Why Did Juan Carlos Ferrero Spiral Out Of Control? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why Did Juan Carlos Ferrero Spiral Out Of Control?

Jaffas85
02-14-2007, 11:25 PM
How come Ferrero can't consistently produce the tennis he showed when he made the final of Cincinnati last year?

If he could do that he would be back inside the Top 10 and start reaching at least the Quarters of Grand Slams again.

How come he cannot be as consistent as he was between 2001 and mid 2004?

What exactly went wrong?

Thanks.

BTW, I didn't want to start a separate thread for this so I'll just ask here:

Will the Tennis Masters Cup final still be a best of five set match despite the fact all Masters Series events are now to be best of 3?

Thanks again.

Johnny Groove
02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Didn't he get the chickepox at some point? :scratch:

R.Federer
02-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Yes it was subsequent to the chicken pox attack. It's probably not due to that, not totally. You see players like Haas come back from injuries, and build confidence to reclaim their place in the top 10, top 20 and you do wonder how JCF has not been able to pick up again. It's really unfortunate.

Tennis Fool
02-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Both he and Hewitt went downhill after contracting the pox; while Blake went uphill after contracting shingles (minor form of pox).

Hmmmmm.

Sjengster
02-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Both he and Hewitt went downhill after contracting the pox; while Blake went uphill after contracting shingles (minor form of pox).

Hmmmmm.

The difference in outcome might have something to do with the difference in their respective quality before the illness struck, no? ;) For both Hewitt and Ferrero the only way to go was down, Blake had much room for improvement. Although come to think of it you're generalising to say the least, considering that Hewitt's attack of the pox came at the very start of 2002 - you know, the year where he won Wimbledon, defended the TMC and was ranked no. 1 every week of the year? ;)

R.Federer
02-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Lleyton reached two slam finas, a couple slam semis etc. after his attack. Ferrero never regained anything close to his previous form.

Blake and Haas recovering and doing as well or better than after injury just makes this all the more unfortunate that Ferrero has not been able to.

shotgun
02-14-2007, 11:57 PM
Maybe the fact that Blake and Haas went through much tougher times than Ferrero when they were out has something to do with it. More motivation to come back. Ferrero had already reached the top and won a Slam, like Sjengster said, it may be tough to find motivation when you know the only way to go is down.

aramis
02-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Well, first of all, his performance at Cincy was far from his best stuff. His movement is too sluggish nowadays, so the quality of his shots, especially his forehand, has crumbled. Most of his opponents at Cincy played like fools and couldn't keep a ball in play for more than three or four shots. But basically, his problems started early in 2004 when he got chicken pox. He rested for about a month and started playing again when his body was still weak from the illness. He took a lot of beatings the rest of the year from players he shouldn't have lost to. Lost in the 2nd round of RG where he was defending champ, so his confidence take a severe blow. He also suffered a rib injury while this was going on, so physically, for the rest of the year he was far from 100%. He kept playing tournaments anyway though, but he wasn't able to win more than two matches per week for the rest of the year. Confidence went down. Also, during the Davis Cup final that year, the captain placed Nadal in front of him at the last second to go against Roddick. What that bascially meant to him was that the captain didn't think he was good enough to beat Andy Roddick on clay in Spain. For a guy who was the clay court king recently, that must have hurt his morale.

In 2005 he tried switching racquets. People have different opinions on this, but I feel this hurt his groundstrokes. The power just wasn't there even though it looked like he was trying to crush the ball. The result was that he couldn't finish points or take control when he normally would. I can't remember how many times he couldn't take control of the point when his opponent gave him a clear opportunity to do so. He still seemed very motivated on the court and the exceptional movement was still there, just the power was missing. He nearly beat Federer that year and gave him a tough fight at Wimbledon, so he definitely improved.

2006 is what really confuses me, though. He's looked so apathetic on the court since then, and like I said, his movement is sluggish for some reason. He's not hitting the ball as crisp and smooth as he once did, and so even little guys like Rochus were able to overpower him from the baseline. Basically, I feel his problem may have started with injuries, illnesses, etc., but now after recovering completely he just doesn't seem to have the same drive and energy on the court. He may be able to stay in the top 30 or 20 with the way he plays now, but if he wants to get back into the top 5 he has to start playing with some passion again.

