Rafa in Dubai [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa in Dubai

Rafas_grl
02-24-2007, 09:49 AM
He is defending his title and of course mister Roger Federer will be back for a rematch :D

its starts on Monday and hopefully with a good draw!

Invisible
02-24-2007, 03:47 PM
He surely didn't get lucky with the draw....Rafa plays against Baghdatis in the first round, with a possible match against either Youzhny or Berdych in the Quarters. I hope Rafa is fully healthy and fit to play cause it's gonna be tough. I wish him the best of luck though, I really can't wait to see him with a trophy again.

And by the way....hello everyone, I've just started posting on the board though I've been reading it for quite awhile.

Lopaka
02-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Talk about the luck of the draw. Rafa sure did not get any with this one in Dubai. Three players who have beaten him all in his quarter. Andreeve, Berdych, Youzhny not to mention his first match being with Baghdatis. Darn Rafa I sure hope you get some luck when play starts.

NicoFan
02-24-2007, 05:16 PM
:bigcry:

Here's the full draw for everyone to see:

R Federer (1) v Pless
QF v Braccialli
QF v QF
Vliegen v Djokovic (7)

Davydenko (3) v QF
Lee v O Rochus
Serra v Bjorkman
Stepanek(wc) v Haas(5)

Ferrer (8) v Soderling
Bahrouzyan (wc) v Hrbaty
Kohlschreiber v Simon
Santoro v Robredo (4)

Berdych (6) v Al Ghareeb (wc)
Youzhny v Nieminen
Andreev v Gicquel
Baghdatis v Nadal (2)

guga2120
02-24-2007, 06:37 PM
thinking about him beating Federer again, i just hope he gets to the semis w/ that draw.

Sunset of Age
02-24-2007, 11:54 PM
He surely has a harsh draw!

But look on it at the positive side: anyone will acknowledge this draw ain't easy. Let's hope for him to make the final, that would be the best confidence-boost he could possibly get.

sondraj06
02-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Does anybody know if it will be shown on american televsion. please i only have a couple more days to order it if they are...help

nevermind
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/nevermind06/Dubai/RafastartDubai.jpg

Stage Set for Dubai Duty Free Men's Open

But many eyes will be on top seeds Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

Nadal last year claimed a stunning three-set victory over the world number one and defending champion in a pulsating final, and went on to defeat Federer again in Monte Carlo, Rome and in the Roland Garros final.

Federer then halted Nadal’s run by holding off his challenge in the Wimbledon final and then beating him again in the semi-finals of the Masters Cup in Shanghai. Now the stage is set for their enthralling rivalry to continue at a tournament Federer describes as one of the best in the world.

Nadal went away delighted not only with his victory, but the reception he received wherever he went.

“The public was unbelievable with me,” said the Spanish teenager. “Every day the court was full when I played and they supported me a lot and I want to say thank you very much to everybody.

“I already had good memories of Dubai from the last time I was here, and I love it. It’s one of my favourite tournaments. It’s a special place, a city built in the desert. In a few years, if not already, it will be one of the biggest tourist attractions in the world.”

Although Federer and Nadal are fierce rivals, they are also friends and hold great respect for each other.

“I think he’s a very good person,” said Nadal. “He’s a normal person and that’s not easy when you are a very big star. I think he’s the best sportsman in the world, the best in history.”

While Federer and Nadal headline the 15th staging of the Dubai Duty Free Men’s Open, they are certain to face stiff competition from talented opponents such as world number three Nikolay Davydenko, recent Zagreb champion Marcos Baghdatis, Adelaide winner Novak Djokovic, German number one Tommy Haas and amiable Spaniard Tommy Robredo.

“Once again we are delighted to be able to welcome so many of the world’s best players to Dubai,” said Colm McLoughlin, Managing Director of tournament organisers Dubai Duty Free. “Federer and Nadal have captured the imagination of the whole world with their fierce rivalry, but their success is by no means guaranteed with exciting young players such as Baghdatis and Djokovic to compete against.”

The Dubai Tennis Championships is owned and organised by Dubai Duty Free and takes place under the patronage of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai.:)

& Rafa enjoying his time :

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/nevermind06/Dubai/Rafastart2.jpg

Nadal Enjoys a Splashing Good Time Prior to Dubai Tennis Championships
Dubai, UAE, February 25th, 2007: Defending champion Rafael Nadal took time out from his preparation for the Dubai Tennis Championships to satisfy his adventurous spirit at Wild Wadi, Dubai’s premier water park.

Displaying plenty of youthful enthusiasm, the 20-year-old Nadal eagerly made his way through the family-filled, Arabian-themed oasis located in the shadows of the Burj Al Arab. He enjoyed a couple of thrilling spins on an uphill water roller coaster, and relaxed on a raft as he drifted along the never-ending loop around the park.

Nadal also braved the view from the top of the Jumeirah Sceirah – the tallest and fastest free-fall speed slide outside of North America at 33 metres high – but elected to bypass the long plunge down the chute on the eve of the championships.

“It’s very nice,” said Nadal. “The weather is perfect and this is a very fun place for the kids – and for me, too.”

He added: “Dubai is improved every year. Every year I see something different so it’s a very nice place to be.”

The Spaniard, who returns for his third appearance at the $1.5 million Dubai Duty Free Men’s Open, also expressed his fondness of the tournament: “The tournament is one of the nicest tournaments in the system for sure. Especially being in this hotel and the club has very good facilities. The organization is very good and I have good memories of last year when I won. It’s very nice.”

Following his morning of relaxation at Wild Wadi, Nadal returned to the tennis court to resume his preparation for a tough opening round match against another of the ATP’s brightest young stars, Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis.

The talented 32-player field also includes such opponents as three-time champion Roger Federer, world number three Nikolay Davydenko, Adelaide winner Novak Djokovic, German number one Tommy Haas and the amiable Spaniard Tommy Robredo.

“It’s going to be a very good tournament,” Nadal said. “It’s very tough because the best players in the world play here.”
:)

NicoFan
02-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Sondra - unfortunately I don't think there is any TV for the US - I know TTC doesn't have it. We'll have to hope for live streaming....but I'm not holding my breath there either. :sad:

rafagirlno1
02-25-2007, 02:26 PM
hi everyone ,

i love rafa and hope wins dubai !!!
he is really unfit nowdays so hope and pray he fit for winning roland garros and other events .
he is my favorite idol and i love him very much

vamos rafa !!

leena

Sunset of Age
02-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks a lot for posting those articles, Nevermind.

Although Federer and Nadal are fierce rivals, they are also friends and hold great respect for each other.

“I think he’s a very good person,” said Nadal. “He’s a normal person and that’s not easy when you are a very big star. I think he’s the best sportsman in the world, the best in history.”

Lovely.

sondraj06
02-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Sondra - unfortunately I don't think there is any TV for the US - I know TTC doesn't have it. We'll have to hope for live streaming....but I'm not holding my breath there either. :sad:

Yeah, Nico what's up with your country i mean my goodness.. talk to you American providers, this is just getting outrageous now :wavey:

NicoFan
02-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Nico what's up with your country i mean my goodness.. talk to you American providers, this is just getting outrageous now :wavey:

No one watches it here. :shrug: No ratings, no TV. What's odd is that tennis is always popular to play and the tournaments get great attendence. So the people that play go to see the tournaments in person. But they refuse to turn it on when it's on TV. I just don't get it. :sad:

Johnny Groove
02-25-2007, 04:28 PM
No one watches it here. :shrug: No ratings, no TV. What's odd is that tennis is always popular to play and the tournaments get great attendence. So the people that play go to see the tournaments in person. But they refuse to turn it on when it's on TV. I just don't get it. :sad:

i dont have TTC and i live in South Fucking Florida :o (which by the way has a very nice weather today, around 76 with a light breeze) :p

sondraj06
02-25-2007, 05:26 PM
And to my knowledge there won't be any live streaming for the U.S. ahhh this isn't good for my nerves.

Alexandy
02-25-2007, 05:43 PM
He surely has a harsh draw!

But look on it at the positive side: anyone will acknowledge this draw ain't easy. Let's hope for him to make the final, that would be the best confidence-boost he could possibly get.

I hope so. This could be great for Rafa. I'm not even worried about him playing Fed. I'm more worried about the Youzh and Berdych. That being said...vamos, Rafa. He can do it.

MariaV
02-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Horror draw, just wanted to wish Rafa BUENA SUERTE! :bigclap: :bounce: :yippee:

mallorn
02-25-2007, 08:27 PM
From Gulf News:
Published: 26/02/2007 12:00 AM (UAE)

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/1198/00726spoffcourt4bi1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Karl Jeffs/Gulf News
Rafael Nadal addresses the press conference a day before the men's event.

'Off court, we are good friends'

By Alaric Gomes, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Spanish sensation and defending champion at the Dubai Duty Free Men's Open, Rafael Nadal has predicted the downfall of Roger Federer.

"There is a whole pool of young players coming through and all of them are capable of displacing Federer at the top," Nadal told mediapersons a day before the start of the men's event.

At only 20, Nadal has shown maturity beyond his years to be one of the few players to defeat the otherwise invincible Federer. "There are youngsters like [Tomas] Berdych, [Richard] Gasquet, [Novak] Djokovic and [Marcos] Baghdatis - who are all capable of beating any of the top players," Nadal said.

"And he is going to have more rivals and players trying to take his place up there," the Spaniard stated.

Nadal also fancies his chances at climbing one step higher on the rankings. "I am happy to be the number two player for two years now. But I need to improve if I want to give myself a better chance and be at the top," Nadal said.

Knowing his drawbacks and weaknesses, Nadal stated that there are certain aspects of the game where he can do better. "I can work on my serve and volley or on my forehand winner or the backhand. There is scope left for improving," Nadal observed.

"I am always working hard to take my chance to get past Federer," said Nadal.

Nadal and Federer have played each other nine times and the Spaniard is currently ahead at 6-3. However, Federer has the psychological edge as he has won the last two times the two have clashed in one of the most engrossing rivalries in men's tennis today.

Three-set win

They faced each other six times last year alone, and it is Nadal who is ahead 4-2 - starting with his incredible three-set win in the final here.

But since then, Federer has got his revenge, waging a four-set battle against the gritty Spaniard at the Wimbledon final and then defeating him in straight sets at the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

"There have always been rivalries between players over the years. There was Connors versus Borg, Sampras versus Agassi and now it's between the two of us. But nothing has changed in my life and we are good friends off the court," Nadal smiled.

