Sjeng was disqualified !!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sjeng was disqualified !!!

KarstenBraasch#1
03-28-2004, 01:45 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNDU1cml1BF9TAzk1ODYyNTg0BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-nasdaq-100open&prov=ap&type=lgns

Schalken was defaulted for the first time in his 13-year career for verbal abuse trailing Guillermo Canas 6-1, 3-0.

:o What did he say?

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Sjengster, your man thought he was McEnroe, LOL

tangerine_dream
03-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Schalken pulling an Agassi? Get out! :eek:

But I thought players were supposed to be given code warnings first before being disqualified?

star
03-28-2004, 01:58 AM
Sjeng :eek:

I mean you get a warning, a point penalty, and a game penalty before a dq.

star
03-28-2004, 01:58 AM
All I can say is................. Be careful Andy! ;)

Fedex
03-28-2004, 02:02 AM
All I can say is................. Be careful Andy! ;)
Took those words right out of my mouth.

MisterQ
03-28-2004, 02:03 AM
OMG!

WyveN
03-28-2004, 02:11 AM
Sjeng doesn't strike me as the type for wild outbursts

heya
03-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Evil Sjeng! :devil: *heart breaks

Nan Cu
03-28-2004, 02:33 AM
Sjengster, your man thought he was McEnroe, LOL

ROTFLMAO

denim
03-28-2004, 02:41 AM
you just cant do it and get away with it......unless.....your name is rusedski and your playing roddick at wimbledon 2003.

Nan Cu
03-28-2004, 02:45 AM
Sth?

star
03-28-2004, 02:47 AM
This will be an eagerly awaited post match interview

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 02:54 AM
Will he do one :confused: I mean, I wouldn't. Just take the fine and go down with the ship.

star
03-28-2004, 02:55 AM
He may have a story that he wants to tell.

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Or sell :devil:

Action Jackson
03-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Schalken disqualified at Nasdaq-100 Open
Sun 28 March, 2004 04:15

By Eleanor Preston

MIAMI, March 27 (Reuters) - Dutchman Sjeng Schalken was disqualified from the Nasdaq-100 Open on Saturday after losing his temper in a second-round match against Guillermo Canas and hurling a volley of abuse at the chair umpire.

Number 13 seed Schalken, who had an exemplary disciplinary record before the match, was defaulted for verbal abuse with Argentine Canas leading 6-1 3-0.

Frustrated by his display, Schalken hit a ball high into the stands over Irish umpire Fergus Murphy's head. He received a warning for ball abuse and his heated reaction, which included foul language, earned him disqualification.

"It was all very strange," Canas told reporters. "I was very surprised because I've known him for years and he is normally such a quiet, nice guy on the court and off the court.

"I think he was bit unlucky with the umpire but he made a mistake and I think he knew he had to pay."

The ATP will launch an investigation into the incident before deciding whether to take further action.

But Schalken will automatically lose his $10,350 prize money and will have to pay his hotel bill, which would otherwise have been covered by the tournament.

He could also be fined a further $5,000.

JeLuliA88
03-28-2004, 04:03 AM
Sjeng??? Going spastic? Doesn't sound like him.

azza
03-28-2004, 04:04 AM
Sjeng :o

Yonge
03-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Tim abusing a ball boy (???) and now Sjeng disqualified?... For verbal abuse??!! What, is the moon not properly aligned with Jupiter or something? It's been a strange week. :confused:

MisterQ
03-28-2004, 04:32 AM
Tim abusing a ball boy (???) and now Sjeng disqualified?... For verbal abuse??!! What, is the moon not properly aligned with Jupiter or something? It's been a strange week. :confused:

Maybe it's this: ;)

Five planets offer rare spectacle
From correspondents in Cape Canaveral, Florida
March 24, 2004

FIVE planets are arrayed across the evening sky in a spectacular night show that won't be back for another three decades.

For the next two weeks, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - the five closest planets - should be easily visible at dusk, along with the moon.

"It's semi-unique," said Myles Standish, an astronomer at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "They're all on the same side of the sun and stretched across the sky and that's what is kind of pretty."

Standish missed last night's opportunity, but said today that he will gaze up when he walks his dog this week and next. He expects mountains and bright city lights to hamper his view, however.

The planetary lineup will be visible to the naked eye every night for an hour after sunset from around the world through early April. At the end of the year, the same five planets will reunite for a few weeks, but in the pre-dawn hours.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 05:03 AM
Um....

what?

:eek:

Wait a second.....

WHAT?????????

Daniel
03-28-2004, 07:27 AM
:o

TheBoiledEgg
03-28-2004, 07:57 AM
what's this ???
Stiffy came to life but not how you thought :eek:

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 10:13 AM
wowzers

Snoopy_Girl
03-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm curious if any of the Dutch media can squeeze the story out of him!

*Ljubica*
03-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Poor Sjeng - I find this so hard to believe - obviously I didn't see the match, but from what I've read he didn't do or say any worse than many other players have got away with in the past. Someone has already mentioned Rusedski at Wimbledon last year, - and what about Roddick's 5 minute tirade against Van Lottum recently? Oh - and before anyone thinks I'm being anti-Roddick here, I know David isn't exactly blameless in the temper tantrum department either! So what on earth did poor Sjeng do? Even Canas sounded bemused by it all.

Action Jackson
03-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Canas was very surprised, you see that's the problem he is Sjeng Schalken. They wouldn't have the balls to do this sort of thing consistently when a top player or someone local plays up.

The only thing they are consistent about is their inconsistency.

Nymeria
03-28-2004, 11:10 AM
I really was like :eek: when I read it this morning.

bovenbuuf
03-28-2004, 11:26 AM
This is what he said in his mail: "For everything there has to be a first time, I
was disqualified. But before you start to think about swearing, throw
away rackets, that wasn't it. I was playing well..... Lots of rallies
most of the time in his favor, but I thought I could change it, so I
didn't say anything…Second set,.. I walked back to the court, and
start to play another rally.. and guess what again point to Canas.
But Canas is playing the ball back to me, and out of frustration I
hit the ball back, and the ball is going 20 meters above the had of
the umpire. He gives me a warning. but when I was hitting the ball I
looked at it and told to my self F*** you, but the umpire thought it
was for him, so head umpire came and I had to leave the court

So If I just had shouted something Dutch, without the you or had my
head down than I still would have played.

Consequence no points this week, no money and he has to pay 5000
dollar, so guess this are the most expensive 2 words of my live"

Action Jackson
03-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that bovenbuuf it was appreciated, and yes that was an expensive 2 words. I mean if that was a top 10 player they would get away with that, I just wish they were consistent and the same penalties get handed out for the same thing.

TheBoiledEgg
03-28-2004, 12:38 PM
the thing is its not like it was a close match or anything..... so even more suprising

Guille's Girl
03-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Wow that is odd! I would've never guessed. If the title of this thread was "Guess who got disqualified for cussing out the Umpire?", I wouldn't have guessed Sjeng. duh. But I guess I can believe his explanation. He's still a good guy.

-wokkel-
03-28-2004, 01:59 PM
This is what he said in his mail: "For everything there has to be a first time, I
was disqualified. But before you start to think about swearing, throw
away rackets, that wasn't it. I was playing well..... Lots of rallies
most of the time in his favor, but I thought I could change it, so I
didn't say anything…Second set,.. I walked back to the court, and
start to play another rally.. and guess what again point to Canas.
But Canas is playing the ball back to me, and out of frustration I
hit the ball back, and the ball is going 20 meters above the had of
the umpire. He gives me a warning. but when I was hitting the ball I
looked at it and told to my self F*** you, but the umpire thought it
was for him, so head umpire came and I had to leave the court

So If I just had shouted something Dutch, without the you or had my
head down than I still would have played.

Consequence no points this week, no money and he has to pay 5000
dollar, so guess this are the most expensive 2 words of my live"

:lol: A Dutch sport-reporter (Mart Smeets) is following him at the moment for a documentary... I can't wait to see it!

michelleg
03-28-2004, 02:04 PM
What I find most disconcerting is how the obscenity and decorum rules seem NOT to apply to certain players, as I have personally observed quite a few of them spewing same phrases in multiple languages, only to get warnings...

But this is the ATP we're talking about, not known for disciplinary consistency, never known for intelligence and certainly known for selling out its own players at the drop of a hat.

star
03-28-2004, 02:22 PM

March 24, 2004

FIVE planets are arrayed across the evening sky in a spectacular night show that won't be back for another three decades.

For the next two weeks, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - the five closest planets - should be easily visible at dusk, along with the moon.

"It's semi-unique," said Myles Standish, an astronomer at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "They're all on the same side of the sun and stretched across the sky and that's what is kind of pretty."

Standish missed last night's opportunity, but said today that he will gaze up when he walks his dog this week and next. He expects mountains and bright city lights to hamper his view, however.

The planetary lineup will be visible to the naked eye every night for an hour after sunset from around the world through early April. At the end of the year, the same five planets will reunite for a few weeks, but in the pre-dawn hours.

Mister Q!!!! You have found it!!

star
03-28-2004, 02:24 PM
I guess if there is an obsecenity directed at an umpire, it's an automatic DQ. I do agree with Michelle that if a player does all of this in a language the umpire doesn't understand, the player gets by with it.

Maybe Sjeng was trying to make the documentary interesting?

joeb_uk
03-28-2004, 02:26 PM
i havent seen the incident but from my own experience in football its pathetic, players get sent off for saying fuck, or wanker but then they try to break someones leg and nothing happens. so its not only tennis where foul language can be taken to far

star
03-28-2004, 02:36 PM
The rule seems to be that a disqualification will occur IF obscene language is directed to the umpire AND the umpire understands the language.

However.... usually one doesn not say f you to one's self. But since it's a foreign language for Sjeng, perhaps he did.

Experimentee
03-28-2004, 02:44 PM
LMAO Sjeng of all people! :haha:
He's showing the real bad boy in himself :devil:

Experimentee
03-28-2004, 02:57 PM
what's this ???
Stiffy came to life but not how you thought :eek:

That really made me laugh out loud :haha:

TheBoiledEgg
03-28-2004, 03:14 PM
and we all thought he was battery-operated ;)

KarstenBraasch#1
03-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Well, I have seen him throwing a tantrum before, so I'm not too shocked.
And I always found his glance a bit scary. :scared:

*Ljubica*
03-28-2004, 03:41 PM
What I find most disconcerting is how the obscenity and decorum rules seem NOT to apply to certain players, as I have personally observed quite a few of them spewing same phrases in multiple languages, only to get warnings...

But this is the ATP we're talking about, not known for disciplinary consistency, never known for intelligence and certainly known for selling out its own players at the drop of a hat.

Oh so true Michelle :worship:

Yonge
03-28-2004, 04:07 PM

March 24, 2004

LOL! I knew it! :D

Anyway, Sjeng, that's really too bad. I've seen players do worse than that and get away with it (not from fans though).

Leo
03-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Maybe his frustration due to continuously crappy play this year boiled over in this one instant. How surprising.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 05:25 PM
It sounds like players know what, if they say, will get them disqualified. Maybe the ATP/umps have favorites or maybe players like like Andy and David who complain to the umps a lot are very careful not to use obscenities AT the umps. If that's what gets someone defaulted and they don't do that, then no one's being favored. I mean yea Andy had a 5-minute tirade, but from what people have said in this thread, if he didn't swear at the ump, then there's nothing he would've been DQed for.

But still... Sjeng is like, the LAST person I'd have pictured hearing this about. when I read the article I had to take a double... no a triple take!!!

Sjengster
03-28-2004, 05:38 PM
Hmm, I think it's precisely because it wasn't a remotely close match that Schalken was getting so angry... that's the Canas Effect for you. TBE, you're like a one-man cabaret act with those one-liners, pure comedy gold. I certainly know all about Schalken's temper, at the AO last year he got a bad call which was apparently completely wrong on matchpoint down against Ancic and got fined for swearing at the umpire, then at Wimbledon against Lapentti served an ace which was called wide and after winning the point made an obscene gesture at the umpire and got a warning. So yes, there is most definitely a precedent here. The default was entirely deserved, and hey, it's not as though he's losing many points or prize money from this event, is he? It's his terrible form that worries me most at the moment.

TennisLurker
03-28-2004, 06:13 PM
I just hope Canas will beat irritating Malisse.

Aleksa's Laydee
03-28-2004, 06:23 PM
yeh me too! never liked xavier
but im really shocked at sjeng, iv seen him fiesty when hes winning but never been this bad tempered :eek:
hope he doesnt do it again and has learned from it!

tangerine_dream
03-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Welcome mardyfishfan :wavey:

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 10:09 PM
howdy mardyfishfan...welcome

thanks for the precedent lesson for Sjeng, Sjengster

heya
03-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Sjeng has a foul mouth that a yankee player can only dream about having! I'm dismayed.

michelleg
03-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Thanks for illuminating the issue in question.

I am so proud that you ffind it your patriotic duty to follow your "yankee tennis," yet might I suggest taking the volume off mute or adjusting your hearing aid?

UGH If this country taxed stupid comments by its citizens, we'd be in the black forever.

star
03-29-2004, 02:10 AM
Michelle....... I thought Heya was talking about a Yankee baseball player.... I didn't see that it had anything to do with patriotism, but maybe I misunderstood your post.

lol... and maybe misunderstood hers too!!

michelleg
03-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Star, I hope that to be the case....and if so, I stand duly reprimanded for picking a fight where none exists. (George, the influence you are having on me is really beginning to show!)

But I still think a stupidity tax seems to be a brilliant solution to the US budget crisis. :topic: silly me being non-sequitur again. sorry, mates!

Ray
03-29-2004, 04:33 AM
Hey I doubt anyone has any footage of this very exiting scene?
I would really love to see this.
I hate it that I always miss these great moments in tennis :)

Space Cowgirl
03-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Wow, Schalken losing the plot, that I would have liked to see!
I was watching Kiefer's match last night and he had a couple of goes at the linespeople for some dodgy calls. In the last game of the match he yelled out "Leck mich am Arsch" (kiss my butt) after missing a shot, that was quite funny!

star
03-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Leck mich am Arch... Lick my ass.

That's not very nice.

I saw Arthurs have a go at a linesperson that was very ugly. I was surprised because I hadn't expected that from him. The whole audience was quite put off by it. I dont' think he had any crowd support after that.

I think the worst thing a player can do is to yell at a linesperson because they are absolutely defensless. They can't answer back at all.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
star... of all the players I saw in Scottsdale, Arthurs was by far my least favorite (followed closely by Kiefer). Arthurs had THE MOST SOUR disposition, he was yelling at everyone who crossed his path!

star
03-29-2004, 02:36 PM
hmmmmmm

Maybe he's hormonal???

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 02:59 PM
hahaha maybe! I mean...... even his coach! His coach was sitting right in front of me and he scowled at him throughout the whole match too. Granted he lost something like 3 and 1 so he didn't have a whole lot to be happy about, but still.

joske
03-30-2004, 05:41 PM
:eek: oh dear...

tennischick
03-30-2004, 06:11 PM
gosh this is just too funny. i'm still in shock at the idea of Stiffy relaxing himself enuf ro cuss anyone. it must be a mistake...:angel:

sigmagirl91
03-30-2004, 06:14 PM
I thought it would be, too, tennischick. Guess this joke wasn't one after all....