rotterdam... over in a flash, but we can speculate lol [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

rotterdam... over in a flash, but we can speculate lol

Via
02-20-2007, 09:52 PM
... has a pretty cool website. an innovative-looking order of play (that has two days, match start times, and no separate columns for courts), and what's more, odds for matches (from a contest they are running, apparently)

what i'm really trying to say is, the prediction for gicquel v clement is 32%/68%, as i speak...

according to what i hear on the other thread... if that's the general betting odds out there, is it a good idea to bet against our dear arnaud, since we think marc is playing well? :lol:

higherlaw
02-21-2007, 02:30 PM
lost to Giquel 6/4 6/3. Maybe he needs Camille back...?

Marine
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
First round again...

(Maybe he needs her but she doesn't need him, she's never been as good as for some months ago :) )

Via
02-21-2007, 10:33 PM
:o i should have placed that bet! lol

First round again...

(Maybe he needs her but she doesn't need him, she's never been as good as for some months ago :) )

are we getting into these speculations now, finally? is camille the reason why he's so up and down in the last... what... 8 months? :sobbing:

well then i guess, for camille anyway, doing well is the best revenge.... ????

Kezzi
02-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Did I miss something about Arnaud and Camille? :scratch:

higherlaw
02-21-2007, 11:07 PM

Nope. Just speculation about why Arnaud isn't playing so great.:rolleyes:
(Playing well in doubles tho, let's not forget)

btw, did you see him at the ABN ?

Kezzi
02-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I saw him.
Yesterday the training was fun, I was really happy to see him and Bruno again :bounce: They are soooooooooooo cute :hearts:

The match today wasn't really nice. Arnaud was distracted by all the noise from kids day activities and after the break in the second set he was constantly shaking his head. He just gave up in that moment.
And ofcourse he had to teach the ballkids how to do their job :lol:

Via
02-21-2007, 11:22 PM

don't tell me that you've totally missed it, because the 'and' doesn't apply anymore :sad:

kezzi you are a very tolerant type... having witnessed a first round loss like i did but come out of it still feeling pretty good about this guy! :worship:

btw there's no kids day at sydney when he played so it wasn't his excuse there :rolleyes: sorry, my mouth is going out of control again :ignore:

Kezzi
02-21-2007, 11:28 PM
don't tell me that you've totally missed it, because the 'and' doesn't apply anymore :sad:

kezzi you are a very tolerant type... having witnessed a first round loss like i did but come out of it still feeling pretty good about this guy! :worship:
Really? :eek: I have totally missed that, what happened? :sad:

Arnaud is just too nice to not like him. Even after he lost, me and my sister wished him good luck in the next tournament and he still managed to smile at us. It was a sad smile, but first I got the impression he was very angry and maybe it was better not to say anything at all. But we first talked to Bruno and he was still really nice, so we also tried our luck with Arnaud :p .

edit: he didn't use kids day as an excuse himself. For us it was obvious he was very distracted by all the noise. Even we thought it was very annoying :( .

Via
02-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Really? :eek: I have totally missed that, what happened? :sad:

sorry you've just found out! i know the feeling myself!
no one knows what happened, just that it happened.

Arnaud is just too nice to not like him. Even after he lost, me and my sister wished him good luck in the next tournament and he still managed to smile at us. It was a sad smile, but first I got the impression he was very angry and maybe it was better not to say anything at all. But we first talked to Bruno and he was still really nice, so we also tried our luck with Arnaud :p .

edit: he didn't use kids day as an excuse himself. For us it was obvious he was very distracted by all the noise. Even we thought it was very annoying :( .

you are the one who's nice ;)

Kezzi
02-21-2007, 11:44 PM
sorry you've just found out! i know the feeling myself!
no one knows what happened, just that it happened.

you are the one who's nice ;)
They were really cute when I saw them together in 2004 in 's Hertogenbosch :sad:
How did you find out?

I think it's very hard not to like Arnaud on court, if you like him off court :hearts: . The whole match I only thought "Awww, poor Arnaud" :awww:

Via
02-21-2007, 11:58 PM
They were really cute when I saw them together in 2004 in 's Hertogenbosch :sad:
How did you find out?

there was talk in the grapevine last year lol but reported in french newspapers before the start of this year, i think. someone had quoted the paper in some thread on this forum, you can search for it but there isn't anything much else.

I think it's very hard not to like Arnaud on court, if you like him off court :hearts: . The whole match I only thought "Awww, poor Arnaud" :awww:
good on you. i don't know what to say. something turned different for me.

higherlaw
02-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Really? :eek: I have totally missed that, what happened? :sad: .

Sorry to be vague, I thought everyone knew !:banghead:

Thanks for the info about the match. Any pix for us?

Kezzi
02-22-2007, 08:46 PM
there was talk in the grapevine last year lol but reported in french newspapers before the start of this year, i think. someone had quoted the paper in some thread on this forum, you can search for it but there isn't anything much else.

good on you. i don't know what to say. something turned different for me.
I still can't believe it, they were so cute together :awww:

What do you mean?

Kezzi
02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Sorry to be vague, I thought everyone knew !:banghead:

Thanks for the info about the match. Any pix for us?
Doesn't matter, I'm happy I found out. Now I know not to mention her to Arnaud, that would maybe ruin the conversation. And it already is hard for us to have one, because I don't speak French and I get the idea he's not so happy about talking English :p .

I'm sorry, but all my pics are very blurry. I will upload the best ones, but I have to resize them.
The light in Rotterdam is too bad for taking pics without flashlight with my little camera :( .

Via
02-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I still can't believe it, they were so cute together :awww:

yes they were indeed... one of my fondest memory at the sydney tournament, was also in 2004 i think, after i finished working on an arnaud match... arnaud won the match, and camille went over to him afterwards, and gave him a little congrat kiss :angel: then the two of them walked hand in hand back to the building, and me and a work partner with our computers and other stuff followed them a few steps behind (to keep a distance!). it was a lovely sunny, and rather quiet time of the day, and for a few minutes, i was so happy for arnaud, and for the two of them.

*sigh* (we can afford a little trip down memory lane, can't we, since things are a bit slow? lol)

...you know what, it could've been at the same court that he lost to paulo this year :rolleyes: so what's changed? lots...

Kezzi
02-22-2007, 10:50 PM
yes they were indeed... one of my fondest memory at the sydney tournament, was also in 2004 i think, after i finished working on an arnaud match... arnaud won the match, and camille went over to him afterwards, and gave him a little congrat kiss :angel: then the two of them walked hand in hand back to the building, and me and a work partner with our computers and other stuff followed them a few steps behind (to keep a distance!). it was a lovely sunny, and rather quiet time of the day, and for a few minutes, i was so happy for arnaud, and for the two of them.

*sigh* (we can afford a little trip down memory lane, can't we, since things are a bit slow? lol)

...you know what, it could've been at the same court that he lost to paulo this year :rolleyes: so what's changed? lots...
I also remember a moment like that from 's Hertogenbosch 2004. After training they walked back to the players lounge hand in hand and while walking Arnaud gave a kiss on Camille's hand. My sister and I went on all day about how cute that was :p .

That reminds me of this question, the necklace Arnaud is wearing, did he get it from Camille?

Via
02-22-2007, 10:57 PM
I also remember a moment like that from 's Hertogenbosch 2004. After training they walked back to the players lounge hand in hand and while walking Arnaud gave a kiss on Camille's hand. My sister and I went on all day about how cute that was :p .

That reminds me of this question, the necklace Arnaud is wearing, did he get it from Camille?

so we both saw a similar scenario in 2004 :)

necklace??.... how would i know, and you wouldn't dare to ask him anymore :p

i still have pics of camille which ARNAUD signed on, lol....... my sister's nice work last year, when i couldn't go myself.

Kezzi
02-22-2007, 11:18 PM
so we both saw a similar scenario in 2004 :)

necklace??.... how would i know, and you wouldn't dare to ask him anymore :p

i still have pics of camille which ARNAUD signed on, lol....... my sister's nice work last year, when i couldn't go myself.
I was hoping someone knows :) . He kissed it before he started the match, so it must have some special meaning for him. It could just as well be some superstition.

