"Upset Sunday" concludes with a straight set thrasing by Rafa over Roger [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"Upset Sunday" concludes with a straight set thrasing by Rafa over Roger

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 12:37 AM
We all are awaiting Rafa's big breakthrough. Will it come by beating Roger on "Upset Sunday" at Miami?

This could happen if 1) Roger continues to succumb to sickness 2) it's hot 3) there are no tiebreaks.

What do you think?

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 12:44 AM
I've never seen Nadal play more than two points (Thanks ESPN! :yeah:!) but he seems like he fits the mold to do it - young talented kid just starting to have good results, could go out there with nothing to lose and just play freely.

It's a night match so it shouldn't be particularly hot, like 70s I would guess for Florida in March. Could be nice and sticky humid though.

Knowing Roger, he'll feel all better tonight and blast Nadal off court lol

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Well, me neither Bunk I just go by what I read and hear The only time I saw Rafa was at the USO last year and he was chilling in the stands watching his hero Moya and nobody knew who he was.

denim
03-29-2004, 12:53 AM
the only way rafa will upset roger will be by not shaking hands after defeat or being rude in post match press conference.

if i am wrong then i will have a big slice of humble pie and go in "last thing you ate" forum thread on non tennis forum lol

raf is an undoubted talent but not ready yet for knocking fed out of nasdaq.

star
03-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Nadal isn't ready yet for Federer.

Plus Federer will want to show the "next Federer" a thing or two.

LCeh
03-29-2004, 01:11 AM
I read somewhere where Nadal himself said that "I can beat him if I play to my full capacities and he is having a bad day. Other wise, no", or something to that effect.

It really depends on Roger's condition. I hope he is feeling better, and if so, it will be tough for Nadal to beat him.

Kiara
03-29-2004, 01:13 AM
yeah he will :bounce:

But Roger's gotten to know Rafa's game a bit because he played doubles against him. But Nadal wont give up withought a heck of a fight thats for sure.

LCeh
03-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Oh, here is the part of that interview:

Q. His scouting report, if he had to play you, was if he plays as well as he's capable of playing and you have a bad day, he can win. Otherwise, he says, he loses. What is your reaction to that?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I guess he wants to take some pressure off himself, which is kind of normal. Because maybe people expect already too much of him. I don't know, people expect him maybe to beat me on a good day, which I think is totally possible. But he's right, he should push it away from him.

Tomorrow he's definitely got a chance. Today wasn't my best, and I got to improve.

COMA
03-29-2004, 01:20 AM
No more upsets please!!!!!

Chloe le Bopper
03-29-2004, 01:21 AM
I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's even close.

Fed will eat Nadals serve alive.

jazz_girl
03-29-2004, 01:36 AM
I really like Roger, but I want Rafael to win this one!

Kiara
03-29-2004, 01:39 AM
He wont though, not if Roger is himself, but Rafael will give it his all no doubt about that, if Roger is ill and isnt back to his normal self there will be an upset.

Go Raf Go:bounce:

Chloe le Bopper
03-29-2004, 01:40 AM
It will be a good experience for him. Hopefully he doesn't get bagelled or anything of the sort.

LCeh
03-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Becca, stop jinxing Roger, it's not like he has won the match! :p ;)

Still very tough to say, seeing as Roger was sick and is still recovering.

Kiara
03-29-2004, 01:43 AM
If Davydenko took Roger to 3, then I dont think Raf will be bagelled....has he ever been bagelled?

yeah it'll be a good test for him, like playing Hewitt was.

I just want to see how he matches up againt someone like Roger.

Billabong
03-29-2004, 01:43 AM
That sound to be a good match coming up:D!!!

Kiara
03-29-2004, 01:46 AM

oh so thats what she's doing ;) heh!

Chloe le Bopper
03-29-2004, 01:48 AM

Still very tough to say, seeing as Roger was sick and is still recovering.
I'm not trying to jinx anybody. I really don't think that Nadal has much of a chance. But he'll give it his all and likely learn a thing or two. So I'm glad that he's getting to have so many matchups like this so early in his career. First Hewitt on Laver, now Fed here... i hope he gets Ferrero in one of the clay MS

LCeh
03-29-2004, 01:52 AM
I know I know. ;) somehow a lot of times it doesn't turn out the way it was expected in the end though... :(

Kiara
03-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Please. She's not jinxing anybody, Rebecca doesnt have those kind of powers ;)

lsy
03-29-2004, 01:56 AM
Why do you all don't think that Rafael has a chance vs Roger? Reading those reports after Rogi first match here looks to me he got lucky to come out as the winner. I haven't watched Rafael play before, but he has been playing well and given many good players lots of trouble, besides many of you said he's always positive and fighting each point out there. That's gonna be a big factor also Rogi had mentioned before playing a leftie is always tricky and tough. Rafael is gonna go out there playing his best without much pressures but can't say the same for Rogi. Nevertheless, hopefully it will be interesting.

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 01:58 AM
Congrats Becca at 10,000 posts :) :p

Chloe le Bopper
03-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Congrats Becca at 10,000 posts :) :p
How embarassing.

I actually had stopped playing attention to my post count. I think I shall resume not paying attention again now :cool:

Scotso
Nadal's gonna spank him :bounce:

Kiara
Congrats Becca, quite an achievement, your mom will be proud ;) :p

:bounce: :bounce:

calimero
03-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Roger will win it easily!! go ROGI!!!!!!!

LCeh
03-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Congrats Becca, quite an achievement, your mom will be proud ;) :p

:bounce: :bounce:

:lol: I still remember those comments...

hehe, congrats. It's not something easy to do, I had been registered to another message board for almost 3 years and I only have 3500 posts. So, 10k is definitely an accomplishment. http://forums.gamewinners.com/forums/images/smilies/party.gif

Billabong
03-29-2004, 02:07 AM
The match will start soon:D!!!

Scotso
03-29-2004, 02:08 AM
GET ON WITH THE KILLING! :fiery:

calimero
03-29-2004, 02:18 AM
please go rogi!!!! please beat him!!

Denise
03-29-2004, 02:32 AM
I think Roggi was totally honest about what he thinks about the match with Rafa, and his expectations. I indeed liked what he said. Anyways, Rafa has his changes as someone else. Hope he'll surprise us a bit his week. Btw, as someone said here before, Rafa it's not really prepared to win... but if he wins he'll gonna get lot "credits", and maybe will break the loads of victory of Roggi. I don't know if it'll be possible :rolleyes: Please, stop the sweden machine Rafa!!!!!!!!! ;)

congrats Becca for 10,000 posts :eek: I don't even get 100 lol.... i've a lot job from me :P I will get this mark!!!!

MisterQ
03-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Nadal won the first set 6-3!

J. Corwin
03-29-2004, 02:47 AM
well Rafa won the 1 set...hmmm...could happen

Billabong
03-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Nadal is serving incredibly well, he's dominating this match so far :eek:!

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Rafa is serving at an incredible 86% Fed is only getting half of his 1st serves in.

Billabong
03-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Rogi doesn't have a break point yet in the whole match :eek:! That shows how well Nadal is serving tonight!

GOOOO FED:D!!!

Ray
03-29-2004, 03:11 AM
The Thought never even crossed my minof Federer losing against Nadal :)
But I'm beginning to wonder now that Nadal won the first set and he broke him 2nd set just now 4-2 Nadal. He might just pull this off

Xin
03-29-2004, 03:13 AM
Just look at the net point won by both. Rogi is 46%, Nadal is 91% I guess Nada is feeding passing shots to Rogi

Xin
03-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Yeah, very likely this's gonna to happen. Rogi just had one more error than winner. Before he's having positive numbers
Is Rogi sick? But still, Nadal must be playing brilliantly

Havok
03-29-2004, 03:19 AM
We all are awaiting Rafa's big breakthrough. Will it come by beating Roger on "Upset Sunday" at Miami?

This could happen if 1) Roger continues to succumb to sickness 2) it's hot 3) there are no tiebreaks.

What do you think?
so Nadal might win because of the heat:scratch: unless it's heat like the womens finals AO 02, heat shouldn't really be a factor :retard:. and i don't understand your no tie-break statement

Xin
03-29-2004, 03:23 AM
It's all over. Nadal won and by far. Rogi ends up error = winner Nadal is more aggressive I guess, one more error than winner and great net approaches. Rogi didn't dare to go to net anymore towards the end.

Billabong
03-29-2004, 03:27 AM
6-3, 6-3 :eek:! and Nadal didn't face a single break point!
Congrats Rafa!

Better luck next time Rogi:)!

faboozadoo15
03-29-2004, 03:27 AM
so Nadal might win because of the heat:scratch: unless it's heat like the womens finals AO 02, heat shouldn't really be a factor :retard:. and i don't understand your no tie-break statementheat and humidity are a huge factor when one of the players is sick.

but well done from nadal! still tought to make it happen and close out.

get well soon roger!

undomiele
03-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Swimming with the dolphins helped I guess ;)

Havok
03-29-2004, 03:29 AM
what kind of sickness did he have? i knew he threw up and stuff, but he said that happened a few days before his opening match at Miami

Kiara
03-29-2004, 03:29 AM
:woohoo: what a day for RAF!

WyveN
03-29-2004, 03:32 AM
Great win for Nadal - it is really impressive how he raises his game for the real big matches.
Gives a big hint that he is not just a talent with a weak mind *cough*Safin*cough*

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 03:34 AM
so Nadal might win because of the heat:scratch: unless it's heat like the womens finals AO 02, heat shouldn't really be a factor :retard:. and i don't understand your no tie-break statement

I stand by my statements Duckster bow to me as I have the gift prophesy

Now, if it weren't the heat, warm weather and illness aren't necessarily a good mix So maybe not heat, but the two other definitely Nadal has a piss poor TB record, if Roger could have gotten into tiebreaks he would have won, but as you see, Nadal listened to me :D

Sjengster
03-29-2004, 03:55 AM
the only way rafa will upset roger will be by not shaking hands after defeat or being rude in post match press conference.

if i am wrong then i will have a big slice of humble pie and go in "last thing you ate" forum thread on non tennis forum lol

raf is an undoubted talent but not ready yet for knocking fed out of nasdaq.

Ahem... one slice or two? ;)

TheBoiledEgg
03-29-2004, 03:58 AM
WOW Rafa :D :)

Now he's beaten the current No1, now Carlos can relax as he's not the best player he's beaten :o

we better see this tomorrow on the highlights just b4 live action starts.

Havok
03-29-2004, 03:58 AM
I stand by my statements Duckster bow to me as I have the gift prophesy

Now, if it weren't the heat, warm weather and illness aren't necessarily a good mix So maybe not heat, but the two other definitely Nadal has a piss poor TB record, if Roger could have gotten into tiebreaks he would have won, but as you see, Nadal listened to me :D
ah, i didn't know Nadal was a horrible TB player. that clears it up. and about the illness, I though that Federer WAS sick, as opposed to IS currently sick. my bad:o but your statement is all clear now, thanks;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-29-2004, 04:00 AM
To be fair, I didn't think Nadal would win either. But I don't have any coverage this week, so how should I have known how Fed was playing?

TF, I don't think Nadal is bad in tiebreaks. He's just not good in them when he faces experienced players like Nokak or Hewitt, because his shot selection isn't always the greatest. But I think that he's pretty fair against lower ranked players.

tangerine_dream
03-29-2004, 04:01 AM
Congrats to Rafael! :D

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 04:08 AM
Becca, his career tb record is 6-12

J. Corwin
03-29-2004, 04:09 AM
great win for Rafa...wow, I come back and he wins

Kiara
03-29-2004, 04:12 AM

:eek: really? I think for 2004 alone he's played a hell of alot of tiebreaks and he's won about as many as he's lost I think.

