps on Spanish soil.

And i'm also sure the asshole in him won't let them forget why they hate him so much either.

If Berdych was one of those players who enjoy playing against an hostile crowd, I could understand his provocation. However, the fact is he was a shadow of himself when he played Gonzalez.
And for those who think this kind of comments are fun and better for tennis, the same could be said with respect to cheerful crowds like the Spanish, in contrast with other dull crowds.

sondraj06
03-01-2007, 11:25 AM
If Berdych was one of those players who enjoy playing against an hostile crowd, I could understand his provocation. However, the fact is he was a shadow of himself when he played Gonzalez.
And for those who think this kind of comments are fun and better for tennis, the same could be said with respect to cheerful crowds like the Spanish, in contrast with other dull crowds.

No, I agree 100%. I don't like what he said, but at the end of the day, he is the one that has to deal with the hostile crowds. I think fans will be fans. And assholes will be asshole. I'm sure clevelanders are more than assholes when the steelers, steele the game away from us, every time we play them. And they make no effort to comfort the Cleveland fan base, so it just give us more fuel for the fire.

cmurray
03-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Actually Wimbledon is mostly filled with individuals who obtain their tickets through their tennis clubs.

They are more interested in the tennis than this patriotic/nationalistic fevour that seems rampant in other countries.

I stand corrected. It was merely from personal observation that I made that remark...it seems like the people who we see on camera (i.e. the people with the best seats) are barely paying attention to the match. Still, I've seen shots of the people on the grounds watching Murray and Henman matches - and you can bet that they'd be doing the same thing the French do if they had seats for centre court. In other words, the English aren't exempt from this "nationalistic fervour" any more than anyone else.

That being said, I do NOT enjoy watching ANYONE get booed for doing nothing more than being a better player. I remember that time that Serena lost that match to Justine at the French because the crowd was behaving as though they were a pack of jackals. Until the Berdych match, I've never seen anything quite like it. No excuse for it.

cobalt60
03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
These are the only sensible comments in this thread. And thanks to alelysafina for translating the quote.

It's hilarious how quick people are to make a judgment call on a throwaway statement that is offered up by just ONE media source - a biased media source, at that - without any context or an actual transcript. Without knowing the actual context, Berdych could have been hurling angry invective or he could have been speaking lightly, and none of us know for sure. But hey, let's all jump on his ass anyway before we get more information, 'cause that's the MTF thing to do. I have to hand it to the journos for eliciting exactly the type of reaction they were hoping to get.

This thread has seen 2 classic MTF Laws.

3. Speculation can be treated as fact, as can fact be considered speculation

15. EVERYTHING gets blown out of proportion. An example is whenever a player gives an interview or says some little Mickey Mouse controversial comment, expect someone to say something about speaking OUT LOUD. And any quote made by a player disliked by any particular poster can, will and must be taken out of context as a means of bashing the player in question. This will result in pages of arguments where half the posters have actually read or listened to the particular quote and the other half are making assumptions. (Stebs' Addendum)

The other law you forgot was that rational comments don't always get read:sad:

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
The other law you forgot was that rational comments don't always get read:sad:

Why be sad about it? It's a fact of life and zicoforol made a valid point. People whine cause Federer is too nice and boring. Berdych makes some comment and of course the whole context leading up to these comments hasn't been documented and I would love to see the whole interview.

As for Berdych he can say what he wants, but just be prepared to deal with the consequences.

lau
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
It´s a stupid thing to say in front of journalist anyway :lol: He should know better (if he actually said it, which I think so)..., or maybe he just don´t care. :lol:

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:32 PM
It´s a stupid thing to say in front of journalist anyway :lol: He should know better (if he actually said it, which I think so)..., or maybe he just don´t care. :lol:

Well like I said, make the statements that's fine, just have to deliver.

cobalt60
03-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Why be sad about it? It's a fact of life and zicoforol made a valid point. People whine cause Federer is too nice and boring. Berdych makes some comment and of course the whole context leading up to these comments hasn't been documented and I would love to see the whole interview.

As for Berdych he can say what he wants, but just be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Who's sad? It was meant to be cynical.

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Who's sad? It was meant to be cynical.

Cynicism on MTF, that doesn't happen.

cmurray
03-01-2007, 12:45 PM

Two very good points. People complain about tennis being bland and then complain when we get somebody who makes waves. As for context, well...people don't worry about that. It's like when Murray makes those off-the-cuff sarcastic comments and people run with them. "Did you hear THAT???? Andy Murray HATES English football players! I heard him say it!"