That's nice to have a sister who does that for you :D .

Marine
02-23-2007, 01:07 AM

I don't think so, it's a cross and a medal, both are religious.

Anne-Claire
02-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey :wavey: (writing live from Ahoy lol)

I saw the match too and Arnaud played like crap, it was a non-match, he was most in an hurry to get back home that actually winning and fight for the match vs Marco. and yes, he was really angry after the match...

It s not a good tennis period for him amd I really hope that he s gonna have better results teh zeeks to come in the masters in the US ;)

Via
02-23-2007, 11:56 PM

I saw the match too and Arnaud played like crap, it was a non-match, he was most in an hurry to get back home that actually winning and fight for the match vs Marco. and yes, he was really angry after the match...

It s not a good tennis period for him amd I really hope that he s gonna have better results teh zeeks to come in the masters in the US ;)

:wavey: that doesn't sound like an enjoyable match. sorry to hear.

in a hurry to get back home???? lol was it that obvious :lol:

but kezzi doesn't think he was angry, he managed to smile to her afterwards!

yeah he really does need to sort himself out and come back stronger for indian wells and miami. he still gets direct entry for these, i hope.....

Kezzi
02-24-2007, 06:41 PM
I don't think so, it's a cross and a medal, both are religious.
Then it could be something he got from family :scratch: I didn't see it was a cross and a medal, I just saw him arranging it and kissing it before he started.
Well, at least I know what's on the necklace now, thanks! :)

Kezzi
02-24-2007, 06:44 PM

:wavey:

I also saw him shaking his head all the time and I agree it was really obvious he wanted to get off as quick as he could.

I also hope his results will improve soon :) .

Kezzi
02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
:wavey: that doesn't sound like an enjoyable match. sorry to hear.

in a hurry to get back home???? lol was it that obvious :lol:

but kezzi doesn't think he was angry, he managed to smile to her afterwards!

yeah he really does need to sort himself out and come back stronger for indian wells and miami. he still gets direct entry for these, i hope.....
It really wasn't enjoyable. We really wanted him to win, but seeing him not believing in himself was really frustrating :sad: And all the people who didn't know him talking about him as if he was the most unfriendly player they've ever seen wasn't helping to cheer us up ;) .
The people next to me and my sister even said about us "oh, those are these fans of Clement :rolleyes: " They saw is talking to him and Bruno after training I guess. We gave them both a button :p . I found the perfect one for Bruno ("No. 1 coach"), so my sister also searched one for Arnaud ("Simply the best"). My sister thought it would look silly to give Bruno something and not have anything for Arnaud :p . My sister is the Arnaud fan, I like Bruno a little better :rolls:

And yeah, he was angry after the match, but my sister and I tested our luck :lol: As I said, we wanted to wish him good luck in the next tournament, so we just said it to him and he managed to say thanks and smile to us. Even though it was the saddest smile i've ever seen, I'm still happy he didn't kick us :rolls: But we could see the smile had to come from very very very far :p .

higherlaw
02-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Even though it was the saddest smile i've ever seen, I'm still happy he didn't kick us :rolls: But we could see the smile had to come from very very very far :p .

This is all too bad...and...let's hope the rest of the year's tournaments aren't over in a flash!

I was thinking about how tough it must be mentally to be a prof tennis player. Some real highs and then some real lows (unless, of course, you're Federer!). Our Arnaud has had some highs and seems to be in another low now. Clearly it's also hard physically if you can't play at the level you did when you were younger. If we're frustrated with his performance(s), he must really be having a hard time. Anyway, enough of that...

I guess Arnaud's next tournament is Indian Wells? I see that Seb is playing in the Sunrise Challenger :crazy: between IW and Miami (which has a great entry list, btw). Does anyone have any different information about Arnaud's upcoming tournaments?

Kezzi
02-24-2007, 09:47 PM
This is all too bad...and...let's hope the rest of the year's tournaments aren't over in a flash!