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Tennis/10107056.html

Eden
02-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Rafa aims to make his Marc

RAFAEL NADAL feels no added pressure going into this week’s tournament as defending champion – but admits draws don’t come much harder. That’s because the Spaniard - who stunned world No.1 Roger Federer last year’s final - must face dark horse Marcos Baghdatis in tie of the first round. And although the 20-year-old has beaten the Cypriot star in their two previous meetings, he knows what a tough test he will provide on centre court tomorrow night.
Nadal, who beat Baghdatis at Wimbledon and at Indian Wells said: “Yeah, that will be a difficult match. “In Wimbledon, I played one of my best ever matches and I know I’ll be playing a very tough match. “But there is always the same pressure – you want to play good tennis and be up at the top of the world. “The pressure is the same but it is nice to come back here as champion – I want to come back here and try and find my best condition. “I know if I play well I will be No.2, or high in the rankings, and if I play bad I’ll go down. “But really it’s about Dubai and if I’m playing well I will have a good chance.”
Nadal played down any concerns over both his fitness and form going into this week’s tournament. The two-time French Open champion reached the semi-finals in Chennai, India at the start of the year before a groin injury forced him to withdraw from the International Series event in Sydney. The left-hander was fit enough to play in the Australian Open in January, the first Grand Slam of the year.
But after a gruelling five-setter against Andy Murray, he had little left in the bank and crashed out in the quarter finals, losing to eventual runner-up Fernando Gonzalez in straight sets. He said: “I wasn’t playing all that well in Chennai and then I came into the Australian Open and thought I was playing better – but that match against Murray killed me.
“I’m used to long matches but there was a lot of action and a lot of running about and energy in that one. “After the problem in Australia I had less of a physical problem, I had a fever. “I practiced too much with the fever maybe, maybe tried too hard to come back, but now I’m 100 per cent.” Federer may be lurking on the other side of the draw, but Nadal, who leads 6-3 in head-to-heads, tried to avoid any focus on the rivalry between the two this week, simply acknowledging just how good the Swiss genius is.
The likes of Baghdatis, Murray, Czech Tomas Berdych and Frenchman Ricard Gasquet form an increasingly strong new wave of young players alongside Nadal. But Federer’s own sky-high levels are improving all the time, making him a daunting figure for the game’s young guns to aim for. He said: “Federer is so good at the moment, I don’t now if he can keep getting better. “I’m happy as I’ve been No.2 for two years, but there are still things I can improve on.
“I don’t know if I’ll win this year or next year, or the years after but right now Roger is best and I’ll just keep trying.” Nadal denied that Federer’s dominance was bad for the game, adding: “It’s always the same, we always have had rivalries in the game. Sure I don’t have the best of luck playing with Roger here, but I will just keep playing.”

Source: http://www.7days.ae/en/2007/02/26/rafa-aims-to-make-his-marc.html

nevermind
02-26-2007, 06:27 AM
Some Dubai Pics :

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/nevermind06/Dubai/Dubai5.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/nevermind06/Dubai/Dubai4.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/nevermind06/Dubai/Dubai3.jpg

:wavey:

MariaV
02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Rafa playing tomorrow.

DUBAI DUTY FREE MEN'S OPEN
Tuesday, 27th February

CENTRE COURT
Not Before 7:00 PM
M Baghdatis (CYP) vs [2]R Nadal (ESP)

BUENA SUERTE CHICO! :bounce: :bigclap: :yippee:
Even if I like Marcos a lot too.

NicoFan
02-26-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm hoping that eurosport will live stream the match like they did with Fed's match today.

PoderShileno
02-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Vamos Rafa¡¡¡

cmurray
02-26-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm hoping that eurosport will live stream the match like they did with Fed's match today.

NicoFan, how do I access eurosport's livestream? I went to the website, but cannot find it. Thanks.

Xristos
02-27-2007, 01:36 AM

I hope so too.

NicoFan
02-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Total sadness - no live stream tomorrow on eurosport - looks like the next time for tennis it's the finals. :bigcry:

So unfair - they show King Fed but they don't show our Rafa. :sad:

Jerks. :mad:

NicoFan
02-27-2007, 01:56 AM
Here's the eurosport link for the schedule... :sad:

http://www.eurosport.com/mclivevideo.shtml

Xristos
02-27-2007, 04:56 AM
Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooo!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!

nevermind
02-27-2007, 06:48 AM
You can always register in this " https://www.bwin.com/
site if you don't want to follow on the livescoring & don't have it on TV ,
here you can follow the matches livestreaming on a little video screen ,
Ok it's small but the quality is good & always better than livescoring :rolleyes:
For those who didn't know this ? Maybe it's been already said somewhere

nevermind
02-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Here's the eurosport link for the schedule... :sad:

http://www.eurosport.com/mclivevideo.shtml

Thank you Nicofan for this ES link ,
I didn't know they sometimes show matches here but it's probably always Federer they give ? So let's hope Rafa wins the finals again ... ;)
I got the Doha tourney now on tv ES & from thurday on they also give Dubai ! :wavey:

Tess Gray
02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
i dont have TTC and i live in South Fucking Florida :o (which by the way has a very nice weather today, around 76 with a light breeze) :p

Yeah RUB IT IN :sad: Over here it's raining and it's cold... I want the summer to begin!!:sad:

mallorn
02-27-2007, 12:10 PM
The Eurosport livestream is working for me atm. Let's hope it'll also work for Rafa's match.

mms://event-2-all.eurosport.com/reflector:41354

(thanks to Lune on vb.com)

cmurray
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
The Eurosport livestream is working for me atm. Let's hope it'll also work for Rafa's match.

mms://event-2-all.eurosport.com/reflector:41354

(thanks to Lune on vb.com)

Thank you SO much. I'm watching Younes and Davydenko right now! :)

NicoFan
02-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeay! :bounce:

Xristos
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
I told you so.

