del Potro def Melzer 7-6(4) 3-6 6-4 4-6 6-2 to lead Argentina into DC QFs [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

del Potro def Melzer 7-6(4) 3-6 6-4 4-6 6-2 to lead Argentina into DC QFs

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 04:36 PM
:worship: del Potro

Comes in for his first tie away from home and handled the pressure to seal the deal for Argentina and take them into the quarter finals against the Swedes.

Great introduction into Davis Cup.

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
They might give Sweden a few problems if JMPD and Nalbandian play.

scoobs
WELL DONE to JDMP to win his first 5 set match and under such pressure.

Great effort from the Argentine team all weekend to win this tie without Nalbandian - they owed him that one.

Deathless Mortal
Young del Potro decided the tie :eek:

:worship:

Bilbo
02-11-2007, 04:38 PM
expected win by Argentina over Austria

scoobs
02-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Trial by fire for JMDP and he came through with flying colours...keep an eye on him this season.

guille&tati4life
02-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Well played Argentina :bigclap:

Johnny Groove
JMDP is crazy :yeah:

Horatio Caine
Incredible stuff! :eek: :worship: :bounce:

Melzer must be feeling pretty sick of his DC performances :tape:

lau
02-11-2007, 04:40 PM
:banana:

Well done Juan!! :worship: First DC match, first 5 sets match played and deciding the tie to make your national team reach the 2nd round in DC!! That´s really something! :D
I´m sure this must be quite a moment for him :bounce:

marcelwks
02-11-2007, 04:40 PM
great win :)

but Melzer even lost with Rusedski on clay :lol:

Iván
02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
I cant believe i put asutria to win the tie.

VERY bad judgement from me.

Melzer hit 90 winners in this match. I still think jurgen can potentially be a great player.

just needs to get his head in order

Clara Bow
:yeah: This has to be a great balm for JMDP after fading in five sets at the Oz Open.

Woot! I am very happy for Del Potro. I just really, really like this kid. :)

Melzer sure had a lot of winners although JMDP was not to shabby himself. Nice to see both having a good winner/UE differential: 89/53 for Melzer and 65/25 for Juan Martin.

Chileno
Easy for Argentina, great game by JMDP, I thought these kids couldn't win in five sets. Gutsy display.

Fergie
Juan! :yeah:

Tennis-Engineer
02-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Well done Del Potro :) Good start in DC.

Gonzalo81
02-11-2007, 04:46 PM
JMDP :worship:

What a great match to make his presentation in DC...

He showed he can handle the pressure..

Congratulatios!

VAMOS ARGENTINA CARAJO!

Peoples
02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I hope he was properly tested for banned substances :rolleyes:

LocoPorElTenis
02-11-2007, 04:54 PM

I hope some day you won't be as bitter :rolleyes:

Clara Bow
02-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Wow- always lovely when a great win by an 18 year old brings out unfounded smears against his integrity. Gotta love that.

Galathea
Congrats to Juan :worship: :worship: :worship:
One of my favorite players.

Now, and sorry but I have to say this Mancini made a bad choice that went incredible. There was no way to know how JMDP would react on a 5 set and playing with preassure because he never did it. And replacing the single 1 gives the rival more confidence. At least at first. It wasn't like in Russia with Chela where Luli made a huge mistake and went bad. Here it went well, but almost didn't.. Juan made an exceptional performance. But his inexperience showed in some parts (5-1 with serve) wich is was logical and understandable. Mistakes in hits and tactics. But were equilibrated with exceptional tennis. But those mistakes with another player more stronger mentally than Melzer could cost the match.
The problem is another: Chucho didn't play because a minimun cold with a little fever that didn't affected him (as some people there said). Calleri played with vomits and Nalbo did it sick and also injured (like in the final tie and in the first tie in 2006 too). Now Chucho didn't when on TV and for comments from people there he was peachy? :mad: Sorry but I have to say that.

Anyway, all the credit and merit to Juan!!!
And again, Mancini saved his ass (the good performance Chucho made against Safin made forget some people about Chela). But that's another discussion for another thread maybe.

Now with Nalbo and JMDP? Great team, plus Cañas seems to be back in great form.
I think maybe Nalbo and Juan could be a good double couple (with exception of Russia, Nalbo has more than 90% of efectivity in doubles with the DC).

gusman890
good win for JMDP and Argentina :)

maria87
02-11-2007, 04:57 PM
JM did it very well and managed to take off the pressure and win the match and the rubber for Argentina. He prooved Mancini was right picking him for play this point. Meltzer played with energy and heart, had some good moments in the match, but JM prevailed finally, and maybe Meltzer got tired and JM was more fresh. Well done, JM :worship:

Galathea
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I hope some day you won't be as bitter :rolleyes:

He has the mind of a kindergarden kid. :retard:
And seems that to have a good time he can only made critics to the other. Better to look and his favorite player and some tournament he couldn't play for some medicine that was not eliminated in time :shrug:

GonzoFed
02-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Welcome to the big leagues kid :worship:

lau
02-11-2007, 05:02 PM
And seems that to have a good time he can only made critics to the other. Better to look and his favorite player and some tournament he couldn't play for some medicine that was not eliminated in time :shrug:

He/She is just jealous we have a bandwagon to jump on :aparty: :p

Peoples
02-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow- always lovely when a great win by an 18 year old brings out unfounded smears against his integrity. Gotta love that.
He won a tough 5 setter against an experienced clay player. It raises questions. There are all sorts of bad-influence people with all kinds of habits in that team :o

maria87
02-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Congrats to Juan :worship: :worship: :worship:
One of my favorite players.

Now, and sorry but I have to say this Mancini made a bad choice that went incredible. There was no way to know how JMDP would react on a 5 set and playing with preassure because he never did it. And replacing the single 1 gives the rival more confidence. At least at first. It wasn't like in Russia with Chela where Luli made a huge mistake and went bad. Here it went well, but almost didn't.. Juan made an exceptional performance. But his inexperience showed in some parts (5-1 with serve) wich is was logical and understandable. Mistakes in hits and tactics. But were equilibrated with exceptional tennis. But those mistakes with another player more stronger mentally than Melzer could cost the match.
The problem is another: Chucho didn't play because a minimun cold with a little fever that didn't affected him (as some people there said). Calleri played with vomits and Nalbo did it sick and also injured (like in the final tie and in the first tie in 2006 too). Now Chucho didn't when on TV and for comments from people there he was peachy? :mad: Sorry but I have to say that.

Anyway, all the credit and merit to Juan!!!
And again, Mancini saved his ass (the good performance Chucho made against Safin made forget some people about Chela). But that's another discussion for another thread maybe.

Now with Nalbo and JMDP? Great team, plus Cañas seems to be back in great form.
I think maybe Nalbo and Juan could be a good double couple (with exception of Russia, Nalbo has more than 90% of efectivity in doubles with the DC).

sorry but i don't agree....you cannot say "Mancini did a bad choice and went well" Los pingos se ven en la cancha. In the court we see the facts: JM did well and he could do it in the fith very well. He could win 6-1, ok he was broken but then he broke again and won. You cannot say it was luck. Facts are facts on court.

On the other hand, Chucho was not the one who decided not to play cause he had cold. He said on TV yesterday that he was ready to play, was Mancini who considered JM was the best choice. And he was right, no matter how much i love Chucho, he was right. :)

Denaon
He won a tough 5 setter against an experienced clay player. It raises questions. There are all sorts of bad-influence people with all kinds of habits in that team :o

:retard:

Anyhow...congrats to JMDP and Argentina!!! :D :banana:

Action Jackson
Chucho well, there were always going to be doubts as to whether he would last the 3 days after not having played so many matches.

Luli did the right thing if there were doubts and Juan showed good temperament and it's good that he had an opponent like Melzer who has a poor DC singles record.

Peoples
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
:confused:
What? Maybe you should go take some english classes :lol:

*Ljubica*
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I am no fan of DC, but I am pleased for JM that he has proved to himself that he can play and win five sets, after the Gonzales match at the AO. He really cried at the end bless him :awww:

Denaon
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM

:retard: :retard:

Galathea
02-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Maybe, but I don't need to have better information about what happened related to dopping or possible dopping like you obviously must do.

Neely
Granted, good debut by del Potro, but partially also really poorly played by Jürgen. His backhand was so pathetic :help: he dumped the ball into the very bottom of the net numerous times at big points :o

Deserved win for del Potro at the end, he also got a very bad decision against him to 30-30 at 5-1 as Melzer's return was clearly out which gave him the possibility to lose serve and think twice about serving it out the 2nd time (if Melzer reached that far :o )

Fast surface by the way, really a big difference in the way the ball bounced if you compared the indoor surface of Germany/Croatia to this one.

lau
For haters victories are a bigger thing than for fans :)

scoobs
02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
I thought JMDP deserved his chance, and he took it quite brilliantly.

I feel really happy for him; this will be a big confidence boost and it's a great help to the Argentine team having another player who can play on quicker surfaces - indeed, seems to prefer them.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Argentina "B" crushed Austria at home... :eek:

my god when Nalbandian back Argentina could be almost impossible to beat

justClaudia
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
:banana:

Juan Martin! well done, I'm happy for him. :D And congrats to Argentina.

joeb_uk
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Nice to see they put him in a match that was actually worth something, and not a worthless dead match. Probably the right time to have done that (in a live match, against the right opposition). I doubt many teams would have the balls for that, too many pussys!

Vin Judah
02-11-2007, 05:21 PM
great pick by mancini!

jazar
02-11-2007, 05:22 PM
great and ature performance from jmdp. he is really going places

Galathea
02-11-2007, 05:24 PM
sorry but i don't agree....you cannot say "Mancini did a bad choice and went well" Los pingos se ven en la cancha. In the court we see the facts: JM did well and he could do it in the fith very well. He could win 6-1, ok he was broken but then he broke again and won. You cannot say it was luck. Facts are facts on court.

On the other hand, Chucho was not the one who decided not to play cause he had cold. He said on TV yesterday that he was ready to play, was Mancini who considered JM was the best choice. And he was right, no matter how much i love Chucho, he was right. :)

I don't agree. Mancini replaced Chucho with someone that never played a 5 sets match for a decisive point. JMDP could have a lot of confidence, but sometimes in court that could go against him. In a lot of parts it showed his lack of experience wich was logic and acceptable. So it went well, but the risk was huge when Chucho could play today with no problems. Besides the incredible way JMDP played today, we had luck because Melzer is not strong mentally. He didn't take advantage of Juan's inexperience and the mistakes he made because of that.
I know the intern of the DC's team, and I often heard a lot from people close to Mancini about how and more important why he makes choices.
He had luck today about JMDP dealing with all the pressure (that was the problem not his tennis, I like him more than Cañas and Acasuso). But it was not the time to test him when you have another choices. If Mancini wanted Juan, he had the friday to do it and have Chucho today.
My problem is not Juan, it's Mancini. Probably because I know how he is.
The only REAL choices that he made by himself were Chela on Russia and today JMDP. Acasuso in Argentina as second single? The merit he got for that decision? It wasn't him, it was Nalbo's choice . And there are more like that. (and before someone suggest that: the fight in Moscow was for some stupidity and nerves, was not for Chela, even when Nalbo didn't agree at all with that)

And this is not related to Juan. I was the one who thought on him as second single. It's about the moment.

But anyway, as always one thing is making critics when it went wrong and another pointing certain tendences that could be a problem in the future when we won.
Maybe not the time to do it. But I preffer to say it now because when someone lose is easy to do it.

my god when Nalbandian back Argentina could be almost impossible to beat

That's my thougth exactly ;)
Good luck for today

maria87
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
This is what Davis Cup site commented on JM win

Argentina finds a new hero
Eighteen-year-old Juan-Martin Del Potro made a sensational debut for Argentina on Sunday, defeating Jurgen Melzer in five sets to send his country through to the quarterfinals of the 2007 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas.

With Argentina 2-1 up after the first two days, Argentine captain Alberto Mancini chose to replace Jose Acasuso with Del Potro for the first reverse singles, and the move paid off, the teenager overcoming Melzer 76(4) 36 64 46 62 in three hours 26 minutes.

The win proves that Argentina are still a powerful force without their talisman David Nalbandian, and that their strength in depth keeps growing.

Host nation Austria must now play in September's Play-offs for the chance to retain their World Group status.

maria87
02-11-2007, 05:33 PM
He had luck today about JMDP dealing with all the pressure (that was the problem not his tennis, I like him more than Cañas and Acasuso). But it was not the time to test him when you have another choices. If Mancini wanted Juan, he had the friday to do it and have Chucho today.

I got it you have problems with Mancini's choice. I agree with you about Chela decision but today Luck was not the thing which made JM win. You cannot say that a boy of 18 year old who won the point for his country in the fifth 6-2 did it just with luck, sorry. Luck doesn't count here. You could have say that maybe if he had won with a last point in a tie-break but not winning 3 sets over 2 of his adversary, and the last with the score 6-2. This is not luck, are facts on court, doesn't matter how much do you like Mancini.

scoobs
02-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Mancini took a gamble - that's what a lot of DC captains have to do.

It paid off - he deserves the plaudits, as well as Del Potro.

If it hadn't, he would have deserved the criticism. He accepts that and keeps taking the decisions he feels are best :shrug:

Galathea
02-11-2007, 06:02 PM
I got it you have problems with Mancini's choice. I agree with you about Chela decision but today Luck was not the thing which made JM win. You cannot say that a boy of 18 year old who won the point for his country in the fifth 6-2 did it just with luck, sorry. Luck doesn't count here. You could have say that maybe if he had won with a last point in a tie-break but not winning 3 sets over 2 of his adversary, and the last with the score 6-2. This is not luck, are facts on court, doesn't matter how much do you like Mancini.

No, no, no. Please, no. As I said, after Nalbo, he's my favorite argie player. I didn't mean that JMDP won by luck I meant that Mancini didn't know how Del Potro was going to react under pressure. And was lucky about the result of THAT
Not all the teams have players like Nalbo, Acasuso, Cañas that can manage nerves and pressure like they do. See Gaudio. And not only in his career but also at the DC too (after Calleri won againt Ferrero he let pass the match!). Not all the players can managed pressure well. Nobody knew how JMDP was going to react because he never was in that situation, not even in his career (before Nalbi's debut, he was finalist in Wimbledon). When the match ended Del Potro started to cry and tremble. After that he said he was with cramps due to the nerves. He could get over and win NOT BY LUCK, but talent. Nobody knew, not even him, how he was going to react because he never was on a similar situation. How many proffesional player s can't handle the pressure of the DC? And testing that with a decisive point, having other choices, is a mistake.
We have luck that JMDP could handle the pressure. But nobody knew that. that was the luck I talk about.

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 06:06 PM
We have luck that JMDP could handle the pressure. But nobody knew that. that was the luck I talk about.

Never going to know, unless they are put under this situation.

Captains have to take risks, it's part of the job and take the heat for the ones they get wrong.

Warrior
02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
del Potro continue to impress. He is definately a player to watch out for this year.

*Ljubica*
02-11-2007, 07:53 PM
No, no, no. Please, no. As I said, after Nalbo, he's my favorite argie player. I didn't mean that JMDP won by luck I meant that Mancini didn't know how Del Potro was going to react under pressure. And was lucky about the result of THAT
Not all the teams have players like Nalbo, Acasuso, Cañas that can manage nerves and pressure like they do. See Gaudio. And not only in his career but also at the DC too (after Calleri won againt Ferrero he let pass the match!). Not all the players can managed pressure well. Nobody knew how JMDP was going to react because he never was in that situation, not even in his career (before Nalbi's debut, he was finalist in Wimbledon). When the match ended Del Potro started to cry and tremble. After that he said he was with cramps due to the nerves. He could get over and win NOT BY LUCK, but talent. Nobody knew, not even him, how he was going to react because he never was on a similar situation. How many proffesional player s can't handle the pressure of the DC? And testing that with a decisive point, having other choices, is a mistake.

I am sorry to disagree with you Galathea, but I think Mancini knew how he would react well enough to put him in the team without too many worries. For the past few months, he has been watching JM closely, working with him, and talking to JM's coach. He was pretty sure the boy would come through - so I think it was more good judgement, good tactics, and good coaching skils, rather than luck. When Acasuso was mentally and physically unwell last night, Mancini spoke to JM's coach, and they agreed it was the best move, and that JM was ready. So, I don't think it was luck at all!

Galathea
02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I am sorry to disagree with you Galathea, but I think Mancini knew how he would react well enough to put him in the team without too many worries. For the past few months, he has been watching JM closely, working with him, and talking to JM's coach. He was pretty sure the boy would come through - so I think it was more good judgement, good tactics, and good coaching skils, rather than luck. When Acasuso was mentally and physically unwell last night, Mancini spoke to JM's coach, and they agreed it was the best move, and that JM was ready. So, I don't think it was luck at all!

Yeah, I know all that. And also, the problem with Acasuso? was more mental than physical.
But as any player of any sport, more if it's an individual sport will tell you, you can't know how someone is going to react under pressure. You can know someone is mentally strong playing tournaments but when they play for their country and under pressure they go down. So if there are risk with players that were under similar situations in his career, you can't never know with someone that never was in that situation, not even in his career.
The DC is another world. The same JMDP said he was having cramps because he started to feel very nervous at the end when he had close the match. He could get over that and all the people that knows JMDP, including me, probably thought he was not going to have problems to play under pressure.
But, for example, would you believe the one who played against Safin the past tie was going to go mentally down after losing yesterday? That he was not going to get over that lost to play today? because that was happened (confirmed by some people in Linz. I just got the mail). So, surprises are always there, more when you never saw the player under the same situation. Not matter how much you know someone or imagine how he will react: until he's playing, you'll never know.
See what happened to Acasuso.

But I think this is going to be something that will be discussed if Argentina loses. I hope not and that all will be "how good is Mancini" for a loooooooong time ;).
Plus, Nalbandian will be there so contain Mancini (that's usually what happens, not only Acasuso and Puerta were nalbo's suggestions, or David doing the talk and giving the tactical instruction to Acasuso before Safin or Hewitt, but also is him who tends to contain the whole team and more specifically the captain. That's why is so exahusting for him all the DC ties)

thiaela
02-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Congrats Juan Ma

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Galathea, before you go on a monologue.

Answer this question. Did del Potro win or not? Did he handle the occasion? If he didn't, how did he win the match with all things considered.

Fact is you don't know how they are going to react, unless they are tried in that particular situation. Juan was put there and he got the job done.

As I said in a post before which you have commented on. Mancini has to make some tough choices, and he will get criticised when they don't come off, but you are complaining about it when Argentina won.

Galathea
02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I posted that when I didn't knew why Chucho didn't play. More I edited the post above this when I read the mail from Linz.

If the problem was Chucho not responding mentally because he couldn't get over the double match? Mancini didn't have any choice.
But Mancini's mind works in a funny way (Chela in moscow) and more when Nalbandian is not there to put him in line

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 08:31 PM
So is it all okay because Argentina won? That's the rule?
There are no problems or mistakes if someone wins? Even when there's a tendence that could mean problems in the future? Like there were problems in the past for the same thing?,
Good to know that's the parameter :rolleyes:

In essence you are saying Nalbandian is the captain of the team? He makes the selections am I right?