Tennis Fool
02-15-2007, 12:51 AM
The difference in outcome might have something to do with the difference in their respective quality before the illness struck, no? ;) For both Hewitt and Ferrero the only way to go was down, Blake had much room for improvement. Although come to think of it you're generalising to say the least, considering that Hewitt's attack of the pox came at the very start of 2002 - you know, the year where he won Wimbledon, defended the TMC and was ranked no. 1 every week of the year? ;)

R. Federer is right is correcti in the facts. No slam win afterwards. On top of that, and probably more troubling, was the marriage curse. Had he also dated Martina Hingis, he'd be retired by now.

Sjengster
02-15-2007, 02:01 AM
R. Federer is right is correcti in the facts. No slam win afterwards. On top of that, and probably more troubling, was the marriage curse. Had he also dated Martina Hingis, he'd be retired by now.

No, you're both getting events mixed up. The chickenpox was at the start of 2002, that's basically why he lost to Beto Martin in the opening round of the AO, then he got over it and went on to win 15 matches in a row, including the title at IW. And as I said, won Wimbledon just a few months later. His subsequent slump in 2003 had nothing to do with physical problems, I believe he got an ankle or toe injury after the DC semis and therefore didn't play until the DC final, but that was it.

swisstruffles
02-15-2007, 03:20 AM
maybe he had success too early and after he came back from the chickenpox, the game had changed so much and maybe he doesnt have the belief that he could battle it through to the top again. The mens game has so much depth its unbelieveable. If he was playing in the WTA he could be in top 5 maybe. LOL

oh and dont smear the argentines with one finger, u cant do that. take a look at my avatar- not all of them cheat!

RogiFan88
02-15-2007, 03:22 AM
"spiral out of control"... talk about exaggeration...

Edda
10-29-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm with RogiFan. Juan Carlos Ferrero may not have the slam record of a Roger, Rafa or Pete, but his accomplishments outside of tennis are spectacular. To have accomplished everything he has accomplished at the age of 31 is amazing.

Topspindoctor
10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Like a typical counterpuncher, he burnt out early anf got injured a lot. There is nothing surprising about his downward spiral.

moon language
10-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Chicken Pox as an adult tends to be significantly more severe than it is in children. Not that I have an opinion on whether or not that was the reason.

Pirata.
10-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Even with his injuries and old age (in tennis terms) he was still able to win a title after having not played a single match since April, make the 4th round of USO and the QFs of a masters (would've been semis had he not hurt himself during the match)

Most average players wouldn't have this success in their peak, Juan Carlos is doing it during his decline :lol:

MuzzahLovah
10-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Well, seeing him roll his ankle against Ferrer in Shanghai made me think he is just incredibly unlucky/injury prone. I see clowns slide on hardcourts all the time, but this happens to Juanqui. :sad:

leng jai
10-29-2011, 03:33 AM
Thread title is great.

paseo
10-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Chicken pox.

tennisfan856
10-29-2011, 03:51 AM
lol, it took me longer that it should to realize this post started in '07. Felt like it could've been created today.

answer: counter-puncher started getting outmuscled in the fitness era with a side dish of hard-luck injuries.

Mountaindewslave
10-29-2011, 05:23 AM
this is a really good question and I'm not sure we'll ever know

*bunny*
10-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Juanqui is not a counterpuncher. He likes to dictate the points from the baseline and does so when he's playing well.
Chicken pox and a series of injuries in 2004 slowed him down and dented his confidence for several years, BUT now he's playing great again for a guy of 31. He might have even defeated good friend Ferru in Shanghai had he not sprained his ankle. He can play more good tennis if he stays injury free.
A meaningless bump IMO.

Edda
11-25-2011, 11:53 PM
I thought Juanqui's win against Gael Monfils at this year's U.S. Open was the best performance at that event by an Armada athlete. I admire Juanqui for still hanging in there with his tennis in addition to his many successes outside of tennis. Juanqui's not done yet.

Chase Visa
11-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Injuries, pretty much.

rocketassist
11-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Shame he declined so soon. Entertaining player and character, and his clay game in 02-03 was fucking brutal.

Kat_YYZ
11-26-2011, 07:35 AM
funny thread title... for a moment I thought he ran amok in a shopping mall with a baseball bat or something. :p

I hope he'll play next year. He's lovely. :inlove:

Mae
11-26-2011, 08:58 AM
funny thread title... for a moment I thought he ran amok in a shopping mall with a baseball bat or something. :p

I hope he'll play next year. He's lovely. :inlove:

I agree with you :) And I also didn't notice at first that this thread was started in 2007 :eek: :o

Chris Kuerten
11-26-2011, 12:02 PM
A true legend of the game, he will always be remembered :worship:

TheRafaelNadal
11-26-2011, 12:36 PM
He's won a Slam. Which is more than what some of these mugs will do.