NicoFan
02-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I see our RAFA on Eurosport live streaming! :bounce:

Xristos
02-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Dam! Looks like the stream ended.

mallorn
02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
The bwin stream is still working, you need to be registered.

https://www.bwin.com/livebets.aspx?eventID=859409&playstream=1

mallorn
02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Rafa won 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 :woohoo:

What an absolutely fugly first set though! :o He looked sooo rusty and nervous. 0 winners and 17 unforced errors. :eek: Thank goodness he got much better as the match went on. He had uncanny luck as well with two of the breaks of Marcos's serve, one off a netcord and one on a DF. Marcos was too up and down though and in the end Rafa was too strong for him.

NicoFan
02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Rafa did get better. :yeah:

I expected him to be rusty at first though - he really hasn't been playing lately.

He stepped up nicely the last two sets.

And Marcos killed himself with his serve.

mallorn
02-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Check out this video of Rafa from the official site. :)

http://www.dubaitennischampionships.com/2/videogallery/default.asp

MariaV
02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks a lot Ania, I get your i-net connection is OK now. :D
I hope to 'see' you online in the next days. :wavey:
Bien hecho Rafael! :yeah: :banana: :yippee:

mallorn
02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes it is. :yippee:

I'm sick and at home, so I'm online quite a lot quite atm. Will you be on MSN tomorrow? Rafa is playing the second night match and ES most likely isn't going to show it. :bigcry: :help:

mallorn
02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
From inside-tennis.net:
Nadal fights back to beat Baghdatis

posted Tuesday Feb 27, 2007 07:45pm by Andre Jones

The defending champion Rafael Nadal made a successful start to the defence of his Dubai Duty Free title as he fought his way past Marcos Baghdatis 3-6 6-2 6-3 in an hour and 57 minutes of delightful tennis.

Nadal, like Federer showed distinct signs of ring rustiness having not played since the Australian Open, and dropped his opening serve going long on the forehand drive.

The charismatic Cypriot, who was serving well and dominating the rallies with his forehand which he would often hit for clean winners, took the opening set in 39 minutes with a second break of the Spaniard's serve.

The breezy conditions affected Baghdatis' serve in the third game of the second set; a double fault followed by a Nadal lucky let cord which died on the Cypriot's side of the court gave the world number 2 the breakthrough he needed. A second break of the Baghdatis serve followed in the seventh game, and Nadal quickly levelled the match; serving out the set to love with a forehand winner down the line.

With the crises seemingly over, Nadal relaxed and really began to open his shoulders in the final set, pulling the Cypriot around who was playing strokes at full stretch.

Nadal broke in the third game aided by a costly double fault from Baghdatis, and having held serve throughout the deciding set, broke again to take the match on his second match point when Baghdatis netted a short forehand drive.

"The first set was very difficult because to play after 1 month without competition is difficult", said Nadal. "I was feeling not bad, but Marcos was playing with confidence, he was playing good the last few weeks; one tournament win and one final, so he was playing better than me with more confidence and more rhythm. But after that I feel better and better, and I played more aggressive especially with my forehand. Also, I was serving good, not bad."

Nadal was asked whether he was worried about playing Baghdatis who was the highest ranked player at 17 not to be seeded.

"Not much because I was practising very well. But the season is very long and the important thing is to play good and get the best performance; if I do that I will have the chance to play a good tournament. I was worried about feeling good with my tennis not Baghdatis. I know he is tough; one of the worst matches for the start of the tournament because he is one of the more difficult players."

Federer had said that it would be "fun" to see Nadal and Baghdatis go at it in the first round. Nadal, however, would have preferred not to have played the Cypriot until the quarterfinals.

"It's more fun if we play quarterfinals than first round", Nadal said. "For sure It's good for the tournament, but also it's bad because Baghdatis or me is going out in the first round."

A disappointed Baghdatis felt that the defeat was down to a lack of belief.

"I started good and played really good", Baghdatis said. "Tactically I was playing good, but then I got broken stupidly at 1-1 in the second set when I was 30-0 up. I think the problem is that I don't still believe that I can beat these guys - Rafa and Roger, that's the main problem; I see them too far from me."

Baghdatis was typically philosophical about the tough draw he had been handed.

"It was a tough draw for me and also a tough draw for him too. It's not an excuse, that's the way it is; life is tough sometimes. You just have to accept it."

Andre Jones

Dubai

http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=2476

mallorn
02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
From DPA via Playfuls:
Nadal Shakes Off A Month Of Rust In Dubai Win

Holder Rafael Nadal overcame a slow start to produce his best tennis of the year as he rallied past the high-profile challenge of Marcos Baghdatis to move into the second round of the Dubai Duty Free 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 on Tuesday.

