SAP Open- Safin d. Oudsema 6-4; 7-6(3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

SAP Open- Safin d. Oudsema 6-4; 7-6(3)

2moretogo
02-14-2007, 04:25 AM
A little bit of a scare in the second set. Safin was broken while serving for the match. However, he closed out match with an ace in the tie break.

atheneglaukopis
02-14-2007, 04:30 AM
This is a good start for him. :) And thanks for doing the live scoring.

2moretogo
02-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Not a problem.

bellascarlett
02-14-2007, 04:53 AM
At least...:)

Probably still feeling out the court.

What time did the match start and how long did it go for btw if anyone knows? It seems to have started late? :confused:

scoobs
02-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Not a bad match from Marat. Oudsema has a nice serve on him and a decent forehand when he doesn't get a little reckless with it.

In the words of our esteemed commentator tonight, Oudsema hung tough without ever really looking likely to get a set.

scoobs
02-14-2007, 05:29 AM
And I wish he'd stop calling Safin "The Mack Daddy"

I save Safin the pimp for my dreams, not on the court please.

Saumon
02-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Not a bad match from Murray. Oudsema has a nice serve on him and a decent forehand when he doesn't get a little reckless with it.

In the words of our esteemed commentator tonight, Oudsema hung tough without ever really looking likely to get a set.

and I wish you didn't call Marat "Murray" :lol: ;)

MariaV
02-14-2007, 06:46 AM

:o :lol:
You're in the UK, right?

But the commentators are alike everywhere I guess. :lol:

drf716
02-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Safin keeps anger in check
Scott Ostler
Marat Safin once broke a racket over his head in anger and frustration.

That's a level of commitment and intensity you don't find in a lot of athletes. You don't see Barry Bonds doing that kind of

thing, for instance.

Tuesday night at the SAP Open at the HP Pavilion, Safin didn't break anything, barely got perturbed, and worked harder than

he might have expected to win his opening match, beating wild card Scott Oudsema, 6-4 and 7-6 (7-3), in an 88-minute

match that had the tourney organizers possible squirming on the edges of their seats.

The SAP folks went deep into their pockets to bring Safin to the tournament for the first time ever, looking at him as a top

drawing card. An upset on the first night of tournament would have been upsetting to a lot of people, including Safin.

Oudsema, from Kalamazoo, Michigan, brought his big serve and gave Safin a nice little opening test, especially tough

considering Safin just flew in from Chile, where he played in the Davis Cup Sunday.

Oudsema, the Kalamazoo Kannon, had a bigger serve than Safin and used it well, booming 135-mph aces, while Safin was

plodding along 10 mph slower with his serve.

Oudsema had 17 aces in the match, to Safin's 4.

You have to think the big Russian will have to pick up his game a bit if he's going to make a big splash in his debut in

Northern California.

It was tough, the commute from Chile to San Jose, Safin said.

"You go to the airport, fly 18 hours, take two hours for lunch, and it's back on the court," he said. "But what are you going to

do? You have to work ... It's my job and sometimes you do things you don't want to do."

Possibly because Safin was weary, he didn't flash much of the personality and fire tournament promoter Bill Rapp worked so

hard to bring here.

Safin is a racquet breaker, for one thing. There was the head trick, and on more than one occasion he has broken every

racquet in his bag. When that happens, he begs his opponent for a loaner.

One guy gave Marat a racquet and Safin beat the guy with his own club, so that's not likely to happen again.

Tuesday, no tantrums, no slammed racquets, not much emotion displayed, with the exception of one silence objection over

a line call.

But he seemed glad to be here, having foregone his usual jaunt through Europe at this time of year.

"I decided to say here (in the Western Hemisphere) and try my luck," he said.

Safin was once a superstar, beating Pete Sampras in the U.S. Open in 2000, a year that Safin spent nine weeks at No. 1 in

the world. And he won the Australian Open in 2005, beating Roger Federer in the semis in a classic duel.

Since then, injuries have dogged Safin, and possibly a lack of that 110 per cent commitment, a fault Safin cops to.

But he says he's healthy now, recovered from two years of injuries, and if so, at age 26 it's possible he's still got some No. 1

stuff in his racquets.

Tuesday Safin looked just a little bit slow, his long stokes almost languid, he wasn't quite as peppy as his opponent. But in

the second set and the tiebreaker, he started working the net. At 5-6 in the second set, he closed out the game with a

forehand volley so delicate it wouldn't have knocked the head off a dandelion.

After Oudsema opened the tie-breaker with a 136-mph ace, Safin used his volley, and a Oudsema forehand into the tape, to

win the next five points.

Now Safin can get some sleep, then get in some practice time on the super fast court, and regain some of the old Safin fire.

"I'm ready to win," he said, wearily.

bellascarlett
02-14-2007, 07:06 AM
The match lasted an hour and a half according to the scoreboard, and based on the time the Murray match started it couldn't have started more than about 15-20 minutes after the scheduled start time. :)

Thanks. ;)

scoobs
02-14-2007, 08:45 AM
:o :lol:
You're in the UK, right?

But the commentators are alike everywhere I guess. :lol:

The live feed for the tournament has an American...ahem...commentator.

Burrow
02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Well the good news is that he shaved and the win is a bonus.

Deea
02-14-2007, 11:43 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: will you ever stop with this?

TheBoiledEgg
02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
any two set win for OAF is a cause for celebration :aparty:

Burrow
02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: will you ever stop with this?

nope.

mer
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
well, he shaved in Chili which means there is no good news at all for you :rolleyes:

Burrow
02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
This guy is only 147 pounds and can hit crushing serves at that speed, impressive.

Burrow
02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
well, he shaved in Chili which means there is no good news at all for you :rolleyes:

Well I think *I* am the person who knows if there is good news for *ME*

Bilbo
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
the result indicates that safin won't stay long in this tournament

Rogiman
02-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Quality win.

casillas_girl
02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
well done Marat!!! :aparty: :bounce:

jazar
02-14-2007, 08:58 PM
marat should have beat this guy off the court

scoobs
02-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Marat was just coming off Davis Cup on clay and had a long flight, onto a quite fast indoor court. He got it done against a guy serving pretty well. Cut him some slack - all the DC players have proved to be a bit vulnerable this week so far.

2moretogo
02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
I didn't see it as a bad match for Marat. Sluggish at times, yes, but Safin wasn't donating a whole bunch of points to Oudsema. Like Scoobs said, Oudsema was hitting a lot of aces. Plus it was either hit or miss by Oudsema he would DF only to hit 3 Aces, or he would miss a fh/bh by 10 ft only to hit a clean winner the next shot. Not a lot of rythm.

Add that to the 15 hour flight, change of surfaces, and the differences bet. practice courts and show court could have made this a much longer match.

musefanatic
02-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Well done Marat :)

Breakaway
02-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Good job Marat :yeah: