Skylers Picks [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Skylers Picks

Fumus
03-29-2004, 07:16 PM
So check it out, I have decided to pick a few matches and guess the outcome. If I am right you all must salute me :worship: If I am wrong well, I will hang my head in shame :o and you laugh at me!! :D

Maia
03-29-2004, 07:18 PM
Go for it :)

Fumus
03-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Picks for March 29, 2004

A. Agassi vs. M. Mirnyi

Mirnyi is this crazy serve and volley monster from Belarus. He wants to serve big and volley away any return. Andre has had a career of beating people like this. Andre's returns and baseline game will be too strong for Max...Andre wins 6-3,6-4

B. Jonas Bjorkman vs Andy Roddick

Jonas is a very tricky veteran with some great volley skills. Bjorkman has given Roddick trouble in the past and has already beaten him this year. Roddicks serve and net play will decide this match. If Roddick's serve is on and he is able to win points at net it will open up the backcourt him. If Andy is able to keep Jonas at the baseline it will be a short match as Bjorkman cannot contend with the Roddick ground strokes. Roddick has too much firepower. Roddick wins 6-4, 6-4

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Well I hope you're right on both accounts :)

Fumus
03-29-2004, 08:39 PM
yes ma'am

mee too

MisterQ
03-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Nice predictions, Fumus, I hope I will be saluting you after both matches. ;)

The only time I have ever been fortunate enough to see Andre play in person was his 2002 US Open match (Rnd. of 16, I think) against Mirnyi. It was a fun match. Max took the first set in a tiebreak, then Andre won in 4.

Max is in an interesting position. He knows he can't win from the baseline against Andre, and has to come in to the net. Problem is, this makes him come in at stupid moments sometimes. And the pass flies right by him. That's what happened in the match I saw. But if Max chooses good moments to put on the pressure, then maybe he has a shot...

Fumus
03-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Almighly Q *bows* thank you for your blessing

haha

um, yea Max has to come to net, he has to hold serve and hope to catch Andre on a bad night and get a few breaks of serve and hold on. If Andre is playing anywhere near his best it will be passing shot practice and Andre will make short work of the "Beast from Belarus"

tangerine_dream
03-29-2004, 09:33 PM
I hope you're right Fumus :banana:

star
03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Nice predictions, Fumus, I hope I will be saluting you after both matches. ;)

The only time I have ever been fortunate enough to see Andre play in person was his 2002 US Open match (Rnd. of 16, I think) against Mirnyi. It was a fun match. Max took the first set in a tiebreak, then Andre won in 4.

Max is in an interesting position. He knows he can't win from the baseline against Andre, and has to come in to the net. Problem is, this makes him come in at stupid moments sometimes. And the pass flies right by him. That's what happened in the match I saw. But if Max chooses good moments to put on the pressure, then maybe he has a shot...

Yeah, and if Andre got some of Fed's bug from the handshake. :)

Havok
03-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Q, Max comes in on anything, whether or not its a good approach or not. he does that to get his opponent to become tight and hit the errors (dump the passing shot into the net) he just moves forwards no matter what, its a little weird to qatch quite frankly:o

MisterQ
03-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Q, Max comes in on anything, whether or not its a good approach or not. he does that to get his opponent to become tight and hit the errors (dump the passing shot into the net) he just moves forwards no matter what, its a little weird to qatch quite frankly:o

yeah Naldo, that's what I was saying. He just comes in, whether it is wise or not.

I guess he's a big guy and sometimes it does work through intimidation, like you said, the opponent gets tight with him at net. But against the really experienced players this is less likely.

Fumus
03-30-2004, 03:58 AM
I was 2 for 2 we'll see how my next picks go

star
03-30-2004, 04:10 AM
It's not quite 2 for 2 since you said Roddick would win in straights. :p

Deboogle!.
03-30-2004, 04:39 AM
ok then Skyler what are the next picks? oh wait you can't say quite yet since Canas and Xman are still battling it out lol

J. Corwin
03-30-2004, 09:59 AM
lol good enough Skyler. As long as you keep choosing them to win (provided that you give good omen lol).