If *I* were Berdych, I would stay away from talking about Spain and its tennis fans completely. It wouldn't be worth stirring the pot. But I'm NOT Berdych. I can certainly understand why he's angry about it. That match against Gonazalez was....painful.

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Two very good points. People complain about tennis being bland and then complain when we get somebody who makes waves. As for context, well...people don't worry about that. It's like when Murray makes those off-the-cuff sarcastic comments and people run with them. "Did you hear THAT???? Andy Murray HATES English football players! I heard him say it!"

If *I* were Berdych, I would stay away from talking about Spain and its tennis fans completely. It wouldn't be worth stirring the pot. But I'm NOT Berdych. I can certainly understand why he's angry about it. That match against Gonazalez was....painful.

These are just normal points. Thing is people always need something to bitch and whine about. As for Murray, well that reaction was just hysterically funny in the wrong way.

As for Berdych, nothing wrong with goading them, but the best way to shut people like that up is go out and there win matches which will piss them off even more. All this does is sell papers and get hilarious overreactions.

cmurray
03-01-2007, 01:00 PM
These are just normal points. Thing is people always need something to bitch and whine about. As for Murray, well that reaction was just hysterically funny in the wrong way.

As for Berdych, nothing wrong with goading them, but the best way to shut people like that up is go out and there win matches which will piss them off even more. All this does is sell papers and get hilarious overreactions.

I think Murray was amused by the "scandal", even if he said he was sorry. You know he had to be thinking "what a bunch of morons".

And while it might be funny for us, I doubt Tomas is going to be laughing the next time he plays in Spain. Its a strange situation. A whole lot of stupid behavior on the parts of all involved. And as nasty as its going to be (because you just KNOW they're gonna boo), I'm finding it difficult to dredge up sympathy.

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
No point Tomas withdrawing every time there is an event in Spain.

vamosnadal
03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
IF Berdych did say those comments, then I think he may regret them a little later in the year. It's all very well giving it the talk when you're months away from the event and miles away from the country, but I'm sure he might feel a little differently when he steps onto court desperately needing to defend points and pick up some for the race and he is drowned out by boos.

The crowd at Madrid were shocking last year, (although Berdych was a bit of an arrogant idiot at the end of the Rafa match so it wasn't entirely unprovoked) but Berdych's comments are naive and very disrespectful to the country. It's just a sad situation all around really, and not great for tennis by any means.

victory1
03-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Did you guys ever think that Berdych said this stuff because he has no intention of ever playing in Spain!;) I mean, it's not like they have a slam or something!:rolleyes: A lot of top players skip the last 2 master series event; because by that time they usually nursing an injury after a long season or from the top 8 perspective, they want to rest before the Masters Cup. I don't expect Fed to play Madrid this year since he would have to play 3 weeks in a row due to his home tournament; I think this year he will play Paris since he skipped it the last 3 years.

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 02:37 PM

Well, it's a question of perspectives. I don't find Federer dull and boring but I do find some European crowds to be dull and boring (and of course it's not the Spanish people I'm talking about). I guess it's just what I'm used to culturally. In South America we have sometimes crossed the line (in Chile, with Zabaleta, in Argentina, with Massu) but the Spanish crowd was very very very far from that line.

guga2120
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
:) , that is fairly funny he would say that, but Berdych is such an idiot.

Action Jackson
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, it's a question of perspectives. I don't find Federer dull and boring but I do find some European crowds to be dull and boring (and of course it's not the Spanish people I'm talking about). I guess it's just what I'm used to culturally. In South America we have sometimes crossed the line (in Chile, with Zabaleta, in Argentina, with Massu) but the Spanish crowd was very very very far from that line.

I am not talking from a personal perspective. I am doing it from a generic one, there are quite a few fans who have a problem with Federer's manner and that's their choice. As for me, he is what he is and that's good enough.

The problem here as usual is that people want to play the blame game and it's just so easy to do that.

Julio1974
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I am not talking from a personal perspective. I am doing it from a generic one, there are quite a few fans who have a problem with Federer's manner and that's their choice. As for me, he is what he is and that's good enough.

The problem here as usual is that people want to play the blame game and it's just so easy to do that.

In my view, Berdych shouldn't have made this comment now. One thing is to do "shhhh" with his finger on the spur of the moment after the match and another thing is to attack 5 months later again the Spanish in general and portray them as ignorant concerning tennis. I may also enjoy from time to time a McEnroe type of player but only on-court.