Denise
03-29-2004, 04:16 AM
6-3, 6-3 :eek:! and Nadal didn't face a single break point!
Congrats Rafa!

Better luck next time Rogi:)!

LOL. that's unbelivable, :eek: :eek: :eek: but wonderful!! Well done Rafa ;) He must had played pretty well, waw..... no break points against???? woow it proved his potential, right?? :eek: btw, Does roggi lost after how many victories??? 22??

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 04:17 AM
btw, Does roggi lost after how many victories??? 22??

According to the ATP site, it was 12 (in a row since he lost to Tim in Rotterdam I assume)

Chloe le Bopper
03-29-2004, 04:20 AM
Interesting. I can tell you where about 6 of those losses came from: Younes at the USO, Llleyton in Australia, and Novak in DC.

J. Corwin
03-29-2004, 04:21 AM
Deb...I see that you've broken the 10k mark with ur posts. ;) :)

Denise
03-29-2004, 04:21 AM
ah, i didn't know Nadal was a horrible TB player. that clears it up. and about the illness, I though that Federer WAS sick, as opposed to IS currently sick. my bad:o but your statement is all clear now, thanks;)

I don't believe Roggi was sick. Maybe he doesn't played that bad. But Rafa played much better. Besides, it's very typical this kind of reaction... why not give to Rafa all the credits??

Yonge
03-29-2004, 04:25 AM
Better late than never.....

Vamos Rafael!!!!!!!! :worship: :bounce: :bigclap: :banana:

Denise
03-29-2004, 04:28 AM
According to the ATP site, it was 12 (in a row since he lost to Tim in Rotterdam I assume)

Ohh... thank you :D
I thought Roggi could had 22 victories lol.... just for curiousity :rolleyes:

Nadal 6-12 this year?? Indeed it's very interesting.

Shy
03-29-2004, 04:30 AM
I don't believe Roggi was sick. Maybe he doesn't played that bad. But Rafa played much better. Besides, it's very typical this kind of reaction... why not give to Rafa all the credits??

Even if Roger is sick,it is not a discredit to Rafa. I mean Davydenko couldn't win against a sick Roger. So, sick or not, all the credits to Rafa.

Denise
03-29-2004, 04:36 AM
Better late than never..... Vamos Rafael!!!!!!!! :worship: :bounce: :bigclap: :banana:

:haha: What do u meant with that?? LOL.

Btw, bunk18bsb... did u count Roggi's victories after he lost against Tim?? I mean, his next match... till the match from today?? Yeah, I guess I remember this match in rotterdam. :confused:

finalmente Rafa!!! Finally someone wins over Rogi Nariz... haha :D

Ray
03-29-2004, 04:39 AM
I'm VERY speechless :)

Yonge
03-29-2004, 04:44 AM
:haha: What do u meant with that?? LOL.

LOL! Yeah - I didn't make my self clear there. I meant my congratulations to Rafael was a bit late - NOT Roger getting beaten (it's never too late to beat the #1 player). :D

heya
03-29-2004, 04:45 AM
sliced Ninja- Fried Potato- Stewed Oaf, up next Polished Baldy

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 04:50 AM
Btw, bunk18bsb... did u count Roggi's victories after he lost against Tim?? I mean, his next match... till the match from today?? Yeah, I guess I remember this match in rotterdam. :confused:

I didn't.... I read you the stat off the ATP site LOL

heya
03-29-2004, 05:01 AM
Even if Roger is sick,it is not a discredit to Rafa. I mean Davydenko couldn't win against a sick Roger. So, sick or not, all the credits to Rafa.
Ninja God was at 30% again. :devil:
Karate Kid Nadal managed to avoid coughing away the match.
Davydenko choked in Miami,
as Gaudio 6-4 3-6 7-5 did in Montreal
and Scott Draper 4-6 6-3 7-6(10) did in Cincinnati

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 05:17 AM
Nadal Upsets Federer at Nasdaq-100 Open
48 minutes ago Add Sports - AP to My Yahoo!

