Benjamin Becker: one of the smarter players? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Benjamin Becker: one of the smarter players?

kinglear
02-14-2007, 06:12 AM
I think this dude is freaking amazing. He's a smart player. Although he lost to Ljubijic at the Davis Cup, he was busting out inside-out forehands, lobs and great court positioning. To me, because of the way he takes the ball early and places the ball so well, he reminds me a little of Martina Hingis. I throw that comparison around a lot, but aside from some of Ben's shots, the way he positions his body when he prepares to strike the ball resembles Hingis' preparation before hitting the ball. I'm a fan. And it's even more impressive that this is only his second or third year on tour. :worship: *applause*

disturb3d
02-14-2007, 06:42 AM
He is far too old to ever be a force in tennis. But I still see him making improvements, and peaking inside the 20.
Everything about him is reminiscent of Grosjean. Only his groundstrokes bigger, and serve one of the best I've ever seen.

Deivid23
02-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Everything about him is reminiscent of Grosjean. Only his groundstrokes bigger, and serve one of the best I've ever seen.

OMFG

BORO77
02-14-2007, 08:14 AM
You guys are crazy. This Becker guy is a joke:cool:

Seneca
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Oh, hell no. 'Smart' is one of least likely adjectives to be associated with Benji Becker, I've seen nothing else from him except generic ball-bashing with a bit more power and less mobility than usual.

adee-gee
02-14-2007, 09:10 AM
:haha: this is almost as funny as the Gonzo = Martina Hingis with power thread :worship:

SwiSha
02-14-2007, 09:26 AM
this guy is on crack

ginnylegend
02-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Top 20-30 isn't out the question. He has a big game but when the 1st serve percentage drops Benni struggles as he did second set onward against Ljubicic.

When he goes for his shots he's super to watch.

Burrow
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I think that he could break into the top 20, needs to improve his technique so he can hit the ball with the power he hits with on a more consistant basis. He is a naturally capable server which is always a bonus.

kinglear
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
:haha: this is almost as funny as the Gonzo = Martina Hingis with power thread :worship:

Now that's funny. :) We're all entitled to our own opinions. I really like Ben and I don't think it's silly. :o ;) Oh yeah, and I love that he always looks like a baseball player. :)

Henry Chinaski
02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I like his attacking returning style. In Australia he was regularly returning Safin's first serves from a metre inside the baseline.

Is there any particular reason why he has been such a late developer? Any major injuries earlier in his career or anything?

atpSUPERMAN
02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Becker is a really cool player, he has a little bit of everything. I can see him being a regular quarterfinalist at slams in future, he has that something special about him. And it doesn't matter how old he is, you can't tell somebody he's too old unless he is too old at this exact moment which clearly isn't the case with Becker.

atpSUPERMAN
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I like his attacking returning style. In Australia he was regularly returning Safin's first serves from a metre inside the baseline.

Is there any particular reason why he has been such a late developer? Any major injuries earlier in his career or anything?

Yeah Agassi is his hero, and that was fitting that Becker played Agassi in his final match ever.

Becker was in American college studying business for a long time. He didn't put tennis first.

kobulingam
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM

He wanted to go to university for an edumacation, no?

Hola Mr. SK
02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Dusan Vemic should take care of him today...

Langers
02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
If that’s the case, he’s come a long way…

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=85153

;)

atpSUPERMAN
02-14-2007, 03:15 PM
If that’s the case, he’s come a long way…

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=85153

;)

Becker was probably scared to death that he would beat his idol. Nobody could play smart tennis under that circumstance. Even Roddick said he didn't want to play Agassi (he would have if Becker lost).

Langers
02-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Becker was probably scared to death that he would beat his idol. Nobody could play smart tennis under that circumstance. Even Roddick said he didn't want to play Agassi (he would have if Becker lost).
I’m sticking to the argument I made in that thread. :p

alfonsojose
02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
He is far too old to ever be a force in tennis. But I still see him making improvements, and peaking inside the 20.

:yeah: he's a more powerful but less talented Grosjean. If he was able to pick the moments to fire up better ..

Horatio Caine
02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
You haaaaave got to be joking :haha:

tangerine_dream
02-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Is this another one of those irony threads?

Puma!
02-14-2007, 05:25 PM
This is a joke right.

I've only ever watched him against Agassi, and some of the shots he did were completely brainless. Just another power-hitter with little else.

He reminds me of a low-level version of Roddick.

kinglear
02-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Becker is a really cool player, he has a little bit of everything. I can see him being a regular quarterfinalist at slams in future, he has that something special about him. And it doesn't matter how old he is, you can't tell somebody he's too old unless he is too old at this exact moment which clearly isn't the case with Becker.