The Spanish number 2, who stands behind Roger Federer in the seeding order this week, found his way after losing the opening set as he played for the first time since the Australian Open in January.

"After a month away, I'm pretty happy," said the two-time French Open champion who missed Davis Cup this month with a thigh injury. "The first set was tough, I had no rhythm after not having played for so long.

"But I didn't play badly. Baghdatis came in with confidence over the past few weeks (after winning Zagreb and playing the Marseille final). In the first set, he played better than me."

But the Spaniard warned: "This was my best match of the season. I'm playing more and more aggressive with my forehand. I served OK, but I'm trying to improve."

Nadal overcame 16 aces off the racket of the smiling Cypriot, who played the 2006 Australian Open final against Federer.

Nadal broke Baghdatis on three of five occasions and began the final set with an early break on his way to the win in just under two hours.

Nikolay Davydenko and Mikhail Youzhny rallied for a Russian revolution, with both also recovering to advance in comebacks.

That scenario applied to Serb seventh seed Novak Djokovic, who defeated Belgian Kristof Vliegen 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 in a battle between two men who travelled down from Europe after last week's Rotterdam event.

Rotterdam champion Youzhny and semi-finalist Davydenko were also in that group of travellers to the Gulf.

Davydenko, seeded third, beat sentimental crowd-pleaser Younes El Aynaoui, at 35, attempting yet another comeback from several seasons of injury. But the effort ended in a loss to Davydenko, 6-7 (2-7), 7-5, 7-5.

Youzhny shook off the jet-lag from a Monday evening arrival as he dropped the first set but rode the strength of first serves past Finn Jarkko Nieminen 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Davydenko is playing in Dubai for the fourth straight year, now standing 12-5 at the venue. 2002 semi-finalist El Aynaoui from Morocco was playing the tournament for a tenth year.

Unseeded Youzhny reached the Dubai semis in 2006; he earned his second win in a month over Nieminen after beating him the Zagreb second round.

Swede Robin Soderling played the longest tiebreaker of his career on the way to beating eighth seed David Ferrer, as the Spaniard was dumped out 7-6 (15-13), 6-1.

Nadal and Federer headline a blockbuster Wednesday night programme with the Spaniard facing Russia's Igor Andreev while Federer aims for the quarter-finals against Italian Daniele Bracciale.

By Bill Scott, Dpa
© 2007 DPA

http://www.playfuls.com/news_0000008189_ROUNDUP_Nadal_Shakes_Off_A_Month_O f_Rust_In_Dubai_Win.html

MariaV
02-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes it is. :yippee:

I'm sick and at home, so I'm online quite a lot quite atm. Will you be on MSN tomorrow? Rafa is playing the second night match and ES most likely isn't going to show it. :bigcry: :help:

Uhm, so the last match tomorrow? Yep, I should be home. See you on MSN! :wavey: And get well soon dear, hot tea and honey! :hug: :hug:
It will snow till Sunday here. :( I've been kinda off from watching tennis lately :o but with Rafa back I try to make an effort. ;) VAMOS!!!!! :banana: :yippee:

mallorn
02-27-2007, 07:25 PM
More like tea and an antibiotic. And I can't get rid of the damn fever. :awww:

Nevermind though, Rafa's play made me feel a bit better today. :)

Talk to you tomorrow. :wavey:

NicoFan
02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Mallorn - hope you feel better! :hug:

Johnny Groove
02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah RUB IT IN :sad: Over here it's raining and it's cold... I want the summer to begin!!:sad:

:hug:

Check out this video of Rafa from the official site. :)

http://www.dubaitennischampionships.com/2/videogallery/default.asp

very pleased with rafa's performance, as well as his wardrobe, but on an unrelated note, what on earth is stepanek wearing? a tourist hawaiian shirt? :o

sondraj06
02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Does anybody have the match for download anywhere, I know youtube wont' let you post it for long it probably will be taken off. But I can't see it on eurosport for some reason and I'm dying to see rafa play. Stupid american T.V

Denisse
02-27-2007, 11:12 PM
why would it be taken off?

sondraj06
02-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Because during AO youtube or the AO distributer some one decided that it was copyright enfringement and started removing all AO video. I don't know how anal they'll be about the Dubai championship but I guess we'll see

NicoFan
02-28-2007, 01:05 AM
That's AO - the rest of them are okay.

So if someone got it and is going to put it on youtube, it s/b okay.

I only got it on live streaming so unfortunately can't help you out.

Xristos
02-28-2007, 01:51 AM
Vamooooooooos!

yana
02-28-2007, 06:37 AM
Let's change the title of this thread into a more attractive one. Rafa in Dubai is not fit for his personality.

Xristos
02-28-2007, 06:54 AM
I agree...

Castafiore
02-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Good to read that he was standing closer to the baseline, that he was stepping in the court to return, that his forehand seemed to be working well and that he played well at the net.

Now, let's see if he can keep this up against a player who can push him out of his comfort zone more, players who tend to try and blast him away from that baseline.:) I hope so!

His Dubai outfit is just magnificent, by the way.

Xristos
02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Whats the live stream agian sorry?
Please someone post a link.

