Trouble gripping a tennis racquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Trouble gripping a tennis racquet

JoeyZ
02-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Everyone, I am new to Mens Tennis Forums. I am a 4.0 level player. If I have a new over grip on my racquet I can play fine (hit out on my shots and handle the pace of my opponent) but sometimes I have trouble gripping the racquet when the grip is even a day or so old...I believe that this is partially due to the fact that my palms get rather sweaty.

I also play racquetball and I was wondering if playing tennis with my racquetball glove might help me keep my grip.

Please let me know if anyone has had trouble gripping a racquet and what you did to fix the problem...also has anyone ever tried using a racquetball glove and if it worked?? Thanks everyone!

JoeyZ

tennisplayer89
03-03-2007, 02:04 PM
First, I use Tourna grip. I think it handles sweat fairly well. Also, try wearing some wristbands. You would be surprised how much sweat runs down your arms and onto your grip.

HKz
03-04-2007, 12:20 AM
I used to have the same problem when I started tennis. What kind of overgrip do you use? The cheap black/rubber/design ones or whatever are terrible, so if you're using something like that, you should quit getting those. All I really did was grip the racket as hard as I could, and after a while I started gaining more strength in gripping the racket and later on it felt like I was like holding the racket lightly (although my hand is full of rips and tears). Plus these days I'm using leathergrips and this new kind of expensive wrap around overgrip which work quite well. (Leather has decent grip and it tears up your hand but you can only get leather if your racket comes with it originally *new ones don't really have*)

JoeyZ
03-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Hi HKz,

I use a pretty good overgrip...the Wilson pro overgrip that Federer uses. Its the best one I've ever played with. The racquet I use, the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe actually does have a leather grip on it. I played early this morning and played very aggressively without worrying about my grip.

You mentioned that "These days you are using a new kind of expensive wrap around overgrip that works quite well." Can you please tell me who makes it/where it can be purchased...thanks!

Tennisplayer89,

Thanks for the tip...I will definitely try playing with a wristband!

tennisismygame
03-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I also use a wrap-around grip. I just bought it recently at Wal-Mart for about $2.50 and it works just fine. You don't really always need a fancy grip. Sometimes the cheapest, simplest grips work just fine.

sarciness
03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the sweatband advice, I'll give it a go (I'm somewhat skeptical, but it can't hurt!)

Anyhow, I found that leather grips are great when dry, but AWFUL if you have sweaty palms. My Wilson Rok kept slipping with its original leather grip (I shattered my first ROK when it slipped out of my hand when serving), but now with a nice RAB grip, it holds fine.

edit: I can hold it fine, but I have to wipe my racquet and hand around once per game.

Rajesh
03-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Buddy,

It could also be a mental thing. May be you are thinking a bit too much about the grip and consequently trying to grip it tighter. Gripping very tight is as bad as gripping the raquet very lightly. And may be because of that you unknowingly squeaze your palm and feel the sweat.

Just try not to think about your grip ..... take the raquet in your hand and hold it as it comes naturally to you and try hitting balls concentrating on keeping the ball in rather than thinking how often you may have to wipe your hands. And even if you have to wipe your hands often just do it as a routine ..... not all are same and some tend to do things more often. Ultimately it's all about keeping the ball in, ain't it ? Keep it simple and just enjoy hitting the ball....

HKz
03-08-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi HKz,

I use a pretty good overgrip...the Wilson pro overgrip that Federer uses. Its the best one I've ever played with. The racquet I use, the Dunlop Maxply McEnroe actually does have a leather grip on it. I played early this morning and played very aggressively without worrying about my grip.

You mentioned that "These days you are using a new kind of expensive wrap around overgrip that works quite well." Can you please tell me who makes it/where it can be purchased...thanks!

Tennisplayer89,

Thanks for the tip...I will definitely try playing with a wristband!

Um, I'll look into it. I didn't actually buy the overgrip. The person who strings my rackets personally knew I rip those cheap overgrips (like the one Federer uses) like in one set, so he put those on for me. All I know is, that it is made by Wilson, and has a flashy red color (which I've never seen).

I used to buy those white (I think white is the only color) Wilson ones, the one Fed uses. But they wore down so quickly, I had to replace them so often which was a enormous waste of money.