Well Jana Novotna was 23 years old when she reached her first Slam final? I know that's a totally different game today and that that was the women's game, but nothing's impossible. There are a lot of late bloomers. Can anyone name some? I'm curious. ;)

jazar
02-14-2007, 09:33 PM
he is getting smarter than he was when he emerged last year. all he wanted to do then was hit the shit out of every single shot, so he was very hit and miss. now he has learnt that he cant hit a winner of every shot and is a much better player for it

kinglear
02-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Is this another one of those irony threads?

Nope. I don't know what those irony threads were all about. There's no hidden message to this thread. What you see is what you get. :)

And speaking of Grosjean, what has been preventing him from reaching his peak? Because he surely has some awesome shots. ;)

kinglear
02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Does anyone happen to have any Benjamin Becker matches? Like his match against Agassi, and anything else. Thanks, if you can help. I know it's hard to find matches because Youtube has so many new restrictions. :o

MisterQ
02-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Well Jana Novotna was 23 years old when she reached her first Slam final? I know that's a totally different game today and that that was the women's game, but nothing's impossible. There are a lot of late bloomers. Can anyone name some? I'm curious. ;)

Andres Gomez, won the French Open at age 30.
Petr Korda, won the Australian at age 30 (controversially, ultimately)
Andres Gimeno, won the French at age 34.

Less drastically, but more substantially.... Patrick Rafter developed into a top player contending for slams at around 24/25 years old, having done relatively little before.

lynnlovestennis
02-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Uh, well there's like 48 guys in line ahead of him that wanna take a slam off some Swiss dude, so don't count your chickens. ;)

But, Becker is definitely a smart dude and a decent player. He's got a strong swerve, as unpredictable as it may be, but this kid saves bp's like no one's biz.

Plus, isn't he being coached by Roddick's old coach? The french dude? (Sorry, can't rem his name now...) Tareek something.

My guess: Becker's going top 20 this year.

RickDaStick
02-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Uh, well there's like 48 guys in line ahead of him that wanna take a slam off some Swiss dude, so don't count your chickens. ;)

But, Becker is definitely a smart dude and a decent player. He's got a strong swerve, as unpredictable as it may be, but this kid saves bp's like no one's biz.

Plus, isn't he being coached by Roddick's old coach? The french dude? (Sorry, can't rem his name now...) Tareek something.

My guess: Becker's going top 20 this year.

:haha:

lynnlovestennis
02-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Yea, you're hilarious Ljubicic.

Let me know when you figure out how to use the Interweb, no less message quote w/o f'ing it up. ;)

RickDaStick
02-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Yea, you're hilarious Ljubicic.

Let me know when you figure out how to use the Interweb, no less message quote w/o f'ing it up. ;)

Lets here serious here. I like Becker ever since I saw him at the US open last year but he has no chance at being top 20.

kinglear
02-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Lets here serious here. I like Becker ever since I saw him at the US open last year but he has no chance at being top 20.

Be prepared to eat your words. I'm not guaranteeing anything though. ;) But again, does anyone have any Benjamin Becker matches or knows where I can find some?

RickDaStick
02-16-2007, 02:12 AM
Be prepared to eat your words. I'm not guaranteeing anything though. ;) But again, does anyone have any Benjamin Becker matches or knows where I can find some?

I wouldnt mind seeing that happen as i like Becker but top 20 is not realistic. His best weapon is his 1st serve which he struggles to get in 50% of the time.

atpSUPERMAN
02-16-2007, 03:12 AM
BEcker spoke good after that Agassi match, good speech and then as they took the microphone away from him he said "Andre....thanks....."

Kolya
02-16-2007, 04:51 AM
If you want a smart player think of Murray, Federer and players like Mecir.

Becker is a powerful player, very strong for his size.

atpSUPERMAN
02-16-2007, 04:53 AM
Murray has great variation but he's really fragile mentally

Action Jackson
02-16-2007, 04:59 AM
If you want a smart player think of Murray, Federer and players like Mecir.

Becker is a powerful player, very strong for his size.

None of these players come close to Mecir for on court brains.

Becker maybe intellectually one of the smarter players, but in a tennis sense well irony isn't dead on MTF.

Kolya
02-16-2007, 05:01 AM
None of these players come close to Mecir for on court brains.

Becker maybe intellectually one of the smarter players, but in a tennis sense well irony isn't dead on MTF.

LOL. True Mecir was so deceptive. I've never seen anyone wrong foot so many players.

Federerhingis
02-16-2007, 05:24 AM

:tape:

I wouldn't call it funny but the comparison is really incomparable. Hingis never completely flattens her forehand stroke unless when going for a deep approach down the line, but usually even when she hits it flat she gives it that tad touch of spin for margin and security. Benjamin rarely backpedals on his groundies.

Hingis is much more of an instinctual player Becker is more reactive and proactive with his stroke mechanics, with Hingis everything is much more deliberate while well thought in advance. Hingis possess one of the softest hands in the tennis scene along with McEnroe I don't think Benji's tennis vocab includes feathery touch and feel as rudimentary elements of his game.