Never said that at all about no problems, it's just your bias against Mancini is funny in a strange way. So you think they should bring back Gustavo Luza then?

How about answering the questions instead of deflecting them. Like I said del Potro won, got the job done and handled the pressure whether you like or not. Be happy that Argentina has some depth in their team, but no all you want to do is whine about it.

Ok, tell me this. How was Acasuso going to play all 3 days without match practice or did you forget that he has only played 1 match this year before DC? This being the case, so Mancini is going to play Prieto instead?

Galathea
02-11-2007, 08:41 PM
In essence you are saying Nalbandian is the captain of the team? He makes the selections am I right?

Never said that at all about no problems, it's just your bias against Mancini is funny in a strange way. So you think they should bring back Gustavo Luza then?

How about answering the questions instead of deflecting them. Like I said del Potro won, got the job done and handled the pressure whether you like or not. Be happy that Argentina has some depth in their team, but no all you want to do is whine about it.

Ok, tell me this. How was Acasuso going to play all 3 days without match practice or did you forget that he has only played 1 match this year before DC? This being the case, so Mancini is going to play Prieto instead?

I edited both post when I got a mail from Linz. You quoted something I deleted , sorry.
First, no Nalbandian is not the captain, but the Captain needs Nalbo and more than for playing only.
And yes in moments, and that's known by argie public, he has to act like a subrogate captain.
Second yes JMDP won and he proved what all we suspected. But that's the key: suspected. He was never in that situation. But, as I got the information later, Chucho couldn't play today, so it wasn't a choice.

Now the only one that can play 3 days is nalbandian, even injured or sick? Or more to the point of your post, comming back from imjuries or ilness when he was out of the circuit for a month, like it happened? Acasuso played 1 match officially, several more in Argentina and with rivals of his cathegory.
And more important and related to this case , Acasuso didn't play because he was sick, he didn't play because he coulnd't get over losing the doubles with that poor performance. That was going to happen with one match played or 150.
And no, keep Luza awaaay from here, thank you very much. Mancini controlled is okay. Controlled. But again, this discussion started before knowing why Chucho didn't play. Besides what the official version says. (little fever FMI)

Galathea
02-11-2007, 08:46 PM
And just an aclaration. JMDP is one of my favorite and I more than happier of him playing now that he showed nerves to be at the DC. And that attitude has nothing to do with winning or not.

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I edited both post when I got a mail from Linz. You quoted something I deleted , sorry.
First, no Nalbandian is not the captain, but the Captain needs Nalbo and more than for playing only.
And yes in moments, and that's known by argie public, he has to act like a subrogate captain.
Second yes JMDP won and he proved what all we suspected. But that's the key: suspected. He was never in that situation. But, as I got the information later, Chucho couldn't play today, so it wasn't a choice.

Of course you want your best available team and Nalbandian is the main man. This is not too difficuly.

Next point, del Potro won the match that is what counts and it was not a dead rubber, that means more than a cheap victory in a hit and giggle.

Now the only one that can play 3 days is nalbandian, even injured or sick? Acasuso played 1 match officially, several more in Argentina and with rivals of his cathegory. And more important, Acasuso didn't play because he was sick, he didn't play because he coulnd't get over losing the doubles with that poor performance. That was going to happen with one match played or 150.

Official matches are what count. Not exhos, not training sets or anything else but official matches. He could train 20 hours a day, but it's not the same as proper match practice. Chucho lacked that, therefore it was not surprising he didn't play today.

Ever thought his poor doubles performance could have been cause of a lack of matches? He is not a Nalbandian, where he come out and play well straight away.

maria87
02-11-2007, 09:08 PM
And just an aclaration. JMDP is one of my favorite and I more than happier of him playing now that he showed nerves to be at the DC. And that attitude has nothing to do with winning or not.

galathea, don't feel bad :) we are just exchanging opinions about tennis! :)

I think Mancini was right because Meltzer played really well and JM could do it anyway winning the match with authority in the last set....he prooved he is ready to play on these kind of occasions and that's it what we argentinians needs to celebrate! :)

maria87
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
this is what Mancini said (on Davis Cup site)

”Thrilled” with Del Potro’s performance

“We are very happy with the result, and obviously thrilled with Juan Martin Del Potro’s performance, he had a tough match versus Melzer and he did extremely well. Now we are going to celebrate a little bit and then we will start thinking about Sweden,” said a relieved Argentine captain Alberto Mancini.

Julio1974
02-11-2007, 09:19 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

It semms you will have to tolerante another Argentine player in the top for quite a long time...

I'm sooo sorry for you...

As for Mancini's decision I think he knew JMDP could rise to the ocassion as he did. He was also right when he trusted Cañas. So far, the only mistake he made was Chela in Russia (and it's sooo easy to say it now).

*Ljubica*
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I know all that. And also, the problem with Acasuso? was more mental than physical.
But as any player of any sport, more if it's an individual sport will tell you, you can't know how someone is going to react under pressure. You can know someone is mentally strong playing tournaments but when they play for their country and under pressure they go down. So if there are risk with players that were under similar situations in his career, you can't never know with someone that never was in that situation, not even in his career.
The DC is another world. The same JMDP said he was having cramps because he started to feel very nervous at the end when he had close the match. He could get over that and all the people that knows JMDP, including me, probably thought he was not going to have problems to play under pressure.
But, for example, would you believe the one who played against Safin the past tie was going to go mentally down after losing yesterday? That he was not going to get over that lost to play today? because that was happened (confirmed by some people in Linz. I just got the mail). So, surprises are always there, more when you never saw the player under the same situation. Not matter how much you know someone or imagine how he will react: until he's playing, you'll never know.
See what happened to Acasuso.

But I think this is going to be something that will be discussed if Argentina loses. I hope not and that all will be "how good is Mancini" for a loooooooong time ;).
Plus, Nalbandian will be there so contain Mancini (that's usually what happens, not only Acasuso and Puerta were nalbo's suggestions, or David doing the talk and giving the tactical instruction to Acasuso before Safin or Hewitt, but also is him who tends to contain the whole team and more specifically the captain. That's why is so exahusting for him all the DC ties)
Galathea. I accept what you are saying, and I don't intend to get into a long discussion here with you on this subject, as it is not the time nor the place. I know you have contacts in the Argentine tennis world, but believe me, you are not the only one here, and I am really interested in your comments about Nalbandian "containing" Mancini. That is not my knowledge or interpretation of their situation at all. Anyway - just wondering, on what you are basing your assumptions in this regard, and if you would rather not say that on a public message board, I do understand.

vincayou
02-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Amazing win for him, given the pressure.

DrJules
02-11-2007, 11:06 PM
:worship: del Potro

How good is del Potro?

Read a lot, but never seen. Many seem to consider him to have the ability to reach the top 10 and others believe he could reach top 5.

NicoFan
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm really excited about JM although I have to admit that I've only watched him one time on TV.

He's big, he's powerful, and after today, it seems as if he has a good mental game if he can take the pressure of a 5 setter in DC play.

It seems all good ... :yeah:

scoobs
02-11-2007, 11:11 PM
He's moving very quickly in the right direction but may be another couple of years before we know where his level is...

He's leaping over the hurdles like they're not there at the moment though, much as Murray did when he shot up the rankings like a meteor.

jocaputs
02-11-2007, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=GeorgeWHitler;4854560]In essence you are saying Nalbandian is the captain of the team? He makes the selections am I right?

QUOTE]

i think that was clear as water:shrug:
its 2 years it goes that way... puerta, acasuso played because nalbandian wanted so.
nalbandian is the true leader of the team:o

BATES
02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Del Potro is having a great year so far, Adelaide semifinals, lost in 5 sets with Gonzalez in the Aussie Open (who afterwards reached the finals) and now giving the winning point to his DC team.... maybe he can make it to the top 25 this year.

DrJules
02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm really excited about JM although I have to admit that I've only watched him one time on TV.

He's big, he's powerful, and after today, it seems as if he has a good mental game if he can take the pressure of a 5 setter in DC play.

It seems all good ... :yeah:

Is he with Djokovic the strongest mentally of "the 8 of the future" mentioned in another thread.

ufokart
02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Juan :worship: :worship:

How good is del Potro?

Read a lot, but never seen. Many seem to consider him to have the ability to reach the top 10 and others believe he could reach top 5.

Well, Juan is better ranked than what Djokovic and Murray were at his age, this must mean at least something :lol:.
And he's a very good player too, with plenty of room for improvement. he's just 18 years and a few months. I think a reasonable objective for him this year will be getting inside the top 30.

yakuzaninja
02-12-2007, 12:48 AM
Impressive DC debut, must say. They have a chance in Sweden, albeit the Swedes will put an ice rink down.

Clara Bow
02-12-2007, 01:09 AM
How good is del Potro?

I have only seen him play a few times but the things that have struck me are- he appears to have good groundstrokes, he moves quite well for his size and that he is very good at point construction. He seems to have good tennis smarts.

Hendu
02-12-2007, 02:44 AM
How good is del Potro?

Too tall, he can't play. I can't understand all the fuss about this kid.

Hola Mr. SK
02-12-2007, 02:45 AM
JMDP :yeah: This guy has a bright future.
Also props to Mancini. Such a great captain has the gut to let a DC newbie play an important tie.
Team Argentina has really got a bunch of decent players who play well on different surfaces respectively, and with such a good captain, they have a good chance to go deep into the DC draw even without Dave.
Good luck against the Swedes. :)

Action Jackson
02-12-2007, 06:37 AM
i think that was clear as water:shrug:
its 2 years it goes that way... puerta, acasuso played because nalbandian wanted so.
nalbandian is the true leader of the team:o

Everyone knows Nalbandian is the main guy, but the question is he the one that picks the team and Mancini the guy who books the flights and practice courts.

