%``%.Should NADAL seriously REBUILD his game??*[Faldo won golf majors after overhaul] [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

%``%.Should NADAL seriously REBUILD his game??*[Faldo won golf majors after overhaul]

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 02:39 AM
:wavey:
:cool: :worship: :devil: :angel: :sad: :eek: ;)
###
RAFA fans please don`t accuse me of bashing poor Nadal;) .. Seriously I do respect Rafa & his inspired gutsy play, especially his wins at the Rome TMS [over Coria 05 & Federer 06] were truly awesome:worship:

But considering all the injuries he`s getting at such a young age & his mini-slump since last year`s Wimbldon>>> ~don`t you think that Rafa should consider rebuilding his general game [forehand strokes & serve in particular] in order to become a better player & survive at the top in the forthcoming years;) :confused: :confused:

Agassi partly rebuilt his game in the late 1990s by becoming more efficient with his strokes & Ken Rosewell become a great serve & volleyer in his mid 30s in the early 1970s to continue winning Slams:cool:

The best example of someone rebuilding a seemingly successful game was Nick Faldo in golf;)
...Faldo was European #1 in the early 1980s but he knew his swing wouldn`t be good enough under the heat of battle to win majors ~~ so he & his swing coach David Leadbetter designed a swing that would be durable under pressure for years to come.. Faldo & his improved flatter & less wristy swing plane went on to win 6-majors:cool: !!

Mistaflava
02-12-2007, 02:42 AM
what language is that in?

I have no fuckin clue what you are babbling about

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I do think he should change certain aspects of his game, but most importantly he should rebuild his confidence. Unfortunatly for us, Rafa's quite young and stubburn. Althoug he is a smart boy, a lot smarter than people who don't really know all that much about him would give him credit for, but his fans know, he does realize what's at stake. After reading interviews with him he is aware of what people say about his game and is aware that some things need ot change and at the same time is very adment about not changing certain aspects of his game. As he said once, this play has gotten me this far, so I do think it would take his camp to push him into change for it to happen.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 02:51 AM

I may be a babbler;) , but it`s pretty clear I`m talking mumbo jumbo language you fool thneed:p

Hola Mr. SK
02-12-2007, 02:58 AM
He needs a new coach...

ChloeLove
02-12-2007, 03:03 AM
I think Tony has done well for him, but the suggestion of an other coach, or at least some outside help and opinions on his game could serve him well.

Marek.
02-12-2007, 03:05 AM
If he changed his game to suit hard courts, there's no guarantee that it would be successful and it could also ruin his clay court game which brought him to the top. It would also take a while before he showed great results also and I'm not sure he's willing to take that risk.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 03:09 AM
If he changed his game to suit hard courts, there's no guarantee that it would be successful and it could also ruin his clay court game which brought him to the top. It would also take a while before he showed great results also and I'm not sure he's willing to take that risk.

Yeah it`s a gamble isn`t it;)
I mean he`s still young enough to continue having success with his physically draining game BUT he`s also young enough to still make major changes to his game>.
If he changes in 5-years it may be too late!
But if he changes now then he risks having a couple of years of limited success & not contending to win Slams!
That`s why I gave the Nick Faldo example [though golf allows you more time to rebuild].. Faldo had to endure a few years of poor performances but once he mastered his new swing he went on to win 6-majors..

I wonder if Nadal`s loyalty to Toni & stubborness to rebuild his forehand will hold him back & prevent him from becoming an all-time great that he surely can be:confused:

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 03:13 AM
I wonder the same thing.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 03:13 AM
Perhaps Nadal should wait until this year`s French Open is over~>> then begin a long path to overhauling his general playing style..
With last year`s clay form he`d still be a clear favourite to win this year`s French Open & winning 3-in-a-row would truly be a great achievement..

This plan would minimise the risk of losing big titles b4 facing the music of change!

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 03:14 AM
great idea, lets send a letter to the Nadal team and hope they get it.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 03:17 AM
great idea, lets send a letter to the Nadal team and hope they get it.

:wavey: :cool:
Thanks sondraj;)
Despite what some people may think I`m actually a big fan of Nadal:worship:

It would be a pity to see a player with his immense passion & fighting abilities & clutch shot making to rise & fall suddenly:sad:
Tennis needs great players & great characters~> Nadal`s success helps the game`s popularity overall:angel:

nkhera1
02-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Its not easy to just all of the sudden change your entire gameplan after playing one way for so many years. Unlike golf, Nadal doesn't have the luxury of 10 to 15 more years where he will be able to stay at his peak. Look at how long it took Woods to overcome his swing changes. By the time Nadal learns how to play a new style of tennis he will be past his physical peak. His best option is to keep improving the weakers aspects of his game (such as serve, serve return, volleys) and keep playing more on hard courts. People seem to be surprised he isn't doing well off clay, but his game isn't really suited for them and besides he has reached a final, qtrfinal and a semi in the 3 other slams which is pretty good for most other people.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Its not easy to just all of the sudden change your entire gameplan after playing one way for so many years. Unlike golf, Nadal doesn't have the luxury of 10 to 15 more years where he will be able to stay at his peak. Look at how long it took Woods to overcome his swing changes. By the time Nadal learns how to play a new style of tennis he will be past his physical peak. His best option is to keep improving the weakers aspects of his game (such as serve, serve return, volleys) and keep playing more on hard courts. People seem to be surprised he isn't doing well off clay, but his game isn't really suited for them and besides he has reached a final, qtrfinal and a semi in the 3 other slams which is pretty good for most other people.

