:) GINEPRI, Robby USA v KENDRICK, Robert USA
KOROLEV, Evgeny RUS v GREUL, Simon GER
BYE/TURSUNOV, Dmitry RUS
MELZER, Jurgen AUT/BYE
MONFILS, Gael FRA v BENNETEAU, Julien FRA
PLESS, Kristian DEN v SERRA, Florent FRA
BYE/BLAKE, James USA

-------------------------------------------------------

No Las Vegas for Robby... Just when he was garaunteed two matches, he withdrew after the main draw was announced citing "personal" reasons :crying2: I have no idea if he even flew to Vegas or not... What a shame! And what a way to get his 2007 going in the right direction :rolleyes:

rege
02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
(3) SAFIN, Marat (USA)

Did Marat defect? ;)

I'm not a fan of the round robin format, but it will be interesting to see how Robby handles it.

Deboogle!.
02-24-2007, 03:22 PM
well at least he will definitely play 2 matches, that can't hurt him right now.

Fee
02-24-2007, 05:52 PM
The only thing that can hurt Robby right now is me, if I see him at IW for the one day that I will be there. I will put him over my knee and...

Tytta!.
02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
The only thing that can hurt Robby right now is me, if I see him at IW for the one day that I will be there. I will put him over my knee and...

and...?

Fee
02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
spank him. But probably not. Seriously, I doubt that I will see him there. It would be nice to see him get his game back on track, but I'm just not very optimistic at the moment. meh.

Tytta!.
02-24-2007, 07:05 PM
spank him. But probably not. Seriously, I doubt that I will see him there. It would be nice to see him get his game back on track, but I'm just not very optimistic at the moment. meh.

Oh. You should be positive. Life is beautiful!

idolwatcher1
02-25-2007, 09:00 AM
It's been reported that Robby has withdrawn...

idolwatcher1
02-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Did Marat defect? ;)

I'm not a fan of the round robin format, but it will be interesting to see how Robby handles it.
:p I just pasted the info from the tourament draw thread :lol: Igor also had USA next to his name, lol

It may be Indy before we see how Robby does in the round-robin format... :sad:

Pepper LaRue
02-25-2007, 09:07 AM
It's been reported that Robby has withdrawn...

:eek: Where did you read/see this?

idolwatcher1
02-25-2007, 09:20 AM
:eek: Where did you read/see this?
It shows it on this ATP drawsheet: :sad:
http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2007/433/mds.pdf

Pepper LaRue
02-25-2007, 04:05 PM
It shows it on this ATP drawsheet: :sad:
http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2007/433/mds.pdf

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/Pepper-LaRue/thWTH.gif I have a suggestion...I think the mods should add this smiley and call it "robby". I seem to be using a lot these days when it comes to Mr. Ginepri.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/Pepper-LaRue/shock.gif

Deboogle!.
02-25-2007, 04:10 PM
his reason was "personal" ???????

egads... hope everything's ok.

Fee
02-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Same thought here. When I see something like I always fear something unfortunate in the player's family. I hope that Robby and his family are okay, and that he can get to Indian Wells in 10 days and maybe earn some points there.

Pepper LaRue
02-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Robby's website says he's "spending time with the family" right now. :sad: I hope everything is ok.

Lee
02-27-2007, 06:27 AM
When I saw "personal" as the reason for his withdrawl, I was really worried.

Hope nothing serious with his family. :awww:

idolwatcher1
02-28-2007, 05:54 AM
I was wondering if something happened with his grandma

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/456/rggmadh2.jpg

of course, she could be just fine... I wonder if/when we'll find out what happened... :awww:

idolwatcher1
03-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Okay, so Robby's back!... at least for a match, anyway :|

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6831/rgrk1fn2.jpg

On a personal level, it sucks that he drew his pal (and recent Memphis doubles partner), Robert Kendrick in the first round... :awww: I really wanted Robby to get some more wins here, but he'll have to get past the first round... :unsure: And whoever wins will get to play Djokovic next... gee, I wonder who the favorite will be... :help:

bavaria100
03-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Okay, so Robby's back!... at least for a match, anyway :|

