Nadal withdraws from Marseille [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal withdraws from Marseille

Feketepuss
02-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm surprised no one else seems to have noticed but Nadal has withdrawn from Marseilles. The number one seed with by Davydenko.

Is he injured or is it flu? Both have been reported.

Deathless Mortal
02-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I think he's injured... Something happened in DC tie Switzerland-Spain.

jazar
02-11-2007, 10:34 AM
he did something to i think it was his knee whilst practicing for the davis cup. another injury in a long line

t0x
02-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Rafa is getting sooo many injuries lately. He's going to have to make big changes to his game, and soon...

Sunset of Age
02-11-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm surprised no one else seems to have noticed but Nadal has withdrawn from Marseilles. The number one seed with by Davydenko.

I've already reported that yesterday in various threads...

Another injury - it's getting too much. Rafa should really get some help - changing his game, other training schedule, whatever, because if he keeps getting injuries at the rate he is now, he is obviously not going to last very long. Poor bloke!

Naide
02-11-2007, 12:42 PM
marseilles without s is better

Xristos
02-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I hope I see you soon Rafa..

RickDaStick
02-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Nadal is a p*ssy

NadalMachine
02-11-2007, 04:53 PM
His legs and famous ass start to wear out. All those running in past.

gusman890
02-11-2007, 04:54 PM
and the counter-puncher decline is starting.

Happens to every guy to played that style : Hewitt, Chang, Schuettler, etc

NYCtennisfan
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't think he was a 100% so he decided it was better to rest than play for not all that much.

nobama
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
He has a title to defend in Dubai. Needs to be 100% for that.

trickcy
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
He is not playing 100%, no? He should play 100% for Dubai, no? Federer is No.1, he's favourite for Dubai, no? He definitely needs to be 120% fit, no? :p

Sunset of Age
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
and the counter-puncher decline is starting.

Happens to every guy to played that style : Hewitt, Chang, Schuettler, etc

As Rafa is working hard to actually change his playing style (which takes quite some time, BTW), I conclude that he's aware of this himself and, in contrary to the amentioned 'other guys', bound not to let himself burn out too fast and decline. I trust he'll manage.

dylan24
02-11-2007, 06:26 PM
nadal should just take the rest of the year off
and rest

Langers
02-11-2007, 06:31 PM

That’s got to be a blow for the tournament. :tape:

Pfloyd
02-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Some people here are real a$$holes...

It's fine you guys don't like Rafa, but to be happy with his injury is another thing entirely

R.Federer
02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
What a terrible start to the year.

Injured in Sydney, injured in Melbourne, injured in DC, withdraws from Marseille. I guess he really should get fit in time for the clay season where he has so many points to defend.

Sunset of Age
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
What a terrible start to the year.

Injured in Sydney, injured in Melbourne, injured in DC, withdraws from Marseille. I guess he really should get fit in time for the clay season where he has so many points to defend.

Horrible, indeed. :sad:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him!

nobama
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Some people here are real a$$holes...

It's fine you guys don't like Rafa, but to be happy with his injury is another thing entirelyWho's happy? :confused: IF he's not 100% he shouldn't play since he's got a title to defend in Dubai. Makes sense to me.

Sunset of Age
02-11-2007, 06:52 PM
I agree - most of the posters seem to show compassion for Rafa here... and rightly so.

TenHound
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Claiming injury is the only way to get out of commitments, so it doesn't mean he's injured. Plus he always claims injury when he loses - hence lots of "injuries" recently. yawn...

guga2120
02-11-2007, 07:42 PM
this does not suprise me, i think it sucks but he seems to have an injury every week.

dorkino
02-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Allez Rafael.

sondraj06
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Claiming injury is the only way to get out of commitments, so it doesn't mean he's injured. Plus he always claims injury when he loses - hence lots of "injuries" recently. yawn...

Loses he didn't play to lose, what are you talking about.

tangerine_dream
02-11-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm really anxious about the upcoming clay season for Rafa. I hope this is just a precautionary withdrawal and nothing serious.

Kalliopeia
02-11-2007, 09:49 PM

He almost never cites injury when he loses. As far as I know he's done that one time, after the Australian Open loss to Gonzalez.

kobulingam
02-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Rafa is getting sooo many injuries lately. He's going to have to make big changes to his game, and soon...

He just has to play more on clay and less on HC. He should only play the TMS and Majors that are on HC. Don't play any smaller ATP tournament on HC.

Stick to playing smaller tournaments on clay. That's the smart thing to do.

kobulingam
02-11-2007, 09:52 PM
He almost never cites injury when he loses. As far as I know he's done that one time, after the Australian Open loss to Gonzalez.

He usually says it in a subtle way like "i don't want to blame my <insert body part>. he play a good level and beat me today. no excuses for injury, no? he play better today, no? injury don't matter, he play unbeilevable today"

Kalliopeia
02-11-2007, 10:00 PM
He usually says it in a subtle way like "i don't want to blame my <insert body part>. he play a good level and beat me today. no excuses for injury, no? he play better today, no? injury don't matter, he play unbeilevable today"

But that's usually only after being specifically asked about the body part in question. He rarely brings it up himself.

Jlee
02-12-2007, 02:19 AM
I was worried that he would start having these injury problems sooner or later...:(

Maybe he needs to adjust his game. Hopefully he'll at least be healthy when the clay season starts...

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 03:13 AM
Who's happy? :confused: IF he's not 100% he shouldn't play since he's got a title to defend in Dubai. Makes sense to me.