Patxy
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Congrats Rafita! :bigclap: :woohoo: :bounce:
An extremely fought match by BOTH... :worship:
Iggy... :hug:

Now let's take down this Youzhny guy... *bites nails*

mallorn
02-28-2007, 06:56 PM
What a relief that Rafa managed to pull it off. :woohoo: I thought he was out of it when he got broken in the third, the way Igor was serving. :rolleyes:

He's the second night match tomorrow.

Rest up Rafa!

yana
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Tomorrow order of play

Thursday, 29th February??(official site) (I know for sure that tomorrow is the first of March)

CENTRE COURT start 2:00 pm
R Soderling (SWE) vs F Santoro (FRA)
O Rochus (BEL) vs [5]T Haas (GER)
[1]R Federer (SUI) vs [7]N Djokovic (SRB)
M Youzhny (RUS) vs [2]R Nadal (ESP)

COURT 3 start 4:00 pm
Bhupathi/Stepanek vs Berdych/Pala
Rochus/Vliegen vs [2]Hanley/Ullyett

To be arranged
[3]Santoro/Zimonjic vs Allegro/Federer

--

Patxy
02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
What a relief that Rafa managed to pull it off. :woohoo: I thought he was out of it when he got broken in the third, the way Igor was serving. :rolleyes:!

Yes. Igor got kind of inspired in the 2nd & 3rd set, and he seemed to response the serves from the public seats practically... :rolleyes:! too away from the baseline. But Rafa was the best today :)

God I fear Youzhny... :awww:... :sobbing:... :speakles:...

mallorn
02-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Misha will be very, very tough. He's been playing great this year and is full of confidence.

This tight win against a big hitter should help Rafa's confidence but I honestly have no idea who'll come out the winner. :unsure:

Match report on inside-tennis.net (thanks SLICK!):

http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=2480

Also, from Sportinglife.com:
NADAL SQUEEZES PAST ANDREEV

Rafael Nadal had to endure a third-set tie-break before finally sealing his place in the quarter-finals of the Dubai Tennis Championships on Wednesday.

The 20-year-old Spaniard was pushed to the limit by Russian Igor Andreev, 23, who looked dangerous all the way through before eventually succumbing 6-2 3-6 7-6 (7/2).

Andreev, who was the last person to beat Nadal on clay, looked during the third set like he might repeat the feat on Dubai's hard, fast courts after breaking the world number two in the first game.

But the defending champion broke back immediately and both power-players used their fast ground strokes to good effect.

Disruptions to the match proved awkward for the Spaniard who had two Hawk Eye challenges ruled in that would have given him match point had the line call stood.

At one point a spectator collapsed after losing a lot of blood through a nose bleed and play was stopped, leaving Nadal waiting to serve in the chilly evening air for around five minutes.

The match finally finished at 11.40pm local time.

Andreev, who is ranked 139 in the world, returned to tennis in October last year, following reconstructive surgery on his knee.

And his display sent a warning to other players that he won't be in such a lowly position for long.

His highest ranking was 24 in April 2006 and Andreev, whose massive forehand was put to good use against Nadal, has three titles to his name.

"It was very, very tough," said an exhausted Nadal after two hours and 30 minutes of tennis.

"I was playing very well in the first set but he troubled me in the second. He broke me and then I was broken early in the third set too.

"But I came back in the next game. The match was very close the whole time, I was very happy to win.

"To win a tie-break third-set is very important for the confidence."

And Nadal will need all his confidence. He has had a tough draw so far in this tournament.

He faced a marauding Marcos Baghdatis in the first round, barely got the better of Andreev and next must take on the recent Rotterdam winner Mikhail Youzhny.

"I have one of the worst draws but I'm through and I am playing well so I'm happy," he added.

"I'm in the quarter-finals after two very good matches and I will try my best.

"I know Youzhny is on form after winning in Rotterdam so I will have to work hard in an important match."

http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=tennis/07/02/28/TENNIS_UAE-Dubai_Nadal.html

MariaV
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks Ania. :kiss: WHAT A MATCH! Again! :lol: That's all I can say right now! Some incredible power hitting and finally Rafa was lucky! Must be good for the confidence! :D
Wow, I should be home for the match tomorrow again! :D Hope you get better soon! :hug: :wavey:

connectolove
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Boy, I wish I had watched it!

I wish Nadal all the luck in the world, but lately he does not seem to have the tennis Gods on his side.

NicoFan
02-28-2007, 11:10 PM
He does have one of the worst draws.

I hope he kicks Youzhny's butt... :fiery: I want revenge.... :lol:

linus
03-01-2007, 06:42 AM
match is match, have no idea now. I did think Berdych guy would win yesterday but he lost in 2 :p I cant dare to believe that Rafa will win for sure, maybe it helps to the other side :aplot:

Vamos !!

