Marseille: Gicquel def. Monfils 4-6 7-6(1) 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marseille: Gicquel def. Monfils 4-6 7-6(1) 7-5

Labamba
02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
A very good comeback from Gicquel, he was down 4-6 1-3* and twice down a break in the 3rd set. :hatoff:

Monfils was strugling with fatigue and a couple of different minor injuries throughout the match. He just seems so fragile. :awww:

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Gicquel rocks indoors!

stebs
02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
A very good comeback from Gicquel, he was down 4-6 1-3* and twice down a break in the 3rd set. :hatoff:

Monfils was strugling with fatigue and a couple of different minor injuries throughout the match. He just seems so fragile. :awww:

His body is always goig to hold him back. When you're built like that and play sport, injuries are a part of life.

Andre♥
02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Amazing by Gicquel!

I wouldn't be surprised if he enters Top 20 until the end of the year.

Jimnik
02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Very poor from Monfils. He should have won this. Far too many unusual errors.

2moretogo
02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Monfils :sad:

Gicquel stuck in there, while Monfils continued to have physical problems the entire match.

There were moments when Monfils was agressive and then that went away, but some quality rallies throughout the match.

Labamba
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
His body is always goig to hold him back. When you're built like that and play sport, injuries are a part of life.

His style of play doesn't really help things. Those big acrobatic slides on a hardcourt won't do any good for your ankles...

Horatio Caine
02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Amazing by Gicquel!

Great as his win was today mate, he won't be making top 20 ;)

Top 40 yeah...but I wouldn't expect much higher :scratch:

scoobs
02-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Monfils is too stubborn to adapt his game style - he's been told by past coaches that he's going to shorten his career and risks permanent injury with these devil-may-care acrobatics, and he's said this is who he is and he has to be himself and play how he feels.

Admirable, but he can pretty much forget decent results with any consistency, I feel.

Jaap
02-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Monfils is a joke.

Gicquel is a demon indoors.

silverwhite
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Marc :D

DrJules
02-13-2007, 11:00 PM

I cannot understand why so many of the "8 players of the future" are physically in such poor physical condition. Djokovic, Gasquet and Murray are also physically vunerable.

Deivid23
02-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Amazing by Gicquel!

I would be shocked if he does

Deivid23
02-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Chokers´ festival at it´s best, crazy stuff

Bilbo
02-13-2007, 11:06 PM
this gicquel is good

Deivid23
02-13-2007, 11:06 PM
this gicquel is good

Not today, tbh

vincayou
02-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Not a very good match but enjoyable.

Monfils is still frightened by the net, but after having dismissed a dozen of coaches in 2 months because they were all telling him the same thing than the first (you must attack short balls and come to the net more often to finish points), he came back with Champion, so it must mean that he starts understanding that it's the path to success.
He seems to start complaining about fatigue in every of his matchs lately, I hope he will cut that soon because there is a bit of gamesmanship in this.
His first serve was quite good, that was what kept him longer in the match.

I have seen Gicquel play better than this.

Truc
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Monfils is still frightened by the net, but after having dismissed a dozen of coaches in 2 months because they were all telling him the same thing than the first (you must attack short balls and come to the net more often to finish points), he came back with Champion, so it must mean that he starts understanding that it's the path to success. No, that is not true, that's not the reason why he parted ways with Champion. On the contrary, he left Champion after the USO to work with Gautier who wanted to change his game in a more offensive way. And Monfils was totally into it at the time and kept saying in every interview he wanted to attack more, etc.

But he was indeed way too impatient and kind of sacked Gautier in Australia after a few months only saying "no, that's not me, that's not my game."
And he's been struggling since then and doesn't sound very clear-headed at the moment, to say the least, I completely agree about this.

But don't make him look worse than he is, he didn't dismiss "a dozen of coaches" because of that and it wasn't the point with Champion.
(He isn't back to Champion anyway, Champion is PHM's coach and just helping him this week.)

CooCooCachoo
02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Marc :rocker:

SwiSha
02-14-2007, 10:02 AM
nice job blowing it Monfils

Truc
02-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I just read in a French article he was throwing up when he left the court during the match (it's true he had to leave the court a few times, but he didn't look sick to me :shrug: ).
http://www.sport24.com/sport24_article_actualite_sportive_tennis__atp__op en_13__2ej__compte_rendu_monfils_s_enfonce_13985.h tml

Deivid23
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I just read in a French article he was throwing up when he left the court during the match (it's true he had to leave the court a few times, but he didn't look sick to me :shrug: ).
http://www.sport24.com/sport24_article_actualite_sportive_tennis__atp__op en_13__2ej__compte_rendu_monfils_s_enfonce_13985.h tml

He looked like he had some stomach bug when talking to the doctor

BORO77
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Very happy every time monfils loses:)

SaltoKlose
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Go Gicquel!!!

A late bloomer....

Truc
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
He looked like he had some stomach bug when talking to the doctorYes, you're right about that, I thought he had a problem with the hip, but it probably was a stomach bug. Anyway, if the journalists write he was throwing up, they wouldn't make that up, so it can also explain why he looked completely "dead" and behaved like that during the 3rd set.