Fumus
03-30-2004, 03:14 PM
alright sooo....lets get Todays picks rollin..

Deboogle!.
03-30-2004, 03:20 PM
ummmmmm mmmmmmkay.... goferit:)

Fumus
03-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Fernando Gonzalez v. Rafael Nadal

I love Gonzo he just smashes the hell out of every ball that comes his way. Finesse is not in Gonzo's vocab or his game. If Fernando wants to win he better get really hot and hope that today is the day his shots land in. Nadal is probably one the most gifted players on tour both in moving and shot making. He waits for his moment to strike and then is able to hit winners from both sides of the ball. Besides all that good stuff he's really fiery and fun, plus he's a lefty like me so I have to like him in this one. Nadal in 2.

Srichaphan vs. Spadea

Spadea plays the defense/counter puncher/baseliner game to perfection. He doesn't have flashy shots or amazing ability but, he is very consistent and he has a serve that is halfway decent. He makes his opponents beat his game much like Andre does. Srichaphan is very flashy player who has the ability to beat any top ten player when he is playing his best. Paradorn has one problem, when he is not hot he sucks, much Gonzo there is no plan B for Schri. Still I think Srichaphan is consistently better at controlling play and hitting winners than Spadea. Srichapan in 3.

Roddick vs. Canas

I don't really see Canas as too much of a threat here; there is no part of his game that really should bother Andy. Canas's serve isn't that big, his arsenal off the ground isn't a worry and he isn't really a great net player by any means. Canas does move pretty well and he plays at a consistent level. If Roddick's play falls below that consistent Canas level than Canas can win. Roddick needs to serve well and play percentage tennis for an easy win. Roddick in 2.

Agassi vs. Calleri

Calleri is one of the those guys who has been hanging around the top ten for a number of years. He has been a pro since 95 and has only won 1 ATP title. Calleri has been known to be a gaint killer from time to time. Agassi needs to work Callieriís from side to side and take away any shot making ability. All in all there is nothing about Agustinís game that should threaten Andre, I see an easy win even if Andre plays his B game. Agassi wins in 2.

Deboogle!.
03-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Calleri :drool:

good picks, well-thought out. You'll be an asset to us when the FO rolls around (Roddick Online does predictions for the slams :D)

Fumus
03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
really, you would let me do that? :)

Deboogle!.
03-30-2004, 04:17 PM
oh of course!! we were practically begging people during the AO!

Fumus
03-30-2004, 04:29 PM
haha alright....coo coo, keep me posted like GM board..corny joke I know

Havok
03-30-2004, 06:30 PM
i would go for Gonzo over Nadal in straights. Nadal's serve is pathetic and Gonzalez will eat them up with those huge cuts he takes. mind you these big swings must fall inside the lines, and i think they will. Nadal is powerful but his forehand is tailor made for more of a claycourt imo. Gonzo should be able to steal the momentum of every point and he should win.

Fumus
03-30-2004, 06:34 PM
nah, I think Nadal has that one, the only pick I am shakey on is the Spedea pick..

J. Corwin
03-30-2004, 09:13 PM
well looks like Andre is gettin a'schoolin

Deboogle!.
03-30-2004, 09:20 PM
erm.... not quite yet!

J. Corwin
03-30-2004, 09:27 PM
Doesn't mean he has to win. ;) Andre still got some schoolin in the match no matter what.

Fumus
03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
yea, I have my first wrong pick *sobs*

Havok
03-30-2004, 11:23 PM
thats 2 wrong picks Skyler:p Nadal and Agassi are out, tsk tsk:D

Deboogle!.
03-31-2004, 12:11 AM
lol Skyler, well now you have your chance again.... what about Coria/Kiefer? Andy/Moya??

Fumus
04-01-2004, 02:34 PM
well, I will try to do a better job this time..

Deboogle!.
04-01-2004, 02:55 PM
well you have a chance to right now lol

Fumus
04-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Vincent Spadea VS. Agustin Calleri

So after the :o of last times picks I am going to be a little wiser. Here we go...