Time needs Rafa to do more changes on court :angel:

nevermind
03-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Tomorrow order of play

Thursday, 29th February??(official site) (I know for sure that tomorrow is the first of March)

CENTRE COURT start 2:00 pm
R Soderling (SWE) vs F Santoro (FRA)
O Rochus (BEL) vs [5]T Haas (GER)
[1]R Federer (SUI) vs [7]N Djokovic (SRB)
M Youzhny (RUS) vs [2]R Nadal (ESP)

COURT 3 start 4:00 pm
Bhupathi/Stepanek vs Berdych/Pala
Rochus/Vliegen vs [2]Hanley/Ullyett

To be arranged
[3]Santoro/Zimonjic vs Allegro/Federer

--

This date was originally posted on the Dubai HP .
But thanks for telling , didn't notice

NicoFan
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Just for the record - I loathe and despise Youzhny. :lol:

And I'm being serious - cannot stand him. Ever since I saw him at the US Open last year. Everything about him annoys me. Completely.

mallorn
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Lol, Lynn. I get annoyed by his salute. :(

Great match though. Some of the shots Rafa played to save MPs were :eek: :hatoff:

yana
03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
And to think that today I was able to watch the whole match on Eurosport...:lol:
why couldn't be yesterday match?
This Youz guy ever get tired? He seemed fresh from the beginig till the end of the match.

BTW, how can I delete my thread? The one with Arabian nights... :p

NicoFan
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM
That salute is stupid. :rolleyes: :lol:

mallorn
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
From inside-tennis.net:
Youzhny brings Nadal Dubai reign to an end

posted Thursday Mar 01, 2007 09:16pm by Andre Jones

Defending champion Rafael Nadal was beaten today by Mikhael Youzhny 7-6(5) 6-2. In a repeat of the US Open quarterfinals last year, Youzhny dominated the rallies with his powerful drives off both wings to send the world number 2 out of the tournament.

With a break of serve being exchanged early on, Youzhny dominated the tie-break; taking it 7-5 on a Hawkeye decision which ruled a Youzhny backhand drive to be in.

The second set saw the Russian buoyed by the support of his raucous fans break the Spaniard with a powerful crosscourt forehand winner.

Having saved a match point when serving at 2-5, Nadal proceeded to save three consecutive match points on Youzhny's serve as the Russian suddenly developed an acute bout of the collywobbles. An ace up the T brought match point number 4 which Nadal saved; an identical ace produced a fifth match point which the rampaging Nadal eradicated with an incredible running forehand crooscourt pass that brought the fans to their feet. Following a service winner, Nadal faced a sixth and final match point. With an uninhibited forehand winner down the line the jubilant Russian progressed to a semi-final showdown with Robin Soderling and celebrated with his trademark military salute to all corners of the court.

"He is playing very well all the time with big confidence", Nadal said of his opponent. "He is playing unbelievable, winning Rotterdam and now semi-final here too. Maybe the best moment of his career."

Nadal felt that the Hawkeye decision that gave Youzhny the first set was incorrect.

"Last point of the first set was difficult for me; the ball was out and the challenge says it is in. Stupid rule."

Nadal didn't feel tired after his two tough opening matches and feels that his progress to the quarterfinals was satisfactory.

"I just try to play good and if I can play the final and win the tournament it is better for sure. But, well, I played the quarterfinal which is not bad; but I know I can do better. Today I lost to Youzhny who was playing very well."

Youzhny knew that he needed to bring his best tennis to the court against Nada to prevail.

"I just try to play my best tennis", Youzhny said. "I understand if I don't play my best tennis I cannot beat Rafa. I just work and enjoy this game."

Did he have a joint strategy with Igor Andreev?

"In Rotterdam (Nikolay) Davydenko played a final set tie-break with (Ivan) Ljubicic and I beat him on the last day, maybe this week also I have to say thank you to these guys. I saw a little bit of the match yesterday with Igor, and it was tough for Rafa."

Youzhny confessed to nerves when trying to close out the match.

"It was a little bit nervous beacuse I want to finish immediately. Serve and boom, serve and boom; I missed too many match points, if you want to lose to Rafa the short way, you need to play how I play match points. I played a good last game because from deuce Rafa don't have any chance. Always very good first serves; 3 aces and on one he missed. So thanks to my serve in the last game."

Youzhny will play Robin Soderling in the first semi-final, while Roger Federer takes on the in-form Tommy Haas who dispatched Olivier Rochus 6-0 6-2, in the night match.

Andre Jones

Dubai

http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=2485

mallorn
03-01-2007, 09:02 PM
From Daily Express:

Nadal slams Hawkeye after loss

01/03/07

Defending champion Rafael Nadal slumped out of the Dubai Open on Thursday losing 7-6 6-3 to unseeded Russian Mikhail Youzhny.

The disgruntled Spaniard then slammed the Hawkeye line calling system, accusing it of costing him the first set.

Top seed Roger Federer also struggled but defeated seventh seeded Serb Novak Djokovic 6-3 6-7 6-3.

In the semi-finals, Federer will play fifth seeded German Tommy Haas, a 6-0 6-2 winner of Olivier Rochus of Belgium, while Youzhny will play unseeded Swede Robin Soderling, who beat Fabrice Santoro of France 6-1 6-7 6-0.

Second seeded Nadal was furious that, with the score at 6-5 in Youzhny's favour in the tiebreak, a ball from the Russian appeared to be out but was shown to be in when the call was challenged.

"Today I lost the first set in the last point because I saw, and the referee (umpire) knows because he saw the ball outside," Nadal told reporters. "The mark of the ball was still on court and it was outside but in the challenge it was in, so that's unbelievable."

