DC QFs: USA vs ESPAÑA in Winston Salem, North Carolina --> Carpet or Hard, NO Grass [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

DC QFs: USA vs ESPAÑA in Winston Salem, North Carolina --> Carpet or Hard, NO Grass

Alvarillo
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
The QFs will be played in the city of Winston Salem in North Carolina.
Spanish emdia said that probably we will play on carpet or fast hard court but no grass.

Do we have possibilities???? :rolleyes:

*Viva Chile*
02-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Surprising decision if is true... but I think that Roddick will ask for Mission Hills again like they did it against Chile.

Anyway, Carpet or a really fast hardcourt is not bad either. :shrug:

AnnaK_4ever
02-11-2007, 05:14 PM
QF to be played after Miami, right? Before clay court season? Hard -> grass -> clay transitions would be pretty hard for players so that's rather logical decision. And Blake is not very good on grass, btw.

Oh, and I'm almost sure Nadal won't play the tie.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-11-2007, 05:19 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

WHAT?

krakenzero
02-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Nadal can beat Blake on Grass. I'd choose a really fast hard, or indoor carpet.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
No, it's been decided already. As I said in the other thread, Winston-Salem made the USTA such an awesome financial offer that they said they couldn't refuse it and they didn't even look for other places. It's in Winston-Salem, indoors. Already been 100% confirmed and decided.

Luna
02-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Little chance considering the surface.It really remainds me the final 3 years before.:cool:
Nadal vs Roddick and Nadal vs Blake....will he play:confused:

case
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
No, it's been decided already. As I said in the other thread, Winston-Salem made the USTA such an awesome financial offer that they said they couldn't refuse it and they didn't even look for other places. It's in Winston-Salem, indoors. Already been 100% confirmed and decided.

:bounce: maybe i can go . I have relatives in NC!! who also are big tennis fans.
Please let it be in nc.. :bounce:

Deboogle!.
02-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Please let it be in nc.. :bounce:It is. It's official. It was announced last week or so.

case
02-11-2007, 05:40 PM
It is. It's official. It was announced last week or so.

:worship: Ty deb! actually they live in the NC outer banks but i can easily get them to make drive!!
ill finally get to see REAL tennis. hope nadal shows up-that would make it perfect.

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't see why Andy or any of the American team would prefer grass. Looking at Spain's DC results over the past few years, indoor carpet sounds much safer. It would certainly make Blake happier.

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 05:47 PM
The surface = as fast as logistically possible.

mangoes
02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I think it's important to have a surface that favors Andy. I really thought the USTA would make that the basis for their decision. I think this surface still gives the Spanish team some favorable chances. Blake isn't exactly dependable when it comes to DC so Nadal has a good chance of scoring his first win against Blake during the tie.......

scoobs
02-11-2007, 06:00 PM
The surface = as fast as logistically possible.
Maybe they can make the Swiss an offer for the "criminal court" :)

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Maybe they can make the Swiss an offer for the "criminal court" :)

Too slow.

They should play on wood and the night before polish the floors to make it quicker and have .0000001mm of carpet over the polished boards.

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
If Verdasco can get his head screwed back on by this tie then he has a chance vs Roddick and Blake. But i doubt Nadal will play so it may not matter.

scoobs
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Too slow.

They should play on wood and the night before polish the floors to make it quicker and have .0000001mm of carpet over the polished boards.
:haha:

DrJules
02-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't see why Andy or any of the American team would prefer grass. Looking at Spain's DC results over the past few years, indoor carpet sounds much safer. It would certainly make Blake happier.

If the USA play on grass, carpet or hard court (3 surfaces) the USA win. Only on clay (1 surface) do Spain win.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't see why Andy or any of the American team would prefer grass. Looking at Spain's DC results over the past few years, indoor carpet sounds much safer. It would certainly make Blake happier.As long as the indoor surface is fast enough, I doubt it will much matter either way, really.

ys
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Would be questionable, me thinks.. Nadal is very decent on grass, and Lopez definitely better than Blake on it..