How about Thomas Muster:cool:
Came back from a serious car accident in his early 20s & had one leg shorter than the other..
Went on to become #1 & win a Slam at age 27/28yrs:worship: :cool:
If Muster could come back like that then surely Nadal can rebuild a new gameplan, esp the forehand strokes at age 20yrs:confused:

MariaV
02-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Tennis needs great players & great characters~> Nadal`s success helps the game`s popularity overall:angel:

That's right. :)

He's been working on his serve and also return & volley game obviously.
But yes the dilemma is should he more drastically overhaul his game for hard courts the clay court success might not be there any more.
He has to find the right balance.

Action Jackson
02-12-2007, 08:10 AM
How about Thomas Muster:cool:
Came back from a serious car accident in his early 20s & had one leg shorter than the other..
Went on to become #1 & win a Slam at age 27/28yrs:worship: :cool:
If Muster could come back like that then surely Nadal can rebuild a new gameplan, esp the forehand strokes at age 20yrs:confused:

How about Thomas Muster? The situations were different and unlike Nadal who couldn't play on hardcourts for any length of time cause of his knee and his hip gave out cause he did it.

What else happened was when he improved on the hardcourts and using a longer racquet, he was not as effective on clay as previously.

Of course Nadal has to improve his game and try get more offensive in his play, but he can't come straight out and blast winners. He has to adapt as much as he can within his style of game and if that means taking more balls on the rise and making more errors cause of it, then that is part of the process.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 08:39 AM
How about Thomas Muster? The situations were different and unlike Nadal who couldn't play on hardcourts for any length of time cause of his knee and his hip gave out cause he did it.

What else happened was when he improved on the hardcourts and using a longer racquet, he was not as effective on clay as previously.

Of course Nadal has to improve his game and try get more offensive in his play, but he can't come straight out and blast winners. He has to adapt as much as he can within his style of game and if that means taking more balls on the rise and making more errors cause of it, then that is part of the process.

Hey George thanks for your comments..

BTW,~ what`s your assessment of last year`s Dubai final, where Nadal beat Federer:confused:
Looking at these highlights it seems Rafa was able to hit plenty of winners against Fed & on a fast surface...
Was it due to Nadal taking the ball on the rise more???
Or simply Rafa getting into Fed`s head again??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdLQPm_lEYo

jazar
02-12-2007, 08:40 AM
he shouldnt rebuild, he should improve what he has. he should maybe consider flattening out his forehand a bit, learning a proper slice, learning a proper volley and also hitting a flat serve (something he has never done in his life)

Action Jackson
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM

BTW,~ what`s your assessment of last year`s Dubai final, where Nadal beat Federer:confused:
Looking at these highlights it seems Rafa was able to hit plenty of winners against Fed & on a fast surface...

Nadal's game is based on a strong defense and nothing wrong with that. However over a period of time he has to improve on that within his particular gamestyle.

It's a match up issue Nadal doesn't go around hitting plenty of winners against
Blake etc, that's the match up. Have to look at the overall picture.

When he is in trouble he retreats further behind the baseline and that's not suprising to go where most comfortable, but there are plenty of things he can work on, slices, flattening out his shots etc.

SaltoKlose
02-12-2007, 09:31 AM
1. Flatten out his 1st serve
2. Stand closer to the baseline, so he will be less exposed by Federer's low slice to bring him in.

But the tough thing is that Federer is so good, Sampras was beatable.

buzz
02-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Most of the Nadal winners are passing shots, or a big fh after a weak return from fed IMO. Nadal relying mostly on the errors of federer or 'weak' aproaches to the net from federer, so Nadal played a defending game there I think.

Also this isn't the whole match so you prob see almost all Nadal winners wich can be misleading....

It still surprised me a bit how much federer is walking around his bh here. Looks a little like he runs around to hit his fh to avoid hitting a bh instead of taking complete control of the point.

Gonzo Hates Me!
02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
NO! lol, i think "rebuild" is a word regarding matters of hopelessness. his game should be modified in my opinion, but if his game, that has brought him more success than much of the tour, is supposedly in dire need of rebuilding, then what's the state of the rest of the tour? lol I feel like people focus on the negative things about Nadal so much and forget what success he's had with his "game that needs rebuilding" just because he loses to James Blake! He's so young, he's lots of time to fix things, he's good at learning, he's seems to be open to refining--not stubborn or in denial, and he's one of a few of active-active players who have two or more slams, which is very rare right now. lol.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 12:48 PM
NO! lol, i think "rebuild" is a word regarding matters of hopelessness. his game should be modified in my opinion, but if his game, that has brought him more success than much of the tour, is supposedly in dire need of rebuilding, then what's the state of the rest of the tour? lol I feel like people focus on the negative things about Nadal so much and forget what success he's had with his "game that needs rebuilding" just because he loses to James Blake! He's so young, he's lots of time to fix things, he's good at learning, he's seems to be open to refining--not stubborn or in denial, and he's one of a few of active-active players who have two or more slams, which is very rare right now. lol.

The reason i used the word `rebuild` is not because of Nadal`s relative form slump [from his normal lofty standards]~ but rather because he seems to be getting so many serious injuries at such a young age:eek: ...

If this continues he may be burnt out by age 22yrs [& he wouldn`t be the 1st either]:sad:

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Most of the Nadal winners are passing shots, or a big fh after a weak return from fed IMO. Nadal relying mostly on the errors of federer or 'weak' aproaches to the net from federer, so Nadal played a defending game there I think.

Also this isn't the whole match so you prob see almost all Nadal winners wich can be misleading....

It still surprised me a bit how much federer is walking around his bh here. Looks a little like he runs around to hit his fh to avoid hitting a bh instead of taking complete control of the point.

