all our Brazilian friends!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

all our Brazilian friends!!

tegan
03-28-2004, 10:04 PM
is everyone okay?!

i just heard about the cyclone. all of you guys - please check in and let us know that you are alright. :confused:

isn't this the area that Guga is from?

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Reuters) - A rare cyclone bringing howling winds and rain to southern Brazil killed at least one person and made more than 3,000 homeless overnight, civil defense officials said on Sunday.

Civil Defense Capt. Marcio Luiz Alves said some 3,000 people in the southern state of Santa Catarina had to abandon their homes damaged or destroyed by winds, rain or waves. In neighboring Rio Grande do Sul state, 150 families were made homeless, state authorities said.

MisterQ
03-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh wow, I heard about this, that it was a very rare weather phenomenon. But I didn't know about all the damage.

yes I hope all the Brazilians members are doing OK!

star
03-29-2004, 12:05 AM
is everyone okay?!

i just heard about the cyclone. all of you guys - please check in and let us know that you are alright. :confused:

isn't this the area that Guga is from?

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (Reuters) - A rare cyclone bringing howling winds and rain to southern Brazil killed at least one person and made more than 3,000 homeless overnight, civil defense officials said on Sunday.

Civil Defense Capt. Marcio Luiz Alves said some 3,000 people in the southern state of Santa Catarina had to abandon their homes damaged or destroyed by winds, rain or waves. In neighboring Rio Grande do Sul state, 150 families were made homeless, state authorities said.

He lives on an island off the coast of Santa Catarina.

Thanks for the info..

star
03-29-2004, 12:09 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/03/28/storm.brazil.ap/

And while thousands are homeless the Brazilians and the USians are having a little spat about whether it was a hurricane.

star
03-29-2004, 12:23 AM
http://www.santa-catarina.net/staat.htm

Here you see the island of Florianapolis... with the capitol Florianópolis. It is just to the north of Laguna where it sounds as if most of the damage occured. The island is 51 km long. So that gives you some scale.

Billabong
03-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the link Christina :kiss:!

Denise
03-29-2004, 02:46 AM
Gosh. I heared it... that's horrible. I live a lil bit far away from Santa Catarina (in south) I live in the middle of Brazil, Brasilia. Well, this is indeed a rare weather phenomenon, I never saw this so close of me. :eek:

In Santa Catarina 2 people died and 12 has dessapeared, 20.000 houses were atacked, from these houses 500 were complety destroyed. 71.000 people unfortunately has their houses destoyed or somehow has something to loosen.

HOPE ALL THE BRAZILIAN MEMBERS ARE OKI.

Denise
03-29-2004, 02:53 AM
He lives on an island off the coast of Santa Catarina.

Thanks for the info..

hi again

Yeah, Guga lives in Santa Catarina but he must be ok because he lives in Floripa, a island, not these small cities which were atacked of the cyclone: "Maracajá", "Balneário" "Gaivota" and "Arroio do Silva". "Sombrio" and Rincão".

thx for the info too. :p

tegan
03-29-2004, 03:51 PM
really glad that you are ok, Denise_v! i hope anyone else in Brazil that lives close to that area is safe. :)

Cris
03-30-2004, 01:57 AM
What happened in Southern Brazil was terrible. :sad: :sad: :sad:
Here in Rio, it's everything ok, just raining. Hope all brazilian posters are fine. :)

BRAtilio
04-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Im fine :)

tegan
04-02-2004, 01:00 PM
where do you live Bratilio? there have been no other reports since the initial mention here. how are things going for the cleanup and aid for those left homeless? :confused: