Andreev def Massu 6-2 6-1 6-7 (1) 6-4 to win the tie for Russia 3-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andreev def Massu 6-2 6-1 6-7 (1) 6-4 to win the tie for Russia 3-2

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Too good Igor and he was the Player of the tie for sure.

Massu saved 3 match points I think and hardly won a point on Andreev's serve in the match.

Igor had a shocking conversion rate on the break points, but he got there in the end and congrats to the Russians going to Chile with a depleted team. Not many sides would have been able to do that.

TMJordan
02-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Time for Massu too retire :p

TheBoiledEgg
02-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Igor :banana: :D :)
another HERO in DC for Russia :yeah: :D :)
thats what you call playing your heart out.

so nearly messed it up again though :o

Exodus
igor saves the day after marat blew his match

Patxy
Sooo happy :D
Peru won.:worship:
Spain won.:worship:
Now Russia.:worship:

Russians' next contenders are France.
Quarters to be played in Russia's land. :)

ChinoRios4Ever
02-11-2007, 07:38 PM

the dream is over, this WAS THE CHANCE TO WIN THE DC... im so sad right now... :bigcry:

RickDaStick
Massu the goat

Vin Judah
igor The Hero Of Davis Cup Round 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Action Jackson
Massu crumbled again playing at home.

LocoPorElTenis
02-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Chile :hug: :tears:

Now I want another Argentina-Russia final :devil:

scoobs
Well done to Andreev, in particular - he really came through for the Russians this weekend...

gusman890
time for a rematch of last years QF ;)

Deathless Mortal
I would say it was expected win, i didn't expect much better performance by Massu than it was on Friday... Congrats Andreev. :D

+alonso
First of all, Congrats to the Russians, a great accomplishment for them :hatoff:

It was a solid performance from Andreev, Nico had no answers at the beginning but I enjoyed a lot that 3rd set. He is a warrior for me and I don't give a shit about the rest :)
Well, I'm out of here before I start reading some Massu bashing, 'cause everyone on MTF swear/think that can play better than him :lol: Jerks :p.

Fergie
:bigcry:

Alvarillo
02-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Igor :bounce: :worship:
Nico :nerner:

Sandra
Igor :worship: :yeah:

nolop
masuu hits the ball soooooo slow:rolleyes:

Sooo happy :D
Peru won.:worship:
Spain won.:worship:
Now Russia.:worship:

Russians' next contenders are France.
Quarters to be played in Russia's land. :)

chileans hater:ras:
;)

Minotaur
02-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Not really. Andreev is just a better player now. He played like David Ferrer level today. That's all.

TheBoiledEgg
02-11-2007, 07:41 PM
France at home next ........
wonder what surface to use........ clay me thinks.

win that then a SF vs Germany or Belgium.

*Viva Chile*
02-11-2007, 07:42 PM
All chileans are so sad right now :sad: The dream is over...

But we have to recognize that Igor was THE BEST PLAYER of this tie :hatoff: (both teams), congrats to him, he showed that he really has kudos for dispute a decisive point for his country.

NicoFan
02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
First of all, Congrats to the Russians, a great accomplishment for them :hatoff:

It was a solid performance from Andreev, Nico had no answers at the beginning but I enjoyed a lot that 3rd set. He is a warrior for me and I don't give a shit about the rest :)
Well, I'm out of here before I start reading some Massu bashing, 'cause everyone on MTF swear/think that can play better than him :lol: Jerks :p.

Me too. :sad: I don't know why I let these assholes comments bother me, but for some reason, I do. :shrug:

Congrats to Andreev - he did great to win both singles matches in Chile. Since I first started watching him, I knew he was going to be a top player.

Sadness for Nico and Chile. They fought hard though, and I'm very proud of both of them. :yeah:

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Not really. Andreev is just a better player now. He played like David Ferrer level today. That's all.

Look at Massu, he can't win his hometown title and loses in the final and when he was needed here, he didn't come through.