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - Roger Federer could only watch 17-year-old Rafael Nadal celebrate.

As the Spaniard closed in on an upset, he flexed his biceps following one point and leaped behind the baseline after another. And when Nadal put away a volley to complete the biggest victory of his young life, he danced and punched the air.

With a brilliant variety of shotmaking, the big-swinging left-hander from Mallorca beat the top-ranked Federer 6-3, 6-3 in the third round of the Nasdaq-100 Open.

"I was afraid he could win 6-1, 6-1," Nadal said. "I played almost perfect tennis."

Federer, the reigning Wimbledon (news - web sites) and Australian Open (news - web sites) champion, lost for only the second time in 25 matches this year. The loss was an upset but no fluke: Nadal has been touted as a future top-10 player and showed himself worthy of the hype.

"He hit some really incredible shots, and that's what youngsters do," Federer said. "I've heard a lot about him and saw some of his matches, so this is not a big surprise."

Nadal, the nephew of a professional soccer player, did everything but kick the ball over the net. He smacked winners from both sides, won 13 points at the net and closed out one game with a nifty crosscourt drop shot that brought a roar from the crowd.

When asked about the reaction to result back home, Nadal laughed.

"Right now it's 4 a.m. in Spain and everybody's sleeping," he said. "Maybe tomorrow I'll start getting some calls."

Scotso
03-29-2004, 05:21 AM
I hate to say I told ya so but... uh... I did :D hehe

anyway, great win Rafael! you deserve it!

MisterQ
03-29-2004, 05:22 AM
Nadal

dainty little thing, isn't he :lol:

Action Jackson
03-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Congratulations Raffa on a great win, you never know he might be the Spanish player might that becomes known in the US.

No excuses for Federer, the very simple conclusion he was outplayed and hopefully some of the more militant Fed fans can wake up and acknowledge that he can be beaten.

Kiara
03-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Nadal

:lol: puny really!

faboozadoo15
03-29-2004, 05:30 AM
nice win for nadal! keep on going now!

get well soon roger, enjoy the indian wells and get your damn health back for clay. yur gonna need it!

Denise
03-29-2004, 05:59 AM
I didn't.... I read you the stat off the ATP site LOL

LOL. Oh I forgot it, you're indeed very smart!! :haha:

Oki, I will figure out about it in the ATP site... i'm not sayin' you're wrong, LOL. i'll just take a look :P

grazie again:P

Denise
03-29-2004, 06:04 AM
LOL! Yeah - I didn't make my self clear there. I meant my congratulations to Rafael was a bit late - NOT Roger getting beaten (it's never too late to beat the #1 player). :D

I undestand it now. LOL. Of course it's never too late to beat the number#1 ;) Gosh. I still don't believe it happened!!! Am i still sleeping??? Can somebory pinch me?? :haha:

Denise
03-29-2004, 06:13 AM

Poor Davydenko...:awww:
I'm pretty sure Roggi could win against Davy, not only sick, but with crutches LOL!!!!!!:lol::rolls:

Ok, u don't discredit Rafa, I get it ;) Gosh, he must thinkin' his da hero!!! NINJA GUY!

WyveN
03-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Karate Kid Nadal managed to avoid coughing away the match.
Davydenko choked in Miami,
as Gaudio 6-4 3-6 7-5 did in Montreal
and Scott Draper 4-6 6-3 7-6(10) did in Cincinnati

Or like Fed against Roddick in Montreal ;)

Denise
03-29-2004, 06:21 AM
Nadal

hahaha.... i'm afraid :scared: very dainty for sure!!

