Who should be the second singles player for the US Davis Cup Team in April? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who should be the second singles player for the US Davis Cup Team in April?

JennyS
03-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Who do you think should be the second singles player for the US Davis Cup in the upcoming tie against Sweden?

Deboogle!.
03-27-2004, 06:16 PM
I think Mardy should. He has a good record against Swedes, loves playing DC, and aside from his match yesterday he has been playing pretty well. James has too except that he's horribly tanked in his last two matches in the 3rd set after being ahead in the matches.

The others possibly being picked are Robby or Vince. Robby's been playing well and he had his great comeback against Melzer in February in his first DC match ever so I'm sure PMac remembers that.

It'll be announced Monday I think so we'll know pretty soon :)

Domino
03-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Brendan Evans...doh

Fedex
03-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Fish. Out of all those players, he has the best game(all court), and has the most potiental, but he lacks any consistancy.

WyveN
03-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Spadea if going by form although I think Mardy will be picked

Havok
03-28-2004, 03:16 AM
from recent form: Spadea, but I just don't see him on the team for this quarterfinals tie :shrug:

imo, it'll be either Fish or Ginepri, but PMac might go with GInepri since he's actualy won some matches here at Miami

azza
03-28-2004, 03:19 AM
Vince of coarse hes better then the lot of them

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Very interesting, in today's Florida papers, several of them have articles about how Vince should be the #2 singles player (mind you Vince is from South Florida so that might factor into the lobbying lol)... I just found it very interesting, I wonder if any of this will have an influence when PMac announces tomorrow.

Leo
03-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I'd say Spadea. I feel like he has a good game to match up against most of the Swedes, he's in better form than any other American not named Roddick, and he's more consistent than the likes of Fish or Blake.

I guess Ginepri might be a good choice as well, but we'll see what he does here in Miami.

Kiara
03-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Vince- he knows how the wind swirls ;)

I think he's proven himself in the past few months and he would deserve the #2 spot, if Patty goes by results and form, Vince would be a safer bet than Fish,Dent and Blake atm imo

Robby would be the other possibility since he came through big time in Austria...

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Here's what Vince had to say about it
==

"But Davis Cup time is coming up, like you said. That just puts my name more in the open to be chosen or just to see what the captain, you know, has in mind.

But at least I know confidently that, you know, I'm doing my best for myself, and at the same time, if I was to represent my country, I would, you know, prove worthy with the results that I'm having right now."
-------
Q. Have you talked to Patrick at all?

VINCENT SPADEA: I haven't seen him. I talked to him in Indian Wells for a second. Just friendliness. Nothing specifically in that direction.

You know, I don't know how to address that subject, you know. There's been times, a couple -- I think at least two times where I was ranked in position to be selected, and this is going way back, before Patrick was even captain, so the process of selection is not directly, you know, towards the rankings or towards just some technical factor.
------
Q. What would it mean to you to play Davis Cup?

VINCENT SPADEA: It would mean a lot. I never played a live rubber. I played a dead rubber in Spain. That was my only time, I was with John McEnroe. To play a live rubber and be a part of the team now would be a great thrill, because, you know, the team is kind of a new type of, you know, generation, and, you know, if I could somehow get into that, you know, mix, that would be -- it would show all the hard work that I've been doing to get back.

Q. The way things are going for you now, do you feel like you deserve to be on the Davis Cup team?

VINCENT SPADEA: You know, I've won two rounds here, you know. I haven't, you know, won Wimbledon or anything. I don't think there's an overwhelming fact that says I undoubtedly, you know, should be on it.

But at the same time, there aren't that many Wimbledon champions that are probably going to be selected. So that tells you that if I wasn't going to be, then I should or would have been as close as you could come.

But I feel like I deserve a chance, if it's not this tie, maybe I'll be ranked even higher for the next tie.

Q. How does this process affect, or does it, the relationship between maybe you and some of your peers or some of the people that would be...

VINCENT SPADEA: How does this what?

Q. Does it affect at all, I don't know how your relationships are with the other players, does it affect the guys that are close to being chosen, does this whole process...

VINCENT SPADEA: I don't think there's too much of a competitive feel there. There's no animosity or any kind of, you know, friction that, you know, we're worried about, you know, somebody getting snubbed and somebody just being named to the team.

Obviously, it's a great prestige and it's a great honor to play for your country so we're all trying to play our best.

I think the United States players now have a little bit better of a camaraderie than what it's been in the past. So it's good to see people are more encouraging. So if anything, it's much better and there wouldn't be any kind of issues with someone being selected or not.