No doubt Andreev deserved to win, but there is a thing with Massu playing in Chile at the moment.

TheBoiledEgg
02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
, but there is a thing with Massu playing in Chile at the moment.

there's a problem with Massu playing anywhere or anyone these days.

Andre♥
France at home next ........
wonder what surface to use........ clay me thinks.

win that then a SF vs Germany or Belgium.

Clay???

Well, maybe that's the best option. Gasquet is great on clay, but who would be the 2nd player? Mathieu? :tape:

But I would go for carpet. Well, Russia is the favourite in any surface.

Minotaur

Well, thanks. Maybe I'm a little rude but Nico's golden days seem to be over. I was really impressed with his game when he won Olympics back in 2004 but almost 2,5 years made him no younger. And Chilean tennis seem not to have any other player that can hit Gonzo's level now. Since this Chile lost and Russia won.

Anyway Nico fought very brave in the end.

BORO77
02-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Chile :hug: :tears:

Now I want another Argentina-Russia final :devil:

Would be nice. Only this time Argentina must win:worship:
I hope Canas will be on the team the whole season.

Sparko1030
02-11-2007, 07:46 PM
First a big :ras: for all the mean things being posted about Nico.

:sad: :hug: for Nico :hug: for all the Chileans

Congrats to the Russians! :hatoff: They, esp Andreev, came through for Russia. Not the results I wished for but what an exciting tie!!! Its been fun weekend of tennis.

zicofirol
02-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Look at Massu, he can't win his hometown title and loses in the final and when he was needed here, he didn't come through.

No doubt Andreev deserved to win, but there is a thing with Massu playing in Chile at the moment.

yup massu is done, Capdeville would of given more of a fight than massu, massu choked the whole series.

MarieS
02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
way to go igor :yeah: He carried the team for the weekend.
I hope this is precursor to his season :D

GonzoFed
02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Congrats Igor for overcoming the little choking in the TB of the third set and serving like a beast in the fourth. Massu fought hard but Andreev was too powerful for him. Basically Nico was mauled and it was an ugly thing to see. He needs to fix whatever the problem is (physical, mental, or both) and start to hit harder. I know his BH is not great but during some patches it was really bad, hitting it to the center and short.

Wednesday Addams
02-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Way to prove people wrong, Igor!! :yeah:

:hug: for all the Chileans. Your guys didn't handle the pressure too well this weekend :awww:

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
there's a problem with Massu playing anywhere or anyone these days.

Yes, he seems to be struggling badly of late.

Funny when I saw Andreev you could see he needed some matches. Once he gets his 40 tournaments up for the year, then he could be back to his old form.

The Chileans will remember that forehand.

MariaV
02-11-2007, 07:57 PM
IGOR IS MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :inlove: :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown: :hearts: :inlove: :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:

Yeah, sorry for the lovely Chileños, best of luck in September! :hug: :hug:

The Russian reporters that were in La Serena thanked all the Chileños for great reception and they said they would thank the Chileños even if Russia had lost. :hug:

Musashi
02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I was rooting for Chile, and I knew Massu wouldn't be able to pull it through, he seems to crumble in important moments lately :(. I would've wanted Capdeville to play that final instead :O!

MariaV
02-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes, he seems to be struggling badly of late.

Funny when I saw Andreev you could see he needed some matches. Once he gets his 40 tournaments up for the year, then he could be back to his old form.

The Chileans will remember that forehand.

George, Igor tennis is soooooo smart! And his backhand has got better too! :D
He said in the 3rd set he got tired and tight because of the lack of match practice lately and Nico got lifted by the crowd and by the fact that Igor couldn't break. The break at the start of the 4th was crucial!
Shamil T is as sly & great captain as they come! :lol:

Poor Guy Forget will not like the trip to Moscow again. :haha: :haha:

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
George, Igor tennis is soooooo smart! And his backhand has got better too! :D
He said in the 3rd set he got tired and tight because of the lack of match practice lately and Nico got lifted by the crowd and by the fact that Igor couldn't break. The break at the start of the 4th was crucial!
Shamil T is as sly & great captain as they come! :lol:

His backhand was never bad, he just didn't want to hit it. I mean he couldn't hang in Easter Island and try and hit forehands.