Oki, Let's make a toast Rafa LOL!!! :drink:

thx Rafa :woohoo:

Dirk
03-29-2004, 06:29 AM
Roger came back in the Gaudio match by nailing a bunch of winners. No choke there.

Mrs. B
03-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Congrats to Rafael! Didn't see the match but wouldn't be surprised. ;) :worship:

Roger, have a good rest and get ready for DC. Back to back titles in the deserts, great month you've had! Proud of you, Schätzli. You'll always be my #1. :kiss:

Lady
03-29-2004, 03:21 PM
I have seen a couple of points of this match in Eurosport News, and I was just :eek: Wow!! Rafa played incredibly good!

Scotso
03-29-2004, 03:36 PM
R. NADAL/R. Federer
6-3, 6-3

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: If you have questions in English for Rafael, he'll answer in Spanish and I'll translate for him.

Q. How does it feel to beat the No. 1 seed?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I'm very happy because I played one of the best matches in my life. Obviously, he didn't play his best tennis and that's the reason why I could win. I mean, if he had played his best tennis, I would have had no chance. (he's so humble)

But that's what happens in tennis. If a player like me plays at a very, very good level and a top player like Roger doesn't play his best tennis, I can win.

But, sure, I'm really, really happy.

Q. (Inaudible)?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I played almost perfect tennis today because I was playing inside the court, dominating the exchanges and pressing him so he couldn't play his game. But one thing I forgot, I served extremely well today, probably I never served like this in my life. That was really the key.

Q. Everybody seems to be afraid to play Federer. You did not look like you were afraid.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I mean, I was afraid that he could win 6-1, 6-1 or 6-1, 6-2 but I was really looking forward to playing this match because I was playing against the No. 1 player in the world.

I went on court with a positive attitude, not with the attitude of, "Oh, let's try and win one game."

Q. How would you describe your playing style?

RAFAEL NADAL: When I play well, I'm a very aggressive player with a good forehand and I fight very hard on the court.

Q. Technically and tactically, what was the key of the match? How did you approach this match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I knew that the most important point was that I couldn't let him play his own game, because if he can play his own game, he wins 6-1, 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 like it's happening this year and it's never happened in tennis before.

So from the first point I knew that I had to dictate the exchange for him not to be able to play his game.

Q. How do you organize your day for practicing, for tactics of the matches if you are just on your own?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm here with somebody, I'm here with Jofre Porta, who usually is with Carlos Moya, but Carlos Moya, he's here with Joan Bosch. I'm here with somebody that helps me.

At the same time, before every match, I call my uncle and so we speak about the match.

Q. As you said, you served very well today. Did you change anything on your serve since last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's mostly that every match I try to hit my serve harder, and, you know, every match I play, because I think that's how you can improve yourself; you have to be more aggressive and go for it.

That's the key. Obviously, I know I've changed my movement a little bit, but that's the key, going for it more. Like, for instance, last week, I served at 6-5 against Calleri in the third set, and I didn't serve hard, I served like slowly, and I lost it. So that's the key really.

Q. The way you played tonight, it suggests that you're not the kind of player who's going to be afraid of playing on any surface, whether it's hard court, clay, even grass. Is that your goal, to be playing on all the surfaces well?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I've always said that I'm the kind of player that can play well on all surfaces. I played well on grass last year. I played well on hard court outdoors. I play well on clay, obviously, because I'm used to it; I grew up on clay. And maybe I didn't play well last year indoors, but it was mostly because it was the end of the year and, you know, I was little bit tired. It was my first year, and I was a little bit tired at the end of the year. If you're not in very good shape physically and mentally, you cannot compete at this level.

Q. Last year when you lost to El Aynaoui at the US Open, you said you didn't feel you belonged to that top level of tennis and that was the reason why you had lost. What's the difference now?

RAFAEL NADAL: Definitely, this year I have much more confidence and I know that I can play at that level, that I belong to the higher level of players.

Obviously, last year I was winning my matches because I was fighting very hard. This is the same this year, but I'm also winning because I raised my level and I believe I belong to the top.