It's Spadea, who is being called "this yearís Rainer Schuettler" and Agustin Calleri is the guy who played out of his mind to beat Agassi. After seeing highlights and reading about the Agassi match it was great play by Calleri and lack of Agassi stepping up at the big moments, which caused the outcome. Calleri has to play another great match and have another out of body experience to beat Vince Spedea, a guy who is looking more and more like a top ten player. I think right now Vince is the number 2 (or 3 if you count Agassi) for America. Vince is consistently too powerful from the baseline and it's rare that someone plays as good as Calleri did twice in a row. I see Vince "the ace of spades" Spadea winning in 2 sets.

Carlos Moya VS. Andy Roddick

I think it's only fitting that after last weekís debacle with Recca that we now get to see who was right. If you didnít read the argument I had with Recca it was about forehand of Roddick vs. forehand of Moya. I think Roddick's forehand is better than Moya's forehand, Becca think Roddicks forehand is nothing special and that Moya has the better. So I hope Rebecca is watching today. Roddick is 2-0 against Moya and I see this trend continuing. If Roddick can serve big, set up his forehand, and come to net when he has too; it will be very hard for Moya to stop Andy. Moya will want to work Roddick from the baseline, get Roddick out of position, and hit winners from both sides. I see this match being a tuff one, and just like how I see the 2-0 trend continuing, those two matches were three setters, I see the three set trend continuing too. Roddick wins in three.

Chloe le Bopper
04-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Actually, Fumus, as I said in the other thread - the winner of a match does not determine who has the best single shot.

If that was the case, then you would have to agree that Spadea has a better serve than Roddick.

Deboogle!.
04-01-2004, 11:40 PM
hey Skyler you were 2 for 2 today.... sets and all.

Fumus
04-02-2004, 02:42 AM
I rule!!

Fumus
04-02-2004, 02:43 AM
Actually, Fumus, as I said in the other thread - the winner of a match does not determine who has the best single shot.

If that was the case, then you would have to agree that Spadea has a better serve than Roddick.

Rebecca do you want a hug? Maybe alittle cuddle time? haha :devil:

Deboogle!.
04-02-2004, 02:49 AM
haha.... so, your picks for tomorrow's SFs?

Fumus
04-02-2004, 02:58 AM
haha.... so, your picks for tomorrow's SFs?

hmmm....I think I will get those up as soon as you get the video up. I am really feeling unsure about tomorrow....I will have to ponder and look into my crystal ball...

Deboogle!.
04-02-2004, 03:57 AM
lol I don't know when I'll have time to put the video up. I haven't even made it yet and I am a dumbass and reset the counter on my VCR so I have to go through the whole damn match again :mad:

Fumus
04-02-2004, 04:00 AM
which you won't mind...after all that hot blonde pops up a few times...that was cool!!

Deboogle!.
04-02-2004, 04:05 AM
why would I want to look at the hot blond? LOL

ohhhhhhhh they're repeating the match! *pops in a new tape* I'll catch all the stuff I was stupid and missed.... LOL

Fumus
04-02-2004, 04:07 AM
oh yea, they are doing it now...sweet I am going to bed!!

J. Corwin
04-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Looking forward to your picks.

Fumus
04-02-2004, 04:17 PM
alright...Skyler's picks commin up..so lemee put my specticles on and put on some John Mayer...

tangerine_dream
04-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Great job with the picks, Fumus! :yeah: Should I start placing my money now? ;)

Fumus
04-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Wow...we are at the semi-finals and not a moment too soon. I still am in shock about the great match we saw yesterday. The play wasn't the best but, it was pure entertainment.

For those keeping track I am 5 and 3 with my picks, so far.