Russia and France again, go the Russians.

Patxy
02-11-2007, 08:04 PM

:lol: :haha:

Yay Russia :worship:

Mara_M
02-11-2007, 08:05 PM
:smoke: Igor is a hero :banana:

Minotaur
02-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I would've wanted Capdeville to play that final instead :O!

You must be kidding. Capdeville struggles vs. Fraile and he is not a clay courter in a first place.

AnnaK_4ever
02-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not gonna say a word as I have already said everything I want to say in the other *cough* deleted *cough* thread. Massu is a joke and Andreev had a good laugh at him. I'm glad Igor has such a good sense of humour!
:p :p :p

*Viva Chile*
02-11-2007, 08:09 PM
IGOR IS MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts: :inlove: :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown: :hearts: :inlove: :hatoff: :worship: :bowdown:

Yeah, sorry for the lovely Chileños, best of luck in September! :hug: :hug:

The Russian reporters that were in La Serena thanked all the Chileños for great reception and they said they would thank the Chileños even if Russia had lost. :hug:

it's "chilenos" not chileños :p

MariaV
02-11-2007, 08:09 PM
His backhand was never bad, he just didn't want to hit it. I mean he couldn't hang in Easter Island and try and hit forehands.

Russia and France again, go the Russians.

Seems they've worked well with Altur in the offseason. He did not run behind his FH as much as Gonzo and Massu did! :shrug: He was smart to run both Gonzo and Massu around in his matches. Yeah! Davai Igor! :banana: :yippee: :bounce:

bellascarlett
02-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Igor!!!! :bounce: :woohoo:

Great play and thanks for carrying Russia to the quarters! You just gotta love the Russian team - they came over with a depleted team and as underdogs with lots of ppl writing them off - and well, still won. They are arguably the most balanced and complete team out there.

Good luck in the quarters! :)

MariaV
02-11-2007, 08:12 PM
it's "chilenos" not chileños :p

OK, my mistake, sorry. :hug:

lilimi80
02-11-2007, 08:14 PM
congratulations, igor! you saved the russian team!
igor + clay = danger ;)
fergie and other Chile supporters :hug:

PlayOnClay
02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Massu is a has-been.
:ignore:

GonzoFed
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Due to his current form you couldn't have asked more for Massu that the effort he gave today. Feña blew the tie against Igor. His AO form came back two days late.

Meeek
02-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow. Well done Russia, Igor :bowdown:

Sorry for Chile...

shotgun
02-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Very sad weekend for the Chileans, anyway congrats to Andreev and the Russian team.

Bad Religion
02-11-2007, 09:55 PM
A tier 3 -4 player like Andreev was enough for Russia in order to defeat Chile

DrJules
02-11-2007, 10:14 PM

I felt the key match in the tie was Andreev vs. Gonzalez on day 1.

Given the current form of Gonzalez and Andreev this was the day 1 match Chile expected to win. Obviously the day 1 match enhanced Andreev's confidence for day 3.

scoobs
02-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Agreed - I rather felt it needed Gonzalez to win all his three points for Chile to do it, and thought that looked easier with a weaker Russian team, but Andreev stepped up and Gonzo's return to form came a day too late...

Galathea
02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I felt the key match in the tie was Andreev vs. Gonzalez on day 1.

Given the current form of Gonzalez and Andreev this was the day 1 match Chile expected to win. Obviously the day 1 match enhanced Andreev's confidence for day 3.

Yes. ALl now is *Massu should retired*, *he's the one to blame*. Okay, but even if Massu's numbers sucked (in the 2nd set Andreev only needed win 25 points to have it), don't foget that Chile is out because Gonzo lost in a humiliating way to Andreev too. He won against Safin today, but his friday match was basic. It's to easy to insult MAssu now (not that he's not to blame, he was horrible) but I think chilean fans should point Feña too. After all, in Massu current state this is not a surprise. He was there basically for the doubles, Gonzo was the one for the singles.

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 10:23 PM
To be honest, judging by Massu's previous results playing for Chile, I thought the tie would be over on Saturday. :o

For sure, Andreev took everyone by surprise, especially Gonzalez.

cobalt60
02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree with DrJ- the Gonzo-Igor match was the turning point. But it isn't fair to blame anyone. Some players play so well that their opponents can't find their legs while others can't change their gameplan fast enough to turn it around. Sometimes you have to make and take your chances and opportunites. The Russian team was able to do that better and Igor stepped up.
Sorry to the Chileans on this board- I know you wanted this tie badly and it seemed like a great opportunity this year.

*Viva Chile*
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
A tier 3 -4 player like Andreev was enough for Russia in order to defeat Chile

unpatriots like you doesn't deserve to carrying the chilean flag behind the username. :rolleyes:

Bad Religion
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
unpatriots like you doesn't deserve to carrying the chilean flag behind the username. :rolleyes:

You know , I´m not fan of Gonzo , either Massu but in Davis Cup I root for them .

Gonzo losing against a tier 3-4 player like Andreev was the key , it´s all his fault IMHO.

ps : termina con lo de antipatriota para conmigo , ellos no me gustan como juegan tenis pero los apoyo en copa davis . tu afirmación no es cierta .

NicoFan
02-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Andreev isn't a 3-4 tier player. I think he's got what it takes to be a top player.

And it's no one's fault. Both Nico and Fernando tried their best - meaning the best they can at this particular moment. But sometimes your best at a particular moment isn't enough. They both have played and worked hard for Chile their entire careers. Respect them for that even if this weekend wasn't a win.

Fernando was tired. Going to the finals of a Slam is not only physically demanding but mentally also. Then travelling all the way back to Chile halfway around the world, playing three matches at Vina, and then the pressure of Davis Cup.

And Nico is having his problems. No need to go through them on GM - that's what the player's forum are for.

So a loss. They will recover. They will win again.

*Viva Chile*
02-11-2007, 11:34 PM
You know , I´m not fan of Gonzo , either Massu but in Davis Cup I root for them .

Gonzo losing against a tier 3-4 player like Andreev was the key , it´s all his fault IMHO.

ps : termina con lo de antipatriota para conmigo , ellos no me gustan como juegan tenis pero los apoyo en copa davis . tu afirmación no es cierta .

You always bash chilean players when you have the opportunity to do it, it's so annoying, if you don't like them, at least as a chilean reserve your comments or simply play for your country if you think you can better results than Feña and Nico. Put the spanish flag besides your username if you want but I really think that you doesn't deserve to carry the chilean one. I'm sick of people of my own country, besides of journalists, "opinologos" and all that kind of crap that always bash the best of ours without cause. This is the last thing I will reply to you, because I don't want to read you anymore... IGNORE LIST, period.

Denise
02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Igor :kiss::banana::worship:

RUSSIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

tiziano27
02-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Andreev, amazing tennis. He had gonzalez and massu running all over the court with his super top-spin FH.

Warrior
02-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Impressive effort by Igor. I hope this is the year for him.

