Lleyton beat Llodra 4-6 6-1 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lleyton beat Llodra 4-6 6-1 6-4

Norrage
02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Good effort for Lleyton in winning the battle of the Ll's and he is getting a bit of matches in it seems! Hope he can keep this up since the draw is wide open for him! I really want him back in the top.

I was expecting the worst after he lost first set, but thank god he managed to turn it around as well as he did.

gusman890
02-14-2007, 07:33 PM
lol he faught back nicely.

getting broken the first game of the match doesnt always seem to work for people.

scoobs
02-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Good switch back from clay, can't have been easy.

qczi
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
hewitt has a good draw, he could ease into the semifinals and gasquet isnt the toughest opponent for a place in the final. the other half has baghdatis, ferrer and youzhny too and all of them would beat him right now for sure

dylan24
02-14-2007, 08:12 PM
hewitt will win this tournament.
and he was like 18/1 to win this tournament

R.Federer
02-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Lleyton just needs one big win to get back on track. Winning a quality tournament like this could do it for him.

scoobs
02-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Lleyton just needs one big win to get back on track. Winning a quality tournament like this could do it for him.
That's a simplistic view.

He won Queens last year and it made absolutely no difference at Wimbledon.

R.Federer
02-14-2007, 08:30 PM
That's a simplistic view.

He won Queens last year and it made absolutely no difference at Wimbledon.

Why? Because he lost to Baghdatis? Did you see that match? Baghdatis won that on sheer grit, it had nothing to do with Lleyton playing poorly. Hewitt took enough confidence from Queens -- if I am not mistaken, Federer said at the start of Wimbledon that he expected Hewitt and Roddick to be his two biggest challengers there.

Clara Bow
02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
hewitt has a good draw, he could ease into the semifinals and gasquet isnt the toughest opponent for a place in the final. the other half has baghdatis, ferrer and youzhny too and all of them would beat him right now for sure

Darn- in addition to Lleyton there are just so many people that I would like to win this tournament.

Glad that he came back for the win. :)

silverwhite
02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
How did Llodra take a set? :lol:

R.Federer
02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
How did Llodra take a set? :lol:

There is still some rust in Rusty. He has played only 7 matches all year.

Norrage
02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Why? Because he lost to Baghdatis? Did you see that match? Baghdatis won that on sheer grit, it had nothing to do with Lleyton playing poorly. Hewitt took enough confidence from Queens -- if I am not mistaken, Federer said at the start of Wimbledon that he expected Hewitt and Roddick to be his two biggest challengers there.

Baghdatis played the best tennis I ever saw someone play (except Fed) in that match. Nothing wrong with what Hewitt did (probably a bit like his AO exit against Gonzo)...
Hewitt was in hot-form there, and after Wimby he got injured and less motivated with all the baby stuff etc and could not extend that lovely form...
I hope that with a few wins here he can get a decent form up (especially since he seems do damn motivated and has new coach) so he can get a shitload of points in the coming TMS's..and clay season which he has missed the last 2 years.

scoobs
02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
My point is, the Hewitt of 4 or 5 years ago would still have won those matches, or at least extended them to 5 long gruelling sets.

Sorry - one good tournament win isn't going to stop him losing those kinds of matches to players in good form who in the past he still would have beaten - Baghdatis at Wimbledon, Roddick at the US Open and Gonzalez at the Australian Open.

R.Federer
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Baghdatis played the best tennis I ever saw someone play (except Fed) in that match. Nothing wrong with what Hewitt did (probably a bit like his AO exit against Gonzo)...
Hewitt was in hot-form there, and after Wimby he got injured and less motivated with all the baby stuff etc and could not extend that lovely form...
I hope that with a few wins here he can get a decent form up (especially since he seems do damn motivated and has new coach) so he can get a shitload of points in the coming TMS's..and clay season which he has missed the last 2 years.

Yes, that is how I saw that match in Wimbledon too. Baghdatis was truly a man possessed that day.
Btw, who is Lleyton's new coach? Is this a short term partnership?

Norrage
02-14-2007, 09:02 PM
My point is, the Hewitt of 4 or 5 years ago would still have won those matches, or at least extended them to 5 long gruelling sets.

Sorry - one good tournament win isn't going to stop him losing those kinds of matches to players in good form who in the past he still would have beaten - Baghdatis at Wimbledon, Roddick at the US Open and Gonzalez at the Australian Open.

Truth is that Hewitt's game suits his opponents to get a great rhythm so when Hewitt loses it always looks like his opponent is in top form...Baghdatis on the other hand was incredible from the go...
His loss against Roddick I dont count as such. Actually, Lleyton won the matches you just spoke about against Djokovic and Gasquet in relative ease and with his experience and I never doubted those. And against Gonzo and Baggy he fought his heart out and almost made 2 fantastic comebacks...Against Baggy he was just 2 points from a 2-1 in sets and against Gonzo it could easely have become 2-2 and I beckon Lleyton would have wn the fifth (and thus defeating a player who was in such form I thought he would whipe the floor with Fed)

Roddick was in red-hot form but he played against an injured Lleyton who after the USO hardly played a match because he was só injured.

musefanatic
02-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Well donen Lley Lley but seems like a hard fought win but still good :)

FaceyFacem
02-15-2007, 03:58 AM
i think lleyton is surprisingly close to getting back, but he needs draws to open up more, he's had some tricky draws and lost to players that have been unbelievably on at the important events. he also seems unmotivated in smaller events, he needs to focus and i see him making another major final either this year or 08 (and hopefully winning one!)