I was thinking about how tough it must be mentally to be a prof tennis player. Some real highs and then some real lows (unless, of course, you're Federer!). Our Arnaud has had some highs and seems to be in another low now. Clearly it's also hard physically if you can't play at the level you did when you were younger. If we're frustrated with his performance(s), he must really be having a hard time. Anyway, enough of that...

I guess Arnaud's next tournament is Indian Wells? I see that Seb is playing in the Sunrise Challenger :crazy: between IW and Miami (which has a great entry list, btw). Does anyone have any different information about Arnaud's upcoming tournaments?
I noticed that too. After running a lot in a few games, Arnaud sat down and he was still heavily breathing as if he needed to catch his breath. And your right, it's mentally tough and you never know what goes in inside a player's head.
My fav Dutchie Fred took a break a year ago, because of mental reasons. And reading an interview about that made me realize that all this time I was frustrated of him giving away points, he actually did that 'cause he wanted to go home as soon as possible. In this case "home" being a hotel. That interview was the saddest I've read in my whole life, I didn't know he felt that bad :sad:

And back on topic:
I don't know anything about upcoming tournaments, only that Bruno qualifed Düsseldorf and Halle as "maybe" :)

Via
02-24-2007, 10:10 PM
It really wasn't enjoyable. We really wanted him to win, but seeing him not believing in himself was really frustrating :sad: And all the people who didn't know him talking about him as if he was the most unfriendly player they've ever seen wasn't helping to cheer us up ;) .
The people next to me and my sister even said about us "oh, those are these fans of Clement :rolleyes: " They saw is talking to him and Bruno after training I guess. We gave them both a button :p . I found the perfect one for Bruno ("No. 1 coach"), so my sister also searched one for Arnaud ("Simply the best"). My sister thought it would look silly to give Bruno something and not have anything for Arnaud :p . My sister is the Arnaud fan, I like Bruno a little better :rolls:

And yeah, he was angry after the match, but my sister and I tested our luck :lol: As I said, we wanted to wish him good luck in the next tournament, so we just said it to him and he managed to say thanks and smile to us. Even though it was the saddest smile i've ever seen, I'm still happy he didn't kick us :rolls: But we could see the smile had to come from very very very far :p .

oh gosh. oh. :rolleyes: so it was like that. again.

kezzi...........how could you have put up with a match like that... as fans didn't you feel that you deserve better? didn't he feel embarrassed that he still had fans after such a match???? i'm not criticising you, but hey.... aren't we letting those tennis stars get away with too much too easily :o

no i don't mean those pins are too much lol..... it's a lovely idea ;)

gosh if he's mad, i think i was entitled to be mad too. i never understand why i didn't walk out of that doubles match i sat through in sydney (arnaud/mika just went out there to lose it), and went over to the moya/verdasco match on the other side, the atmosphere and competition seemed much better over there...:rolleyes:

higherlaw, i have thought of that too, i assure you and everyone else that i have tried to run through some kinder thoughts in my head :lol:

so i don't want to blame his performance, his level... but i can't find excuses for the behaviour. one should lose with as much grace and dignity as one can find. and what about the motivation (lack of)? after we've made travel plans, bought tickets, arranged for time off... shouldn't we expect to see matches where players try harder?

ok, i've rambled on enough lol :ignore:

anyway - he'll get my support when he plays like a decent player again. i'll see...

Kezzi
02-24-2007, 10:45 PM
oh gosh. oh. :rolleyes: so it was like that. again.

kezzi...........how could you have put up with a match like that... as fans didn't you feel that you deserve better? didn't he feel embarrassed that he still had fans after such a match???? i'm not criticising you, but hey.... aren't we letting those tennis stars get away with too much too easily :o

no i don't mean those pins are too much lol..... it's a lovely idea ;)

gosh if he's mad, i think i was entitled to be mad too. i never understand why i didn't walk out of that doubles match i sat through in sydney (arnaud/mika just went out there to lose it), and went over to the moya/verdasco match on the other side, the atmosphere and competition seemed much better over there...:rolleyes:

higherlaw, i have thought of that too, i assure you and everyone else that i have tried to run through some kinder thoughts in my head :lol:

so i don't want to blame his performance, his level... but i can't find excuses for the behaviour. one should lose with as much grace and dignity as one can find. and what about the motivation (lack of)? after we've made travel plans, bought tickets, arranged for time off... shouldn't we expect to see matches where players try harder?