:wavey: :cool:
Good point buzz mate;)
Yeah as you said it`s not the whole match & highlight packages can be misleading:devil:
I guess Federer`s poor play had something to do with last year`s Dubai final result...
I mean Roger`s forehands & backhands seemed to be dropping short a lot & without his usual assertiveness or placement:eek:
On the other hand Nadal`s massive top-spin probably had a lot to do with Fed`s inability to play his usual game;) ..

Still I`m sure that Fed playing at his recent AO form would surely def Nadal if they were to play again on hardcourt this year..

Burrow
02-12-2007, 01:01 PM

You are obviously not a natural English speaker then, are you?

Burrow
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
1. Flatten out his 1st serve
2. Stand closer to the baseline, so he will be less exposed by Federer's low slice to bring him in.

But the tough thing is that Federer is so good, Sampras was beatable.

uh...I think Roger Federer is very beatable too...

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 01:07 PM
uh...I think Roger Federer is very beatable too...

Hey Safinator;)
Isn`t it funny how the focus shifted toward Federer:confused:
Oops was that my fault:o ~ "I shot the sheriff":eek: :devil:

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Fed was way below his best in the Dubai final (esp. last 2 sets). Fed took a very long break after AO to rest his still healing ankle. He came into Dubai noticeably out of shape, and still with the ankle brace on. He struggled through his earlier rounds too.

Nadal on the other hand had been playing and practicing tennis for a long time before the Dubai tournament. He had a very easy path to the final, where he even had a round off because of a walk over.

In the Final, Federer started running out of gas after first set. His movement wasn't anywhere near 100% either. His backhand wasn't anywhere near as good as it is today.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Fed was way below his best in the Dubai final (esp. last 2 sets). Fed took a very long break after AO to rest his still healing ankle. He came into Dubai noticeably out of shape, and still with the ankle brace on. He struggled through his earlier rounds too.

Nadal on the other hand had been playing and practicing tennis for a long time before the Dubai tournament. He had a very easy path to the final, where he even had a round off because of a walk over.

In the Final, Federer started running out of gas after first set. His movement wasn't anywhere near 100% either. His backhand wasn't anywhere near as good as it is today.
Yep, you're right. I mean how else could you explain Federer losing to such a talentless moonballer. He was injured, sick, not 100%, tired, all the excuses are coming out now.

I find it funny how you really care about that match even now :lol:

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Yep, you're right. I mean how else could you explain Federer losing to such a talentless moonballer. He was injured, sick, not 100%, tired, all the excuses are coming out now.

I find it funny how you really care about that match even now :lol:

I saw many of the matches. Federer had a huge belly which and was sluggish. Watch the match and you will see him start to gas out in 2nd set. He worked most of the belly off in IW/Miami and was playing well in clay. Those losses to Nadal on clay, he simply got beat down.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Anyways, in response to original question I don't think that Rafa needs to totally rebuild his game. I mean he has been pretty sucessful already with it, no? :D

But he's gonna carry on improving, maybe trying to hit the ball flatter, volley more etc. But it'll take time. I seriously doubt a major overhaul of his game is gonna work, he may not come back as good that way. This is his way of playing, but it doesn't mean he can't improve.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I saw many of the matches. Federer had a huge belly which and was sluggish. Watch the match and you will see him start to gas out in 2nd set. He worked most of the belly off in IW/Miami and was playing well in clay. Those losses to Nadal on clay, he simply got beat down.
A huge belly :lol: I doubt that.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Anyways, in response to original question I don't think that Rafa needs to totally rebuild his game. I mean he has been pretty sucessful already with it, no? :D

But he's gonna carry on improving, maybe trying to hit the ball flatter, volley more etc. But it'll take time. I seriously doubt a major overhaul of his game is gonna work, he may not come back as good that way. This is his way of playing, but it doesn't mean he can't improve.

What about all the recent injuries Nadal`s been having:confused:
Don`t you think that Rafa`s style of muscling the ball around the court & basically defensive game style is in some way to explain for these kinds of injuris at his relatively young age:confused:
Or just bad luck??

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 02:42 PM
:topic: oh back to topic before this turns into another Fed vs. Rafa debate.;)

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Don`t you think that Rafa`s style of muscling the ball around the court & basically defensive game style is in some way to explain for these kinds of injuris at his relatively young age:confused:
Or just bad luck??

I vote for bad luck, the world just isn't fair. No but I do think he could cut down on all the running. He lets the opponent dictate play way too much. He lets his opponent run him all over the court, I.E Blake. And then he has to rely on his diffensive game to win it for him, which has worked up till now, but it's taken it's toil on his body.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Or just bad luck??
A bit of both I guess. My point is that he can't restructure his whole game, this is how he has been playing for 20 years. Its not easy to just change it all. Its different in golf, I mean its a much slower game, plus you can play til a much older age. Its not easy to just 'change' in particular when this has made him so sucessful. Its just not feasable I don't think.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Maybe he should just focus on improving those elements of his game that can be improved then he won't have to rely on his defensive game so much and that could cut so much running and maybe the injuries too. I heard Toni gave his number to some body I can't remember but I guess he is well known coach or something to help Rafa with his volleys, so there are looking for outside help, it seems.

