Safin: We're not here to rob the Chileans of their land." [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin: We're not here to rob the Chileans of their land."

dylan24
02-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Safin is one funny guy.

The Chileans thanked the home crowd but Russia's Marat Safin chastised them for whistling and heckling him at crucial points during his straight sets defeat by Gonzalez in Sunday's first reverse singles rubber.

"There's no need to insult people when they're playing," the big Russian said. "There's no need to shout between points. We're here to compete, and nothing more. We're not here to rob the Chileans of their land."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-davischilequotes_picture&prov=reuters&type=lgns

scoobs
02-12-2007, 12:06 AM
:haha:

Funny...though a total waste of time. It's Davis Cup. You will be heckled. It's practically the law.

DrJules
02-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Safin is one funny guy.

The Chileans thanked the home crowd but Russia's Marat Safin chastised them for whistling and heckling him at crucial points during his straight sets defeat by Gonzalez in Sunday's first reverse singles rubber.

"There's no need to insult people when they're playing," the big Russian said. "There's no need to shout between points. We're here to compete, and nothing more. We're not here to rob the Chileans of their land."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-davischilequotes_picture&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Hope Safin does not have to play Blake in New York or Nadal in Madrid.

DrJules
02-12-2007, 12:07 AM
:haha:

Funny...though a total waste of time. It's Davis Cup. You will be heckled. It's practically the law.

It the reason some of us dislike Davis Cup. Does not provide the best conditions for tennis of the highest quality.

scoobs
02-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Not always...true...it can inhibit good play...and sometimes it can bring out fighting qualities you rarely see out of DC competion

Vliegen this weekend for one - would he have fought tooth and nail like he did against Hewitt? Perhaps, but you do wonder if the extra motivation made a difference.

Ditto Andreev, and Chiudinelli.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 12:10 AM
tennis players need to grow a backbone, so what the crowd doesn't want you to win, huge surprise they want their hometown guys to win. wow

shotgun
02-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Not surprising at all that Safin complained about the crowd today and not on Friday.

Jimnik
02-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Welcome to South America, Marat.

lau
02-12-2007, 12:24 AM
It the reason some of us dislike Davis Cup. Does not provide the best conditions for tennis of the highest quality.

That´s not always true.

I didn´t watch this tie, but I doubt playing in Madrid or NY is worst than playing in Chile, Argentina or Brazil. It´s probably the same in some occasions.

Anyway, it´s DC, players who doesn´t play at home complain about the crowd, the crowd tries to make them 'suffer' during their time on-court , nothing strange there. :p

~EMiLiTA~
02-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Marat, you may not rob them of their land, but you will rob them of their women. :sobbing: And perhaps a few men, too. :hearts:

hahaha i reckon!

oscar_2424
02-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Safin is one funny guy.

He is such a baby, good think he didnt decide to be a soccer player.

NicoFan
02-12-2007, 01:24 AM
:lol:

I love Marat - he's so funny. :hug:

drf716
02-12-2007, 01:43 AM
haha!

Denise
02-12-2007, 01:47 AM
:haha: That's why I love him....so unique so funny! :worship:

atheneglaukopis
02-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Marat is confused that he wasn't voted "Most Popular Chilean Player" by fans. :p

Jlee
02-12-2007, 02:00 AM
:spit: LOL Marat!

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Go chileans, you can't doubt their commentment. ahhhh

I just have to say that the chileans are by far my favorite fans, I am actually a fan of the chilean fans, wild

*Viva Chile*
02-12-2007, 02:06 AM
LOL Marat :haha:

Marat is confused that he wasn't voted "Most Popular Chilean Player" by fans. :p

He was treated like a rock star here, so no cry baby Marat :p

Johnny Groove
02-12-2007, 02:07 AM
Marat is confused

I think this is sufficient :p

atheneglaukopis
02-12-2007, 02:07 AM
LOL Marat :haha:

He was treated like a rock star here, so no cry baby Marat :pMarat's day isn't complete until he's whined about something. :smash: :lol:

Magus13
02-12-2007, 03:27 AM
tennis players need to grow a backbone, so what the crowd doesn't want you to win, huge surprise they want their hometown guys to win. wow

I HATE YOU

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 03:31 AM
I HATE YOU

Oh do you hate me, c'on on a scale of 1 to 10 tell me how much :haha::haha: I might get off on it

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Safin is one funny guy.

It would have been funnier if Safin were Spanish.

alelysafina
02-12-2007, 05:45 AM
Marat, you may not rob them of their land, but you will rob them of their women. :sobbing: And perhaps a few men, too. :hearts:

:haha: :haha:

Gonzo Hates Me!
02-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Dr. Jules! It's time to retire the J-Block references!

Action Jackson
02-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Good old Marat as atheneglaukopis said. Marat will whine if there isn't something to whine about.

Black Adam
02-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Anyways in DC he will always face a hostile crowd. Just have to deal with it. Maybe it's something new to him since the Moscow crowd are always asleep. The worst will be if they make the final vs Argentina in Buenos Aires :devil: The J-Block could give him a tough time on a good day.

alfonsojose
02-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Safin :zzz:

alfonsojose
02-12-2007, 12:47 PM
It would have been funnier if Safin were Spanish.

Safin speaks Spanish :p

jazar
02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
typical safin

*Ljubica*
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM

I know this topic has been done to death so many times in so many dfferent threads here. but I just wanted to say how much I agree with you :)

Castafiore
02-12-2007, 01:24 PM
The atmosphere may not be pristine but I saw a couple of great matches!

Then again, I like that sort of atmoshpere: I had fun watching it...the Belgian crowd getting more and more excited, a bunch of Aussies getting more and more annoyed in the last match and making this gesture to the Belgians:
http://kentwell.net/glenn/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/TFR13.gif
;)

nisha
02-12-2007, 01:40 PM
thats why we love safin

Wednesday Addams
02-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Obligatory whining from Marat :lol: At least this one was enjoyable :p