"Gentleman" Tim: Think again [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"Gentleman" Tim: Think again

TheBoiledEgg
03-27-2004, 01:14 PM
The English “gentleman”

He looks like a kid himself. Fresh faced, must have been a choirboy. I am referring of course to Tim Henman. An English gentleman you say?

During one of his matches I witnessed perhaps one of the ugliest exchanges a player had during the tournament with a ball kid. We had one boy, a little chubby, who worked his tail off in 100 degree heat. Perhaps he was a step slower than most.

Mr. Henman would have none of it. Talked directly to the boy, told him he was slow, and asked him, how on earth did he become a ball kid? Then Tim went to the umpire’s chair and complained, pointing to the poor lad, and making it quite clear that he never wanted to see the boy on “his” court again.

We had to remove the boy who, by this time, was mortified and had burst into tears. That’s when being a mother really helps. You just wanted to pull him to you and tell him that everything will be all right. Would hate to have you as a father, Mr. Henman.

from http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/iw04ball.htm
by Sandra Vincent

Sandra Vincent was a volunteer at the 2004 Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells, and worked as a Ball Kid Coordinator. We thank her for sharing her unique perspective of the tournament and some of its stars.

azza
03-27-2004, 01:17 PM
omg tim u **** :mad: :(

Deboogle!.
03-27-2004, 01:21 PM
oh my!

IceIceBaby
03-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Fatty's have rights too.

;)

Frooty_Bazooty
03-27-2004, 01:53 PM
i think we should hear confirmation of this from a second source before we jump to any conclusions.

tbh, i think she's probably being melodramatic and exagerrating

dont believe everything you read, ESPECIALLY on the internet

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Tim has always been a prick to ballkids, it's not anything unusual from him.

tangerine_dream
03-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Poor little butterball. :)

Sjengster
03-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Certainly puts an interesting perspective on that extended thank you to the ballkids he gave in his runner's-up speech - wanting to restore his image a little? Anyway, I don't know who gave him the "Gentleman Tim" nickname but it's always been rubbish, considering that a couple of years he repeatedly muttered oaths under his breath after bad points that the microphones picked up. I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so annoyed by one ballkid that they'd go to the umpire to ask for his removal, but then Henman is the man who once complained at an indoor tournament a few years ago that the curtains at the back of the hall weren't fully drawn and it was distracting him. He has some Agassi-like tendencies in that way.

TennisLurker
03-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Didnt he once hit a ballgirl?

rassklovn
03-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Yes, Lurker he did and got disqualified for it and deservedly so.

Sjengster
03-27-2004, 04:18 PM
I remember the headlines well, far more than Wimbledon itself that year; it was after losing a doubles match and as he walked towards the net with his partner, he hit a ball down the court which struck a ballgirl. He didn't intend to hit anyone (unlike, say, Agassi's attempt after losing the Rafter match in 2001), but it's the act and the hit that counts, and unlike back then I don't think anyone'll be getting him to apologise to the IW ballkid with a bouquet of flowers and a peck on the cheek.

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Well Sjengster since he is Gentleman Tim, just like the well respected Agassi. I don't think too much will come from this incident, doing it at Wimbledon and in Miami are two very different things.

Fee
03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
See that's why I hate articles out of context (even if the link was provided). That excerpt was from a story about Indian Wells, written by the Ballkids coordinator and the whole thing is a bit strange. She talks about Tommy Haas and Roger Federer too, complaining that TH swore too much and Roger didn't sign enough autographs (the tournaments that I work for, ballkids in uniform are not allowed to harass the players). It's worth reading the whole article, but in the end I think the woman comes off as a bit of a whiner, unfortunately.

AgassiFan
03-27-2004, 08:52 PM
He didn't intend to hit anyone (unlike, say, Agassi's attempt after losing the Rafter match in 2001),

If I ewre Agassi, I'd do more than that. That cocksucker robbed him of a Wimbledon title.

And of course Henman is an elitist scumbag. That goes without saying. Too bad this pomposity will never compensate for his lack of Top 10 talent. England deserves him and Victoria Beckham.

Nan Cu
03-28-2004, 01:41 AM
But I like Victoria.

Henman's curse is in her mouth. And he got the title "Gentleman" because he's the epitome of an English gentlemen. ;)

Frooty_Bazooty
03-28-2004, 03:08 AM
He didn't intend to hit anyone (unlike, say, Agassi's attempt after losing the Rafter match in 2001),

If I ewre Agassi, I'd do more than that. That cocksucker robbed him of a Wimbledon title.

And of course Henman is an elitist scumbag. That goes without saying. Too bad this pomposity will never compensate for his lack of Top 10 talent. England deserves him and Victoria Beckham.

Apart from being racist and an ignorant wanker, do you have any other qualities?

Yonge
03-28-2004, 03:24 AM
This is really unfortunate if this is true. It's so uncharacteristic for Tim to do this and that's why I wouldn't be quick to judge. I mean he has a good rep with fans (and players) right? I still like him though - English gentleman or not.

Dirk
03-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Rafter beat Andre fair and square. That woman should be given a raise. She protected on court decency. http://mysmilies.ipbfree.com/s/otn/blobs/multi.gif

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm a lil surprised.

*Ljubica*
03-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Apart from being racist and an ignorant wanker, do you have any other qualities?

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Leo
03-28-2004, 04:41 PM
I find it hard to believe that anyone could be so annoyed by one ballkid that they'd go to the umpire to ask for his removal, but then Henman is the man who once complained at an indoor tournament a few years ago that the curtains at the back of the hall weren't fully drawn and it was distracting him. He has some Agassi-like tendencies in that way.