Vincent Spadea VS. Andy Roddick

It's the comeback/miracle shot kid Andy Roddick vs. Vincent "The Ace of Spadeas". I think everyone sees this as Roddick's revenge but actually the only person Roddick needs revenge on is himself. He was up a set and a break. He was just cruising and in complete control of the match in scottsdale and he slipped. Spadea is playing great tennis, he is consistent, powerful, and plays with alot of variety. His game reminds me alot of Agassi in the way that he is such a clean ball striker and he forces people to beat him with their weakness. :cool: Spadea is also a great returner like Agassi. I think the table is set for a great match. :boxing: Roddick is the better player there is no doubt in my mind, better talent, bigger game, and more incredible shots. If he plays to his potential or pretty close to it he will beat Spadea. I think if Roddick is as pumped as I am about his game he will come out on fire... :fiery: Spadea is tough but Roddick is better... :aplot:

Prediction: Roddick in 3 :tennis:

Fernando Gonzalez VS. Guillermo Coria

I am suprised Gonzo has made it this far. Imo, he's a great player but he's beat some pretty consistent and talented people to get here. Pavel, Nadal, Novak none of those guys are push overs. I just feel like Ferando's game is too one dimensional to beat Coria. Coria is 3 and 0 against Gonzo and that includes two wins on hard-court and one on clay. If Gonzo picks up his game to the ultimate level and all his shots go in, it still may not be enough to beat Coria playing his at or near his best tennis; which by the way I think Coria has been playing the last couple weeks. Coria is one of the fastest guys on tour and will be able to get alot of the balls back to Fernando which will cause him to error. I see an easy straight set win for Coria.

Prediction: Guillermo Coria in 2 Sets :tennis:

Deboogle!.
04-02-2004, 04:51 PM
oh god how I hope you are right again

star
04-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Who was that blond, anyway?

Deboogle!.
04-02-2004, 04:56 PM
damn good question lol

Probably nobody.... the camera just likes to pick out attractive people who are exuberant lol. They weren't in any kind of special box, it didn't look like? And they only showed her at the end.

Fumus
04-02-2004, 04:57 PM
me too haha, Tangy I have a feeling these picks are good so take out a mortgage on the house and whatever is in savings bet it all!!! haha j/k I don't know I just hope I am right...

Fumus
04-02-2004, 04:58 PM
oh god how I hope you are right again

yea, me too!!

Man, doing the finals will be tough!!

Go Bryan brothers :worship: !!BTW

J. Corwin
04-02-2004, 08:58 PM
*waits* lol

Fumus
04-02-2004, 09:01 PM
yea, so the score was wrong...I still picked the winner, so mo' props to my pops for that...

Fumus
04-18-2004, 05:46 PM
In the Tradition of all things good like, breakfast in bed, popcorn in the movies and Andy Roddick winning tournement; there's Sklyer's picks.

Today we have Haas vs. Roddick. I hate Haas, but, I won't let that affect my picks today. I think Haas is on the road to recovery and he would like to win this tournement to show he is back at or near 100%. Andy wants to win for his own reasons, perhaps to build confidence on clay or to keep the gap close between him and Federer. Both these players need no extra incentives they want this bad.

Haas has played his all court game well this week. I was suprised when he took at Pavel in the way he did. Haas just looks a half step to slow, and is missing that flare he had. He doesn't have a shot that he can use to get cheap points, maybe his backhand somtimes but really he works his opponents and forces them to error. I see his keys to victory keeping his errors down and trying to draw Andy into long rallies.

Andy has always played well at the USMCCC, he won it 3 times. The crowd will be on Andy's side and if Andy gives them a reason they will be there to lift him up. His serve has been really effective this week and his net game has shown some real improvement. I don't see this match going to 3 sets but it could. I say Andy in 3 sets.

tangerine_dream
04-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Yaaay, Skyler's back with his picks! :banana:

I'm feeling really good about this match. I think Andy will win. Good luck Andy! :dance: :bounce:

Fumus
04-19-2004, 06:23 PM
so no Andy matches this week. Except one, Andy vs. Fatigue with alittle R&R Andy will beat fatigue in straight sets...

tangerine_dream
04-19-2004, 06:31 PM
:lol: Fumus

Well, my gut feelings let me down this time. :sad: Oh well! Andy made it to the finals for a fourth year in a row so that's definitely an achievement. :yeah:

Fumus
04-20-2004, 04:57 AM
oh yea, still, that's no reason not to get naked and jump in nacho cheese by any stretch of the imagination.