Chloe le Bopper
03-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Vince! Vince! Vince!

If Pat chooses one of the players who are in worse form, I hope his team gets their butts kicked! Apologies... Normally I wouldn't give a squat who won this (unless one of the players I really like on either team was playing, which they won't be), as I'd like either team to lose the semi anyways ;) But Vince has earned it. Ginepri just went out to Kiefer, and really... who has Ginepri beaten this year? Aside from nobody, of course.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Not a shocker..... PMac went with Mardy. but I'm thrilled for him, so yay :) I think he will come through.
-------

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla., March 29, 2004 – The USTA and U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe today announced that reigning US Open champion Andy Roddick, the world No. 1 doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan, and Mardy Fish will represent the United States against Sweden in the 2004 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Quarterfinal. The U.S. continues its quest for its 32nd Davis Cup title with this best-of-five match series April 9-11 at the Delray Beach Stadium and Tennis Center in Delray Beach, Fla. Tickets for the event are available by calling (888) 484-USTA.

Davis Cup by BNP Paribas is the world’s largest international team competition with 142 nations competing in 2004. The United States is part of the 16-team Davis Cup World Group, in which the Davis Cup champion is determined. The United States, Sweden, Argentina, Belarus, Switzerland, France, Spain and The Netherlands remain in contention for the 2004 Davis Cup title. The United States advanced into the quarterfinal with a 5-0 victory over Austria February 6-8 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.

"I'm looking forward to another outstanding team effort from our guys against a tough team from Sweden," said McEnroe. "Our team is unified, excited with the challenge at hand and committed in our quest to bring the Davis Cup back to the United States for the first time since 1995."

Roddick, 21 and a resident of Boca Raton, Fla., is the reigning US Open men’s singles champion and world’s No. 3 player. In 2003, he won six singles titles and became the youngest American to finish the year ranked No. 1 in the world. A U.S. Davis Cup team member since 2001, Roddick brings a 10-3 career Davis Cup record into this quarterfinal match.

Fish, 21 and a resident of Tampa, Fla., is currently ranked a career high No. 17 in the ATP singles rankings and has been a U.S. Davis Cup team member since 2002. He holds a 2-3 career Davis Cup record (1-2 in singles) and won a heroic four-set victory over Karol Kucera in the 3-2 win for the United States over Slovakia last September in Bratislava, keeping the United States in the Davis Cup World Group for 2004. He won his first ATP singles title last year in Stockholm, Sweden.

Bob Bryan, 25 from Camarillo, Calif., made his Davis Cup debut last September in the Davis Cup World Group Playoff against Slovakia and holds a 2-0 Davis Cup record in doubles with his twin brother Mike Bryan. Bob and Mike won their first Grand Slam men’s doubles title at the 2003 French Open, becoming the most successful brother doubles team in the Open era of professional tennis. He and Mike Bryan have won 17 doubles titles as a team entering the 2004 NASDAQ-100 Open. Bob also won the 2003 US Open mixed doubles title with Katarina Srebotnik.

Mike Bryan, 25 from Camarillo, Calif., won the 2002 US Open and 2003 French Open mixed doubles titles with Lisa Raymond, in addition to his 2003 French Open men’s doubles title with brother Bob. Mike has won 18 career ATP doubles titles and, with his brother, won a bronze medal in men’s doubles at the 1999 Pan American Games. The Bryans are the only sets of brothers to pair in victory for the United States Davis Cup team since the competition began in 1900.

Sweden, captained by 1988 US Open champion and world No. 1 Mats Wilander, upset defending Davis Cup champion Australia 4-1 in February’s first round in Adelaide, Australia. Representing Sweden in that series was reigning US Open doubles champion Jonas Bjorkman, former Australian Open finalist Thomas Enqvist and up-and-comers Joachim Johansson and Robin Soderling.

The rivalry between the United States and Sweden in Davis Cup dates to 1946, with the winner of the confrontation going on to win the Davis Cup championship nine of the 10 times the two nations have played. The United States leads the series 7-3, with Sweden sweeping the United States 5-0 in their last meeting at the 1997 Davis Cup World Group Final in Goteborg, Sweden.

Play on Friday, April 9 will begin at 1:30 p.m. with the first of two singles matches. Saturday’s play will consist of the doubles match beginning at 4 p.m., while Sunday’s final two reverse singles matches will begin at 2 p.m.

