Hewitt over Rochus 6-2, 6-3. 6-7. 3-6.6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt over Rochus 6-2, 6-3. 6-7. 3-6.6-1

Xristos
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Yay!

gusman890
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
2 5 setters in one weekend, wow lleyton.. :)

Deathless Mortal
02-11-2007, 04:53 PM
But one lost ;)

Anyway, good fight, almost choke :tape:
Go Vliegen!!!

freesbee
02-11-2007, 04:55 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

what a painful way to lose after coming back :sad:

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Go Chris! It would be fantastic coming back from 2-0 down and away :yeah:

scoobs
02-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Ollie's guts never in question - looks like his legs ran out at the end though.

Well done to Hewitt for keeping Australia in it.

gusman890
02-11-2007, 04:57 PM
This would be good for Lleyton's confidence going into next week's tournaments.

jes_021
02-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Vintage Lleyton match :lol:

Oli :hug:

NYCtennisfan
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Vintage Lleyton match :lol:

Oli :hug:

Sure was. :)

CmonAussie
02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Hewitt`s only played 7-matches in 2007
already he`s played 3 5-setters & 2 4-setters!!
I think this is part of his plan to get quality practice in for the rest of the season!!<:)

Langers
02-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Lleyton! What a sensational performance. :worship:

His first two sets were some of the best tennis he’s played for quite a while. He hit a staggering 24 winners in the second set alone and some of them were amazing. :eek: He was two points away from winning in straight sets when Rochus was down 0-30 serving at 5-6 however Rochus fought extremely well and made Lleyton work and work.

You’re all heart Lleyton. Another Davis Cup victory, another 5 set victory.

Cmon Aussie Cmon! :worship:

Raquel
02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Well done Lleyton :worship: :woohoo:

Wish I could have seen this match. Always good to see Lleyton is full on Davis Cup fighting mode :)

Vin Judah
02-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Hewitt`s only played 7-matches in 2007
already he`s played 3 5-setters & 2 4-setters!!
I think this is part of his plan to get quality practice in for the rest of the season!!<:)

dont forget adeleide! or dont MM events count?`:p

Hagar
02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Lleyton! What a sensational performance. :worship:

His first two sets were some of the best tennis he’s played for quite a while. He hit a staggering 24 winners in the second set alone and some of them were amazing. :eek: He was two points away from winning in straight sets when Rochus was down 0-30 serving at 5-6 however Rochus fought extremely well and made Lleyton work and work.

You’re all heart Lleyton. Another Davis Cup victory, another 5 set victory.

Cmon Aussie Cmon! :worship:

Excellent match from Lleyton. Although I'm Belgian, I was happy that Belgium drew Australia and especially that Lleyton played because it was a good chance to see him play on TV.

He was serving and returning very well, and his netplay was on as well. This match showed once again that he is one of the best players on the ATP although his recent results were disappointing. I also thought he looked very comfortable on the clay. If he plays like this, he's an outsider for Roland Garros.

Kudos to Ollie for making Lleyton work for it but in the end he did not have enough in the tank. To beat Lleyton Ollie needed to play at his best the whole match and that simply is not possible.

TheBoiledEgg
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
4 hr match and only 1 TB
and most games won by loser in other sets was 3 :eek:

bad gambler
02-11-2007, 06:06 PM
well done lleyton

Langers
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Excellent match from Lleyton. Although I'm Belgian, I was happy that Belgium drew Australia and especially that Lleyton played because it was a good chance to see him play on TV.

He was serving and returning very well, and his netplay was on as well. This match showed once again that he is one of the best players on the ATP although his recent results were disappointing. I also thought he looked very comfortable on the clay. If he plays like this, he's an outsider for Roland Garros.

Kudos to Ollie for making Lleyton work for it but in the end he did not have enough in the tank. To beat Lleyton Ollie needed to play at his best the whole match and that simply is not possible.
Well said, agree with everything.

Hewitt has impressed me at the net during this tie. Whenever he’s come in he’s looked confident and he’s had great touch. He doesn’t overplay the ball and his drop volley is very effective. I would like to see him come in more often.

Hewitt is surprising me with his play on clay. He played extremely well during the French Open last year, and he even troubled Nadal during the 4th Round. If he can continue the form he showed today then he should achieve some good results in 2007!

Neely
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Congrats Lleyton! :yeah:

Hagar
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Well said, agree with everything.

Hewitt has impressed me at the net during this tie. Whenever he’s come in he’s looked confident and he’s had great touch. He doesn’t overplay the ball and his drop volley is very effective. I would like to see him come in more often.

Hewitt is surprising me with his play on clay. He played extremely well during the French Open last year, and he even troubled Nadal during the 4th Round. If he can continue the form he showed today then he should achieve some good results in 2007!

I have always found Lleyton one of the most complete players on the ATP. I think he is really underestimated because his play is not as spectacular as Federer's or Roddick. But he is very talented and masters all the departments of the game very well. He is very skilled and often makes beautiful points at the net but it is not really his comfort zone.

As far as clay is concerned, Lleyton is doing well on that surface despite not having played on it when growing up. But I have seen good matches from him at Roland Garros. Unfortunately, over the last years, he so bloody often draws the later winner in a Slam. Look at this year's AO, he gets redhot Gonzo on his plate when you know that from all the other players still present in that stage, he could probably have beaten 90% of them.
Lleyton moves well on clay, today he was sliding often and he does that as good as anyone.

ASP0315
02-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Congrats Lleyton. :yeah: "the five set" king :yeah:

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 01:30 AM
dont forget adeleide! or dont MM events count?`:p

:wavey:
I was including Adelaide~> Hewitt`s still only played 7-matches in 2007 so far & three were 5-setters & two were 4-setters;)

yakuzaninja
02-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Last time Hewitt really impressed me was in RG. Lleyton the claycourter? Never thought it!

CmonAussie
02-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Last time Hewitt really impressed me was in RG. Lleyton the claycourter? Never thought it!

:wavey:
Theoretically clay could be Hewitt`s best surface but he never plays enough clay matches to truly get comfortable;)
*2001 & 2004 French Open QF
*2001 Rome & Hamburg SF
*2004 Hamburg SF
*2001 Def Guga Kuerten [then #1] on clay in Brazil in straight sets
*2000 Def Albert Costa [then #10] on clay in Spain

Hola Mr. SK
02-12-2007, 02:51 AM
well done, Lleyton, things could be better if he won against VLG though.
Ollie's level has dropped compared to last year it seems. :sad:

krystlel
02-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Great match. :yeah: It was good to see Hewitt raise his level after the disappointment on day 1. There were some really exhausting rallies and also, credit to Rochus for somehow finding a way to claw his way back into the match when it seemed like Hewitt had the match under control.