We are still on for that right? :lol:

Deboogle!.
04-20-2004, 04:57 AM
Skyler, you lost me there lol

Fumus
04-20-2004, 04:59 AM
you are alive!!

Deboogle!.
04-20-2004, 05:02 AM
*looks in mirror* so I am.....

mmmmmmmmmmm I slept soooooooooooo much last night!!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
04-20-2004, 05:07 AM
lmfao.... I cannot believe you didn't know about the quarters! but what can I say, I'm a font of useless information!

As for your last comment... uh..... :tape:

Deboogle!.
04-20-2004, 05:10 AM
:tape: :tape:

J. Corwin
04-20-2004, 07:36 AM
control your hormones, Skyler

heya
04-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Andy should disguise himself as Gustavo Rodica :haha: :
Get plastic surgery, a very fake tan, dyed black hair,
win Wimbledon, AO, all clay events where the BIG BOYS play cuz everyone not Andy is courageous :tape::unsure: & demolish all US players at every US tourney!
Those pro-US tourney organizers are so unfair to non-US players! :scared: :bolt:

Fumus
04-20-2004, 04:40 PM
control your hormones, Skyler

sorry...comments gone. That wasn't supposed to sound like sexual harrasment, it was supposed to be silly. Oh well, I move on.. :cool:

star
04-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Damm! Something else I missed.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Fumus
04-20-2004, 06:20 PM
yea...what I said was *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeppp, I beeeeeeeeeeeppp", that should make clear for you...

J. Corwin
04-20-2004, 08:54 PM
sorry...comments gone. That wasn't supposed to sound like sexual harrasment, it was supposed to be silly. Oh well, I move on.. :cool:

I know you were joking. I was being tongue-in-cheek and joking too. ;)

Fumus
04-21-2004, 04:27 AM
awwww...ok, whhewww *whipes sweat off his head*

Fumus
05-03-2004, 07:33 PM
Andy Roddick vs. Guillermo Canas

I like Roddick's chances in this one. It's time for him to show he can do something on clay. Canas is decent on clay but he's been plagued by injuries and I think his time has passed by. This is a great person for Andy to warm up against and get his clay juices flowing. Canas will try to work Andy from the baseline but, will encounter some trouble due to a lack of weapons off both sides. Canas doesn't have anything that will bother Andy. Andy wins in 2. :)

tangerine_dream
05-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I hope you're right, Fumus. :)

Deboogle!.
05-03-2004, 07:44 PM
I'll second that tangy.

Fumus
05-03-2004, 07:46 PM
I hope you're right, Fumus. :)

well I think this one isn't a tough pick unless Andy plays bad, he will win. If Andy plays his b minus game...he will win.

Deboogle!.
05-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't think Canas has a "weapon" so to speak, but what I think he has is his tenacity and fighting spirit and ability to grind his opponents down, especially on clay. what he will have to hurt Andy is his ability to get everything back so Andy will be forced to go for it and might hit a lot of errors. IMO Andy will have to move well, serve very well, and play a clean match.

but if he does play well and get through, I agree that it's a good "warmup" for him and will give him confidence going into his further matches.

Havok
05-03-2004, 07:54 PM
:D

Fumus
05-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I don't think Canas has a "weapon" so to speak, but what I think he has is his tenacity and fighting spirit and ability to grind his opponents down, especially on clay. what he will have to hurt Andy is his ability to get everything back so Andy will be forced to go for it and might hit a lot of errors. IMO Andy will have to move well, serve very well, and play a clean match.

but if he does play well and get through, I agree that it's a good "warmup" for him and will give him confidence going into his further matches.

Bunk that first part is true about almost any good clay courter. I think you are over simplifing if you think that he going to force Andy to go for alot because he gets them all back. Andy doesn't play like that and I don't think it's that simple. I think if Canas plays his best, he can't win unless Andy is playing below even his normal consistant B game. That said I don't think we will see Canas's best, he has struggled this year and b4 that he was out with an injury for 8 months.

The match will be like this Andy will only break Canas 2 or 3 times all match and Andy will just cruise... :cool:

Deboogle!.
05-03-2004, 08:08 PM
yes, I know all good clay-courters play like that, which is why Andy has trouble with most good clay-courters!