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6831/rgrk1fn2.jpg

On a personal level, it sucks that he drew his pal (and recent Memphis doubles partner), Robert Kendrick in the first round... :awww: I really wanted Robby to get some more wins here, but he'll have to get past the first round... :unsure: And whoever wins will get to play Djokovic next... gee, I wonder who the favorite will be... :help:

Robby vs. Robert :bigcry: :sobbing: :tears:

Deboogle!.
03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
If it's not on the main court, I will see the match :)

idolwatcher1
03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Robby vs. Robert :bigcry: :sobbing: :tears:
i know... :sad: I thought of you when I first saw the draw :hug:

bavaria100
03-07-2007, 12:07 AM
i know... :sad: I thought of you when I first saw the draw :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

It's really unbelievable at the moment. My faves can't catch a break. They either face each other or they play against one of their worst opponents (e.g. Max against Tojo). :mad: Still, I'm pretty sure that Robby's gonna win this one. Robert has really sucked so far on the ATP-Tour. :lol:

idolwatcher1
03-07-2007, 12:48 AM
I know your faves haven't had a lot of luck this year! Robby's the favorite to win the match, but I'm still not confident about the outcome... I don't feel like either player is coming in with any kind of momentum on their side, so it'll be whoever shows up that day with the most stuff, I guess :shrug:

On a side-note (and not a good one, I'm afraid), Robby's had at least one "SET POINT" in three different sets that he's LOST (already) this year... In his last match against Korolev (in Memphis), Robby had a set point in the first set on his serve, and he ended up losing that set... :sad: But then he won the next set... essentially, he would have won the match in straight sets against Korolev had he just gotten that NEXT point... Robby needs to improve his set point conversion rate... :scared:

bavaria100
03-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I know your faves haven't had a lot of luck this year! Robby's the favorite to win the match, but I'm still not confident about the outcome... I don't feel like either player is coming in with any kind of momentum on their side, so it'll be whoever shows up that day with the most stuff, I guess :shrug:

On a side-note (and not a good one, I'm afraid), Robby's had at least one "SET POINT" in three different sets that he's LOST (already) this year... In his last match against Korolev (in Memphis), Robby had a set point in the first set on his serve, and he ended up losing that set... :sad: But then he won the next set... essentially, he would have won the match in straight sets against Korolev had he just gotten that NEXT point... Robby needs to improve his set point conversion rate... :scared:

Robby also needs to improve his play in tiebreaks. I can't even remember when he won his last one. :o It must have been a long time ago. I think Robby rarely plays badly. He always has his opportunities to win matches but he doesn't take them. It's just a matter of confidence. I still believe that his great run in the second half of 2005 wasn't a fluke.

Fee
03-08-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm going to try to see him as well. Hopefully, I can catch him before his match and say hello.

idolwatcher1
03-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Robby plays the last match of the day on the main stadium court... Probably will get quite cool by then!

idolwatcher1
03-09-2007, 07:34 AM
btw, SpikeTV uploaded the video of Robby from the Pros vs Joes show onto YouTube :)

click the pic

http://sjl-static3.sjl.youtube.com/vi/dLjHSbcoM5E/2.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLjHSbcoM5E)

idolwatcher1
03-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Congrats to Robby for making it through his first round in straight sets... :)
I was following the live scoreboard (remind me not to do that again)... Robby didn't face a single breakpoint on his serve the entire match.............. that is, until he served for the match and lost 13 straight points!... :banghead: What in the world was going on there???????? :shout: He needs to hire a sports psychologist if he's going to keep falling apart like that when it's time to close out a match or a set... :rolleyes:

Next, Robby faces Djokovic on Court 4... yeah, Court 4 :ras: ...they're complete opposites right now... it'll be the headcase-who-clearly-lacks-confidence-especially-at-the-right-moments versus the player-who-believes-he-can-beat-Federer-even-though-he's-never-done-it-yet...