FluffyYellowBall
02-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Yes hes already proved that he can win with his current game on hard courts but that should stop him from trying to improve his strokes and attacking game. Players have started to read his game while he is trying new things out there. We cant just expect him to end the year badly in 06 and become a whole new flat hard hitting player in only one off season right? He still young and takin it slowly after a good lesson he learnt from plaing most tourneys in 05. I have no doubt that he'll improve and continue to win majors other than the french. If he wasnt that motivated id lose confidence in him but he wont let himself go like that. ou dont just try and try with no results, they will come one day

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Yes hes already proved that he can win with his current game on hard courts but that should stop him from trying to improve his strokes and attacking game. Players have started to read his game while he is trying new things out there. We cant just expect him to end the year badly in 06 and become a whole new flat hard hitting player in only one off season right? He still young and takin it slowly after a good lesson he learnt from plaing most tourneys in 05. I have no doubt that he'll improve and continue to win majors other than the french. If he wasnt that motivated id lose confidence in him but he wont let himself go like that. ou dont just try and try with no results, they will come one day
I've no problem with him trying different things out, and improving himself. I mean that should just be a given. But my point is, its very difficult to change his game completely at his age. Its like asking change his style to Roddick's when he clearly can't. You must always work to your strengths. Of course he needs to become more agressive, but that will come with time and practice I believe. I'm sure he knows what the score is.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Maybe he should just focus on improving those elements of his game that can be improved then he won't have to rely on his defensive game so much and that could cut so much running and maybe the injuries too. I heard Toni gave his number to some body I can't remember but I guess he is well known coach or something to help Rafa with his volleys, so there are looking for outside help, it seems.

If that`s the case then that`s good;)
Rafa could really do with an old school coach to teach him the subtle volleys & ways to shorten points [Tony Roche would be perfect]:cool:

t0x
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Right now I think the thing missing from his game is a good return of serve... Nadal is a player who often just guesses what way the ball is going when playing somebody who can serve big, and for the world number 2 you'd expect more. A lot of people seem to be under the impression he's a great returner, but that's probably only because his stats were so boosted so much last year from the clay.

Thing is, return of serve can only be improved to a certain extent, after that it's all on talent. But if he could improve it a bit, and shorten more points up with finishing them at the net - I think he's a perfectly good HC GS contender.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I never got it or still don't get it when people say that they can't read some ones serve, how do you read some ones serves isn't it more like a shot in the dark, if I get to it great if not I'll try type of thing.

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I never got it or still don't get it when people say that they can't read some ones serve, how do you read some ones serves isn't it more like a shot in the dark, if I get to it great if not I'll try type of thing.

Obviously hand-eye coordination is important in reading a serve..
Federer does seem to have an unbelievably good set of eyes:cool:
Then there`s foot speed & arm reach~ both of which Rafa has;)
Then there`s the intangibles
>>> Instinct, anticipation~ what direction your opponent is going to go by the way they move their shoulders, ball toss etc...
Also generally being well balanced in terms of body weight distribution & location/type of muscles:devil:
For instance Mark Philipoussis has an awesome serve but his returns are sloppy~ with those long arms he should be able to reach most balls coming his way but he`s too top heavy [all his muscles in his pecs] that his legs can`t adjust quickly enough to get him where he should be:sad:

t0x
02-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Instinct, hand-eye co-ordination, reaction time. Federer, Davydenko and Murray for example never seem to move the wrong way. I see Nadal go the wrong way a lot of the time! Of course the people I mentioned are just naturally talented returners, but Nadal certainly can improve in this area to some extent. His first serve return is pretty poor right now... it would do him wonders against big serves if he could get a few more in play.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 05:45 PM
hum intresting, thanx for the knowledge.

DrJules
02-12-2007, 08:14 PM

For a player who has been world number 2 for almost 2 years, Nadal is probably disappointed with his non-French Open results. Wimbledon 2006 is the only time away from the French Open that Nadal has reached his seeded position since the French Open of 2005. At Wimbledon 2005, US Open 2005, US Open 2006 and Australian Open 2007 Nadal has not matched his seeding.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 08:16 PM
wait didn't he win all those titles between french 05 and french 06?

DrJules
02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Nadal should take advantage of being left handed.

He certainly should improve his serve. The slice serve of a left hander naturally goes to the backhand of right handers which has less reach than the forehand, particularly, in the case of double handers. Numerous easy points can be won by wide serves in the advantage court to the backhand of the right hander and then take the easy ball at the net. It was interesting at the Australian Open how many easy points Federer won serving this serve to the Gonzalez backhand in the advantage court. Nadal should as a left hander been able to expose the Gonzalez backhand far more than Federer with a left handed slice serve.

kobulingam
02-13-2007, 12:47 AM
If he limited his HC tournaments to the majors and a few TMS
HC tournaments, and played the rest on clay, he would do his joints a
favour. He won't get injured so much, and he would refine his
claycourt skills even more. He could win 10 FOs in a row with this
strategy. That would be pretty damn good.

Now if he starts attacking more, and flattening out his servce/
forehand, and make all those other changes people want him to make, he
could end up winning 0 more FOs and still not be good enough to win
any non-FO slams. AND, the extra HC tournaments could destroy his
joints and cut his career short. A big risk I think. I mean,
winning multiple FOs is a great career, why would he risk losing that?

CmonAussie
02-13-2007, 10:47 AM
If he limited his HC tournaments to the majors and a few TMS
HC tournaments, and played the rest on clay, he would do his joints a
favour. He won't get injured so much, and he would refine his
claycourt skills even more. He could win 10 FOs in a row with this
strategy. That would be pretty damn good.

Now if he starts attacking more, and flattening out his servce/
forehand, and make all those other changes people want him to make, he
could end up winning 0 more FOs and still not be good enough to win
any non-FO slams. AND, the extra HC tournaments could destroy his
joints and cut his career short. A big risk I think. I mean,
winning multiple FOs is a great career, why would he risk losing that?

