Does bad blood run beween Schuettler and Kiefer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does bad blood run beween Schuettler and Kiefer?

Ace Tracker
03-27-2004, 05:58 AM
As Rainer Schuettler's return sailed long and Nicolas Kiefer clinched the third set Tiebreaker, Schuettler ostensibly ignored Kiefer's extended hand and chose instead to shake hands with the umpire only... I only watched parts of the final set tiebreaker, so cannot comment if Rainer was upset with Kiefer's behaviour in this match, or if the Germans do not have a good relationship... Does anybody have any information on this?

Lee
03-27-2004, 06:01 AM
They have been playing doubles whenever they are in same tournaments this year and would likely to partner up for DC. Rainer gets along with all other German players. He may not be as good friend with Kiefer as with Haas, but I never heard any problem between them.

Leo
03-27-2004, 06:04 AM
:eek:

I wish I knew what happened. Kiefer's on-court antics can be a bit obnoxious and maybe Schuettler was upset at that. Or maybe Schuettler was simply being a poor sport. That would be unlike his usualy self, although, of late, he hasn't been playing like his usual self either. Rainer certainly doesn't have a chance anymore to play #1 singles for the next Davis Cup tie. That will go to Kiefer, I'd imagine, and rightfully so. Haas is still a question mark.

WyveN
03-27-2004, 06:32 AM
#1 and #2 are decided by rankings Leo. Whether Schuettler will be chosen in the first place is of course another matter.

I find it hard to believe they didn't shake hands, probably the lowest thing you can do on a tennis court.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-27-2004, 11:29 AM
they are playing doubles together against Bhupathi/Mirnyi in the first round so theyd want to sort their problems out pretty quick

star
03-27-2004, 02:41 PM
As Rainer Schuettler's return sailed long and Nicolas Kiefer clinched the third set Tiebreaker, Schuettler ostensibly ignored Kiefer's extended hand and chose instead to shake hands with the umpire only... I only watched parts of the final set tiebreaker, so cannot comment if Rainer was upset with Kiefer's behaviour in this match, or if the Germans do not have a good relationship... Does anybody have any information on this?

That demonstrates Rainer's impeccable taste. :)

ktwtennis
03-27-2004, 05:47 PM
they are playing doubles together against Bhupathi/Mirnyi in the first round so theyd want to sort their problems out pretty quick :haha: that's too funny! I certainly hope so!

KarstenBraasch#1
03-27-2004, 05:55 PM
Surprising :eek: but well done Rainer ;)

Kiefer playing DC :devil: that would be fun ;) :lol:

Raquel
03-27-2004, 06:44 PM
I think Nicolas Kiefer is not very popular. Did he not have a public slanging match with Boris Becker a few years ago and fall out with the German Federation? When he played Tommy Haas years ago in the first round at Wimbledon they barely shook hands. I don't think those two get on either. And didn't Kiefer and Agassi have words as well? Agassi accused Kiefer of copying his game and look and Kiefer was not too happy, but I can't remember what he said about Agassi.

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Kiefer can rub up people the wrong way and is a bit of a dick. Yes, Becker and him had words and his relationship with Haas isn't great, but there have been worse on the tour.

Agassi is right in many ways Kiefer is a poor mans Agassi.

amethyst
03-27-2004, 07:18 PM
There have been irritations between all german Davis Cup players (and former captains) in the past. They accused each other of all kinds of stupid things (for example not supporting each other enough during DC ties). But lately all have made some effort to get along better and make a real team for Davis Cup. Schuettler and Kiefer playing doubles more frequently is part of that effort. I haven´t seen anything of the Schuettler-Kiefer match, but I´m quite surprised they didn´t shake hands.

joeb_uk
03-27-2004, 07:24 PM
GWH ;) what are some of the worst relationships youve heard of on tour?

TennisLurker
03-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Gaudio and Coria

joeb_uk
03-27-2004, 07:30 PM
whats the situation with these two lurker?

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 07:36 PM
joeb read this thread and scroll down to post #513 and that's where most of them start from, though there are others as well.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=8365&page=13&pp=40

Raquel
03-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Gaudio and Coria
Did you see their match last year in Hamburg? It was a great match but you could tell they didn't like each other. Coria was injured and was taking his time and limping and Gaudio was not happy at all.

joeb_uk
03-27-2004, 07:39 PM

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Coria isn't exactly known for his honesty and it wasn't just that Raquel, though that would help.

heya
03-28-2004, 12:55 AM
Sour grapes from Shittler. *faints His cold body language is so shocking.