:wavey:

Deboogle!.
03-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Robby had his chances today, he was up an early break in both sets and just kept making mistakes :shrug: that's pretty much all there is to say, he made mistakes at key points :shrug:

Pepper LaRue
03-12-2007, 07:16 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/Pepper-LaRue/49.gif

bavaria100
03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
First of all, it's good that Robby won a match this week. :) It's just a shame that he once again didn't take his chances versus Djokovic. :sad:

idolwatcher1
03-14-2007, 05:18 AM
I refused to follow the match, so I have no idea how things played out. I honestly wasn't expecting Robby to win his match against Djokovic because I just didn't feel he came into this tournament with any kind of momentum (or confidence). Of course, I always hope he surprises me and overcomes his personal demons and keeps any lead that he ends up getting, but I certainly don't expect it at this point. And his 13-point choke against Robert Kendrick didn't exactly give him a boost going into the next round... :unsure:

Robby's played less matches this year than any of the other players in the Top 50, with the exception of Henman & Wawrinka (both sufferred knee injuries this year) and Turnsunov (left-wrist injury this year)... So he's in the bottom 4 of the Top 50 as far as match-play goes... :help:

One thing that a lot of people seem to say when they watch a match that Robby loses is that his opponent "didn't win the match, Robby just lost it"... not sure if this latest match was another one of those or not, but I'm hoping Robby can do better in Miami!

Deboogle!.
03-14-2007, 06:38 AM
One thing that a lot of people seem to say when they watch a match that Robby loses is that his opponent "didn't win the match, Robby just lost it"... not sure if this latest match was another one of those or not, but I'm hoping Robby can do better in Miami!It was. Robby was up an early break in both sets and just made mistakes mistakes mistakes. Novak wasn't playing badly, but he wasn't blowing Robby away either. then in the 2nd, Robby broke back when Novak served for it at 5*-3, Novak choked a bit sure, but Robby made him play, but then Robby just lost his serve at 4*-5. Maybe it's b/c he hasn't played enough, impossible to say, and i don't want to say that Robby would have won if he had played better, but it definitely would've been closer if he didn't give away soooo many points.

idolwatcher1
03-15-2007, 06:28 AM
Deb, sorry for the amount of questions I'm about to ask you, but I'm curious if you remember... Was Robby usually missing (or making mistakes) on easy, high-percentage shots, or was he missing after going for winners or more difficult shots?... or did it seem like a combo of both? And I'm interested in knowing what his body language was throughout the match... Was he noticably frustrated after he couldn't hold serve? Sometimes you'll see him get pissed at himself, and sometimes he won't come off like he cared too much. And did Djokovic seem to attack Robby's 2nd serves, or did he just return the ball to put it into play?

I believe that Robby would have made less mistakes and done less "choking" had he played a warm-up tournament just prior to Indian Wells... it's VERY unfortunate that he had personal problems tying him down, but so it goes... :awww: At least he made it back to Indian Wells and played two matches there! :)

Now this is what I like to see!!! :worship: Thanks for uploading pics, Deb!

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/828/thumbs/P1010374.JPG (http://www.menstennisforums.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/48223/cat/828)

Here's a pic I found of Andy serving to Robby in practice... Gineproddick :hearts:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9625/42086996556bc77e64fowv4.jpg

Deboogle!.
03-16-2007, 04:56 AM
I'm sorry, I really have no idea... we weren't really paying that close attention. i mean yes robby was frustrated, he had his chances and missed them, so yeah, he was visibly annoyed at himself. But beyond that I don't honestly remember specifics. It was a long busy weekend and we watched so many bits and pieces of different things i'd be making stuff up if I tried giving you more specifics than that.

idolwatcher1
03-16-2007, 05:16 AM
I'm sorry, I really have no idea... we weren't really paying that close attention. i mean yes robby was frustrated, he had his chances and missed them, so yeah, he was visibly annoyed at himself. But beyond that I don't honestly remember specifics. It was a long busy weekend and we watched so many bits and pieces of different things i'd be making stuff up if I tried giving you more specifics than that.
ah, well... it was worth a shot :)

idolwatcher1
03-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Miami draw is out, and it looks like Robby will play another American... this time Vince Spadea

Good luck to Robby!

Deboogle!.
03-20-2007, 02:35 AM
oh god robby, please beat Spadea. and Nalbandian is completely beatable right now. not a great draw but he could win a couple rounds if he gets his head together

rege
03-20-2007, 06:14 AM
oh god robby, please beat Spadea. and Nalbandian is completely beatable right now. not a great draw but he could win a couple rounds if he gets his head together

My sentiments exactly.

I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

Pepper LaRue
03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Hopefully Robby won't be blinded by the fabulously Bedazzled Spadea.

Fumus
03-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Hopefully Robby won't be blinded by the fabulously Bedazzled Spadea.

What's the best Ginepri has ever done in Miami? I don't know why but Robby doesn't like to play well in the start of the season. Ideally he should love the court in Miami, and trully idealistic thinking might tell you that clay would be one of his better surfaces....but idealism unfortunately doesn't transfer to real world results, if it did...well...never mind...but Robby only likes to do well during the summer hard court season. After 05' he really had me fooled and I though for sure he would be in the top 10 after that semi final at the USO. After he went back to his "obby" ways, I just refuse to follow him(well at least until the summer).

My current tennis coach/instructor at SUNY is from Georgia and is good friends with Robby...so I guess I might be able to meet him and stuff...so I will keep you posted, he plays at some event in NY near us and she gets free tickets and players passes every year....so I might just have to Robby fangirl for a bit. Anyways, figured I would pop in say hello.

Go Ginepri!!!

Pepper LaRue
03-21-2007, 05:04 PM
What's the best Ginepri has ever done in Miami?

Werd. I guess I still view Robby thru rose-colored glasses as I too was fooled by his run at the US Open in 2005. Call me hopelessly optimistic in my hopes that he'll pull himself together and play the way he's capable of playing on a consistent basis.

Deboogle!.
03-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Robby's best result in Miami is a QF in 2003.
http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=0&year=0&query=Singles&selTournament=403&player=G569&x=9&y=13

idolwatcher1
03-22-2007, 04:45 AM
What's the best Ginepri has ever done in Miami?
In 2003, Robby was the only player to reach the Quarterfinals at both Indian Wells and Miami that year... He qualified just to get into Indian Wells that year and, naturally, he was unseeded in both tournaments and beat seeded players in order to advance. (How often have we seen that happen with him? :p ) Anyways, he came into Miami 2003 with momentum from IW, and relatively no pressure at all, which tend to be the kind of ingredients that Robby does best with. :tape: Let's not forget, he was also highly motivated to become a Top 50 player during that time, so the motivation factor was definitely there.

Last year in Miami, he came in with absolutely NO momentum... his confidence had plummeted, and to make matters worse, after he finally won a singles and doubles match there, he became ill with a fever and eventually lost his 3rd round match in three sets (and subsequently withdrew from his doubles match with Andy Roddick). not fun :sad:

Robby will start his match with Spadea tomorrow afternoon on Stadium court... I hope he does well!! :)

Fergie
03-22-2007, 04:49 AM
Go Robby!!! :bounce:

Pepper LaRue
03-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Dang! Robby lost to Spadea 6-1, 6-3. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/Pepper-LaRue/thWTH.gif

Deboogle!.
03-23-2007, 02:13 AM
holy effing shit Robby.

I don't even know where to start :silly:

Fee
03-23-2007, 04:38 AM
:help: :tape:

rege
03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
:shout:

Pepper LaRue
03-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Someone please take my Ginepri fan-girl card. I don't want it anymore.

TMJordan
03-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Vince Spadea just aint afraid of ya, Robbie.