Q. Do you think you could play that kind of level in a match in a Grand Slam tournament, the best-of-five sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I've only played like Wimbledon and I got to the third round, and then US Open I got to the second round and then in Australia I lost to Hewitt in three sets.

So I only need to play Paris, which I haven't played before, and that's different there because it's clay courts.

But I think that physically I'm not such a bad player.

Q. This is a result that's going to reverberate around the world. Do you think your mobile phone will be pretty busy with calls tonight, congratulations?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, not right now because it's 4 a.m. in Spain so everybody's sleeping. Tomorrow, the papers won't have this news.

But, yeah, maybe Internet and on the teletext I will start getting some calls.

Q. You lost last year to Gonzalez, so what do you think about that match and tomorrow's match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure, I lost against him and it was in Stuttgart. I thought I played a good match, one of the best matches up to that point in my career. It was the first time that I played against somebody who hit the ball so hard. He was doing everything. I was just running around.

I played well to win the second set, and then I lost in three sets.

But I think tomorrow is going to be different because now I'm used to these kind of players.

Q. Your win today and Monaco's win over Guga yesterday were the same matches - you showed you're young players, hitting the ball very hard and dominating the other players. Is that the tennis of the future, and if your style of play doesn't work, do you have anything else to fall back on?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't think that Monaco or I discovered the world, because that's actually the way tennis players are playing right now, like Ferrero, Moya, Federer, Safin, you know, hitting the ball very hard. I'm particularly happy for Monaco because he's played well this year, especially in Buenos Aires and Brazil and here. I've known him quite well because he was training in Spain, so I've known him since the time he was playing futures in Spain.

Q. How important was it for you to play Davis Cup this year? How did it help you believe you are part of the top players?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's true. Davis Cup was one of the best, if not the best experience so far. I was there, I lost my first two points, and then I won the last and it was just unbelievable. Obviously, now we have this match coming up in Mallorca. I would like to play again. But in Spain we have a lot of good players - Ferrero, Moya, who are ahead of me.

I'm hoping to play maybe in the doubles, but the team is going to be announced on Tuesday.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...

star
03-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Federer's interview was very nice also.

lsy
03-29-2004, 04:11 PM
yes star, both Rafael and Rogi are very nice. One young and very humble while the other is just direct enough to say he lost to a better player today.

Tennis Fool
03-29-2004, 06:30 PM
I went on court with a positive attitude, not with the attitude of, "Oh, let's try and win one game."

Obviously, last year I was winning my matches because I was fighting very hard. This is the same this year, but I'm also winning because I raised my level and I believe I belong to the top.

I like his attitude :D

J. Corwin
03-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Good interview

plum_juice10
03-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Well done Nadal! Its a good accomplishment beating the number 1 in the world. Good on you!

alexito
03-29-2004, 07:03 PM
yesssssssssssss, federer outttttttttttttt

heya
03-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Choke Master Gaudio played so timidly, his grandpa could break his serve in Montreal.
I'm sure the 2nd set choke by Roddick's terrible playing at 3-4, 40-0, made a few Fed lovers feel like Fed choked later on. ;)
Good to know that Fed will have to defend a lot more points. :devil:

Fumus
06-02-2005, 07:17 PM
*bump*

Scotso
06-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Funny that a lot of people just don't learn. See the same "Nadal has no chance" even now.

alfonsojose
06-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Roddick would have beat Nadal in straights on RG. He was ready and has improved a lot on clay

oneandonlyhsn
06-03-2005, 02:12 AM
Roddick would have beat Nadal in straights on RG. He was ready and has improved a lot on clay

Are you being serious or just sarcastic man, I really cant tell :shrug: .

Scotso
06-03-2005, 03:12 AM
No one could say that and mean it.

mp3junkie
06-03-2005, 03:21 AM
No more upsets please!!!!!

What do you mean? Nadal is every bit capable of beating Federer.