ok, i've rambled on enough lol :ignore:

anyway - he'll get my support when he plays like a decent player again. i'll see...
I think I can put up with a match like that, because I've experienced it with Fred before and I know that with him there was a really good reason to behave like that, I just didn't know it. And that's also the reason why I'm very scared that Arnaud will retire very unexpected just like him. I hope I'm wrong and I keep saying to myself that the situations are different, but I just can't get that idea out of my head :scared:
Also I'm not a fan of just "good tennis", for me it's the combo of a kind player who plays a game I like. And since Bruno travels with Arnaud I started to like him more and more. And I'm as optimistic as can be when it comes to my fav players, even when on of them would play Federer I would still believe in him winning untill the last point is played :p .

Hopefully it's just a phase Arnaud has to go through and he will feel (and play) better soon :) .

And feel free to ramble as much as you want, I think forums are a great place to do that :D

Marine
02-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Very pessimistic posts :awww:

Kezzi, arnaud won't retire that soon, he has to play the next OG before :lol:

Via
02-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I think I can put up with a match like that, because I've experienced it with Fred before and I know that with him there was a really good reason to behave like that, I just didn't know it. And that's also the reason why I'm very scared that Arnaud will retire very unexpected just like him. I hope I'm wrong and I keep saying to myself that the situations are different, but I just can't get that idea out of my head :scared:
Also I'm not a fan of just "good tennis", for me it's the combo of a kind player who plays a game I like. And since Bruno travels with Arnaud I started to like him more and more. And I'm as optimistic as can be when it comes to my fav players, even when on of them would play Federer I would still believe in him winning untill the last point is played :p .

Hopefully it's just a phase Arnaud has to go through and he will feel (and play) better soon :) .

And feel free to ramble as much as you want, I think forums are a great place to do that :D
nice reply, kezzi.

arnaud is a kind person off the court, but not a kind player on it. and to me he's a tennis player, he's not my personal friend. if he's a friend then i'd know what's troubling him and i would be a lot more understanding and accomodating.

what was fred like? is he retired now?

you know what, we all carry some 'baggage' in life, even as tennis fans! i was a marcelo rios fan, btw (another :ignore:) talk about being frustrated fans... :lol:

Via
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM

sorry. i don't try to predict the future, but looks like i'm still frustrated about the recent past :lol:

btw, re previously discussed fitness level... is he going downhill at the grand old age of 29? actually no, i didn't sense a fitness problem at all, on that side i think he's doing pretty well for his 'old age'.

Kezzi
02-24-2007, 11:14 PM

I'm indeed very happy you posted that :lol: .
And as long as Seb doesn't retire at the same time I can still talk to Bruno ;) .

Kezzi
02-24-2007, 11:38 PM
nice reply, kezzi.

arnaud is a kind person off the court, but not a kind player on it. and to me he's a tennis player, he's not my personal friend. if he's a friend then i'd know what's troubling him and i would be a lot more understanding and accomodating.

what was fred like? is he retired now?

you know what, we all carry some 'baggage' in life, even as tennis fans! i was a marcelo rios fan, btw (another :ignore:) talk about being frustrated fans... :lol:
I also don't see tennisplayers as friends. And because of that I don't know what's inside their heads, but I'm very forgiving for behaviour on court if they are nice to their fans off court. And I'm a fan based on my feeling, most of the time I can't explain why I like someone, because I just feel it and I can't find a reason that makes sense. All my fav's are nice to their fans (at least as far as I know) and ofcourse they play tennis I like to watch. But Federer also plays a good game and is very nice, still I'm not a fan :shrug: .