Yeah there is a sense that perhaps Nadal is cutting off his nose despite his face:eek:
*In 2005 Nadal played 9-clay tournaments & won 8:worship:
*In 2006 Rafa played only 4-clay tourneys & won all 4:worship:
~~
Therefore he cut his clay schedule by more than half & perhaps it had a negative effect on his confidence>>> merely because he hasn`t won any tourney since RG last June [as he hasn`t played on clay since then]..
If he just refocussed on clay & played more tourneys at the beginning of the year [Brazil, Acapulco] plus a few after Wimby [Bastad, Gstaad] etc.. maybe it would be just the fix:confused:
Rafa made it hard on himself by claiming that he always wanted to be the 1st Spaniard to win Wimbledon;)
...Then by making the final last year the expectations shot through the roof>> since then he`s been unable to live up to those expectations [partly due to his own desires to be an all-court player]..
HOWEVER I`m still uncertain whether Nadal`s physically draining game can last much longer even on clay:confused:
..Clay might be easier on the joints but he`s not going to be able to have that foot-speed & retrieving skills forever on any surface!!

Rafa truly is an enigma~>> the rest of 2007 should give us a few clues..

CmonAussie
02-13-2007, 01:38 PM

:p
あなたは何言語をとりてめなく話しているの:confused:

*Mistaflava:eek:さんは最低テニスファンので標準語でも分からない:p :devil:

The_Nadal_effect
02-13-2007, 02:52 PM
if agassi can make a comeback and win a title so late in his career, what makes you think that Nadal cant do it. It is quite apparent from the way he got to QF in two hardcourt US and AO, that he is improving on all surfaces. Besides, even if he fell of his ranking for a couple of years, what will he be...22? 23 years old winning a US open doesn't sound bad.:worship:

The_Nadal_effect
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah there is a sense that perhaps Nadal is cutting off his nose despite his face:eek:
*In 2005 Nadal played 9-clay tournaments & won 8:worship:
*In 2006 Rafa played only 4-clay tourneys & won all 4:worship:
~~
Therefore he cut his clay schedule by more than half & perhaps it had a negative effect on his confidence>>> merely because he hasn`t won any tourney since RG last June [as he hasn`t played on clay since then]..
If he just refocussed on clay & played more tourneys at the beginning of the year [Brazil, Acapulco] plus a few after Wimby [Bastad, Gstaad] etc.. maybe it would be just the fix:confused:
Rafa made it hard on himself by claiming that he always wanted to be the 1st Spaniard to win Wimbledon;)
...Then by making the final last year the expectations shot through the roof>> since then he`s been unable to live up to those expectations [partly due to his own desires to be an all-court player]..
HOWEVER I`m still uncertain whether Nadal`s physically draining game can last much longer even on clay:confused:
..Clay might be easier on the joints but he`s not going to be able to have that foot-speed & retrieving skills forever on any surface!!

RAfa is an enigma, alright. I didn't know he made claims of wanting to be the first spaniard to win a wimby. But as usual, he played valiant:mad: .

I dont think its right to write him of on physical grounds, as along with his will, that is his great strength. He's the most natural athlete in the circuit. He could well be at the peak of his game in his mid twenties.:hatoff:

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2007, 04:24 PM
He can't rebuild his game. He's not 15 anymore.

kronus12
02-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Nadal is just injury prone at the moment he hasn't lived up to his seeding since wimby and how many months has it been since he's won a tournament?
that result must be playing on his mind not be able to make a final in.....what the last 8months.
I agree with most posters here he needs to refine the game he's already got and to me needs to hit more flat balls instead of topspin so he can control most points in the match. And also get someone with expertise in volleying not his uncle tony who's done great so far, someone like another poster mention roach.

kobulingam
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Clay is TIRING, but it doesn't hurt the body. If you're tired, you can take a week off, no big deal. If your joints ache, then it is a big deal (you're doing permanent damage each and every time.. little by little).

FluffyYellowBall
02-13-2007, 07:47 PM

20 is still young

DrJules
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM

Not possible for Nadal to achieve as Manual Santana (Spain) won Wimbledon in 1966.

CmonAussie
02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Not possible for Nadal to achieve as Manual Santana (Spain) won Wimbledon in 1966.

Sorry ~ Nadal`s wants to be the 1st Spaniard to win Wimby in the Open Era;)

t0x
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
20 is still young

In all fairness, even 20 is too old to make substantial changes to your game.

Of course he can gradually make changes and improve. But it could take years...

Peoples
02-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I agree a radical change is vital because he can't go on like this. First thing he needs to start playing with his natural right hand because GOATs like Federer play right handed. Then he should change to semi-western grip, stay on the baseline and start hitting flat balls and really go for them. Oh yeah and Toni needs to go and be replaced by a serve volley coach. The progress will be awesome no doubt about it. I would like his chances vs Federer.

Sunset of Age
02-14-2007, 01:54 AM

I'm not so sure about this statement, as other players have proved to be able to adjust their game way beyond his age, and I see no reason why Rafa wouldn't be able to do so! :)

There's, however, an element that I've not yet seen appearing in this discussion - the fact that Rafa's indeed very young, and with the process of growing up, one might well discover there's MORE to life than just tennis - winning tournaments and such might well not be the *only* thing one might want to achieve in life!

What I've seen of Rafa lately - he's developing himself as a personality - he has a girlfriend, he enjoys going out (hey, we've all seen those Shanghai Bar Pics, no? ;) ), having fun... and I can very well understand and relate to that. It might just well be that he enjoys his life very much at this moment, as any a young guy would do! Apart from dealing with his injuries and disappointments, he makes quite a happy impression to me lately, anyways.

