6th straight set loss...Mark when will it end? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

6th straight set loss...Mark when will it end?

flip_fan
03-28-2004, 06:10 AM
Another tournament, and another straight set loss to a player who shouldnt be a problem... what is going on with mark philippoussis?

anyone care to share thoughts?

does anyone think marks heading down the same path agassi did when he hooked up with brooke shields?? i dont want to blame delta goodrem (his famous aussie pop singer g/f) but i cant help but noticed his game hasnt been the same since.

but theres also other issues such as marks coach, nick philippoussis, who im sure knows alot about marks game, but i question how he deals with change because marks game hasnt changed that much over the yrs and things like an inconsistant 1st serve, a weak 2nd serve and return of serve have dogged mark for sometime now and theres been nothing done to fix it!

mark needs change and he needs it quick. he's working on his fitness which is good, but mental and technique issues need to be addressed.

has anyone heard marks after-match interview... im extremely interested to hear his thoughts on his form and whats going to be done to turn this embarrassing slump around.

henree
03-28-2004, 06:26 AM
I'm shocked myself. Wasn't this a qualifier he lost to. :confused:
The only things I think could be his problem is his fitness and his dad. I am a strong believer that parents as coaches are a bad thing. The best coaches in my opinion are those who have at least played competitive tennis. These types of coaches can see the problem in ones game and isolete it and fix it. Mark has stagnated. The reason why I brought up his fitness is because he has lost some weight. During his wonderful run during Wimbledon he had some musculature about him. Specifically his legs were totally sculptured. Nowadays his legs are skinny. And we all know how important having strong legs are for setting up shots, and movement.

Fedex
03-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Going down the same path as Shuettler, eh Mark?? :( And obviously the fast approaching clay season wont help any

Smankyou
03-28-2004, 06:34 AM
His heart isn't in it.

EDiT: I agree when you say he needs a better coach. Nick Poo just doesn't cut it. But he goes through coaches like he does underwear. He's not the most co-operative fella.

WyveN
03-28-2004, 06:41 AM
This is a shame but he only has himself to blame, he just doesn't care. He has been playing with the same "who cares" attitude ever since he lost to Arazi.
If he gets motivated he can work himself out of this but who knows if he wants to?

CmonAussie
03-28-2004, 09:03 AM
* This loss is so disappointing-->> Mark seems trapped in a funel of bad play; of course the Delta relationship may be distracting him, his Dad probably isn't the best coach for him, he's lost a little confidence, his legs aren't as strong as they should be but but but BUT..... he still should have won today's match.

#@_@# If Poo is fair dinkum about getting back on track to last year's Wimbledon form then my suggestion is that he should swallow his pride & drop back down to Challenger tournaments for a few weeks-->> atleast that way he can get some confidence from winning matches & remember how to play competitively.
~~~ Agassi is the only top player I can think of that actually took the tough decision to try his game in the Challenger circuit in 1997 & look what happened after that-->> 1998 he won 5-tournaments & Top-5 Ranking, 1999 ~~ 2-Slams & NO.1 finally!!

Mark just get your act together man & try the Challenger circuit in order to turn your game around before RG & Wimbledon.

joeb_uk
03-28-2004, 02:13 PM
lol i didnt know about delta. damn how old is she ? 17/19? what about mark?

Snoopy_Girl
03-28-2004, 03:00 PM
She's 19, he is 27, I thought. And I really don't wanna blame her either. But it does seem to be going down down down with his game ever since they publicly hooked up at the week before the Aussie Open...

Only good thing about the upcoming clay season is that he can't loose too many points...

Experimentee
03-28-2004, 03:15 PM
I think its ridiculous to blame Delta, the Aussie media were ripping that relationship ever since he lost to Arazi, some people blamed Delta for keeping him up the night before, but it turns out she went to bed at 9pm :tape:
I'm sure Mark has had girlfriends before, he should know how to handle tennis and relationships. He's just in a slump and its just a coincidence his current gf is Delta. It seems too simplistic and convenient to blame her.

Snoopy_Girl
03-28-2004, 03:20 PM
I hope it is a coincidence. I don't wanna blame her, and certainly not her as a person. It's just that it's all so hyped up and everybody is/was so on top if them, wanted to know everything, following every move they make. That might be distracting and annoying for him too. But I'm just a dumb tennis watching girl, I don't know how this could've happened, I don't know what he has to do and I have no well-meant advice for him. There is just something terribly wrong with his game and his confidence and now for him the hard task to get it all back together. And soon too, if he wants to stay somewhere near the top 10...

Leo
03-28-2004, 05:33 PM
That's such crap to blame the girlfriend. I think it's pretty apparent that the real problem is Mark's head and heart. He doesn't have that same passion as he did at Wimbledon last year. Now comes the clay season which will be even more problematic for him - I doubt he'll make a single quarterfinal. And then he'll enter the grass season with no confidence and a whole heap of points to defend. He can say goodbye to the top 15 soon enough.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-28-2004, 09:30 PM
im absolutely loving phillipossis' bad form. despite the fact he's playing so badly right now the bookies still insist on giving him ridiculous odds so ive been cashing in big time :D

Havok
03-28-2004, 09:47 PM
he's on a 6 match loosing streak? or his past 6 loses have all been straight sets???:scratch:

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 09:51 PM
He's not into the game. He has to want to fight for every single point. His low confidence isn't helping either and I think this will result in a snowball effect.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Here's his results since the AO

AO 4th Rnd
R16 Arazi, Hicham (MAR ) 44 2-6 2-6 4-6

AUS v. SWE WG 1st RD, Australia
DC, 2/6/2004, O, Hard , Draw: 4
RR Enqvist, Thomas (SWE ) N/A 3-6 4-6 2-6
RR Bjorkman, Jonas (SWE ) N/A 5-7 2-6 2-6

Dubai, U.A.E.
International Series Gold, 3/1/2004, O, Hard , Draw: 32
R32 Rochus, Olivier (BEL ) 115 2-6 6-7(10)

Indian Wells TMS, California, USA
Tennis Masters Series, 3/8/2004, O, Hard , Draw: 96
R128 Bye, () 0
R64 Youzhny, Mikhail (RUS ) 34 6-7(5) 5-7

And then yesterday where he lost in straights..... so actually.... it's BOTH six matches AND all straight sets.

SaFed2005
03-28-2004, 10:03 PM
im absolutely loving phillipossis' bad form. despite the fact he's playing so badly right now the bookies still insist on giving him ridiculous odds so ive been cashing in big time :D

LMAO !!!!
:rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 10:14 PM
thanks Deb. wow

Mimi
03-29-2004, 08:54 AM
:sad:

azza
03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
the only good thing is that only 1st round points next year :) :sad: