Roddick butchers Berdych 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-6(4) - USA def CZE! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick butchers Berdych 4-6 6-3 6-2 7-6(4) - USA def CZE!

Grinder
02-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Never in doubt, not even close. :haha:

USA wins 3-1. :woohoo:

Andy :worship:

Regenbogen
02-11-2007, 03:37 PM
:lol: wtf at that result

:woohoo: USA!

ChinoRios4Ever
02-11-2007, 03:38 PM
congrats USA :yeah:

andy :bounce:

joeb_uk
No surprise here, was almost sure of a Roddick win and a 4-1 victory for USA!

Nice win for Roddick, and USA of course.

yakuzaninja
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

SO delighted with this!

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Too good Duckboy, kept the errors down and took his chances when they were on offer and deserved his victory.

Roddick for RG campaign gathering steam.

nobama
02-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Never in doubt.

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 03:40 PM
C'mon haters let's hear it :bounce: What are the excuses for an accomplished player like Berdych's loss vs a duck who is no good on clay :p :haha:
No surprise there, Andy has never failed to close out a tie and today wasn't the day it was gonna stop :banana:

Now the spaniards on a grass court will be a cakewalk :yeah:

muriel
02-11-2007, 03:41 PM
:yeah:

blosson
02-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Way to go Andy. :banana:

adee-gee
02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Andy you bloody legend :worship:

Just to amuse us all, I've collected a few postings from the pre-tie thread and Roddick def. Minar thread. Seems like a few people shall be eating some humble pie :smoke:

Berdych won't be losing any singles ties this weekend.

As rubbish as Minar is, it's always fun seeing the water buffalo struggling on clay.

Roddick moving on a mud court is funny and he has lost to worse players than Minar. This being said and it's 2-2 in the 4th match, then Dlouhy has to play.

The Americans winning on clay? :lol:

That will happen only if the Czech captain mess up with the picks.

there is no chance for the US to beat Berdych in the singles. Only way this doesnt go 5 is if Minar beats Roddick tomorrow.

You have little right calling someone delusional. You are the one who thinks Roddick can play on clay and the US and the Aussies had chances in their DC semis last year.

Have you see Berdman's DC record? He has his personal coach as DC captain, he can play on the surface. Everything in his favour, so the delusional one isn't me.

If Thunder lips were there it would be 4-1 easy. As he's not, it will be 3-2. Berdych almost defeated Nadal on clay... you really think he won't defeat two clay court clowns?

Roddick would dream to move as well as Berdych on clay.

Nadal must be pissing in his pants. Watch out Rafa, there's a new contender for your title.:scared:

look out clay world he comes Roddick....

Losing a set to Minar. :haha: Watch A-ROD crash out of RG first round...again. :p

So beating a guy who just came back from a drug ban (Coria) and 2 guys virtually in their retirement year classify as good wins (Costa and Chang). You set the standard too low, but that was then, this is now. Under the clay god James Scott Connors, the clay revolution of Roddick is going to continue.

mangoes
02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
:banana::banana:WooHoo USA.........on to the QF. Well Done Andy:hug::hug:

tennis lover
02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
:banana:

Yappa
02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Now the spaniards on a grass court will be a cakewalk :yeah:

I have a feeling Nadal will feel very sick on that weekend. :devil:

More seriously: I really hope to see that Roddick-Nadal match! :)

Horatio Caine
02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
LMAO Addy...you have too much time on your hands! :lol:

I didn't expect Roddick to win this match...well done! :bigclap: :woohoo:

Il Primo Uomo
02-11-2007, 03:46 PM
What a shame

shotgun
02-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Berdych :sad:

Congrats to Roddick and the USA.

▄︻┻┳═
02-11-2007, 03:47 PM
too much pressure on Tomas...

nobama
02-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Yes Roddick and Nadal on grass should be fun. :lol:

Chris Seahorse
02-11-2007, 03:49 PM
:haha: I love it. Too good. Well done Andy. I can just picture Berdych alone in the dressing room right now having a little temper tamtrum. Berdych will soon be known only as Safarova's boyfriend (at least until Lucie wises up and dumps him :devil:)

Freddi22cl
02-11-2007, 03:51 PM

Just to amuse us all, I've collected a few postings from the pre-tie thread and Roddick def. Minar thread. Seems like a few people shall be eating some humble pie :smoke:

someone has A LOT of time on his hands....

kudos to Roddick, quality win

hey, adee twit, you predicting a RG victory for the duck in '07, or at the very least a TMS event win on clay?......

any cajones?

:wavey:

Deboogle!.
the USA/Spain tie location has already been announced - it will be in Winston-Salem, NC and indoors. Not on grass.

MrJ
USA look good for at least the SF´s again!! :)

jeahhh!
02-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Andy:woohoo: :woohoo:

People are actually giving Andy credit:eek:
:p

Grinder
USA is going to lose against Czech Rep.

Good call. :haha: :lol: :rolls:

shotgun
:haha: I love it. Too good. Well done Andy. I can just picture Berdych alone in the dressing room right now having a little temper tamtrum. Berdych will soon be known only as Safarova's boyfriend (at least until Lucie wises up and dumps him :devil:)

:lol:

At 21 he has already achieved more than Santoro at 34.

tangerine_dream
Too big for Berdych. :devil: Awesome Andy clinches again! :bounce:

Adam :spit: :haha: :rolls:

Jimnik

Adam, you're a bastard. :haha: :haha: :haha:

For sure that was a great win. I wish I could have seen it bit I assume that Andy was not standing 10 feet behind the baseline, like he did in Moscow. I'm sure that would have made a massive difference.

I just hope he keeps this up.

joeb_uk
02-11-2007, 03:53 PM

Majority from hitler :lol: No surprise there huh. Maybe soon the guy will get rid of his cloudead mind regarding Roddick. This win is a start for him.

Loremaster
02-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Too good Duckboy, kept the errors down and took his chances when they were on offer and deserved his victory.

Roddick for RG campaign gathering steam.

How are you doing ?? :wavey:

Your predictions are joke :haha:

Sjengster
02-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Apart from that much-needed Slam QF, of course. ;)

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Yes Roddick and Nadal on grass should be fun. :lol:
USA won't want to play on grass. Blake wants a nice fast hard court.

Freddi22cl
02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Good call. :haha: :lol: :rolls:

ya, and Voltchkov is gonna beat Soderling, who called that one again?

Sjengster
02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I assume the Spanish won't be dumb enough to play Robredo against Roddick in the QFs, perhaps Ferrer instead remembering how he nearly beat Roddick in Paris at the end of 2005? That would be their best chance, if not a great chance itself, of getting a point on the first day, bearing in mind the other match would presumably be Blake v Nadal...

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Funny stuff Adam, time for Duckboy to step it up at Rome, Hamburg and Roland Garros. We know he doesn't play Monte Carlo.

idolwatcher1
02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
:woohoo: WTG Andy!!! :worship:

Yappa
02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Now that I think about it, Roddick possibly won't play against Nadal after all, in case it's a dead rubber. :(

Loremaster
02-11-2007, 04:00 PM

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Great research adee-gee :worship: :worship: :worship:

It shows how narrow minded Andy's haters are

GeorgeWHitler seems to doesn't know anything about tennis , his posts and GlenMirnyi posts were jokes :haha: :haha: :haha:

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 04:01 PM
the USA/Spain tie location has already been announced - it will be in Winston-Salem, NC and indoors. Not on grass.
Indeed. The Spaniards hate playing indoors and, especially from Blake's point of view, this would be the best option.

Chris Seahorse
02-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Oh yes? Santoro leads 4 titles to 2. Santoro has reached a grand slam quarter final. Berdych has not. Santoro has a Davis Cup trophy. Berdych has not. Santoro has won 2 Grand Slam doubles trophy as well as a doubles world championship. Berdych hasn't come close obviously. Santoro has earned more that 8 million dollars in his career. Berdych? Less that 2 and half. Maybe some day you will be able to say Berdych has achieved more that Santoro but certainly not now. Additionally I think it is fair to say Berdych will never earn the respect of his peers and the tennis public that Santoro has.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2007, 04:02 PM
USA won't want to play on grass. Blake wants a nice fast hard court.That's got nothing to do with it - Winston-Salem apparently offered such a hefty financial package that the USTA didn't even shop around like they always do. The location was announced like a week or more ago. It's all about the money. I'm sure Andy would much rather play on grass again (and I think his opinion carries more weight than James's to be honest.), but indoors it will be.

RickDaStick
Will nadal play the QF or will he bitch out once again?

jeahhh!

:haha: Thank You!:kiss:

Freddi22cl
02-11-2007, 04:03 PM

GeorgeWHitler seems to doesn't know anything about tennis , his posts and GlenMirnyi posts were jokes :haha: :haha: :haha:

GW knows more about tennis than who WILL ever.

enjoy your glorious day.

the clay court season is around the corner......hey, are you calling for any Duck clay tourney wins in 07. Ya know, the clock is ticking on his career....tic toc tic toc.......still one GS only

WHICH TMS on clay will he win?....lets hear it.....or RG?

Loremaster
02-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah Andy would like to play on grass , but still hardcourt is better option anyway because it gives us almost locked win, Blake could lose on grass to Lopez or Nadal for sure , on hardcourt both Andy and James has more chances to make it even 5-0 , Blake is too bad on grass and I wouldn't want next tie to be only on his shoulders(and Bryans of course :)) only. He will have much work anyway

Grinder
02-11-2007, 04:05 PM
ya, and Voltchkov is gonna beat Soderling, who called that one again?

I dunno, who?

If you think it was me then you need to recheck your facts there bud. :lol:

cobalt60
02-11-2007, 04:06 PM
:) ARod never fails under the right pressure. Good for him :banana:

RickDaStick

What is the point of posts like this? Surely we have all been wrong before and will be again. Berdych was the clear favorite and the majority thought he would win but obviously Roddick played better and got the W. Since you make posts like this, i assume you are perfect when it comes to calling matches, perhaps you should take up betting.

scoobs
Fabulous result for Roddick and their Davis Cup team to beat Berdych at home on clay.

Well done :D

Johnny Groove
02-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I have a feeling Nadal will feel very sick on that weekend. :devil:

More seriously: I really hope to see that Roddick-Nadal match! :)

i do too :banana:

GWH is knowledgable, but you are spot-on with Glenn :yeah:

Will nadal play the QF or will he bitch out once again?

At least Nadal has the opportunity to play, unlike Ljubo :wavey:

idolwatcher1
02-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I assume that Andy was not standing 10 feet behind the baseline, like he did in Moscow. I'm sure that would have made a massive difference.
I told him to stay inside the baseline... :p

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7010/roddogoo5.jpg

cobalt60
02-11-2007, 04:09 PM

:haha: That is so funny it hurts;)

Sjengster
02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
adee-gee is the man who declared with absolute confidence that Berdych had no chance against Nadal before their Toronto encounter last year, lest we forget. I recall that rather similar treatment was dished out to him in the wake of that match.

nobama

enjoy your glorious day.

the clay court season is around the corner......hey, are you calling for any Duck clay tourney wins in 07. Ya know, the clock is ticking on his career....tic toc tic toc.......still one GS only

WHICH TMS on clay will he win?....lets hear it.....or RG?GWH said Berdych would not be losing to Roddick. What does the clay court season have to do with that?

Freddi22cl
I dunno, who?

If you think it was me then you need to recheck your facts there bud. :lol:

before you mock other's predictions, take a close look at your current run of tennis gambling predictions. It 'should' humble one

i do believe it was 1-4 with a disturbing loss of 'units'..likely monopoly monies, anyway

Angle Queen
02-11-2007, 04:11 PM
the USA/Spain tie location has already been announced - it will be in Winston-Salem, NC and indoors. Not on grass.Hmmm...Easter weekend...but only 250mi away. I grew up in Greensboro...guess it's time to look up some old friends...who could also babysit :unsure: . USA v. ESP...too good to miss.

jeahhh!

:spit:
Thats great

adee-gee
Funny stuff Adam, time for Duckboy to step it up at Rome, Hamburg and Roland Garros. We know he doesn't play Monte Carlo.
:lol: :kiss:

I'm not for one second saying he's going to do well, I just think it's time Berdych was a) recognised not to be that good, and b) for it to be accepted that he's an arsehole.
What is the point of posts like this? Surely we have all been wrong before and will be again. Berdych was the clear favorite and the majority thought he would win but obviously Roddick played better and got the W. Since you make posts like this, i assume you are perfect when it comes to calling matches, perhaps you should take up betting.
I've been slaughtered in the past for incorrect predictions (usually by GWH) so I feel it's time for a bit of revenge, not that it has anything to do with you.

Go and cry about Ljubicic and leave the real men to talk :bigwave:

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 04:12 PM
That's got nothing to do with it - Winston-Salem apparently offered such a hefty financial package that the USTA didn't even shop around like they always do. The location was announced like a week or more ago. It's all about the money. I'm sure Andy would much rather play on grass again (and I think his opinion carries more weight than James's to be honest.), but indoors it will be.
It can't be all about the money. What if a clay, or slow hard, court location offered more money than anyone else?

For sure Andy's opinion carries more weight but it doesn't make much difference to him if they play on hard or grass. For Blake it makes a huge difference and Spain would much rather play outdoors than indoors.

Maybe it was just a lucky decision but, as far as I can see, indoor hard is by far the best option.

scoobs
Perhaps to remind people not to be quite so complacently certain about things? Tennis produces surprises. :shrug:

Freddi22cl
adee-gee is the man who declared with absolute confidence that Berdych had no chance against Nadal before their Toronto encounter last year, lest we forget. I recall that rather similar treatment was dished out to him in the wake of that match.

and the clown copies and pastes other members predictions

priceless

Angle Queen
02-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh...forgot to add...:yeah: to Andy. Attaboy!

cobalt60
Hmmm...Easter weekend...but only 250mi away. I grew up in Greensboro...guess it's time to look up some old friends...who could also babysit :unsure: . USA v. ESP...too good to miss.

Let me know if it really might happen for you :yeah:

Langers
Tomas. :(

Very disappointing result. I expected him to beat Roddick today, I really did.

Action Jackson

Well Adam got the piss taken out of him when he said Nadal would easily beat Berdych, so he's getting his own back and that's fair enough.

Don't forget Hewitt defeated Albert Costa and Guga (when he was RG) champ on clay and he didn't come close to winning a major clay title (Houston) is too good for words.

When Duckboy has to make hotel reservations for the second week of Roland Garros, then that is success.

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
:lol: :kiss:

I'm not for one second saying he's going to do well, I just think it's time Berdych was a) recognised not to be that good, and b) for it to be accepted that he's an arsehole.

I've been slaughtered in the past for incorrect predictions (usually by GWH) so I feel it's time for a bit of revenge, not that it has anything to do with you.

Go and cry about Ljubicic and leave the real men to talk :bigwave:

Sorry but " real men" dont make such childish posts and judge other guys' looks.

Johnny Groove
02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
ahhh, great day. Roddick beats Berydch on clay in CZE, and Ljubo gets his ass kicked by haas. Awesome :yeah:

Loremaster
02-11-2007, 04:15 PM

enjoy your glorious day.

WHICH TMS on clay will he win?....lets hear it.....or RG?

I never have told that any will win TMS on clay or something like that
GWH was very arrogant in his predictions and almost sure to know who will win, and his predictions proved to be a joke :haha:

scoobs
02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
ahhh, great day. Roddick beats Berydch on clay in CZE, and Ljubo gets his ass kicked by haas. Awesome :yeah:
:haha:

Been a great weekend of tennis, hasn't it.

Now if Ollie can just finish the job against Hewitt and Del Potro can nail Melzer, my happiness will be complete.

RickDaStick

good for you!! just one question, why did nadal not play? did he asshole hurt too much from the pounding he took from his butt buddy F.Lo?

Freddi22cl
GWH said Berdych would not be losing to Roddick. What does the clay court season have to do with that?

correct he was wrong, he gave his opinion.

as I said before, kudos to Andy, terrific stuff today. Lets see how this translates for the upcoming clay court season

are you optimistic? do you see him winning Rome? RG?

idolwatcher1
02-11-2007, 04:17 PM
It's not really the predictions that people dislike... It's the arrogant predictions where people simply leave no room for being wrong... so that when they ARE wrong... people love to throw it back in their face, which they have every right to do...

Clara Bow
Well done Andy. : )

shotgun
Oh yes? Santoro leads 4 titles to 2.

Four IS titles, Santoro wishes he had a TMS title under his belt.

Santoro has reached a grand slam quarter final. Berdych has not.

The day Berdych gets a cakewalk draw like Santoro did at the AO '06 and doesn't run into a top 5 player in the R16 like he has done in the past four Slams, he will do it. And I don't believe it will take 15 years for him like it did for Santoro.

Santoro has a Davis Cup trophy. Berdych has not.

Did he win the trophy single-handedly? Yes, you can certainly compare the French school to the Czech one in terms of depth. :rolleyes:

Santoro has won 2 Grand Slam doubles trophy as well as a doubles world championship. Berdych hasn't come close obviously.

Come back to me when Berdych decides to take his doubles career seriously.

Santoro has earned more that 8 million dollars in his career. Berdych? Less that 2 and half.

It tells a lot when he has already earned one third of Santoro's prize money being on the tour for less than one fourth of the time Santoro has been.

Additionally I think it is fair to say Berdych will never earn the respect of his peers and the tennis public that Santoro has.

Fair point, can't argue with that.

And of course, the detail you insisted in forgetting. Berdych has already made the top 10, Santoro hasn't.

adee-gee
02-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Nice to see some patriotism from Freddi22d :hatoff:

Langers
Oh yes? Santoro leads 4 titles to 2. Santoro has reached a grand slam quarter final. Berdych has not. Santoro has a Davis Cup trophy. Berdych has not. Santoro has won 2 Grand Slam doubles trophy as well as a doubles world championship. Berdych hasn't come close obviously. Santoro has earned more that 8 million dollars in his career. Berdych? Less that 2 and half. Maybe some day you will be able to say Berdych has achieved more that Santoro but certainly not now. Additionally I think it is fair to say Berdych will never earn the respect of his peers and the tennis public that Santoro has.
Oh please. Berdych has more talent in his little finger than Santoro does in his whole body. How many MS tournaments has Santoro won? :o

Freddi22cl
GWH was very arrogant in his predictions and almost sure to know who will win, and his predictions proved to be a joke :haha:

funny, I dont see GW as coming across as being arrogant. Perhaps you're a little sensitive? Big Roddick fan, perhaps?

scoobs
02-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Who cares how Andy does in Rome or RG right now?

What he's done this weekend, is his job for his country, getting 2 away wins on his least favourite surface against at least one very good opponent.

Why make it about something completely different to try and score points. :rolleyes:

Jade Fox
Way to go Andy! Whoo Hooo!

Forget Kyra Sedgwick! You're the real CLOSER!:rocker2:

Black Adam
Well Adam got the piss taken out of him when he said Nadal would easily beat Berdych, so he's getting his own back and that's fair enough.

Don't forget Hewitt defeated Albert Costa and Guga (when he was RG) champ on clay and he didn't come close to winning a major clay title (Houston) is too good for words.

When Duckboy has to make hotel reservations for the second week of Roland Garros, then that is success.
I don't think Andy is so negative in Paris that he doesn't reserve for 2 weeks. Anyways this year he might be using the second week part of his reservation if he keeps his head straight and forgets he is in Paris on Philippe Chatrier.

Johnny Groove
02-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Been a great weekend of tennis, hasn't it.

Now if Ollie can just finish the job against Hewitt and Del Potro can nail Melzer, my happiness will be complete.

indeed :yeah:

good for you!! just one question, why did nadal not play? did he asshole hurt too much from the pounding he took from his butt buddy F.Lo?

no, he was injured from the criminal court in Geneva. And by the way, how did Ljubo do against Haas? Win a set at least?

shotgun
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
b) for it to be accepted that he's an arsehole.

That's very subjective, there are many people who think Roddick and Nadal are assholes, too. :shrug:

RickDaStick
indeed :yeah:

no, he was injured from the criminal court in Geneva. And by the way, how did Ljubo do against Haas? Win a set at least?

No but he did manage a few more games then Nadal in his last best of 5 match.

Grinder
before you mock other's predictions, take a close look at your current run of tennis gambling predictions. It 'should' humble one

i do believe it was 1-4 with a disturbing loss of 'units'..likely monopoly monies, anyway

:lol: Dumbass, I'm up over 100 units for the year. Units are common terms in betting. I don't care what the record is as long as I win my big bets, lost 25 on the first day, won 30 on Roddick today.

Nice try twat. :wavey:

Freddi22cl
02-11-2007, 04:22 PM

reaching the second week of RG would qualify as success?......your standards are low, but for Andy it sure as hell would be a start

congrats to Andy fans out there, great day for him and USA tennis.

can American tennis ever dominate again, men or women?

Johnny Groove
02-11-2007, 04:23 PM
No but he did manage a few more games then Nadal in his last best of 5 match.

:haha: so now you must fall back on his # of games won to have anything resembling an argument? good stuff

Freddi22cl
02-11-2007, 04:24 PM
:lol: Dumbass, I'm up over 100 units for the year. Units are common terms in betting. I don't care what the record is as long as I win my big bets, lost 25 on the first day, won 30 on Roddick today.

Nice try twat. :wavey:

sure you are....

you're missing the point you twit. Dont' mock other's predictions when your head was up your ass in day 1 of the Davis Cup.......humility in the gambling world, you fool

guille&tati4life
First of all, Tomas was hardly butchered in 4 sets :unsure:

Santoro has been around for a very very long time. What he achieved when he was Berdych's age? Of course Santoro has won more prize money :lol:.
I don't particularly respect Santoro anymore than i do Tomas.

RickDaStick
reaching the second week of RG would qualify as success?......your standards are low, but for Andy it sure as hell would be a start

congrats to Andy fans out there, great day for him and USA tennis.

can American tennis ever dominate again, men or women?

Maybe if they had more humans playing they would have a chance. The best "woman" tennis player is some sort of animal. Definately not from this planet.

Action Jackson

What he's done this weekend, is his job for his country, getting 2 away wins on his least favourite surface against at least one very good opponent.

Why make it about something completely different to try and score points. :rolleyes:

Far from a question of scoring points and it's a fair point for these reasons.

He had an excellent win for which I have acknowledged. After that excellent performance, then I am interested to see whether he builds on that for the worst part of the season for him. If he does better than he has recently, there are some points on offer for him.

I don't have to like someone to talk about their tennis. Is there a need to look into something that isn't there?

scoobs
I just think it's sad that, people set the goalposts that Roddick wouldn't get his 2 points, and now he has, they're moving the goalposts and making it about the rest of the clay court season :shrug:

Sad.

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Let's give credit where it's due. Roddick and the Bryans won the USA's first victory on clay in more 10 years. For the moment FO doesn't matter.

jeahhh!
02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I just think it's sad that, people set the goalposts that Roddick wouldn't get his 2 points, and now he has, they're moving the goalposts and making it about the rest of the clay court season :shrug:

Sad.

Touche

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Let's give credit where it's due. Roddick and the Bryans won the USA's first victory on clay in more 10 years. For the moment FO doesn't matter.

Damn time goes by way too fast. Cant believe its already been 10 years since they beat Belgium.

scoobs
Far from a question of scoring points and it's a fair point for these reasons.

He had an excellent win for which I have acknowledged. After that excellent performance, then I am interested to see whether he builds on that for the worst part of the season for him. If he does better than he has recently, there are some points on offer for him.

I don't have to like someone to talk about their tennis. Is there a need to look into something that isn't there?
Fair enough but honestly, do we think this is going make Roddick a major threat on clay?

I doubt it - I'm surprised people are even making that a possibility as a debating point. Seems highly unlikely to me. And since we're well over a month to go until then, who the hell cares right now? :shrug:

Grinder

sure you are....

you're missing the point you twit. Dont' mock other's predictions when your head was up your ass in day 1 of the Davis Cup.......

I'll mock whoever the hell I want to, especially when I'm in the green even after a 2-4 record this weekend. :lol:

It's easy to change the focus when you're getting jacked up in an arguement. I'm done with stalker boy Freddi, thank you, come again. :wavey:

Horatio Caine
Berdych and Safarova sure are a match...they both win on the same day in Australia, and lose on the same day this weekend :o

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Fair enough but honestly, do we think this is going make Roddick a major threat on clay?

I doubt it - I'm surprised people are even making that a possibility as a debating point. Seems highly unlikely to me. And since we're well over a month to go until then, who the hell cares right now? :shrug:

Of course he will, there are 3 men in the mix now, dont you remember?

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Damn time goes by way too fast. Cant believe its already been 10 years since they beat Belgium.
Belgium match wasn't in the world group. I forgot to mention in the World Group not in some Zonal playoffs.

Freddi22cl
02-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I'll mock whoever the hell I want to, especially when I'm in the green even after a 2-4 record this weekend. :lol:

It's easy to change the focus when you're getting anal ***** in arguement. I'm done with stalker boy Freddi, thank you, come again. :wavey:

lol, you have proven what again?

stalker?

don't flatter yourself, clearly dealing with a kid here. Sadly, typical American

tangerine_dream
02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
If Andy wants to impress?
beat Berdych Sunday, on foreign soil, on the dirt :wavey:
Impressed yet? Or are you going to change your mind and wait until Andy defeats Nadal or something? ;)

He made it to the Rome SF's on his first try.

DEAD. :haha:

Freddi22cl
02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
yes, I stated two times in this thread already, you missed it?

:wavey:

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't think Andy is so negative in Paris that he doesn't reserve for 2 weeks. Anyways this year he might be using the second week part of his reservation if he keeps his head straight and forgets he is in Paris on Philippe Chatrier.

Yes, he might be spending time at Chatrier instead of the casino or Champs Elysses.

Derek1206
02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Andy! :D :banana: :worship: :woohoo:

Fergie
02-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Tomas :help:

marcelwks
02-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Andy :banana:

but remember that Berdych lost with Srichaphan at RG once ;)

AnnaK_4ever
02-11-2007, 04:45 PM
:woohoo:

Andy rules! :rocker:

Golfnduck
02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :aparty: :bigclap: Two big wins on clay!!!!

Grinder
02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
:lol: Check out this brilliant PM I just received from Mr. Freddi.

you're only 19?? you're from a 3rd world country like Honduras?? who the fuck let your punk ass into my country??

LOL!!!!

good God if I knew this I wouldn't ever had responed to you,LMFAO!!!!

bye bye Honduras boy....

NYCtennisfan
02-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Had a very strong feeling that this would happen. Roddick is just a different player now that his BH can hold up and even dictate a point once in a while. If he serves the way he did today, he is difficult to defeat even on clay. His kicker on the AD court sends the ball basically into the stands. For two sets, Roddick was ripping Berdych up.

Roddick's problem is Federer. He knows he can't beat Fed, but against other players, he stiill has that cockiness that he if his serve is on, he will be winning the match.

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Now both of you are lame. Keep your fights away from us. We aren't interested.:o:rolleyes: Geez some people!

Grinder
you're only 19?? you're from a 3rd world country like Honduras?? who the fuck let your punk ass into my country??

LOL!!!!

good God if I knew this I wouldn't ever had responed to you,LMFAO!!!!

bye bye Honduras boy....

I'm not from Honduras dumbass. :haha: :lol:

why do you have it as you're country in your profile you twit!!!!LOL

one of your parents born in this 3rd world country? has to be some connection

anyway, i dont care, you're 19 for god's sake, If i knew i never would have responded, given you the time of day

fuck off, blinking idiot

--ps--a 19 yr old making tennis predictions for 'units'...LOL!!!!

Seems we got a racist on hand. :scratch:

Action Jackson
He made it to the Rome SF's on his first try.

I remember that very clearly and it was quite enjoyable to watch him at that event, but he wasn't a top player at the time. He is now and his results haven't reflected that on the surface.

gogogirl
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey All,

Great win by Andy. I can't wait to see it. He's pumped up now for real for the next tie. I had a feeling he would pull it out - but I wasn't sure. I always realize that in any given close match - 2 out of 3 - or 3/4 out of 5 - that it comes down to a few points here and there. Usually, whomever plays them better - wins.

I don't think James is bad on grass at all. He hasn't achieved his best results on it - but he can only improve. He took Gonzo to a five set tiebeak on grass last year in Cali. He made the finals at Queens last year. Remember - he was leading Max 2-0 at Wimby - and couldn't close. He just needs to improve to another level - and when he does - it may all come together for him to excel big time on it.

Anyway - great day at the office for Andy. Remember, it gutted him to lose both of his matches to Russia in the last tie. The one against Tursy must have really hurt Andy after playing his heart out. I'm glad he won two here.

"WAY TO GO USA - KEEP GOING"

RickDaStick

LOL almost as funny as the one i got from TGS:

YO wanker( oh sorry, yours is so small you can't even wank ) anyways you give some, you get some And that from a jamaican You should be ashamed of being the only piece of scum known from Jamaica.

The head scratcher for me on this one is that i have never ever even been to Jamaica.

Action Jackson

Of course they will, this is MTF where overreaction is the norm. Of course I only care about Davis Cup and the clay season :p

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Seems we got a racist on hand. :scratch:
Who is this Freddi? He's been on MTF for 3 years, he hardly ever posts and now he randomly turns up to annoy some Roddick fans? :scratch:

NYCtennisfan
02-11-2007, 05:01 PM

I don't think anyone thinks he is a threat to win any big titles on clay, BUT it is clearly evident that with his serve, he is dangerous in any one match situation. Then again, he played really well and moved really well on points played on his 2nd serve as well. He won 84% of the points on his 1st serve and 65% on his second serve :eek:. Berdman won 71% and 58%. Those are numbers from a hardcourt or grass match. The clay played a bit quicker than I thought it would as well.

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
LOL almost as funny as the one i got from TGS:

YO wanker( oh sorry, yours is so small you can't even wank ) anyways you give some, you get some And that from a jamaican You should be ashamed of being the only piece of scum known from Jamaica.

The head scratcher for me on this one is that i have never ever even been to Jamaica.
Then you should be ashamed for you are a disgrace to what ever your country is. Looking at your posts is just as bad. And bad repping people who think that Ljubo sucks is so classy and the perfect way to handle such a situation.:rolleyes:Counselling wouldn't be bad for a guy like you.

scoobs
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't think anyone thinks he is a threat to win any big titles on clay, BUT it is clearly evident that with his serve, he is dangerous in any one match situation. Then again, he played really well and moved really well on points played on his 2nd serve as well. He won 84% of the points on his 1st serve and 65% on his second serve :eek:. Berdman won 71% and 58%. Those are numbers from a hardcourt or grass match. The clay played a bit quicker than I thought it would as well.
That's exactly my point :yeah:

Roddick in any one match on clay is dangerous. The consistency and confidence has rarely been there, but on his day he can do plenty of damage.

Berdych, you have to say, was the right kind of victim - a total headcase. He's starting to out-Safin Safin.

*Viva Chile*
02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
:bowdown: Andy Roddick... the next RG champion :bowdown:

Talking seriously... I really wanted that USA won this tie :devil:

GonzoFed
02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
:bowdown: Andy Roddick... the next RG champion :bowdown:

Talking seriously... I really wanted that USA won this tie :devil:

Hahahaha...far from over yet.

NYCtennisfan
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
That's exactly my point :yeah:

Roddick in any one match on clay is dangerous. The consistency and confidence has rarely been there, but on his day he can do plenty of damage.

Berdych, you have to say, was the right kind of victim - a total headcase. He's starting to out-Safin Safin.

Berdych is a headcase, and the pression may have gotten to him. :) Then again, it's hard to get into a rhythm when the other guy is blowing balls by on the serve right and left.

Jimnik
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Massu-Andreev will have a major bearing on the Davis Cup this year.

USA will definately fancy their chances if Andreev can pull this off.

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Massu-Andreev will have a major bearing on the Davis Cup this year.

USA will definately fancy their chances if Andreev can pull this off.

In other words you are hoping for Sweden to defeat Argentina.

Black Adam
02-11-2007, 05:15 PM
In other words you are hoping for Sweden to defeat Argentina.
If Chile and Argentina are out by the time the Quarters are over, the USA's chances will be very high. Only Germany away might a problem, that is if they get to the final.
I think a health Sweden Pim Pim, Tojo and the Toad on a very fast court might take the Argentines out. If not then Argentina will probably take their 1st DC.

jazar
02-11-2007, 05:17 PM
roddick is this years form clay player. 2 wins in a row. is that his new record?

Neely
02-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Congrats USA! :bounce: :bounce:

And very great job of Andy to beat Berdych on clay at home. Not bad for somebody who sucks on clay :) Others have tried that before and failed, really deserved victory :yeah:

Raquel
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Adam :devil: :lol: :D

Pfloyd
02-11-2007, 05:41 PM

George, what happened?

The wisdom failed you!:p

Just kidding, to be fair, I didn't make any predicitions. :D

bad gambler
02-11-2007, 06:00 PM
:haha: :haha:

R.Federer
02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Wow, definitely did not see that coming. On Clay?! That is a great win for roddick, he should get a lot of confidence out of it.

adee-gee
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Wow, definitely did not see that coming. On Clay?! That is a great win for roddick, he should get a lot of confidence out of it.
Neither did the lad in your avy ;)

Sofyaxo
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
So you can't bitch about how horrible Andy is so you guys take to random things Really what does Santoro and Ljubicic have to do with anything right now? Oh yeah nothing. :rolleyes:

In other news yay Andy! I'm happy that the twins and him pulled it off.

Tom Paulman
02-11-2007, 06:11 PM
LOL and Bob Bryan who hasn't officialy played a single match for almost 1 year defeated Lukas Dlouhy 7-6(5) 6-4. Embarassing match for Dlouhy

2moretogo
02-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Go Andy and Team USA (N. Carolina here we come).

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Go Andy and Team USA (S. Carolina here we come).

I could of swore Winston Salem was in N.Carolina.

Angle Queen
02-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I could of swore Winston Salem was in N.Carolina.It is. :)

the cat
02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Congrats to Andy on beating Berdych and cling the Davis Cup Tie for America. And doing it on red clay makes this win sweeter. I think it's one of the best clutch wins of Roddick's career. :)

dylan24
02-11-2007, 06:23 PM
nice going birdshit
way to disgrace yourself in front of the home crowd

R.Federer
02-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Neither did the lad in your avy ;)

Yeah... I saw the research that you put into that :)

If you dig up the "Who will win? Blake or Almagro?" from last year's French Open, you will see the same people made the similar confident and wrong prediction.

It's a great win for andy, people shouldn't belittle it by saying that he is the next RG Hero and so on. It is a good win in and of itself. The court was slowed down, clay is not his strong point, and Tomas played in front of the home crowd. Tomas's mistake was not winning the tiebreaker. Because then we would be in Set 5.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
It can't be all about the money. What if a clay, or slow hard, court location offered more money than anyone else?

For sure Andy's opinion carries more weight but it doesn't make much difference to him if they play on hard or grass. For Blake it makes a huge difference and Spain would much rather play outdoors than indoors.

Maybe it was just a lucky decision but, as far as I can see, indoor hard is by far the best option.Because they know with an indoor surface that in a couple months they can have plenty of time to make it as fast or as slow as they need/want, depending on the team that's coming. Obviously for Spain it will be pretty fast. But I am willing to bet my own money that this decision was almost all about money. fast indoor hard/carpet is the next best thing to grass (maybe even better?), I'm sure they looked at their potential opponents and knew that Winston-Salem would work regardless of which team would be coming because of the flexibility of the surface that they can put down, so I mean sure I'm sure that played into it, but the articles from the NC newspapers clearly stated that they were given the tie without the USTA exploring other options because of their financial offer.

The situation was the same with Chile last year, and Andy said he wanted grass, so he got grass. I'm sure James would rather have played it on a fast HC or indoors. And especially after what happened this weekend, I think Andy's opinion has a lot of weight. That's just a feeling I have.

Why make it about something completely different to try and score points. :rolleyes:VIVA GM! :rocker2:

Sad.once again, VIVA GM! :rocker:

DrJules
02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
On big occasions, the only player you can rely on to put Andy Roddick in his place is Roger Federer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously, Minar and Berdych did not watch the 6-4, 6-0, 6-2 demonstration of how to play Roddick. And that was not even on a clay court.

Do other players learn anything from the way Federer plays Roddick?

R.Federer
02-11-2007, 06:58 PM
The situation was the same with Chile last year, and Andy said he wanted grass, so he got grass. I'm sure James would rather have played it on a fast HC or indoors. And especially after what happened this weekend, I think Andy's opinion has a lot of weight. That's just a feeling I have.

:confused:

After what happened this weekend, conventional wisdom would be to have it per James's strong point. Andy showed he can win on a surface NOT suited to his strengths. This means that to get the greatest chance of winning, they need the #2 to have the surface he is best on, and one on which andy does very well (hard) but maybe not his best (grass). It does not make sense to go with just andy's preference.

Deboogle!.
02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
:confused:

After what happened this weekend, conventional wisdom would be to have it per James's strong point. Andy showed he can win on a surface NOT suited to his strengths. This means that to get the greatest chance of winning, they need the #2 to have the surface he is best on, and one on which andy does very well (hard) but maybe not his best (grass). It does not make sense to go with just andy's preference.I think the point was more that James is questionable to come through even if the surface suits him, so might as well give Andy the best possible chance to win his 2 points. but as I said in the other thread, i don't think it will matter either way. I think an indoor surface is fine to put spain on as long as it's fast enough. And that was my point - that's why they decided the venue ahead of time based on the money, because an indoor venue is very versatile:)

And of course, the Bryans could play on anything and it wouldn't make much of a difference to them :)On big occasions, the only player you can rely on to put Andy Roddick in his place is Roger Federer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously, Minar and Berdych did not watch the 6-4, 6-0, 6-2 demonstration of how to play Roddick. And that was not even on a clay court.

Do other players learn anything from the way Federer plays Roddick?What a ridiculous thing to say :lol: Do other players learn anything from the way Nadal plays Federer? I mean if all players played the same, how boring would that be?

Corey Feldman
02-11-2007, 07:05 PM
What can you say? on clay.. every dog has its day.

congrats Yanks & Jimmy Rod.

adee-gee
02-11-2007, 07:07 PM

What a ridiculous post :help:

Do people not watch Nadal beating Federer? Why can't they just copy him and beat Federer :sobbing: :silly:

disturb3d
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Roddick, who once coudn't hit two consecutive backhands, now has one of the most consistent backhands in tennis. With his grinding backhand, unpredictable forehand and kick serve, he will be tough to beat on clay.

R.Federer
02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I think the point was more that James is questionable to come through even if the surface suits him, so might as well give Andy the best possible chance to win his 2 points. but as I said in the other thread, i don't think it will matter either way. I think an indoor surface is fine to put spain on as long as it's fast enough. And that was my point - that's why they decided the venue ahead of time based on the money, because an indoor venue is very versatile:)

Okay I see your point.
And yes, I was going to say that the doubles team plays a big role in breaking many ties so yes the Bryans' part in this is also big.

R.Federer
02-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Well I think that some top players did begin to chip andy's serve back in early 2004 and thereafter. I don't know if it is "due to" but certainly many players saw just how effective that could be in the Wimbledon 2003 semis.

Other than that, it is too late in life to make the adjustments and have results. For example, to change your swing SO much to have SO much spin to use nadal's winning strategy against Federer.

nobama
02-11-2007, 07:13 PM
On big occasions, the only player you can rely on to put Andy Roddick in his place is Roger Federer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do other players learn anything from the way Federer plays Roddick?I guess being able to read his serve so well is not something you can teach. :shrug:

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-11-2007, 07:16 PM
:haha: at this result.

DrJules
02-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Do people not watch Nadal beating Federer? Why can't they just copy him and beat Federer :sobbing: :silly:

How much research do coaches do in examining the strengths and weaknesses of opponents?

If you keep doing the same things you will have the same result. i.e. the good match up idea is based on players repeating their stratergies so that they keep losing.

Sjengster
02-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Match-up issues are usually about one player being comfortable with anything the opponent can throw at them, not the specific strategy they choose to adopt. Asking the mighty Ivo Minar to look at tapes of the AO semi and say "Hmm, I just need to serve as accurately as Federer, hit a killer forehand to the corners with pace and spin, and use those brilliant reflexes on the return which I don't have, and then I'll take down Ducky with ease!" is patently ridiculous.

guga2120
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
i actually thought Berdych was going to win this, since it was on clay, and Roddick sucks on clay. But Berdych of course chokes in the big match.

tangerine_dream
02-11-2007, 07:34 PM

:lol: I know right? Something about Roddick brings out the obnoxious idiocy in the Fedtards.

dorkino
02-11-2007, 07:41 PM
A step forward towards clay winnings. Good indeed.

zicofirol
02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Berdych needs to see tapes from every roddick match at RG just keep the ball in play and you shoudl win, he played horrible forcing to many shots , way to many UE, he played like crap after the 1st set...

Richard_from_Cal
02-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Congratulations, Mr. Roddick. I understand that there's no other feeling like representing your country, in Tennis. Supposedly brings the best out of you. ....and somewhere along the line, you've passed Mr. Blake, in the seedings. Congratulations there, as well. Keep moving up!I assume the Spanish won't be dumb enough to play Robredo against Roddick in the QFs, perhaps Ferrer instead remembering how he nearly beat Roddick in Paris at the end of 2005? That would be their best chance, if not a great chance itself, of getting a point on the first day, bearing in mind the other match would presumably be Blake v Nadal...
The Spanish players <currently> are:
2) Rafael Nadal....(1-1 vs. Roddick)
7) Tommy Robredo....(0-7 vs. Roddick)
15) David Ferrer....(1-1 vs Roddick)
27) Juan Carlos Ferrero....(0-3 vs. Roddick)
31) Nicolas Almagro....(never faced)
33) Fernando Verdasco....(2-5 vs. Roddick)
36) Carlos Moya....(1-4 vs. Roddick)
56) Alberto Martin....(1-4 vs. Roddick)
57) Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo....(never faced)
70) Guillermo Garcia-Lopez....(0-1 vs. Roddick)
78) Albert Montanes....(never faced)
92) Feliciano Lopez....(0-2 vs. Roddick)

...and there are plenty more Spaniards in the woodshed...

R.Federer
02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
There is something in what Dr Jules said.

It is clear you can't just decide "Okay I will play like Federer did in Melbourne" and win. But you can adopt some things, like see if he exposed him by drawing him to the net. Or if chipping his serves back forced the issue. Or if he had difficulties in transition late in the match, stuff like that. Even so you won't have the same results because you are not the player you are copying. However, where strategy is concerned players do learn from other players' success.

Match-up issues are usually about one player being comfortable with anything the opponent can throw at them, not the specific strategy they choose to adopt. Asking the mighty Ivo Minar to look at tapes of the AO semi and say "Hmm, I just need to serve as accurately as Federer, hit a killer forehand to the corners with pace and spin, and use those brilliant reflexes on the return which I don't have, and then I'll take down Ducky with ease!" is patently ridiculous.

2moretogo
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I could of swore Winston Salem was in N.Carolina.

Whoops!

It is. :)

My bad. (typo)

Thanks for the correction.

Sjengster
02-11-2007, 08:02 PM
There is something in what Dr Jules said.

It is clear you can't just decide "Okay I will play like Federer did in Melbourne" and win. But you can adopt some things, like see if he exposed him by drawing him to the net. Or if chipping his serves back forced the issue. Or if he had difficulties in transition late in the match, stuff like that. Even so you won't have the same results because you are not the player you are copying. However, where strategy is concerned players do learn from other players' success.

The fact that Minar won a set indicates he did try something along those lines, or found a similar weakness in the Roddick game at some stage of the match. But for all those well-versed cliches such as "Anyone can beat anyone" and "In DC anything can happen", there is a major difference between Minar's optimum level of performance and Roddick's, no matter what the tactical approach.

Klaas_nalbandian
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
great win for andy, well done

BigAlbinoDonky
02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Andy Roddick dominated the pathetic Czechs nearly single-handedly. Roddick, even on clay, had the better serve, the better forehand, the better backhand, and more heart and grit than the overrated Berdych in their match. Great display by the Rodmaster.

Johnny Groove
02-11-2007, 09:09 PM
We should play the Spaniards on green clay :devil:

Jlee
02-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Great win for the Americans :yeah:

A Nadal/Roddick match :drool:

GlennMirnyi
02-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Had Dlouhy played friday, the Czechs would win. Navratil messed up.

Watch Roddick lose to Vassallo-Arguello in RG's 1st round. :lol:

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Berdych needs to see tapes from every roddick match at RG just keep the ball in play and you shoudl win, he played horrible forcing to many shots , way to many UE, he played like crap after the 1st set...

Sadly, Berdych isn't exactly known for tactical acumen, is he?

DrJules
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM

Actually the reverse may be happening. Federer has watched how Blake and Berdych play Nadal and in his last 2 matches applied it. Federer has a history of changing tactics and strategies to beat players to whom he lost regularly (He has reversed a number of sizeable runs against him).

So many players who have 5 / 10 successive defeats against a player play the same way and continue to lose. Numerous top players who come on court to face Federer have decided that they have lost the match before it starts and do not try unusual tactics and approaches to win. Nadal believed he could win and realised that Federer struggles against heavily top spun balls which Federer cannot hit cleanly and excellent defenders who can keep the ball in play waiting for his error.

Early in the 80's Lendl beat McEnroe 7 times in a row. Coaches told McEnroe to attack the net more and take time away from Lendl. McEnroe wins 8 of next 9 matches.

Ashe gave Connors no pace in the Wimbledon final of 1975 and wins against the odds.

How many players ask what tactics and stratergies should I employ to win? How many vary their games?

scoobs
02-12-2007, 12:02 AM
How many have the option to vary their game?

Most have a limited or nonexistant plan B it seems to me.

adee-gee
02-12-2007, 12:14 AM

:zzz:

yakuzaninja
02-12-2007, 12:46 AM
We were told that Berdych wasn't losing no matter what, so this is a rather nice bonus. :)

Voo de Mar
02-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Where is the 5th and decsive rubber between Dlouhy and Blake?????

;)

Osama B Hitler
02-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Well done Roddick. The Birdman is a quality player. To beat him on the road in Davis Cup on red clay is a great result.

Its funny how the better Roddick's results are, the shriller the posts from the haters. Its like they just can't stand it when Roddick has great results. And there always has to be an excuse for his great results - the semifinal result in his first try in Rome, the quality players he has beaten on clay......

I like Roddick but don't consider myself a big-time Roddick fan but the fact is the guy is clearly a helluva tennis player. You don't finish in the top 10 for 5 straight years (and top 6 for 4 straight years including a #1 in 2003) without having much more than just a serve. Look at Greg Rusedski.

partygirl
02-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Everyone so scared Andy might learn to play on clay as well:p:boxing:ooooooh!

nobama
02-12-2007, 05:10 AM
How many players ask what tactics and stratergies should I employ to win? How many vary their games?Yes, I'm sure Jimmy Connors hasn't given Roddick any tactics on how to beat Fed. I'm sure Larry Stefanki told Gonzo to 'just go out there and try your best, son'. :rolleyes: Of course all these guys are trying to find a way to beat him, look how close Roddick came in Shanghai. But it's a lot easier said than done to change your gameplan in the middle of a match. And it's not like these guys have a ton of different options they can switch to if plan A isn't working.

yomike
02-12-2007, 05:40 AM
The most pathetic claycourt match of Tomas Berdych's career.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 06:14 AM
The most pathetic claycourt match of Tomas Berdych's career.:rolleyes: Let me guess, you didn't even see it? I'm quite sure he must've played a claycourt match worse than this one. :)

yomike
02-12-2007, 06:39 AM
:rolleyes: Let me guess, you didn't even see it? I'm quite sure he must've played a claycourt match worse than this one. :)

Maybe behind the lost to Srichaphan at RG. That's probably a lot worse coz Srichaphan is an even greater claycourt hack than Andy Roddick

Action Jackson
02-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Maybe behind the lost to Srichaphan at RG. That's probably a lot worse coz Srichaphan is an even greater claycourt hack than Andy Roddick

It takes a special skill to lose to Srichaphan on clay.

bad gambler
02-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I wish I could say the result was "as expected" bilbo style but........lol

oz_boz
02-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Kind of expected this, Berdych isn't known for his consistency. Congrats Americans.

Fun QF against Spain ahead.

jeahhh!
02-12-2007, 02:13 PM

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sleep009.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Angle Queen
02-12-2007, 03:02 PM
How many players ask what tactics and stratergies should I employ to win? How many vary their games?

How many have the option to vary their game?

Most have a limited or nonexistant plan B it seems to me.

Yes, I'm sure Jimmy Connors hasn't given Roddick any tactics on how to beat Fed. I'm sure Larry Stefanki told Gonzo to 'just go out there and try your best, son'. :rolleyes: Of course all these guys are trying to find a way to beat him, look how close Roddick came in Shanghai. But it's a lot easier said than done to change your gameplan in the middle of a match. And it's not like these guys have a ton of different options they can switch to if plan A isn't working.Sorry Scoobs and Mirkaland, I think you might have missed DocJules point. At the level all these pros are, they definitely have options. It's more a question of if they're willing to use them.

Sure, they all won't have a big serve...but they all have good ones and ought to be able to place them well in the box. Same goes for groundstrokes and volleys. The real issue is can they (and their coaches) deconstruct their prior defeats, come up with a realistic gameplan...and then employ it...even if it doesn't appear to be working at first. What, for goodness sakes, have they got to lose? The old ways were losing ways too.

Here's where I'll :hatoff: to Roddick again. He knows he stays too far behind the baseline and he's working on changing that. It just goes to show you how hard it is to change a "habit."

I once read (wish, wish, wish I could remember the source) that the reason s/v isn't done (with success) anymore is because youngsters find early success NOT doing it. They stay on the baseline, hit big, easy strokes, wait for their opponent to make the error -- rather than going for an outright (and much easier) winner at the net. Therefore, they never bother to try to include it in their repertoire so when they need it (as a changed gameplan) it's not there.

But I simply don't buy the argument that pros don't have options.

nobama
02-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry Scoobs and Mirkaland, I think you might have missed DocJules point. At the level all these pros are, they definitely have options. It's more a question of if they're willing to use them.I never said the don't have options. I said against Federer it's difficult to go to plan B, C, D, or whatever during a match when things aren't going as planned. If it was that easy players would be doing it. Unless you think these guys are so used to losing to him time after time they don't care anymore?

LoveFifteen
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
What a pleasure to see GeorgeWHitler and GlennMirnyi exposed as the fools that they are! :hearts:

adee-gee
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't think we were saying they don't have options.

What we're saying is that some people just aren't able to do things other people can. Nadal can't serve like Karlovic, Federer can't scrap like Hewitt, Roddick can't return like Agassi etc.

Yes they can watch Federer's beatdown of Roddick but it won't necessarily help them. Drawing him to the net is a possibility but then they have to be able to constantly come up with the pass. They also have to be able to return his serve, Federer makes it look easy whereas most can't get close to it.

So it's all very well saying players have options, but they need to have the capabilities to pull them off. I keep saying I wish Nadal would be more aggressive and stand closer to the baseline, but it's obviously beyond him at the moment and as such he chooses not to do it during matches.

tangerine_dream
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
I wish I could say the result was "as expected" bilbo style but........lol
Bilbo's a clown, you know that. :haha: He says that Roddick beating Berdych on clay in Berdych's hometown was an "expected win" but then he goes on to still question whether Roddick is the "real deal" in another thread. Yeah, okay. :cuckoo:

Merton
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Congrats to Andy and the US team, they made it through a tie that was more difficult than it appeared on paper. The result was surprising for me, I expected Tomas to come through this match but he couldn't seriously threaten Andy's serve and it ended up resembling a hard court match. The disappointing part is that Tomas could not adjust mid-match to grinding out points, he never tried to use the surface to his advantage.

Andy played an excellent match, I think it was one of his best performances on clay. The match was a well earned boost to Andy's confidence, hopefully it means that the AO result is past him. It is too early to think about the clay court season at this point, there are important hard court tounaments coming up.

R.Federer
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM

What's with all the laughter that someone's predictions were wrong? It's not like every prediction of every poster is always right on (because they would be billionaires from their gambling profits and not waste time here).

You Loremaster, never made a prediction on MTF that was wrong?? :confused:

R.Federer
02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
The match was a well earned boost to Andy's confidence, hopefully it means that the AO result is past him.
I dont think roddick's result at the AO were disappointing exactly. Semis of a slam? Most people would welcome that wholeheartedly. From the draw he knew he'd have to get past Roger to have a chance to win. Losing in the semis, nothing to be disappointed about.

yakuzaninja
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
What a pleasure to see GeorgeWHitler and GlennMirnyi exposed as the fools that they are! :hearts:

GlennMirnyi is a fool who comes up with stupid excuses for players he dislikes winning matches, but GWH seems to know his stuff mostly.

Action Jackson
02-13-2007, 01:48 AM

When you have the testicular fortitude to make a prediction or actually contribute something to a conversation about tennis, instead of posting your gay fantasies and making fun of a players mother (Henin) for dying of cancer, then you might graduate past the simpleton stage.

Merton
02-13-2007, 02:18 AM
I dont think roddick's result at the AO were disappointing exactly. Semis of a slam? Most people would welcome that wholeheartedly. From the draw he knew he'd have to get past Roger to have a chance to win. Losing in the semis, nothing to be disappointed about.

I had in mind the scoreline of his semifinal match, not making the semis.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2007, 04:30 PM
You Ducktards are totally delusional. :lol: Hyping the duck again. Last time he was humiliated by Federer. When will you ever wake up?

Losing to Arthurs on clay is the single most humiliating experience a player can have.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2007, 04:32 PM
GlennMirnyi is a fool who comes up with stupid excuses for players he dislikes winning matches, but GWH seems to know his stuff mostly.

You're just a fanboy that should be watching football, as tennis isn't exactly your strenght.

Dusk Soldier
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Didn't you use to have the Jamaican flag set beside your name?

guille&tati4life
02-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I said in a thread earlier this year that Berdych was not that good on clay. I'd say he is an all court player but that clay is his worst surface. In the last year he has lost to Tahiri, Simon, Portas, Serra, Kiefer, Hajek (admittedly, he had injury problems) and now Roddick.

On grass, he has only lost to Federer. So why do people think that Tomas is better on clay than grass? He has had some perplexing results on clay.

yakuzaninja
02-13-2007, 04:52 PM
You're just a fanboy that should be watching football, as tennis isn't exactly your strenght.

Been researching have we? I'm no fanboy.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
:lol: Coming from the ultimate fanboy thats rich. 'I only like players who can volley, as they are the only ones with talent'.

RickDaStick
02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Didn't you use to have the Jamaican flag set beside your name?

Yes i did but whats your point? I also have a pic of Ivan Ljubicic in my avatar, does that mean i am actually ivan ljubicic?

jeahhh!
02-13-2007, 04:59 PM

I actually find football harder to understand:o

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2007, 05:01 PM
:lol: Coming from the ultimate fanboy thats rich. 'I only like players who can volley, as they are the only ones with talent'.

What are you still doing here? "Serve isn't tennis"... :lol: You're not very smart, right?

RickDaStick
02-13-2007, 05:03 PM

What are you still doing here? "Serve isn't tennis"... :lol: You're not very smart, right?

Andre has had a lot of gems on MTF already, but the top 2 have to be the serve isnt a talent and coria is the more talented player on tour.

GlennMirnyi
02-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Andre has had a lot of gems on MTF already, but the top 2 have to be the serve isnt a talent and coria is the more talented player on tour.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-13-2007, 05:08 PM

Hahaha. I didn't say serve isn't tennis, I said serve isn't a tennis talent. You, as a clown, state that Agassi has no talent, thats enough for me to know you have no knowledge.

Apemant
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
I said serve isn't a tennis talent.

Serve is mostly technique and practice, but surely you also need some talent to master it. If not, then why doesn't every player develop a Roddick's serve? He is 'only' 187, many players are taller than him.

And BTW, arguing over whether serve is a tennis talent would better suit someone who isn't a fan of Rafael Nadal. Because, quite obviously, Nadal's greatest strengths are his energy and speed, things you can hardly call 'tennis talents'.

Of course, I'm not saying Nadal isn't talented at all. His biggest tennis talent would be, in my opinion, the ability to hit winners from extremely unfavorable positions, e.g. running at full speed. Not many people can do that, and I guess he doesn't actually PRACTICE that on a daily basis (like you can practice your serve: just smash the ball thousand times in a row, as Goran used to do). So it must be something that comes naturally to him.

Regenbogen
02-13-2007, 05:28 PM
You Ducktards are totally delusional. :lol: Hyping the duck again. Last time he was humiliated by Federer. When will you ever wake up?

Losing to Arthurs on clay is the single most humiliating experience a player can have.

Since when does thinking he doesn't suck = hyping him? :p Roddick isn't great on clay, but it was a good effort and he won his matches.

shotgun
02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
I said in a thread earlier this year that Berdych was not that good on clay. I'd say he is an all court player but that clay is his worst surface. In the last year he has lost to Tahiri, Simon, Portas, Serra, Kiefer, Hajek (admittedly, he had injury problems) and now Roddick.

On grass, he has only lost to Federer. So why do people think that Tomas is better on clay than grass? He has had some perplexing results on clay.

You could also make a case for him losing to guys like Simon and Vik on hardcourt, too. Out of his two titles, one is on clay (Palermo), and he also reached the final in Bastad. I don't think clay is his worst surface, in fact it's very hard to judge what it is. The fact is that, despite having improved a lot last year in this regard, he's still a lot prone to being upset. The defeat he suffered to Melzer in Sydney was an upset, too. Having a risky game with a low margin for errors will do that for him, especially when he's not focused, as it happened last Sunday.

PS: He hasn't lost to Tahiri, nor to Kiefer. He won these matches.

Winston's Human
02-13-2007, 06:13 PM

It cannot be that humiliating given that Igor Andreev (the current bandwagon player after last weekend's heroics) lost on clay to Arthurs more recently -- Munich 2005.

guille&tati4life
02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
You could also make a case for him losing to guys like Simon and Vik on hardcourt, too. Out of his two titles, one is on clay (Palermo), and he also reached the final in Bastad. I don't think clay is his worst surface, in fact it's very hard to judge what it is. The fact is that, despite having improved a lot last year in this regard, he's still a lot prone to being upset. The defeat he suffered to Melzer in Sydney was an upset, too. Having a risky game with a low margin for errors will do that for him, especially when he's not focused, as it happened last Sunday.

PS: He hasn't lost to Tahiri, nor to Kiefer. He won these matches.

ATP website said that he had lost those matches, if not then i apologise for false info :o.

I agree, he is good on all surfaces and there is not much difference on his levels on each.

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm really just dying to know how many people here who are judging the match actually saw it?

Chris Seahorse
02-13-2007, 11:53 PM

It cannot be that humiliating given that Igor Andreev (the current bandwagon player after last weekend's heroics) lost on clay to Arthurs more recently -- Munich 2005.

Good post, Winston's Human. GlennMirnyi really does need to be exposed when he makes sweeping ignorant statements like this. Fact is you can never sum up a players ability or lack of it by one result. Someone who follows tennis seriously should know that.