I didn't know anything about his situation untill I read an interview about his retirement. In that interview he said that he was walking around with the decision to retire in his head for about 2 years. At times he really wanted to quit, but everytime he found a little joy in tennis again he made himself believe he wasn't ready to retire. And he felt like he had to make that decision by himself, didn't tell anyone what was going through his head. And at one point when a sponsor decided not to pay for his coach anymore he made the decision to retire, he didn't even tell his doubles partner he was playing with that week. He just felt like he was all alone and he didn't want to bother anyone with his thoughts. After I knew all this I felt really bad, because I became a fan about the same time this all started. In that moment I understood everything I was frustrated about with him from his point of view. I also thought that when he had those thoughts, he sure didn't need a bouncy fan to be optimistic about everything he did. I was disappointed quite a few times after travelling to a tourny, about his loss and I always thought of him as a very strange person. He was never angry at us and in some way he liked the support, but that also made it more difficult in his decision, and because of that he just couldn't be very nice to us. I wish I knew, because now I understand why he wasn't really nice and at the same time I still liked him in a way.
Think my story is long enough and it has a happy ending :p
Fred made his comeback last summer and I didn't meet him again yet, but I already feel that the break was good for him. He's back around 400, starting from spot 1500 and a bit in a little more than 6 months :worship:
I'm happy I didn't delete my website ;) Considered it though

Via
02-25-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks kezzi for your stories... i didnt really look at your sig before, now i do notice you have listed your favourite guy first! lol

Kezzi
02-25-2007, 11:28 PM
thanks kezzi for your stories... i didnt really look at your sig before, now i do notice you have listed your favourite guy first! lol
The others are in random order, because I like some of them more than the others in certain periods :p . Depends on how long ago I've seen them, how they play, etc.
But yeah, Fred is listed first :lol: Also a little to "promote" the website ;)

Hangdog
02-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all your Rotterdam reports and other stories, Kezzi! :) That was a nice reading, indeed. But looks like you’ve been discussing here a question which has no certain answer…

Anne-Claire
03-04-2007, 08:45 PM
We gave them both a button :p . I found the perfect one for Bruno ("No. 1 coach"), so my sister also searched one for Arnaud ("Simply the best"). My sister thought it would look silly to give Bruno something and not have anything for Arnaud :p . My sister is the Arnaud fan, I like Bruno a little better :rolls:

Funny we had the same idea, all the buttons were so funny, actually I bought two of them but not for the clement's brothers..:) One for my Koa (as you can see on the pics) and one for a coach (of who I keep the name secret lol :) I took "Tennis is a way of life" and "N°1 tennis player coach"!!
Rotterdam tourny is definately the best indoors I've been too :yeah:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6928/dsc3583pf8.jpg

Kezzi
03-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks for all your Rotterdam reports and other stories, Kezzi! :) That was a nice reading, indeed. But looks like you’ve been discussing here a question which has no certain answer…
You're welcome :) I still have to work on my pictures, school is really busy these days :( .

It could be me, but what question do you mean? :)

Kezzi
03-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Funny we had the same idea, all the buttons were so funny, actually I bought two of them but not for the clement's brothers..:) One for my Koa (as you can see on the pics) and one for a coach (of who I keep the name secret lol :) I took "Tennis is a way of life" and "N°1 tennis player coach"!!
Rotterdam tourny is definately the best indoors I've been too :yeah:

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6928/dsc3583pf8.jpg
Yeah, those buttons are great :D . I also bought one to keep myself, it says "Do you want to play?" Might come in handy with cute guys at school :lol:
Was there also No1 tennis coach? I didn't see that one :scratch: Well, I guess Bruno knows he's a tennis coach and doesn't need a button to tell him :p . But that would be a nicer one to give to him :) .
You made me curious, isn't there any way to get you to tell us the name of that coach? :p ;)

Rotterdam really is a great tourny, I'm lucky I can go every year :D

Anne-Claire
03-05-2007, 05:46 PM
yes, there were both N°1 Coach and N°1 tennis player coach :) I like the "nadal look a like" button and many others... I should have taken more :)
No sorry, no way to know my mysterious fav coach :nerner: except if you happen to see a coach with a button with "n°1 tennisplayer coach" written on it... :haha:

Hope to go there next year! Actually, I even prefer to skip TMS Bercy to go in Rotterdam ;)