ys
02-12-2007, 01:51 AM
It's soooo easy to jump on Chileans who lost to Andreev. Much easier than realise that anyone - including Federer and Nadal - would find it extremely difficult to beat Igor on this surface. Igor's game is tailor-made for slow high-bouncing clay. He can't really play very well on anything else. But this surface is simply designed for his game built on constant running around his backhand and applying that extremely heavy and topspin-rich, world-class inside-out forehand in place of, in fact, very poor backhand of his. Anything much faster than this and he is in trouble. But when the surface plays like this, there not too many players in the world who'd be favourites against him.. So, go easy on Chilean players.. That was indeed an unlucky choice of surface. It would have worked against Safin, against Davydenko, against Youzhnyi, surely agaisnt Tursunov.. They all really like it faster. But not against Andreev. Who would have taken him - someone who has just skipped an year because of injury - into account when choosing surface.. Tough luck.. After the match has started and the reports were that the surface is slow, I knew that Chileans dug their own grave by that and Andreev will be their undertaker. Good luck in playoffs guys.. Hope we play your great players next year in Moscow ( we need to have more regular customers - like our French friends .. just/kidding ) ..

Minotaur
02-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Andreev isn't a 3-4 tier player. I think he's got what it takes to be a top player.

And it's no one's fault. Both Nico and Fernando tried their best - meaning the best they can at this particular moment. But sometimes your best at a particular moment isn't enough. They both have played and worked hard for Chile their entire careers. Respect them for that even if this weekend wasn't a win.

Personally, as i'm Russian. I think that Igor was a bit lucky to win that 2nd match vs Gonzo. Igor played extremely well that time of the match Gonzo lost control of his shots (you know Gonzo is a bit moody player). When Gonzo found his true game it was however all over as Andreev was in lead 46 63 62 5*1...

Minotaur
02-12-2007, 06:25 AM
It's soooo easy to jump on Chileans who lost to Andreev. Much easier than realise that anyone - including Federer and Nadal - would find it extremely difficult to beat Igor on this surface. Igor's game is tailor-made for slow high-bouncing clay. He can't really play very well on anything else. But this surface is simply designed for his game built on constant running around his backhand and applying that extremely heavy and topspin-rich, world-class inside-out forehand in place of, in fact, very poor backhand of his. Anything much faster than this and he is in trouble. But when the surface plays like this, there not too many players in the world who'd be favourites against him.. So, go easy on Chilean players.. That was indeed an unlucky choice of surface. It would have worked against Safin, against Davydenko, against Youzhnyi, surely agaisnt Tursunov.. They all really like it faster. But not against Andreev. Who would have taken him - someone who has just skipped an year because of injury - into account when choosing surface.. Tough luck.. After the match has started and the reports were that the surface is slow, I knew that Chileans dug their own grave by that and Andreev will be their undertaker. Good luck in playoffs guys.. Hope we play your great players next year in Moscow ( we need to have more regular customers - like our French friends .. just/kidding ) ..

You must have never visited Kremlin Cup tournament. :eek: This 'clay court specialiast' can perform great not only on clay.

jazar
02-12-2007, 07:43 AM
another pretty easy win for andreev. he was the last man to beat rafael nadal on clay and will be the next man to beat him on clay

ys
02-12-2007, 10:27 AM
You must have never visited Kremlin Cup tournament. :eek: This 'clay court specialiast' can perform great not only on clay.

Who cares about mickey mouse stuff like that.. And ... Did he beat a top 5 player there?

Minotaur
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Who cares about mickey mouse stuff like that.. And ... Did he beat a top 5 player there?

Not. But this is not a question... He played great.

He also destroyed Roddick in IW last year. Top 5 player?

I mean i'm not surprised Igor played like this because i saw it all before. He really can perfom.

ys
02-12-2007, 01:17 PM
He also destroyed Roddick in IW last year. Top 5 player?

Back then? Not even close.. Only my grandmother was not beating Roddick back then.. Can he do it now?

gulzhan
02-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Russian DC team :worship:

Three of the top players are out (on different reasons though :o) and the fourth takes all the weight on his shoulders and becomes a hero! :yeah:

From an old Russian movie--- Hung and shoot us, you won't be able to hung and shoot all of us! :devil: :lol:

Merton
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Congrats to Russia, that was a great result for Andreev who is not at 100% yet. He was clearly the top player of the tie, that was an excellent result for him. Now Russia will likely choose clay against France, this is the 3rd straight year these two teams meet.