Clearly it is blatantly obvious that theres is very little resemblance in their respective games.

atpSUPERMAN
02-16-2007, 12:01 PM
:tape:

I wouldn't call it funny but the comparison is really incomparable. Hingis never completely flattens her forehand stroke unless when going for a deep approach down the line, but usually even when she hits it flat she gives it that tad touch of spin for margin and security. Benjamin rarely backpedals on his groundies.

Hingis is much more of an instinctual player Becker is more reactive and proactive with his stroke mechanics, with Hingis everything is much more deliberate while well thought in advance. Hingis possess one of the softest hands in the tennis scene along with McEnroe I don't think Benji's tennis vocab includes feathery touch and feel as rudimentary elements of his game.

Clearly it is blatantly obvious that theres is very little resemblance in their respective games.

I agree, they are extremely different players. Becker has something special about his game but its nothing to do with HIngis.

johnnylad
02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
No one compared him to hingis :haha: :haha:

They said the thread is as stupid as comparing Gonzo to Hingis.

i.e. Becker is as others have said an intelligent man but not an intelligent user of the courts angles etc.. he just hits the ball as hard as he can

oz_boz
02-16-2007, 12:45 PM
His serve is impressive considering he's only 5' 10.

kinglear
02-16-2007, 03:09 PM

All I said was that Ben's movement reminds me of Hingis, but like someone else said, his overall game is the closes to Grosjean's. Would you agree that Ben does hit with a lot of top spin? I thought I saw some top spin.

but not an intelligent user of the courts angles etc.. he just hits the ball as hard as he can

I think she used the court's angles well at points during his match against Ljubijic. By the way, did Germany end up beating Croatia. I didn't think that Ben lost the round for Germany. :confused:

Henry Chinaski
02-16-2007, 11:24 PM
The true mark of an intelligent player. He learned from his defeat to Safin and gained easy revenge this time.

Morgan Z
02-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Top 20 by end of 2007. :)

Voo de Mar
02-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Becker begins to look like Kiefer (in my eyes) :smoke:
He must be smart because two years ago he was rank. 1349 at the age of 24. His progress is amazing.

Federerhingis
02-17-2007, 04:26 AM
All I said was that Ben's movement reminds me of Hingis, but like someone else said, his overall game is the closes to Grosjean's. Would you agree that Ben does hit with a lot of top spin? I thought I saw some top spin.

I think she used the court's angles well at points during his match against Ljubijic. By the way, did Germany end up beating Croatia. I didn't think that Ben lost the round for Germany. :confused:

Oh, yes Benjamin is a great mover and has efficient foot work. His forehand is huge and he does possess good court sense. While Hingis is no longer as quick as she used to be off foot, she still possess excellent court positioning and footwork. Her balance is almost always impeccable, she rarely loses her grip on her center of gravity.

Nevertheless, Murray actually reminds me a bit of Hingis with his court sense and different palette of strokes. It was recently pointed out on this month's Tennis Magazine, I think in Evert's page.

Merton
02-17-2007, 04:35 AM
What is the evidence that the statement in the title of the thread is true?

scoobs
02-17-2007, 05:04 AM
What is the evidence that the statement in the title of the thread is true?
I want to see his exam test results from the age of 4 before I can determine this :)

Merton
02-17-2007, 05:26 AM
I want to see his exam test results from the age of 4 before I can determine this :)

He is a smart guy, but I assume that we are talking about tennis court inteligence.

atpSUPERMAN
02-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Becker will definitely be in the top 20 soon, he has something special.

Hagar
02-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Becker begins to look like Kiefer (in my eyes) :smoke:
He must be smart because two years ago he was rank. 1349 at the age of 24. His progress is amazing.

Amazing indeed. Nice to see someone blooming all of a sudden.
The win over Andre at the US Open was no coincidence.

crazillo
02-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Benjamin has a great game and a very good serve for his size. The rest of his game is aggressive as well. I think he should develop more of a net game with his serrve, it would be great. But the comparison to Hingis is a bit laughable, sorry.
What will his rank be after the 2nd SF in a row now? I think he can enter the top-20 and will probably play a bit beyond 30...

Jimnik
02-17-2007, 12:15 PM
I hope he makes the top 32 before Wimbledon.

Horatio Caine
02-17-2007, 12:39 PM

Looking good to do it...especially if beats Karlo tonight.

Voo de Mar
02-17-2007, 12:49 PM
Benjamin has a great game and a very good serve for his size.

He has the best serve I've ever seen among players below 180 cm height (5'11'')

koipond
02-17-2007, 01:41 PM

I hope it too.
If Benni is in the top 32,he would have seed.
expecting good result on the grass surface as fast.

johnnylad
02-17-2007, 11:37 PM
He wasn't smart enough to beat Karlovic!