Havok
05-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I think we have to wait it out and see. Bunk, Andy's cleaned up his game A LOT and isn't going for those crazy winners 24/7. He's able to stay in a point a heck of a lot longer than the "old" Andy used to. It all depends on how his shots are holding up, and of course his movement is always a question on clay (ie. drop shots...) We can't compare Andy's clay game last year to this year, as he's improved. We gotta wait it out a bit and see what exactly he's improved upon and if he can use that on the clay

Deboogle!.
05-03-2004, 08:16 PM
I wasn't comparing him to last year. The way I see it, they're both kind of unknown quantities. we haven't seen the "new and improved" Andy at full strength yet on clay. And Canas seems to be pretty inconsistent this year, he has had some good wins on clay and some poor losses. I wouldn't be surprised if either wins in straights or if it's a really tough 3-setter.

Havok
05-03-2004, 08:43 PM
For sure we haven't seen him play up to par on clay (he was so mentaly flat at Houston, so we can't use that as some sort of measurement) I was just saying that Andy of the old is no more, he's able to stay in points now, hes able to hit a proper backhand now :tape: he only runs around backhands to hit the clear winner or when he knows he's get a weak reply he can put away later, etc. All these improvements should aid him vs the good clay courters. I'm not saying that he's beat them all, but he shouldn't get as flustered as he used to vs people on clay now that he's upped his game.

Deboogle!.
05-03-2004, 08:53 PM
I hope you are right :) I'd also like to see Andy mix it up some and come to net even on the dirt. I think it will help him by giving his opponents a different look here and there.

Havok
05-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Uhuh, plus add on the fact that he finally learned how to play a drop shot off his one handed backhand side is an added plus:yeah:

Deboogle!.
05-03-2004, 08:58 PM
IMO he needs to worry about running down and preventing drop shots than making them himself ;)

Havok
05-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Sure, but you said mix it up more :tape: hitting drop shots is mixing it up last I heard :scratch:

:p

Deboogle!.
05-03-2004, 09:10 PM
I meant mixing it up by going to the net, serve-volleying, etc. :p I hate it when he stands several feet behind the baseline during a rally.... too easy to drop shot him even if he busts ass and runs some of them down.

Fumus
05-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Wait and see! lol what am I chop liver? haha I gave a prediction...I am right like 65-70% of the time.

Havok
05-03-2004, 09:47 PM
No I meant wait and see what happens, meaning how far his clay court game has progressed:banana:

Fumus
05-03-2004, 09:50 PM
ahhh....I see said the blind man, nice avatar dude!

J. Corwin
05-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Hope you are right about the predictions, Skyler.

Canas does quite well with his passing shots so Andy better approach well and finish the point with 1 or 2 volleys (if he approaches net). Canas is quick so Andy has to be on the offensive (aggressive but patient) as opposed to rallying. I think Andy will put it through.

Havok
05-04-2004, 01:23 AM
ahhh....I see said the blind man, nice avatar dude!
I know, it's sexy isnt it:lick:

heya
05-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I don't know if Gilbert's serious about making Andy more muscular
and encouraging him to rip the forehands. Andy could have more trouble covering the court with added body mass.

heya
05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Even on hardcourt, Andy's happy to send out floating high balls.
That's why he can't hold serve.
He's not aggressive & working hard on dropshots. His coach isn't aware of that.

Deboogle!.
05-04-2004, 05:15 PM
well Skyler's Pick appears to have been wrong today

heya
05-04-2004, 06:17 PM
He's satisfied with looping big serves in and getting tired because of it.
It's not just about confidence.

Keep blasting forehands out & do nothing else, Andy! Good job! :o

What do a few days with no sleep or practice do?
He went thru this before.

The fire and "hero" crap are truly disgusting. I want him to take a break from tennis.
He was always hyped by the media, torn down & embarrassed. Everyone, including detractors, get all shocked that he can't be Superman.

Gilbert lamely claps
and writes down excuses in his diary!
This is the same guy who complained to Shriver in the middle of the US Open semis.
Andy's too confused to realize that Gilbert's toxic for him.