Remember, he's been the *first *to downgrade those awful expectations set on him - didn't he mention that he'd be happy to end up within the Top Five players this year? I for one believe he was genuine and true when he said that.

Give the guy some time. I'm sure he'll come back with a vengeance! - when he feels up to it - it might even well happen very, very soon, as soon as the Clay Season comes up!

VAMOS, Rafa!!! :worship:

GlennMirnyi
02-14-2007, 02:12 AM

You're right.

The_Nadal_effect
02-14-2007, 06:54 AM
I'm not so sure about this statement, as other players have proved to be able to adjust their game way beyond his age, and I see no reason why Rafa wouldn't be able to do so! :)

There's, however, an element that I've not yet seen appearing in this discussion - the fact that Rafa's indeed very young, and with the process of growing up, one might well discover there's MORE to life than just tennis - winning tournaments and such might well not be the *only* thing one might want to achieve in life!

What I've seen of Rafa lately - he's developing himself as a personality - he has a girlfriend, he enjoys going out (hey, we've all seen those Shanghai Bar Pics, no? ;) ), having fun... and I can very well understand and relate to that. It might just well be that he enjoys his life very much at this moment, as any a young guy would do! Apart from dealing with his injuries and disappointments, he makes quite a happy impression to me lately, anyways.

Remember, he's been the *first *to downgrade those awful expectations set on him - didn't he mention that he'd be happy to end up within the Top Five players this year? I for one believe he was genuine and true when he said that.

Give the guy some time. I'm sure he'll come back with a vengeance! - when he feels up to it - it might even well happen very, very soon, as soon as the Clay Season comes up!

VAMOS, Rafa!!! :worship:

Absolutely true about his age being a worry for adjustment to his game. Look at Fed. He won his first slam at 22, isn't it? I'm sure even he experimented a lot till then, and maybe even after that. It is only in a Jan interview that he claimed he need not make any major changes to his game any more (not quoting the exact text).

As for Rafa, time is what he has plenty of, what he needs to get back is his peace of mind. Let us see how he performs in Dubai this month. I'm more interested now in his hardcourt performances.

Out of context, there's something I really like about him; its how impersonally he says, "Let us see..." He's very true.:angel:

The_Nadal_effect
02-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Chee...I never knew Rafa was right-handed. Enlighten me, no?

Sunset of Age
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Chee...I never knew Rafa was right-handed. Enlighten me, no?

Hi, The_Nadal_effect! :wavey:

Yes, he is! Rafa plays tennis left-handed, but does 'everything else' ;) right-handed. Look at him giving out autographs - you'll see he writes with his right hand.

His Tio Toni in fact taught him to play left-handed. At a young age he played double-handed, and Toni and he decided it would be most effective (which is oh-so-true) if he'd develop himself as a left-handed player. Good move, as even Feds has acknowledged that one of the reasons that Rafa gives him problems is the fact that he plays... left-handed!
The Nadals are smart people, no less! :D

And to reply to your earlier post: yes, I agree - one of Rafa's most adorable qualities is that he appears to be so genuine and honest about his assets. He never proclaimed himself as 'the greatest tennisplayer' or anything the like - he's always been humble about that, which is very contrasting to the majority of media hype-blurb and the expectations of some of his fans...
His most admired player? One Mr. Federer... ;)

Cute and nice. Can't wait to see them play doubles together one day!

Oh, and "Vamos!" means "Come on!" or something the like.

Dougie
02-14-2007, 04:12 PM

This is true. Small adjustments can be made, but changing his game is just not possible anymore. It´s also a question of character and personality. Nada will always be a baseline player. That doesn´t mean he can´t work on his serve and volley, for example, but he will always be a player who feels most comfortable playing from the baseline.

kobulingam
02-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Absolutely true about his age being a worry for adjustment to his game. Look at Fed. He won his first slam at 22, isn't it?

22? Guess again.

alsace
02-14-2007, 08:04 PM
with the process of growing up, one might well discover there's MORE to life than just tennis - winning tournaments and such might well not be the *only* thing one might want to achieve in life!.... he's developing himself as a personality - he has a girlfriend, he enjoys going out (hey, we've all seen those Shanghai Bar Pics, no? )

You betcha! And this could be driving Uncle Toni crazy! Of all the "young guns," Rafa was the most focused on tennis, no? When he was winning, his play was even more mental than physical. So is this new mental confusion more important than the changes he's making in his game? Only time will tell. Roger often says the reason for his success is his happiness with Mirka. But if Rafa gets too happy, he may not win again. Am I the only one who thinks this could be a bigger difference between them than their respective games?
;)

Sunset of Age
02-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this could be a bigger difference between them than their respective games?
;)

No, you're not! ;)

Rafa has enough time to reconsider his priorities in life, though. I count upon him to manage to find a good balance between 'fun in private life' and 'tennis' in due time. :D

Clara Bow
02-14-2007, 09:31 PM
And this could be driving Uncle Toni crazy! Of all the "young guns," Rafa was the most focused on tennis, no? When he was winning, his play was even more mental than physical.

I agree. There used to be a focus there- it seems both on and off the court that maybe has gotten a bit diluted. Remember- this was a kid who kept playing against Gasquet with a hairline fracture in his ankle.

It sounds like he still trains hard when he is at tournaments- but it seems like his desire to be at all tournaments at all times is no longer there. (Of course - that could be because of the wear and tear to his body- but the wanting to play through the pain is not there the way it used to be.) It seemed to me like he used to get most of his fun out of playing. Now it doesn't seem as if he has as much fun, but for sure has a lot of fun elsewhere. Since Nadal was so big so quickly at such a young age- I forget how young he really is.

He does need to make modifications to his game to ensure he has a longer career. I can't say an overhaul because 1) I don't want him to be a completely different player and 2) as others have said it goes against natural instinct. But- claybuster and alsace- I agree that he will in time likely find the balance between tennis and off the court stuff.

Sunset of Age
02-14-2007, 09:35 PM
^^ Well said, Clara.

stebs
02-14-2007, 09:54 PM
I agree. There used to be a focus there- it seems both on and off the court that maybe has gotten a bit diluted. Remember- this was a kid who kept playing against Gasquet with a hairline fracture in his ankle.

It sounds like he still trains hard when he is at tournaments- but it seems like his desire to be at all tournaments at all times is no longer there. (Of course - that could be because of the wear and tear to his body- but the wanting to play through the pain is not there the way it used to be.) It seemed to me like he used to get most of his fun out of playing. Now it doesn't seem as if he has as much fun, but for sure has a lot of fun elsewhere. Since Nadal was so big so quickly at such a young age- I forget how young he really is.

He does need to make modifications to his game to ensure he has a longer career. I can't say an overhaul because 1) I don't want him to be a completely different player and 2) as others have said it goes against natural instinct. But- claybuster and alsace- I agree that he will in time likely find the balance between tennis and off the court stuff.

I think at a young age when brimming with confidence and winning everyhthing in sight sometimes losing can be hard to take.

Whatever he may have said, I truly believe that Nadal was extremely confident that he would win Wimbledon. Maybe he wasn't saying it even to those he knew and maybe he wasn't even thinking it but I just got that sort of vibe of him that somewhere down there he felt defeat was out of the question (considering what I think that defeat did to him he took it very well). I think he felt like he was rising and rising and it would never stop. Now that he has to defend and go about the grind of tennis as a career it is harder to do. He will regain that confidence at some time but until it comes he will struggle. The adrenaline which he creates enabling him to get that intensity which we all know about has been largely absent. It was there againt Federer in Shanghai, I guess the occasion brings it out (remember that still doesn't garuntee victory). I guess it must be hard though, #2 against a guy getting to finals week in - week out and you're expected to do the same.

He is having a tough time but changing his game is not the answer as far as I'm concerned. He has his game and making himself an attackng player won't yeald rsults because he won't be great at it. He is great at what he does but he is not an all round player, his volley won't drastically improve due to to dodgy technique. Without an overhaul it is as good as it will get. his serve can get better but playing higher risk will mean more errors and standing close to the baseline will mean being beaten by winners more. I know some people think that is something worth doing but what it comes down to is if he starts playing like a hardcourter he will be beaten by hardcourters who can already do that but do it better.

kobulingam
02-15-2007, 02:43 AM
He is having a tough time but changing his game is not the answer as far as I'm concerned. He has his game and making himself an attackng player won't yeald rsults because he won't be great at it. He is great at what he does but he is not an all round player, his volley won't drastically improve due to to dodgy technique. Without an overhaul it is as good as it will get. his serve can get better but playing higher risk will mean more errors and standing close to the baseline will mean being beaten by winners more. I know some people think that is something worth doing but what it comes down to is if he starts playing like a hardcourter he will be beaten by hardcourters who can already do that but do it better.

Yes well said. I would like to add that if he changes his game to cater to hardcourt tennis, he won't be this unstoppable machine on clay anymore. So he might end up in some middle ground where he won't win any majors.

dorkino
02-15-2007, 02:02 PM
It's obvious Nadal relies more on defense and that's how it goes for him , he won't switch from one style of play to a completely different one, not now and i guess not ever.
So far , he can still win and on surfaces other than clay he's facing problems . So i believe he should invest what he has and try to improve his weapons. Like his serve, flattening his forehands , return of serve, using more of his flattened backhands shots. I guess this is not change in style or "rebuilding game" as much as it's improving or strengthening his shots.
This would give him a chance of cheaper points and more comfort even though i guess his defensive style won't change. It 'll just develop.

Following his matches a couple of years ago and until now shows he's working in this stage.

Getting more tactics is another stage and imho it comes with more experience and then comes calling for other coach's help and it all depends on evaluating results of the first stage which i believe is taking place this season and perhaps the next one.

The_Nadal_effect
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi, The_Nadal_effect! :wavey:

Yes, he is! Rafa plays tennis left-handed, but does 'everything else' ;) right-handed. Look at him giving out autographs - you'll see he writes with his right hand.

And to reply to your earlier post: yes, I agree - one of Rafa's most adorable qualities is that he appears to be so genuine and honest about his assets. He never proclaimed himself as 'the greatest tennisplayer' or anything the like - he's always been humble about that, which is very contrasting to the majority of media hype-blurb and the expectations of some of his fans...
His most admired player? One Mr. Federer... ;)

Oh, and "Vamos!" means "Come on!" or something the like.

Hi, CB! :wavey:

The only thing I was sure of about RAfa was that he scratches his famous deriere with his right hand...Thanks for throwing the light on his other right handed habits as well...lol.

Also, as far as his humility goes, he himself claims (on his site) it to be his biggest strength. And its a real challenge to maintain it, especially in something thats as physical as sports. Would he ever begin to be 'proud' of his humility, that might be dangerous and pull him down. If you check my other article, '' Rafael Nadal: In and out of form: An analyses..." (sorry, dont know how to link), you'll see I write of the danger of RAfa's attention going to his image keeping department, the way he looks and behaves, etc.

I remember in Shanghai MC last year, in the match against Nikolay Davydenko, he was really waiting for audience attention, at the towel break. Interesting ly, it upped his performance, alright and he hammered NikoD!