According to the disappointed Spaniard, even umpire Roland Herfel agreed the ball was out, but umpire's are instructed to go with the Hawkeye call.

"I say to him, 'look, the ball is out', and he say 'I know'.

"The truth is put Hawkeye on clay this year and we will see. You will see what's happening with Hawkeye sometimes."

Even Youzhny agreed the ball was out.

"It looked like it was out," said Youzhny. "I saw the mark, but I just took the challenge because it was a very important point. When it showed it was good I was a little bit shocked."

Youzhny's victory was not entirely unexpected, after he won the Rotterdam title last Sunday, while Nadal has not reached a final since Wimbledon, and has not claimed a title since he won Roland Garros in June. Youzhny also won their last meeting, in the quarter-finals of the 2006 US Open.

After claiming the first set in dubious circumstances, Youzhny broke to lead 4-2 in the second by forcing a backhand error. But he then needed seven match points to close out the match as both players lifted what was already a superbly contested battle to a new level.

(...)

http://www.express.co.uk/sport.html?fSKU=2007-03-01T211618Z_01_L01571136_RTRIDST_0_OUKSP-UK-TENNIS-MEN-DUBAI.XML

nevermind
03-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Yana , I was amazed too Eurosport kept on playing the whole game ! :)

Too bad for the hawk-eye-tie-break-point or Rafa would surely have won !!
Youzhny , the umpire & Rafa all saw the ball was in so why can't they change their rules & make it a bad eye call ?
The system fails but they can't call on the system ??!!

He brought up some of his best tennis yesterday & he faught till the end ! That's our Rafa !!
Never ever give up

linus
03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Rafa :hug:

I dont know what I should say now.

MariaV
03-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, he did play quite well, just a few stupid points in the TB and one stupid service game in the 2nd set. So I am not really worried and he should keep on working and stay positive.
Misha simply played an excellent match (despite on the match points in the end :lol:) and is in great shape right now. To be honest, he is not my favourite player either. ;)
:hug:

Alexandy
03-02-2007, 10:10 PM
:(

I really thought Rafa was going to make it. I am so so so sad. This is so depressing. I'm worried about Rafa's tennis not being able to beat players anymore. I didn't see the match, but it sounds like he played okay.

ETA: I hate Youzhny's salute. I really wish he'd stop doing it.

nevermind
03-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Our Rafa played a really great game I think ,
I saw some of his best tennis this year !
Did someone see the back hand smach he made ??
That was the most beatifull point of the whole Dubai tourney & last set 40-40 Rafa was standing between the flowers a few meters behind his baseline but he knocked all serves back from Misha !!
He did a great job i think

yana
03-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Our Rafa played a really great game I think ,
I saw some of his best tennis this year !
Did someone see the back hand smach he made ??
That was the most beatifull point of the whole Dubai tourney & last set 40-40 Rafa was standing between the flowers a few meters behind his baseline but he knocked all serves back from Misha !!
He did a great job i think

I saw it! He saved a MP with that back hand smach. He has balls...
And yes, he played very good, but Misha is on fire these days. I don't know if anybody can beat him, except Fed (or neither Fed?) :p

Xristos
03-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Xristos can beat Fed.

yana
03-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Xristos can beat Fed.

Amen. :p

the_natural
03-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Maria V your man Marat didnt play well either!!!! I guess I should be nice cos hewitt needs to win but Marat also needs that Confidence, 2 years without a title (is it the curse of the AO05 winner?? Same thing happened with Serena).

Damn it my 2 fave current players are struggling, one has the game but not the mind, one has the mind and not the game.

Has anyone got any video of rafa from dubai?? Because Ive not seen anything since AOQF. What I saw was that Rafa was coming out confident but his opponents started being more aggressive and then he stops hitting his groundies as deep and he would change his service motion back to the clay court motion (the one he uses on second serves). And during the danger times he would go all out defensive counterpuncher to the point where he was even more defensive than when he played on clay, in fact he was more aggressive on clay last year than any other surface except grass (and he also played aggressive "ballsy" tennis on danger points).

Another prob is that when he was confident last year and his opponents game raised he would raise his in turn OR he would maintain his level and not change anything in his game i.e. he wouldnt become forceful or more defensive and he would the opponent, realising this, was not able to maintain their level of play.

yana
03-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Just to prove how popular Rafa is in MTF:
The Yuzhny roasts :rolleyes: thread reaches 33 pages while the Roger wins Dubai thread only 9. :haha:

Did they lose interes in the greatest player ever? I bet they didn't watch the final either. :p

yana
03-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Has anyone got any video of rafa from dubai?? Because Ive not seen anything since AOQF.

check this thread
http://vamosbrigade.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1839&start=90

the_natural
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks very much, but what do u mean youzny roast thread? I dont visit other parts of this forum (except for checking in on guys like haas, Safin, JCF, Pim Pim etc) i cant stand the whackjobs around there. What are they roasting him about? (And in response to what u said about the dubai final, no nobody watched that crappy pointless stupid boring final)

MariaV
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Youzhny roasts Nadal ... thread is in General Messages.
And congratulations on Lleyton's title! It's good to have him back! :wavey:

Mimi
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
the so-called Fedtards enjoy seeing rafa lost then their idol wins, how pathetic they are, to hate a person who they never meet ;):rolleyes: :confused: