Beginner Here [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Beginner Here

NEWLYHOOKED
02-12-2007, 01:24 AM
I started taking tennis two weeks ago for the first time in my life. I have had 2 private lessons thus far and find myself really struggling to understand or get my 2h backhand correct. I know 2 lessons is not a lot and I plan to take private lessons for a quite a while but I would like to hear from others out there and your experiences with learning the backhand.

Thanks,
NH

tennisismygame
03-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I had a lot of trouble getting my backhand good for a while. I don't really know why it was so hard. You just have to remember to grip it right and keep the head straight up and down, bend your knees, and follow through

What exactly are you having trouble with?

chewy
03-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I've had trouble with my 2h backhand since i got into tennis. i used to find myself running around the ball alot to hit a forehand instead. At times i can rip the bh crosscourt or dtl but it was too inconsistent.

Recently i read an article from a tennis lesson site that help improve my bh.
Basically you're suppose to lead/control with the arm/hand that holds the upper part of the racket. So, for a right hander it will be your left arm/hand.
ofcourse u have to get in position, knees bend n follow through over right shoulder.
I put this theory in practice, straight away i noticed the difference and results followed.:yeah:

u might already know this, but ive never been coached so this was really helpful for me, so don't give up.

NEWLYHOOKED
03-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks a lot. I have now had 5 lessons and feel much more comfortable with the 2hb. The more I relax the better I perform. I have always played sports that require more brut strength than finesse; as in the game of tennis. When I try to kill the ball, it flies.

I do find that once I start rallying and get more winded my technique begins to suffer.

At this point I am plain hooked so I guess it is all about repetition until my game gets better.

Thanks for your comment.