*M*
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Which Spaniards do you think will play the tie? Valencia starts on Apr. 9 -- will be tough for those planning to play there.

mrserenawilliams
02-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Lopez better than Blake on grass? :scratch:

Last time I checked, Blake owned lefties, but I could be mistaken :shrug:

Snowwy
02-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I cant see Roddick losing to either on grass, or the Bryans losing in doubles so grss would be pretty safe.

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 07:19 PM
How many times does this need to be said:

USA HAVE ALREADY PICKED INDOOR CARPET!!!

Stop talking about grass already.

gomarray
02-11-2007, 07:38 PM
The tie will be played at the Joel Coliseum, which is indoor, so it will have to be carpet or hard.

I'm very excited since I live in Winston, although unfortunately I have to run a USTA Junior tournament that weekend. I hope I will have time to see one of the Friday matches.

BlakeorHenman
02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
My Hometown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dorkino
02-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Alvarillo
The QFs will be played in the city of Winston Salem in North Carolina.
Spanish emdia said that probably we will play on carpet or fast hard court but no grass.

Do we have possibilities???? :rolleyes:
:shrug: Insignificant.

Sjengster
02-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Well he has made the QFs of Wimbledon with straight-sets wins over Safin and Ancic; Blake's only really impressive win on the surface was probably Roddick at Queens last year, which was undeniably a big scalp.

Chris Seahorse
02-11-2007, 09:59 PM

The only left hander to beat James Blake in the last FIVE years is Iraki Labadze who, quite remarkably accomplished the feat twice.

Still I would rate the Lopez of 2002-05 as having a better than 50-50 chance against Blake on grass. However as Lopez is presently the Lopez of now and not the Lopez of 2002-05 and the surface of choice will be an indoor hard or carpet surface, this last point is really quite irrelevent.

Alexandy
02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I'd have to give the edge to the U.S. team...but Feli (I know he's playing badly this year) is pretty good on the faster surfaces. So is Verdasco, Robredo's not too bad either. Ferrer isn't totally hopeless. So it would be really difficult, but I think Spain has a chance.

I'm rooting for Spain to win.

kobulingam
02-11-2007, 10:36 PM
QF to be played after Miami, right? Before clay court season? Hard -> grass -> clay transitions would be pretty hard for players so that's rather logical decision. And Blake is not very good on grass, btw.

Oh, and I'm almost sure Nadal won't play the tie.

Whatever the surface, USA already up 1-0 because of the Bryans.

Problem is, Spaniards can play pretty well on HC (Robredo is pretty good). So if they go to Grass, Roddick will probably get 2 singles, and Blake can do whatever he wants.

Johnny Groove
02-11-2007, 10:54 PM
why do some people think nadal wont play? :retard:

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 10:57 PM
I doubt that Robredo will play, judging by his h2h with Andy and James. Nadal and Ferrer is probably the best option, although I wouldn't fancy their chances whoever they played.

In fact, Spain will do well to keep the tie alive for Sunday.

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 11:16 PM

could it be because he is a huge pus*y?

scoobs
02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Nadal will play unless he's genuinely injured. I don't think he's the type to ever back away from a good scrap unless he has no choice and would enjoy the challenge of taking on America in the USA this time.

nobama
02-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Whatever the surface, USA already up 1-0 because of the Bryans.

Problem is, Spaniards can play pretty well on HC (Robredo is pretty good). So if they go to Grass, Roddick will probably get 2 singles, and Blake can do whatever he wants.How can they play on grass when the venue and surface has already been decided? :confused:

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
No, you're mixing him up for some reason, with that guy in your avatar. You know the one who'll never win a slam for as long as he lives.

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 11:39 PM
No, you're mixing him up for some reason, with that guy in your avatar. You know the one who'll never win a slam for as long as he lives.

Nice try but Nadal has retired/withdrawn from more matches in the last year than Ljubo has in his career. Its probably because his ass doesnt always hurt from Lopez pounding it all night.

kobulingam
02-11-2007, 11:40 PM

Nadal would be stupid to play.

Miami -slow slow hardcourt. Then DC against USA on FAST indoor
carpet. Then RG speed clay on Monte Carlo. You expect Nadal to go
through this sequence, and then win Monte Carlo against Fed?

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-11-2007, 11:53 PM

I'd rather he played Davis Cup, he can take a break from Miami if need be. And yes he can beat Fed at MC if he's just come off DC, he's an extremely fit guy.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Nice try but Nadal has retired/withdrawn from more matches in the last year than Ljubo has in his career. Its probably because his ass doesnt always hurt from Lopez pounding it all night.
Ljubicic doesn't really need to worry about withdrawing from events, seeing as he gets knocked early most of the time. Hardly gonna exert him physically.

gusman890
02-12-2007, 12:37 AM
USA is going to beat Spain none the less, Roddick always seems to do well in DC, the Bryans are a Shoe-in, and Blake is ether hot or cold.

guga2120
02-12-2007, 12:42 AM
I think the Americans should earn it, put it on a Really Slow clay court.:) I would love to see Nadal play Roddick on slow red clay.

Johnny Groove
02-12-2007, 12:57 AM

still bitter about the ass kicking Ljubo got today? :)

ahh, you ARE still bitter :D

If there is anyone with the fitness to do that, its Rafa.

guga2120
02-12-2007, 01:14 AM
There is no question the Americans will be the big favorites here, and you know there going to make the surface as fast as possible, it will proably be like playing on glass. Even Rafa 100% it would be doubtful if they could pull this out, b/c of the surface they will put down.

Jlee
02-12-2007, 02:10 AM
I just want to see Roddick/Nadal! I hope Nadal plays...

Kalliopeia
02-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Nadal will play unless he's genuinely injured. I don't think he's the type to ever back away from a good scrap unless he has no choice and would enjoy the challenge of taking on America in the USA this time.

Besides, he's pretty devoted to Davis Cup. He'll play unless he's injured, I feel pretty sure about that.

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 02:31 AM
still bitter about the ass kicking Ljubo got today? :)

ahh, you ARE still bitter :D

Not talking about fitness. I'm talking about the change of surfaces.

tangerine_dream
02-12-2007, 02:40 AM
After two and a half years, the Andy/Rafa match is all I want to see. Bring it. :rocker2:

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 02:43 AM
After two and a half years, the Andy/Rafa match is all I want to see. Bring it. :rocker2:It might not necessarily happen, especially if James plays him on Friday :p

tangerine_dream
02-12-2007, 02:45 AM
It might not necessarily happen, especially if James plays him on Friday :p
Dream killer. :bigcry:

Grinder
02-12-2007, 02:46 AM
It might not necessarily happen, especially if James plays him on Friday :p

James needs to take over that number one American spot quickly then. :p

Indian Wells and Miami crowns back to back. :rocker2:

:lol:

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 03:29 AM
James needs to take over that number one American spot quickly then. :p

Indian Wells and Miami crowns back to back. :rocker2:

:lol::lol: :lol:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/roddick_davis_cup_021107.html

"According to USTA.com's Jason Brown, the tie will be played indoors on a fast hard court."

You should go to the tie, Seth :)

RogiFan88
02-12-2007, 03:51 AM
I'd have to give the edge to the U.S. team...but Feli (I know he's playing badly this year) is pretty good on the faster surfaces. So is Verdasco, Robredo's not too bad either. Ferrer isn't totally hopeless. So it would be really difficult, but I think Spain has a chance.

I'm rooting for Spain to win.

USA sure didn't waste any time, did they? :p Robredo play DC? Depends on if Sanchez wants him in the team... Rafa already downplaying ESP's possibilities of winning the DC QF vs. USA, saying they basically have no chance to win the dbles, that USA will be the faves, playing at home altho he's sure they won't choose the same Taraflex surface SUI had.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Yes, they should definitely play Robredo. On Friday against Roddick

:devil: :haha:

Sjengster
02-12-2007, 04:02 AM
Yes, they should definitely play Robredo. On Friday against Roddick

:devil: :haha:

Give the Spanish captain some credit, Deb. :p

ys
02-12-2007, 04:08 AM
The second front seat in American squad is up for grabs.. Blake? Not sure.. Could very well be Fish..

World Beater
02-12-2007, 04:12 AM
screw hardcourt.

let them play on cement or why not asphalt. :lol:

wood isnt fast enough.

World Beater
02-12-2007, 04:14 AM

not a fitness issue. its a wear + tear issue. playing on three different surfaces within a small space of time is an injury waiting to happen. rafa hasnt shown himself to be the most durable of all the players.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 04:17 AM
Give the Spanish captain some credit, Deb. :pI do, i'd fall out of my chair if that were to happen ;)The second front seat in American squad is up for grabs.. Blake? Not sure.. Could very well be Fish..I think something drastic would have to happen at the 2 Masters events to get PMac to consider someone else. If so, it would probably be Fish who would be the one, but he has a way to go still to get back in the squad. Wouldn't be surprised to see him there with the team though. :)
not a fitness issue. its a wear + tear issue. playing on three different surfaces within a small space of time is an injury waiting to happen. rafa hasnt shown himself to be the most durable of all the players.It's not like Rafa is the only one who will be doing this. Last year the US guys went from Miami (slow HC) to grass to red clay, this year will be the same. for all of them, not just Rafa. The difference is that Rafa has a lot lot lot more riding on the following clay season, but it's no more wear and tear on him than any of the other players. :shrug:

acoffeygirl
02-12-2007, 04:22 AM
Deb you always do this....come to GM and make sense. This is not the place for that. Stop it! ;)

Sjengster
02-12-2007, 04:38 AM
It is worth pointing out that the US players will most likely not be in Monte Carlo, whereas Nadal almost certainly will, so that gives him a little less time.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 04:44 AM
It is worth pointing out that the US players will most likely not be in Monte Carlo, whereas Nadal almost certainly will, so that gives him a little less time.But they'll play Houston immediately after DC :p And you know, Houston is more important than Roland Garros :D

nobama
02-12-2007, 04:55 AM
USA sure didn't waste any time, did they? :p Robredo play DC? Depends on if Sanchez wants him in the team... Rafa already downplaying ESP's possibilities of winning the DC QF vs. USA, saying they basically have no chance to win the dbles, that USA will be the faves, playing at home altho he's sure they won't choose the same Taraflex surface SUI had.Do you have a direct line in to Nadal's camp or something? :lol:

World Beater
02-12-2007, 04:58 AM
It's not like Rafa is the only one who will be doing this. Last year the US guys went from Miami (slow HC) to grass to red clay, this year will be the same. for all of them, not just Rafa. The difference is that Rafa has a lot lot lot more riding on the following clay season, but it's no more wear and tear on him than any of the other players. :shrug:

point taken, but i believe i clarified my position in the final sentence. roddick doesnt play the same style as nadal. roddick can breeze through matches relying on his bomb serve while rafa is running marathons 15 feet behind the baseline. for rafa it may be too much but others may be able to manage.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 05:15 AM
point taken, but i believe i clarified my position in the final sentence. roddick doesnt play the same style as nadal. roddick can breeze through matches relying on his bomb serve while rafa is running marathons 15 feet behind the baseline. for rafa it may be too much but others may be able to manage.Oh well, that's Rafa's problem :lol: I'm not gonna give him any more sympathy than any of the other guys playing the 4 ties in April that are gonna have to do mostly the exact same thing :lol:

Kalliopeia
02-12-2007, 05:42 AM
USA sure didn't waste any time, did they? :p Robredo play DC? Depends on if Sanchez wants him in the team...

I don't see Robredo playing. He probably won't want to, and even if he does, Emilio Sanchez didn't seem very happy with him not wanting to play this time.

Here's what he had to say about Tommy not playing this tie:

"Tommy has been quite sure since December that he wanted to take a rest in February and concentrate on preparing for the next part of the season," said Sanchez Vicario when commenting on the absence of the present world no.6 from the Spanish team. "I tried to convince him, but if that is his choice I have to accept it," he stated.

"I imagine he's still keen to represent Spain and he'll be available in future. But we have to play a tie away from home against first class players on a surface that does not suit us and that's hard," said Emilio Sanchez Vicario. "He is thinking of his ranking and his career, while I'm thinking of making up my team. He is thinking more of his career in a difficult situation, and, in the future, if I'm in a difficult situation I'll be thinking of the team. We'll see what happens, but first of all we have to win this one," he commented on Robredo's Davis Cup future.