Coria article on atp, doping and Voltchkov. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Coria article on atp, doping and Voltchkov.

TennisLurker
03-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Altavista translation

Guillermo Coria announced yesterday that he studies chance to initiate a judgment to the Association of Professional Tennis players (ATP) as a result of the suspension that he suffered in 2002 when he tested positive to an antidoping control.

"I believe that the ATP remembered a little late to pay attention to the subject of doping. It seems to me something very healthy and very clean the committee that has been formed with serious people, like the Luli ( Alberto Mancini, his ex- trainer), Agassi and Fernando González, but when I said that trainers gave not clean vitaminic complexes, the one in charge of all this in the ATP laughed to me in the face ", unloaded the Argentinean. Coria was further on: "I have all my trial taped". After what happened with (Greg) Rusedski (he was acquitted by a similar cause by that Coria was suspended) it made me very angry. I believe that my name was stained. Not only that: I had to suffer a suspension to me that harmed me a lot and I had to give back 100 thousand dollars including with the taxes ". "I believe that I was not dealt with justice. Now it is that they recognize that trainers gave those complexes, but nobody believed to me when I said it ", added. Coria also loaded against bielorrusian Vladimir Voltchkov, that had accused the Argentineans of using prohibited substances. "First I will see if what he said is true to later to analyze the possibility of sueing him. It stained us to all, even to players who do not have anything to do ", indicated Coria.
Coria recognized that because of those declarations " even more things will be in play in the davis cup tie. Although at the time of entering the court it will be necessary to forget and to play ".
"I was speaking to Marat Safin and he said to us that we prepare ourselves to play in the faster court that exists. the balls will be those of the U.S. Open, thus it will be necessary to be very focused ", added.

And Coria said on Nalbandian: "I spoke with a friend of him and he said to me that he is going to play. I believe that it was dangerous to play here with an injury and in addition he had a very hard draw. But knowing David, he will be surely in Bielorrusia ".
Finally, Coria said that if Argentina wins the players they would have to be the one who decide in what stadium and what surface will be due to play the semifinal in our country. "We are those that enter the field and we have much to do", it concluded.

In Spanish

Guillermo Coria anunció ayer que estudia la chance de iniciarle un juicio a la Asociación de Tenistas Profesionales (ATP) a raíz de la suspensión que sufrió en 2002 por darle positivo un control antidoping.

"Creo que la ATP se acordó un poco tarde de tomar el tema del doping. Me parece muy sano y muy limpio este comité que se ha formado ahora con gente seria, como el Luli (por Alberto Mancini, su ex entrenador), Agassi y Fernando González, pero cuando yo dije que los trainers (fisioterapeutas) daban complejos vitáminicos, el encargado de todo esto en la ATP se me rió en la cara", descargó el argentino.

Coria fue más allá: "Tengo todo grabado lo del juicio. Después de lo que pasó con (Greg) Rusedski (fue absuelto por una causa similar por la que Coria fue suspendido) me dio mucha bronca. Creo que mi nombre quedó manchado. No sólo eso: tuve que comerme una suspensión que me perjudicó muchísimo y debí devolver 100 mil dólares, inclusive con los impuestos".

"Creo que no fui tratado con justicia. Ahora resulta que reconocen que los trainers daban esos complejos, pero nadie me creyó cuando yo lo dije", agregó.

Coria también cargó contra el bielorruso Vladimir Voltchkov, quien había acusado a los argentinos de utilizar sustancias prohibidas. "Primero veré si lo que dijo es cierto para después analizar la posibilidad de hacerle un juicio. Nos manchó a todos, incluso a jugadores que no tienen nada que ver", señaló.

Coria reconoció que esas declaraciones "hacen que incluso se jueguen más cosas en el match de la Copa Davis. Aunque a la hora de entrar a la cancha habrá que olvidarse y jugar".

"Estuvimos hablando con Marat Safin y nos dijo que nos preparemos para jugar en la cancha más rápida que existe. Encima, las pelotas serán las del US Open, por lo cual habrá que estar muy concentrado", añadió. Y dijo sobre Nalbandian: "Hablé con un amigo suyo y me dijo que va a jugar. Creo que era arriesgado jugar acá con una lesión y además tenía un cuadro muy duro. Pero conociéndolo a David, estará seguro en Bielorrusia".

Por último, Coria dijo que si Argentina gana los jugadores deberían ser quienes decidan en qué estadio y en qué superficie se deberá jugar la semifinal en nuestro país. "Somos los que entramos a la cancha y tenemos mucho que ver", concluyó.

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks a lot for that Lurker, yes as much as I like to pick on Coria he did his time and punishment something Rusedski should have done, but then again there are players from certain countries that are more likely to get pulled up than others.

The interesting thing would be if Coria tested positive again, would he get away with it, now he has a much higher status. No, I am not suggesting he has been up to no good. I have doubts Agassi has been totally clean for his career.

They should just let the WADA do their doping tests and just publish the results after both samples have tested positive.

*Ljubica*
03-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the interview - and I agree with George - Coria may not be my favourite either, but he did his time and I agree with what he is saying here.

star
03-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks, TL

TennisLurker
03-31-2004, 02:54 AM
http://tennisreporters.net/scoop_032804.html

It seems that the guys from tennisreporters have been reading menstennisforums

Billabong
03-31-2004, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the article:)!