On-court Blitzkrieg:devil: , off-court chweety-pie:worship: , thats RAfa for us!

Shrinking Violet
02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I worry about the physical strain that Rafa has put on his body so early. He started the clock early in terms of playing top flight tennis and putting that sort of strain on his body and as a result he's never going to be playing into his 30s or even his late 20s I wouldn't think.

I honestly believe he has maybe another two or three years as a real, real top legitimate Slam winner in him and I am not sure if changing his game will do much to change that. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think his body will hold up.

As for his slump - the guy is 20 and has won two Slams already. I don't think he's ready for the knackers yard just yet. He's just going to have to work through this slump - every top player not called Federer will go through it at one point and I think Nadal will be no different. He has plenty of time to improve aspects of his game, but it would be stupid to go for a complete overhaul because he's had 6 months of so-so results. The guy is number two in the world for a reason and although he is having some problems I think he'll find a way to sort them out if he can stay fit.

Although getting a new coach would clearly help as well. ;)

The_Nadal_effect
02-16-2007, 08:26 AM
I worry about the physical strain that Rafa has put on his body so early.
I honestly believe he has maybe another two or three years as a real, real top legitimate Slam winner in him and I am not sure if changing his game will do much to change that. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't think his body will hold up.

Why do you only give him two years? I think he'll return with a more improved, perhaps less physical game in the next two-three years. He might lose his ranking in the middle. Let us see.

RonE
02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
I find it surprising that the mental aspect has hardly been discussed. It is however, linked with his play style but if he wants longevity at the top of the game he will find it very hard to achieve with his current game. The problem being not only physical exhaustion but mental exhaustion too.

Not being able to finish off points quickly enough means he has to rely on his intensity to keep him in the point and overcome his opponent's shotmaking. Yes, he does have incredibly intensity but the question is how much longer can he sustain it? I think a large part of this "regression" he seems to be going through is for the most part mental- some veneer of self doubt but also the fact that you just can't keep up that kind of intensity all year round year after year.

The reason Federer has so much success and is enjoying a long reign at the top is because he does not have to solely rely on his intensity match in and match out- often times it does result in him dipping in the middle of matches but ultimately his game is varied enough to win him quick points in a manner that does not require him to leave bits of himself out on the court each and every time.

So unless the issue of having to exert so much mental energy is resolved by way of changing his game I don't see how Rafa can keep this up- or rather I don't see how he can keep that intensity all year round month after month. He will most probably do well again on the clay but because he uses up so much energy during that 3 month span he is pretty much running on empty for the remainder of the year.

Sunset of Age
02-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Thank you, Ron, for this elaborate analysis.

I find it surprising that the mental aspect has hardly been discussed. It is however, linked with his play style but if he wants longevity at the top of the game he will find it very hard to achieve with his current game. The problem being not only physical exhaustion but mental exhaustion too.

I can't agree with you more - and I'd like to add that I've pointed this "Mental Thing" out before... at many an occasion, I may as well add. All I can further add is that I truly hope Rafa will manage to adjust his game as much as is needed.

The reason Federer has so much success and is enjoying a long reign at the top is because he does not have to solely rely on his intensity match in and match out- often times it does result in him dipping in the middle of matches but ultimately his game is varied enough to win him quick points in a manner that does not require him to leave bits of himself out on the court each and every time.

True, very true. I could only *wish* to be able to say anything to support the contrary, here...

So unless the issue of having to exert so much mental energy is resolved by way of changing his game I don't see how Rafa can keep this up- or rather I don't see how he can keep that intensity all year round month after month. He will most probably do well again on the clay but because he uses up so much energy during that 3 month span he is pretty much running on empty for the remainder of the year.

I'm afraid you're right here, Ron...
And no, I don't speak out my opinion because I'd perhaps have a secret agenda about bashing Rafa. Here's the TRUTH, nothing less - as sad as it may seem.

And that's why I entirely wish and hope Rafa will be able to adjust his game in the future - and, whatever else be happening - at least make his mark during the upcoming Clay Season.

stebs
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Besides, even if he fell of his ranking for a couple of years, what will he be...22? 23 years old winning a US open doesn't sound bad.:worship:

Nadal is not a superman. He cannot simply disappear for a few years and come back as someone who is good enough to win a slam on a quick HC. The US Open is the toughest surface for Nadal. He will be lucky to ever reach the final of that event.

t0x
02-16-2007, 10:42 PM
I agree. In some of his post-Wimby loses he's looked mentally fragile.

eg. Vs JCF I remember him losing 2 HORRIBLE tiebreakers. During the clay season all we heard was how Rafa 'lived for pressure situations'. Hrmm...

Sunset of Age
02-16-2007, 10:53 PM

eg. Vs JCF I remember him losing 2 HORRIBLE tiebreakers. During the clay season all we heard was how Rafa 'lived for pressure situations'. Hrmm...

Very true, but I I'd like to ask people to restrain themselves from bashing him for this. I think a lot of his losses were the direct result of him trying to adjust his game - which he really should do.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - give the guy a break! :angel:

stebs
02-16-2007, 11:05 PM

My post earlier in the thread explains my personal views on this.

Nadal struggled with the mental side of things due to pressure heaped upon him. He turned from being the plucky underdog, which is pretty damn easy to be, to being Fed mark 2. This is in the public eye btw not in game style or anything. For any normal guy this should do some overinflating of confidence and I think it appeared that silently that heppened to rafa which cumulated in the Wimby defeat having pretty nasty mental side effects.

The_Nadal_effect
02-19-2007, 08:22 AM
RAfa is going to be back with a bang in Dubai next week, no? Then, we will see.