J. Corwin
03-29-2004, 05:41 PM
So Sweden IS going with Jonas.

And Mardy isn't a surprise at all, knowing PMac.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-29-2004, 06:28 PM
i hope it comes to bite Pat in the ass, Vince deserves that spot

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Considering Vince has lost to Enqvist TWICE so far just THIS year lone, I'm guessing that probably had a role in his decision as well. I hope it works out and I'm glad Mardy's been given the chance to show choosing him was not a mistake.

WyveN
03-29-2004, 08:20 PM
There goes the "picking on form" theory - no surprise though

Deboogle!.
03-29-2004, 09:50 PM
My guess is this was a factor

"Fish also owns a superior record against Swedish opponents; he is 2-0 against Enqvist, 2-1 against Joachim Johansson and 1-0 against both Bjorkman and Soderling. Spadea does not have a winning record against any of Sweden's five players. He is 2-3 against Enqvist, 0-1 against Bjorkman, 1-1 against Thomas Johansson and has not played either Joachim Johansson or Soderling."

WyveN
03-30-2004, 03:31 AM
Except that Fish lost to a Swede recently, Spadea has won a tournament this year + has beaten top players such as Safin and Roddick.

Domino
03-30-2004, 03:33 AM
Is he going to play Safin and Roddick in Davis Cup? No.

Deboogle!.
03-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Except that Fish lost to a Swede recently, Spadea has won a tournament this year + has beaten top players such as Safin and Roddick.

Yes Mardy lost... but he was also exhausted after being in 2 finals in San Jose and playing singles and dubs in Memphis. He went into that match with a 2-0 record. plus PimPim's form since then has been pretty well... poor at best lol. Point is, Mardy's records against those guys are huge. Plus playing Andy and Mardy together is a mental advantage for both of them. Andy has said MANY times that he plays better when he's playing for his friends, and obviously based on what Mardy pulled off last fall in Bratislava, he knows how to come through in the clutch. Hopefully PMac made the right decision, that's all there is to it lol

WyveN
03-30-2004, 03:47 AM
Hopefully PMac made the right decision, that's all there is to it lol

I am hoping he regrets the decision

heya
03-30-2004, 04:56 AM
Pmac really believes that the U.S. will win this year with these current players.
His opinions and inane one-liners are enough to drive anyone up the wall.
He showed his true colors when he called Safin a mental midget during the AusOpen. I'm not a Safin fan, but that was uncalled for.

WyveN
03-30-2004, 07:16 AM
Well Safin isn't exactly proving himself a mental giant by following up AO with a few average results

Action Jackson
03-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Well Safin isn't exactly proving himself a mental giant by following up AO with a few average results

At least he has won more matches than Corretja.

Onto the topic it doesn't matter who plays the singles for the US, all the pressure is on them and it's a no win situation. They already believe that Roddick will win both singles and the doubles, but I would like to see an upset, though I don't see it happening.

WyveN
03-30-2004, 07:43 AM
It is possible, the Swedes are certainly competetive against Roddick and will have good chances against Fish. USA should win the doubles though.

Action Jackson
03-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Trust me Wyver, I hope I am wrong about this in the biggest possible way.

WyveN
03-30-2004, 07:50 AM
Do you think they are bigger underdogs then they were against Australia?

Domino
03-30-2004, 07:55 AM
I would prefer for Argentina to beat the U.S. than the Swedes, because I want to see Nalbandian beat Roddick on U.S. soil.

Action Jackson
03-30-2004, 08:28 AM
I would prefer for Argentina to beat the U.S. than the Swedes, because I want to see Nalbandian beat Roddick on U.S. soil.

Problem with that scenario is if the US and Argentina win, what will happen won't be pretty. The Argentines will be dancing the tango after they take them out on clay in Buenos Aires, as that is where the next tie will be played.

J. Corwin
03-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Domino, Nalby won't be able to considering the tie will be played in Buenos Aires.

Deboogle!.
03-30-2004, 12:31 PM

You know, these are the kinds of posts that make me laugh the hardest. If you're going to say something like this, you might as well check the facts of the situation first.

alfonsojose
03-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Eric Taino :tape:

tangerine_dream
03-30-2004, 03:12 PM
You know, these are the kinds of posts that make me laugh the hardest. If you're going to say something like this, you might as well check the facts of the situation first.

I reallyreallyreally enjoyed watching Dahveeeed:baby: getting his ass kicked by Andy on US soil last year. :devil:

mattf
03-31-2004, 01:06 AM
Todd Martin maybe?? or is he 100 years too old for a recall? lol

Kristen
03-31-2004, 03:52 AM
I voted 'other'. Tripp Phillips maybe! I like him, but he'll improve my guys chances of winning the tie ;)