BTW why cant I find a Spadea thread? :confused:

EDIT: found it on page 2 :o

Deboogle!.
03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Here's Robby's press conference after he lost... another month off :eek: He needs to play a couple of challengers just to get his confidence back...
=========================
SONY ERICSSON OPEN
March 22, 2007
Robby Ginepri
KEY BISCAYNE, FLORIDA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How disappointing was that match for you?
ROBBY GINEPRI: I really don't know how to answer that question. It's obvious with four games to Love, it's pretty embarrassing.

Q. Obviously the wind played a major part in that because obviously I think a lot of your errors, particularly at the net, were caused by the wind maybe holding the ball up a little bit.
ROBBY GINEPRI: Yeah, I mean, I couldn't get much going today at all. I don't know what it was, but I was feeling pretty good coming into this match and thought I could get things turned around, but I don't know what happened.

Q. Do you give some credit to Vince? It seemed like he played good defense and just kind of waited for you to make the mistake. Did you feel that way?
ROBBY GINEPRI: Stoned with six easy volleys in a match doesn't help when I'm setting up the point and have one shot to finish it. It makes things difficult.
Yeah, Vince, he returned pretty well, came to the net a little bit more than I've seen. So it's good to see he's still working on stuff to improve his game.

Q. You guys had split the first four times you played. What was the difference today from those matches?
ROBBY GINEPRI: I mean, I wasn't -- I didn't really show up today. I didn't feel like once I was in my rhythm, how my game should be going. I feel like I served or returned, I didn't feel like I moved well.
I just couldn't pinpoint anything. I kept trying to get things going, and error after error. It was just tough, tough out there.

Q. Is it just not getting enough matches?
ROBBY GINEPRI: Yeah, it's tough to say. Definitely I would like to have a lot more matches played, but it's not the situation right now, so I can't rely on that. I've got to figure out another way to get the ball rolling.

Q. Such a shame because you looked just fantastic on the courts. Your dress sense is just perfect: Your shirt matching the color of the court and everything. :spit: :haha: :haha: :haha:
If a contest was based on attire you would have won hands down. Unfortunately the strokes didn't quite match up with how you looked.
ROBBY GINEPRI: I'm glad I looked good (laughter) because it's something plus today.

Q. What did you think of Vince's wardrobe out there? It looked like you were playing like a rec player with the stuff he was wearing.
ROBBY GINEPRI: Yeah, I wore that to a sixth grade dance maybe.

Q. Where do you go from here?
ROBBY GINEPRI: Going home, probably a month's vacation before Houston.

astropunk
03-24-2007, 12:35 AM
ROBBY GINEPRI: I mean, I wasn't -- I didn't really show up today.

You didn't show up today?? I feel sad reading that...: sad: very :sad:

Fee
03-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Please get a coach Robby. Do something. I'm about to hand in my card too, but I am so damn fond of him for some reason, I just can't give up on him yet. :sad:

Pepper LaRue
03-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Please get a coach Robby. Do something. I'm about to hand in my card too, but I am so damn fond of him for some reason, I just can't give up on him yet. :sad:

I've always thought he should have pursued Brad Gilbert as a coach especially after the little blurb he wrote about Robby in Tennis Magazine comparing his game to Agassi's. But, obviously, that ship has sailed.

idolwatcher1
03-24-2007, 06:28 PM
as disappointing as this last result is for Robby, it's unfortunately not that surprising... Windy conditions + Robby's (typically) stubborn game strategy when he hasn't had a lot of match-play to gain confidence = bad news...

I don't think he's ever done well in windy conditions because instead of playing it safe (waiting for opponent to make an error or go for a winner), he tries to shorten the point and put away a winner himself... This strategy (or stubbornness) backfires on him... Most of his volleys or attempts at winners failed on him, even on break-point opportunities...

I think Robby needs to become better at adjusting his game (or adapting to current court conditions) to create an optimal outcome, even if he has to do this mid-match to turn things around. Instead of playing more patiently, I think he tries to go for too much in attempt to win points, and when he hasn't had a lot of match-play, his winners become errors a lot of the time! OR because the wind literally causes his shots to become errors!

I strongly believe that this is what attributed to his confidence-crushing defeat at the Australian Open last year. The conditions became increasingly windy on MCA as he was trying to close out that match in straights... instead of playing it out patiently, he tried to end the match quickly and shorten the points... It BACKFIRED... bigtime!

idolwatcher1
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
I've always thought he should have pursued Brad Gilbert as a coach especially after the little blurb he wrote about Robby in Tennis Magazine comparing his game to Agassi's. But, obviously, that ship has sailed.
I felt that way too, originally. I felt Brad did a great job at examining and understanding the way Robby plays tennis and how Robby should play tennis to be his most successful. Having said that, I'm not sure that Robby and Brad would make a good fit. I'm sure Robby is aware of the issues that came up when Andy and Brad were together, and how he may not be any better off with Brad as his coach. But, Brad's tied down now anyway ;)

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2194/rgawerawadl2.jpg

It's interesting that we talked here about Robby hooking up with Darren Cahill before he became an ESPN tennis analyst. We wondered if they could be a good match...

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2428/rgao2hrtrz0.jpg

...ok, I did that for fun :haha: But whoever Robby's coach is, he needs to clearly understand what's going wrong, and what Robby needs to do to get himself playing at his best again. Work on consistency and strategy that best suits him.

Pepper LaRue
03-25-2007, 12:17 AM
It's interesting that we talked here about Robby hooking up with Darren Cahill before he became an ESPN tennis analyst. We wondered if they could be a good match...

Ooh! Cahill would be great too. Please Robby, PLEASE get a REAL coach! Or maybe it's time to put away the racquets and go to cooking school? :sad:

idolwatcher1
03-28-2007, 11:49 PM
you can't even see who Robby's playing on the court :lol: looks like he powered the ball into the net though...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/431421603_0d3373138c_m.jpg (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/431421603_ee085cee44_o.jpg)

Harvey Fialkov (of South Florida Sun-Sentinel) said Robby was "impatient" during his match against Spadea, and he committed 29 unforced errors (Spadea had 14)... better luck next time, Robby :help:

bavaria100
03-29-2007, 11:11 PM
I still can't believe that he lost 3 & 1 to Vincent Spadea. :retard: Looks like he will struggle as badly as last year until the start of the US summer hardcourt season. :scared:

idolwatcher1
03-30-2007, 05:03 AM
I still can't believe that he lost 3 & 1 to Vincent Spadea. :retard: Looks like he will struggle as badly as last year until the start of the US summer hardcourt season. :scared:
It's hard for me to believe too :( ... After losing a bad first set (6-1), Robby will usually rebound to win the next set or at least make it close... but in this match, he never got anything going... I'm hoping Robby will at least win 2 clay court matches this season... :awww:

btw, I read an article about Kendrick... it said he and Robby were watching NCAA basketball games after he lost to Spadea... Kendrick opened up some Grey Goose Vodka and then woke up the next morning to realize he was a lucky loser, won his second round match and recieved his second highest pay day of his career :yeah:

bavaria100
04-01-2007, 08:27 PM
It's hard for me to believe too :( ... After losing a bad first set (6-1), Robby will usually rebound to win the next set or at least make it close... but in this match, he never got anything going... I'm hoping Robby will at least win 2 clay court matches this season... :awww:

btw, I read an article about Kendrick... it said he and Robby were watching NCAA basketball games after he lost to Spadea... Kendrick opened up some Grey Goose Vodka and then woke up the next morning to realize he was a lucky loser, won his second round match and recieved his second highest pay day of his career :yeah:

Me too, but I think this will be hard to achieve. I think Houston uses green clay this year so this might increase Robby's chances a little bit. :shrug: I will be very pleased if he wins 1 match on clay this year.

That's a very cute story about Robert. I'm happy for him that he finally won a match on the ATP-tour. He already lost some close ones (e.g. versus Becker at Memphis) this year so it's good that he got a win under his belt. Thank's for sharing this story with us. :hug: