When the going gets tough...Marat v Roger in difficult matches [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When the going gets tough...Marat v Roger in difficult matches

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Marat played a 3-setter against a player he should have beaten...and lost.

Roger played a 3-setter against a player he should have beaten...and won.

Both are mind-boggling talented and have been known to fly away mentally in matches.

In your opinion, what was the difference between Marat and Roger today :confused:

WyveN
03-28-2004, 02:17 AM
Well their opponents are a factor you know. Spadea is playing well and it was never going to be a easy match.

The obvious difference is that Roger has the winning feeling while Marat has lost a couple of real close ones lates.
Late in the deciding set, a lot of it is mental and Roger just had the confidence for a comeback while Marat didn't.
Davydenko probably got a bit nervous as he was on the verge of a major upset while Spadea knew he could beat Marat, he has had success against him in the past.

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 02:38 AM
When did Spadea ever play Marat? I think it was the first time.

WyveN
03-28-2004, 04:25 AM
yep sorry my mistake

Shy
03-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Roger is very confidence right now while Marat isn't.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 05:35 AM
Spadea may not have ever played Marat before, but he has had a couple of great wins recently, just won his first title in 223 tries and was brimming with confidence. I agree that you have to look at the opponent to say too.

And lest we forget, the two very very close matches that Marat won in Australia. He's still on his way back and is hitting a little rough patch, it doesn't seem like it should be a whole lot to worry about, at this point anyway.

WyveN
03-28-2004, 05:37 AM
Yes you only begin worrying when you reach Mark P stage

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 05:38 AM
hmmmm...... yes pretty much!!!! lol poor Mark :(

Dirk
03-28-2004, 08:15 AM
Roger was sick and was short on practice but found the champion within. Safin lost a close one. 1st rds are really tricky and tough. Vince has been a big fighter recently.

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Marat didn't have the confidence and his opponent did.
Roger had the confidence but his opponent probably didn't.

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Bunk, I agree that it's too early to really worry about Marat. And, IMHO, even Mark, who's been in worse situations than what he's has now. I think the one to worry about is Hewitt. He's just losing to anybody, the last year or so. Remember he was #1 at this time??? Maybe he's just out of shape.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with my fellow Marat watchers. They seem to want him to win every tournament he's in after going to the finals of the AO. I think our expections with him are a bit too high, IMHO. Maybe even his expections of himself are a bit unreasonable, LOL. Look for a turnaround in the clay season.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 09:53 PM
yea, TF, that's what I was trying to say... I suppose I can be at it from the perspective of not being emotionally attached to Marat's results. But, Andy has lost some close matches lately and sure it's disappointing but I don't feel like he's in some terrible slump... Marat's lost a few matches, it's nothing to be disappointed by. Considering how poor his first attempt at a comeback was late last season and how he came out in 2004 doing so well, his AO result sort of, maybe spoiled the fans and then expectations got to be really high or something. Like maybe if he'd only won 2 or 3 matches at the AO and then gone on to have the same results as he's had from then on, people might not have been upset but since he played so well and won so many tight matches and made the final, people expect him to do that every tourney now and that's just unfair to him I think lol. I'm sure he'll keep getting back to his top form little by little :)

WyveN
03-28-2004, 10:51 PM
The problem with Marat is he still hasn't proved he is over his mental demons - he can show that through some consistency instead of producing his best tennis so rarely

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 10:56 PM
As everyone says, he needs a coach.

But you Russians ;) can be head scratchers it seems. I say that because the Russian DC coach said Marat needed a Russian coach to "understand the Russian mind". Kafel also was a head scratcher.

Kiara
03-28-2004, 11:02 PM
The first half of 2000 was really rough on Marat he had about 7 first round losses and he lost most of the davis cup matches he was LOW on confidence he even thought about quitting tennis but he had one big win in Barcelona and that turned everything around he went on to win 6 other titles that year including the USO and even made number one, so all is not lost for him. He just needs a big win to get his confidence back. The clay season should be a good one for him, Im hoping he'll be able to repeat his success in Barcelona

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Yeah, the one time he was fined for tanking a match was AO 2000. LOL

Tennis Fool
03-28-2004, 11:04 PM
Plus, he couldn't quit tennis at 20. What else was he going to do with his life :p

Kiara
03-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Bunk, I agree that it's too early to really worry about Marat. And, IMHO, even Mark, who's been in worse situations than what he's has now. I think the one to worry about is Hewitt. He's just losing to anybody, the last year or so. Remember he was #1 at this time??? Maybe he's just out of shape.

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with my fellow Marat watchers. They seem to want him to win every tournament he's in after going to the finals of the AO. I think our expections with him are a bit too high, IMHO. Maybe even his expections of himself are a bit unreasonable, LOL. Look for a turnaround in the clay season.

No that isnt true, what we expect of him is to get back to his AO form and to play with the same purposefulness and determination as he did in Australia we're not asking him to win everthing in sight. It would be nice to see him with a little bit of backbone at the moment, he's so low on confidence.
at the stat of the year he was talking about getting to number one, and now all you hear is him drone on about how unlucky he is, it's disheartening.

Anyway I agree with you he's been in worse situations and he'll get through it.

Kiara
03-28-2004, 11:13 PM
Plus, he couldn't quit tennis at 20. What else was he going to do with his life :p

His plan was to own a club :p

seriously.