Acasuso has done very well so far in DC and looks like the youngster as well is on the way.

Apemant
02-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Melzer hit 90 winners in this match. I still think jurgen can potentially be a great player.

Umm, I believe DC statistics for winners are bogus.

They count service winners into total winners, instead of aces. That's :cuckoo:

Winners mean the opponent didn't touch the ball. So aces should be counted into them (as they normally do, outside DC this weekend). Calling unreturned serves 'service winners' is clearly misleading, as is adding them to total winners.

Neely
02-12-2007, 11:03 AM
They count service winners into total winners, instead of aces. That's :cuckoo:

Winners mean the opponent didn't touch the ball. So aces should be counted into them (as they normally do, outside DC this weekend). Calling unreturned serves 'service winners' is clearly misleading, as is adding them to total winners.
You have to make the distinction between winners on serve and winners after the serve. A service winner is usually an unreturned, but touched serve, but it does not count as an ace.

oz_boz
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Argentina :hatoff:

Looking forward to an indoor clash with Söderling and unknown (PimPim back? :unsure:)

*Ljubica*
02-12-2007, 12:10 PM
How good is del Potro?

I remember posting here sometime last year, that JM was the best teenage player around today, and many people questioned me on that. Well - I still stick by my statement. He has more of an all-round game than many others, - a big serve, a liking for fast, hard courts, an ability to volley, a solid baseline game, great groundshots, AND a good temperament. Yes, of course, he is still young, so he has a tendancy to get "over-excited" sometimes, rushing some shots, and becoming upset when he misses. That is only natural for his age I think. But I honestly do feel that he is Top 5 material, and will win at least one Grand Slam, providing he can stay injury free :)

He is still growing right now, so he does lack a little physical strength, and has suffered some shoulder probems. But the good thing about JM, is he is an extremely intelligent lad, who thinks about his game, and it's weaknesses, and works hard to improve himself, so recently he has hired a ful-time PT as well as a coach, to build up his upper body strength, and overall fitness. He trains, and works extremely hard, and is very focused and ambitious, and one of the best things about him is he learns quickly, and is not afraid to try new things. If his "Plan A" is not working on court, he doesn't whimge, or panic, or glare at his coach, he just gets on with "Plan B" :)

He practised with Federer in Madrid last year, and Federer was so impressed, he got him a Wild Card into Basel, and he has also practised with Nadal at the AO, who has been very complimentary about him. Do try and see him - I'm sure you will be impressed too!

Apemant
02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
You have to make the distinction between winners on serve and winners after the serve. A service winner is usually an unreturned, but touched serve, but it does not count as an ace.

I believe you didn't understand me - or rather, I didn't express myself well.

'They count service winners into total winners, instead of aces.'

Yeah, rather clumsy from my side; I can see how you read this as if I'm saying service winners should be counted into aces. What I wanted to say was, however, that it is aces, not service winners, that should be counted into total winners.

I worded it pretty poorly, I admit, but my meaning should have been obvious from the next paragraph, where I insist 'winners' are shots not touched by the opponent. If they touch them, but don't return them properly - then they are forced errors. Thus, aces are, logically speaking, 'service winners' - i.e. winners directly from serves. And what they call 'service winners' (serves touched, but unreturned) are actually forced errors. GS statistics regularly count service winners into forced errors, and aces into total winners. DC got it wrong; they added unreturned, but touched serves, into total winners, inflating that number somewhat.

To avoid further confusion, let me try to sum it up:

a winner - a shot not touched by the opponent (provided, of course, that it bounces inside the court :devil:). Since an ace is a serve not touched by the opponent, it's perfectly logical to sum those two.

a forced error - any situation where a player touches the ball, but doesn't return it propertly, precisely because he is put in an unfavorable position by the preceding shot. The bulk of forced errors come from serves: anytime a player touches a serve but can't return it because of its quality, it is a forced error. Often, they count ANY unreturned serve (except aces) as forced errors, esp. on grass.

an unforced error - an error made without any pressure from the opponent.

For some odd reasons, forced errors on serve, i.e. serves touched, but not returned, have been historically called 'service winners'. It is clearly inconsistent with the normal meaning of the term 'a winner'. But I suspect this confusion in terminology is what made DC add those service 'winners' into the total number of winners, where they obviously don't belong.

Apemant
02-12-2007, 01:15 PM
He practised with Federer in Madrid last year, and Federer was so impressed, he got him a Wild Card into Basel, and he has also practised with Nadal at the AO, who has been very complimentary about him. Do try and see him - I'm sure you will be impressed too!

Well, he's the only one (bar Fedex :devil: ) who gave some real trouble to Gonzo in AO, that speaks alot. But I never saw him in action either. Looking forward to do just that. Fresh blood is always welcome. :D

shotgun
02-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Del Potro showed that he was ready for the big occasion and didn't disappoint. Like I had said last week, I couldn't picture Chucho playing the three days, it was only a matter of choice for Mancini to pick Del Potro for either Friday or Sunday. Maybe he thought it was psychologically better for the kid to debut with 2-1 on Sunday, but I'm almost sure he would have beaten Koubek on Friday, too.

Neely
02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes, Apement, only a misunderstanding because I first wasn't sure what you would like to call as a winner and where you want to add it up. But after your post I see we both have the same viewpoint on this and that DC stats handle it differently.

DrJules
02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
He is still growing right now, so he does lack a little physical strength, and has suffered some shoulder probems. But the good thing about JM, is he is an extremely intelligent lad, who thinks about his game, and it's weaknesses, and works hard to improve himself, so recently he has hired a ful-time PT as well as a coach, to build up his upper body strength, and overall fitness. He trains, and works extremely hard, and is very focused and ambitious, and one of the best things about him is he learns quickly, and is not afraid to try new things. If his "Plan A" is not working on court, he doesn't whimge, or panic, or glare at his coach, he just gets on with "Plan B" :)

But will he become too large and cumbersome, and will avoid injury that can effect large heavy players. He seems very tall even by tennis standards.

Hendu
02-13-2007, 03:04 AM
How good is del Potro?

see for yourself:

Del Potro vs. Melzer highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxg2CD1p8wc

Courtesy of alexito.

Apemant
02-13-2007, 09:09 AM
see for yourself:

Courtesy of alexito.

Hmmm he moves extremely well for someone of his height... I already see I'm gonna like this boy...

DrJules
02-13-2007, 08:34 PM
see for yourself:

Courtesy of alexito.

Could he be the player who next replaces Federer as the next world number 1? He certainly should reach his potential when Federer starts to decline.

DrJules
02-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Hmmm he moves extremely well for someone of his height... I already see I'm gonna like this boy...

Power, height and mobility is a formidable combination in tennis.

*Ljubica*
02-13-2007, 10:18 PM
But will he become too large and cumbersome, and will avoid injury that can effect large heavy players. He seems very tall even by tennis standards.

Well obviously no one can say that for sure. Injuries can happen to anyone, no matter how well they prepare, and how hard they work and look after their bodies. He certainly moves well for such a tall guy, he is light on his feet, and not cumbersome at all, but I do appreciate what you're saying, and can only hope that this is not the case. Only time will tell.

Hendu
02-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Well obviously no one can say that for sure. Injuries can happen to anyone, no matter how well they prepare, and how hard they work and look after their bodies. He certainly moves well for such a tall guy, he is light on his feet, and not cumbersome at all, but I do appreciate what you're saying, and can only hope that this is not the case. Only time will tell.

today, from olé newspaper:

Elseser (his physical trainer): Juan is in the growing age, and the goal for this year is to develop him physically. The idea is that he becomes able to play 5 sets for many matches and with the same intensity. We will strengthen his lower body, we will develop his legs a lot, so that he gains explosiveness. Juan has been under treatment making his legs stronger since he was 11, because of his height. I think he will keep growing and this is the moment we can add things.

He started a serious preparation a long time ago, even with a nutricionist. He wants to be number one. He has potential and a very good attitude towards work. He is a formula one, you have to take care of him, educate him, take him slowly, because he is young and the career of a tennis player is tough, and little details can make a difference.

Action Jackson
02-14-2007, 01:04 AM
Elseser knows what he is doing which is a good thing and fitness is the one thing that can be controlled though I am not sure playing the hardcourt events at this stage is necessarily the best thing for him. I don't mean this from a physical sense, not a surface preference thing.

sigmagirl91
02-14-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm impressed with this youngster! I listened to his interview in DC, and he's shown remarkable poise and maturity. Best of luck for your future, JM.

Hendu
02-14-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm impressed with this youngster! I listened to his interview in DC, and he's shown remarkable poise and maturity. Best of luck for your future, JM.

Before he made that interview, he made all the other reporters leave, because he is still not comfortable with his English and was nervous and didn't want to embarrass himself in front of all that people. :lol:

sigmagirl91
02-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Before he made that interview, he made all the other reporters leave, because he is still not comfortable with his English and was nervous and didn't want to embarrass himself in front of all that people. :lol:

He did just fine.

*Ljubica*
02-14-2007, 11:39 AM

:hearts: That is so sweet! His English has really improved dramatically in the last year too. Last Summer he was almost scared to talk to me in English :o but he is really trying, and learning fast! Well done to him :)

mtw
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
:hearts: That is so sweet! His English has really improved dramatically in the last year too. Last Summer he was almost scared to talk to me in English :o but he is really trying, and learning fast! Well done to him :)

Yes and he has large intelectual potential.