He's lethargic on hardcourt and grass too, but everyone keeps talking about clay.
That's why I want him with better attitude and physical condition.

Havok
05-04-2004, 07:42 PM
heya you are waaaaaaaaaaay too demanding. You posted that the media expects him to be Superman and you rag them out, well just look at what you're doing:tape: I know you're hard on him, but give the guy some slack, its not like hes losing to anyone and everyone out there! He isnt pulling a Schuettler/Philippoussis 04 season or anything like that:D

Fumus
05-04-2004, 07:55 PM
my prediction was wrong. It was like I said, if Roddick didn't play his B game atleast he wouldn't win. He didn't, he played awful, I turned off the tv and did HW I was soo annoyed.

Deboogle!.
05-04-2004, 07:57 PM
wow...

can you give more specifics about when you did watch? Most of the reports we were getting were from non-fans.

Fumus
05-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Yea, I watched it. The first set was pretty close but Andy look tired, flustered, and annoyed. Canas looked slow and he made errors and set himself up a few times but Andy couldn't take advantage. At one point in the tiebreak, I remember, Andy had Canas way off the court and went for a winner down the line and it was out by a mile. I was like you cannot be serious and that's just how the match went. Canas was consistantly bad and then in the second got better, Roddick was really bad then got worse in the second. Roddick's movement was slow and it look like he gave up after the first not going for some balls and he was cleary poed. He had outbursted and threw his racket all over. Not Pretty!!

Deboogle!.
05-04-2004, 08:04 PM
*sigh* lovely

J. Corwin
05-05-2004, 03:30 AM
Raggedy Andy.

Havok
05-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Raggedy Andy.
LMFAO!!:haha::haha:

Fumus
05-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Hey Bunk could I have been more right about Fed? Man I should have posted those thoughts that I imed you, I could have been hailed as a genius...lol :worship:

Deboogle!.
05-05-2004, 05:18 PM
well ya didn't ;) :nerner:

tangerine_dream
05-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Raggedy Andy.

:lol: You're not kidding, jace! ;)

Fumus
05-24-2004, 02:38 PM
[2]Andy Roddick (US) v. Todd Martin (US)

ESPN executives threw a huge party when they found out that two Americans would be playing in the first round. The past two times Andy faced Todd on clay it has gone Andyís way. Andy beat Todd in Hamburg and Atlanta in 2002 and 2001, respectively. Those matches were however, two and three years ago. A lot has changed since then Andy Roddick risen to number one in the world and become the new hope for American tennis. Andy has a lot gotten more consistent and found a new coach in Brad Gilbert along the way.

The pressure is all on Andy Roddick to produce a victory. This could prove to be the deciding factor. Andy has to forget about his last two trips to Paris and go out and play tennis. Todd wonít roll over for anyone on the tour, heís one of the most consistent veterans on the tour, he will make Andy beat him.

I predict a shaky first set from Andy as he gets over his nerves and slips into his match with Todd. If Andy can play anywhere near his best tennis it will be an easy victory over Todd. If Andy plays shaky and Martin smells blood in the water this match could last five sets. A five-setter is some place Andy doesnít want to be in the first round, especially with someone so good at winning five set matches as Todd Martin. I donít see this match going there, Andy has too much fire power, and serves too well. Todd will try to work Andy by bringing him to net and forcing errors with his undying consistency.

Predicition: Andy in three.

J. Corwin
05-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Good prediction Skyler, except Andy still won in 3 without being at his best. You should have this on RO (if it's not already there yet).

Deboogle!.
05-24-2004, 09:03 PM
It is, he sent it to me this morning:)

Havok
05-24-2004, 09:34 PM
:banana:

Fumus
05-26-2004, 01:54 PM
[2] Andy Roddick(USA) vs. Oliver Mutis(FRA)

Andy Roddick is in to the second round of Roland Garros? Thatís right, whatís even more surprising then Andyís victory while sick is that Andy couldnít get one when he wasnít. After two straight losses the ship has been righted. The stigma has been broken; Andy Roddick is now comfortable and ready to play.