Langers
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Tomas is a legend. :worship:

Always causing controversy. ;)

GlennMirnyi
03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I didn't find this episode very funny at all. Pretty much annoying and disrespectful. This guy is nothing anymore for more. I don't like players who can not be fair on the court. He probably thought that he would be the King of the Day. :devil:

Learn how to behave in a tennis match then. :rolleyes:

:hatoff:

I stand corrected. It was merely from personal observation that I made that remark...it seems like the people who we see on camera (i.e. the people with the best seats) are barely paying attention to the match. Still, I've seen shots of the people on the grounds watching Murray and Henman matches - and you can bet that they'd be doing the same thing the French do if they had seats for centre court. In other words, the English aren't exempt from this "nationalistic fervour" any more than anyone else.

That being said, I do NOT enjoy watching ANYONE get booed for doing nothing more than being a better player. I remember that time that Serena lost that match to Justine at the French because the crowd was behaving as though they were a pack of jackals. Until the Berdych match, I've never seen anything quite like it. No excuse for it.

You're making assumptions about Wimbledon. That crowd can actually behave in a tennis court.

:) , that is fairly funny he would say that, but Berdych is such an idiot.

So bitter.

tangerine_dream
03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
:lol: Berdych is an amateur shit-stirrer. He's got nothing on Roddick. Berdych deliberately says offensive things just to rile people up. But Roddick can say something completely harmless during matches ("Too big!") and suddenly all the MTF 'tards are quoting him in their sigs and talking about for it days :haha: A Roddick quote barely heard by five people would land in the book of tennis lexicons.

Berdych has a ways to go yet, but he shows promise. :cool:

The Pro
03-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I don't mind Berdych, although i think he adheres to some stereotypes about germans that I won't repeat. :p

I think a big talker getting his arse kicked is always fun though. I just hope Nadal beats him one day...

GlennMirnyi
03-01-2007, 04:03 PM
What Roddick has to do with this?

Berdych isn't German.

World Beater
03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
:lol: Berdych is an amateur shit-stirrer. He's got nothing on Roddick. Berdych deliberately says offensive things just to rile people up. But Roddick can say something completely harmless during matches ("Too big!") and suddenly all the MTF 'tards are quoting him in their sigs and talking about for it days :haha: A Roddick quote barely heard by five people would land in the book of tennis lexicons.

a lot of it has to with the senior posters on this board. They just despise roddick far more and if he sneezes the wrong way, you will hear about it on MTF. Roddick was brash in his young days and even though he has certainly matured on the court, many posters still begrudge him for what he DID do.

guga2120
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
a lot of it has to with the senior posters on this board. They just despise roddick far more and if he sneezes the wrong way, you will hear about it on MTF. Roddick was brash in his young days and even though he has certainly matured on the court, many posters still begrudge him for what he DID do.

i like Roddick's brashness i think his personality is very entertaining, i just can't stand the way he plays, just hit the ball as hard as you can with no thought at all.

The Pro
03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
He's also kind of a dick.

Scotso
03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Tomas :silly:

Stop being an idiot.

guille&tati4life
03-01-2007, 04:12 PM

Yes, things he DID do, like shouting and swearing at Tsonga in the Aussie Open.
What a stupid thing to say Tomas :rolleyes:

World Beater
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
i like Roddick's brashness i think his personality is very entertaining, i just can't stand the way he plays, just hit the ball as hard as you can with no thought at all.

that doesnt help either. actually the thing is maybe if roddick stopped thinking and actually did hit the ball hard from the baseline, he would get somewhere. Because other than his serve, he has lost the hard-hitter label. he's a puffy hitter

DrJules
03-01-2007, 05:57 PM

That is the difference between Berdych and Hewitt.

If Hewitt had been treated as badly as Berdych by the Spanish crowd he would would have played with a much higher performance level the next day. He would have enjoyed annoying the crowd by continuing to win.

nicole_s
03-01-2007, 06:54 PM
maybe berdych thinks that tennis isn`t popular in spain so he said that about bulls and football :scratch:

Fed=ATPTourkilla
03-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I think Berdych should just let this go but at the time he was, in my opinion, 100% right. The Spanish fans were pathetic. Tennis isn't like football where you have legitimate "home" games. Loved the "shhhh" gesture and the Spanish crowd proved themselves to be unsporting, bad losers in the next match vs. Gonzalez.

R.Federer
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
But that's only because andy is intrinsically a Dick ;) , those well thought out, pre-planned "spontaneous" outbursts that only emerge against some low ranked players not withstanding :D

El Berdy is a worthy heir but he will never give as good post match conferences as andy. NEVER I say!