:lol:

This ballkid story could be true, but it might not be. I find it strange, that an important woman would completely lie about something like this, although maybe she misheard or possibly embellished a little.

Leo
03-28-2004, 04:43 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I second that! :worship:

Sjengster
03-28-2004, 05:00 PM

But what was even better was the way that Agassi's deliberate aiming of a first serve right at that "cocksucker" was received with hilarity by everyone in the crowd and in the commentary box, good old Andre being a character and letting off a bit of steam. If that had been any other player, and that includes Henman, the condemnation would have been swift. My oh my, I love the double standards people adopt concerning Agassi.

We certainly do deserve Henman - but nobody in the world deserves Victoria Beckham's vocal talents, just like nobody on MTF deserves to have you here as a regular poster.

star
03-28-2004, 05:24 PM
But what was even better was the way that Agassi's deliberate aiming of a first serve right at that "cocksucker" was received with hilarity by everyone in the crowd and in the commentary box, good old Andre being a character and letting off a bit of steam. If that had been any other player, and that includes Henman, the condemnation would have been swift. My oh my, I love the double standards people adopt concerning Agassi.

Ah yes. Mr. Agassi is all smiles and bows when he wins, but his character when he loses is a tad different. It's mean and small.

After losing to Federer, Agassi signed not one autograph for the kids leaning over the wall with their balls and pens. I'm glad to say that Roddick signed lots and lots of autographs after his loss to Henman. The ball kids I talked to named Roddick as the nicest ("nicest" in their opinion evidently means being willing to sign autographs) because he signed for them even after he lost. :)

Lisa Raymond got the nod for being the nicest woman...... just in case you thought I influence their remarks. I would never have guessed her as the "nicest." In general the women players got low marks with Justine getting the lowest. The American male players got high marks from the girls. "Angels" was what they said. Reason: "They look you in the eye always." The girls always seem to be very concerned about everything. After the group on the court when Coria took a spill and scraped his knee came off for a rotation they were gasping, "Poor thing!" "It was bleeding!"

After one ball girl came off the court in a match I can't remember, one of the girls asked the adult supervisor, "Why was he looking like that? Was he mad at me?" The adult, replied that she thought he was mad because he had lost the point.

Most of the kids really worked their tails off. I wish I had been at that Henman match though. :(

MisterQ
03-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Ah yes. Mr. Agassi is all smiles and bows when he wins, but his character when he loses is a tad different. It's mean and small.

only sometimes

star
03-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Maybe I've been watching only the matches where his bad side shows. ;)

MisterQ
03-28-2004, 07:28 PM
It's human nature, we see what we want to see.

MisterQ
03-28-2004, 07:33 PM
and yes, I'm including myself in that statement... ;)

star
03-28-2004, 07:35 PM
:)

joeb_uk
03-28-2004, 07:36 PM
what happened with agassi?

MisterQ
03-28-2004, 07:59 PM
what happened with agassi?

here's a link to a write-up of the agassi-rafter wimbledon 2001 match that we are referring to. even without the controversy, it was a classic battle!

agassi-rafter wimbledon 2001 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2001/wimbledon/news/2001/07/06/wimbledon_friday_ap/)

TennisLurker
03-28-2004, 08:08 PM
He only bows to the crowds when he wins, when he loses he leaves the court as fast as he can.
Many people find that phony, Srichaphan for example, always bows to the crowds, it doesnt matter if he wins or loses.

And he has behaved like an idiot in some memorable matches.
Against Rafter, against Kucera, against Fish this year.

AgassiFan
03-28-2004, 08:19 PM

I do not adhere to no double standard. I have never been fooled by Andre's new-found "graciousness". I root for him regardless. Imagine that. And, again, if I were Andre I'd be hard-pressed to resist the urge to walk over and slap that slimy incompetent line-man across the face with the sweaty towel handed to me just a moment ago....Your Mileage May Vary.

We certainly do deserve Henman - but nobody in the world deserves Victoria Beckham's vocal talents

Her vocal talent?! I was talking about her Utter Vacuousness and ridiculously overrated looks. Just a pop ho' elevated to the status of First Lady of Britain. How very.

, just like nobody on MTF deserves to have you here as a regular poster.

Cry me a Danube, loser.

And, yes, I AM a wanker. Good on me. As for whomever called me an ignorant racist.....Care to elaborate? I didn't think so.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Andre bowed when he lost at the AO, didn't he?

But I agree, he seems to be a petulant loser... people don't seem to think about it though, or comment on it. Maybe b/c he loses relatively seldomly? lol...

The thing like autograph-signing and stuff like that are what are interesting to me. You have players like Andy, James, Guille, and tons more, who ALWAYS sign, no matter what... so when someone loses and just leaves, it sort of sticks out and looks icky

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 08:45 PM
I never thought Andre to be this gracious-meister player. I just love his game.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2004, 08:50 PM
But he is treated as though he is by a lot of people. You can certainly still be a fan of him or his game, just as I'm still a fan of all my faves despite their faults, and the same with everyone here. But Andre really is treated like a God by much of the tennis press and some of the things he does do sometimes seem to be a little more over-looked than some of the others... I think that's all anyone was trying to say :)

J. Corwin
03-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Oh I know and I completely agree. I just wanted to get in my "I love his game" in there. lol

I still like Andre despite his faults, that's for sure. :)

joeb_uk
03-29-2004, 03:09 PM
thanks for that

joeb_uk
03-29-2004, 04:40 PM
i think him bowing to the crowd is abit over the top anyway, sure its good to show your appreciation but i dont think his routine is needed