Oliver Mutis? Yea, heís a fast little counter punching French man whose best results have
been on hard court. He threatens Andy with his speed, consistency, and ability to keep balls in play and force Andy to put balls away by hitting 2 or 3 extra shots. If Andy is on his game and comfortable he will breeze through Mutis. Mutis wonít make the mistakes and will force Andy to beat him. If Andy begins to make unforced errors because he isnít fully recovered Oliver has a good chance of winning.

Andy btw, has a perfect 1 and 0 record against Mutis on clay, which came in Houston where Andy has played his best on clay. I see Andy returning to the third round where he was in 2001Ö

Andy wins in 3.

Fumus
05-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Andy's serve was way off today...oh well...5th set

tangerine_dream
05-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Nice try though, Fumus. My predictions suck ass and are always way off. I think I've been right maybe once. :retard: I would be so bad playing that ATP game. It's a good thing I don't bet on tennis. :lol:

Havok
05-26-2004, 07:40 PM
;)

Fumus
05-26-2004, 08:58 PM
oh well...I was going to put 4 when I made my prediction but lets be honest Andy should have won it in three

J. Corwin
05-26-2004, 08:59 PM
It's ok, we all know Andy has a lovely RG record. :)

Fumus
05-26-2004, 09:02 PM
yea, I am not detered I will make more predictions tomorrow with some other players..

Fumus
06-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Predictions for Wimbly coming up..

Fumus
06-21-2004, 07:34 PM
Andy Roddick[USA] vs. Yeu-Tzuoo Wang [TPE]

This is the biggest match of young Yeu-Tzuoo career. Thereís not much he can do except just hope to hang around and hope Roddick isnít playing anywhere near his best. This match is good because Andy will be able to warm up against someone like Yeu-Tzuoo who is a hungry qualifier. The grass at Queenís was good to Roddick, this match will give everyone an idea of just how Roddick will play the rest of the tournament. Call this match a preview. I will be surprised if Andy loses more than 6 games. Andy in 3, obviously..

Fumus
06-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Andy Roddick [USA] vs. Taylor Dent [USA]

So here we are, in the third round. Itís been a quick couple of days as no breaks in play have caused Andy to compete everyday. Andy said in a recent interview he preferred it this way, as opposed to the play, stop, rest, play, stop rest most players are accustomed too. Andy says he feels fit and has reportedly lost 10-12pnds.

Andy Roddick found awesome form on grass at the Stella Artios open to take a second straight title there. Roddick will need to find some of that form if he plans to beat Taylor Dent, a guy who has just played great so far this tournament. Taylor Dent loves to serve and volley off anything. He will serve and volley off his 1st and 2nd serve and off a return of serves. Taylor is just the kind of player Andy needs to face now because he will have to shift it up a gear against Taylor, which will get him ready for a potential showdown with Tim Henman in the semifinals. If Andy can serve well, impose his big forehand, and sneak to net he will win easy. If Andy plays like he did in rounds 1 and 2 in that almost practicing like state, it maybe a long day for the 2003 US Open champion.

Verdict: Andy is too powerful from all over. Roddick wins in 3.

Fumus
06-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Andy Roddick[USA] vs. Alexander Popp[Ger]

Today Andy will have to play another big server in Alexander Popp. Only this time I feel it will be different than the Dent match. Alex Popp has a great serve, no doubt but Popp isn't the same caliber opponent as a Taylor Dent. Why you may ask? Popp is ranked 111th in world and hasn't won a title his in his whole career. If there is such a thing is a clay courter, I would call Popp a grass courter. He has a great two handed backhand but, he relies too heavily on cheap points from his serve. Popp doesn't really to come to net, which is strange to see in someone who plays doubles so much and in someone who has such a great serve. Brad Gilbert says, ď[Popp] is a Poor manís Todd MartinĒ; Popp's game is too one dimensional to threaten Andy Roddick. If Andy comes out of the gates strong and imposes his will on Popp early from all over the court, Popp with explode or should I say pop. Andy has too much firepower from all over; he is just at another level than Popp in almost every aspect of the game. Good service return practice for Andy.

Andy in straights.