I hope he's 100% by Dubai.

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 03:15 AM
But that's usually only after being specifically asked about the body part in question. He rarely brings it up himself.

After losing to Youzhy in USO (where he didn't 'show any evidence of an injury uring the match, not timeouts, nothing), how did journalists get hold of the "injury" information? Who leaked it? Has to be someone in Team Rafa.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 03:17 AM
oh picking at grapes here are we, other players have injuries there mentioned in interviews, get over it

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 03:30 AM
oh picking at grapes here are we, other players have injuries there mentioned in interviews, get over it

No. If a player plays through a small nagging injury, nobody finds out. Federer played through a cold in most of his AO matches, including the final. Even then it was hardly mentioned, but only mentioned because they saw the red nose, sneezing, congested voice.

If a player has a small muscle pain and plays through a match without an injury timeout, then who would find out? Of course, if the player is Ljubicic, everyone would know because that the first thing he'll mention once he loses.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 03:38 AM
why should a player play through a injury with no injury time out, are people insane have you ever had a serious inury then had to play through it at a high level sporting competition. First off that is unbelievable unhealthy, and not too mention this is their lively hood, this isn't let me play tennis for a hour on the court for fun. You don't do anything that would risk that lively hood or your health

kobulingam
02-12-2007, 03:50 AM
why should a player play through a injury with no injury time out, are people insane have you ever had a serious inury then had to play through it at a high level sporting competition. First off that is unbelievable unhealthy, and not too mention this is their lively hood, this isn't let me play tennis for a hour on the court for fun. You don't do anything that would risk that lively hood or your health

Huh? I'm talking about players playing through little nagging injuries, losing, then talk of injury leaks so fast that they are asked questions in the post match interviews.

If there is no evidence of injury, AND the player played through the match, then we can assume the injury was just a small injury.

Every top flight athlete plays through tiny injuries. Look at the NBA, almost every (probably all) starter has some sort of tendonitis near the end of the season.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 04:00 AM
Oh O.K yeah but nadal doesn't complain about little nagging injuries, in fact he doesn't complain about too much other people ask him about his injuries. when he has injuries they are serious, serious enough to take him out of tournaments. and to his credit he still plays through those.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Why are people bagging on Nadal so much? He played every match at the AO with an injury, and still played some great tennis, and he didn't even mention his injury all tourney long, even though people who worked at the tourney saw that he was hurt and that he was trying to hide it. I'm really missing all this.

Kalliopeia
02-12-2007, 04:40 AM
After losing to Youzhy in USO (where he didn't 'show any evidence of an injury uring the match, not timeouts, nothing), how did journalists get hold of the "injury" information? Who leaked it? Has to be someone in Team Rafa.

I don't remember anyone associated with him mentioning it. I think he did actually call for a trainer in an earlier match to retape that foot, and there was someone (Werthem, maybe?) who said something about seeing him before the match (or maybe after) and appearing to be having some kind of problem with that foot and they noted how he'd refrained from mentioning he had any kind of problem. So, I don't know. I don't get the idea that anyone on Rafa's team is going to make a habit of making excuses for him.

sawan66278
02-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Injuries are a part of all sports. What Rafa needs to do (and I have no idea if he is doing so or not) is seek alternative ways to work on his movement and fitness. Athletes like Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki are noted for bringing in trainers who are aware of the potential physical problems. They have worked on allowing them to reach their max. potential without the physical impact that comes form traditional workouts.

Like I said: Rafa may be doing this. But again, I think he also sees that year is long, and there are so many tourneys to play. At this point in his career, he can't catch Roger, so the best thing to do would be to continue collecting clay titles and tweaking his game with a targeted peak time/date of two or three years from now. And I think this is the gameplan in the Nadal camp.

sondraj06
02-12-2007, 04:48 AM
hopefully it works out, and I hope he can keep his no 2 status in the mean time.

brickhousesupporter
02-12-2007, 04:52 AM
It would be such a shame if injuries were to drive him out the sport. For all the people saying that he should retool his game, I just don't see that happening. You can retool a stoke or strengthen a weakness but a major overhaul to his game is not going to happen. His mind is programmed to play one way and when things get tough that is where his instincts will take his game.

RickDaStick
02-12-2007, 04:54 AM
It would be such a shame if injuries were to drive him out the sport. For all the people saying that he should retool his game, I just don't see that happening. You can retool a stoke or strengthen a weakness but a major overhaul to his game is not going to happen. His mind is programmed to play one way and when things get tough that is where his instincts will take his game.

tennis needs really players so losing a moonballer such as rafa would only benefit tennis. Hope that grass at Wimbledon isnt too slick.

DrJules
02-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Continued play often makes injuries worse or delays recovery. Nadal probably has played too often and too much with injuries; Madrid 2005 was injured, played and out for months after the event.

DrJules
02-12-2007, 07:29 AM
No. If a player plays through a small nagging injury, nobody finds out. Federer played through a cold in most of his AO matches, including the final. Even then it was hardly mentioned, but only mentioned because they saw the red nose, sneezing, congested voice.

If a player has a small muscle pain and plays through a match without an injury timeout, then who would find out? Of course, if the player is Ljubicic, everyone would know because that the first thing he'll mention once he loses.

Not likely to cause the same long term damage and make the injury worse that playing with muscle damage.

oz_boz
02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Probably nothing big, but he doesn't want to risk anything.

Hope he gets well soon.

rosamunda
02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I wonder whether Nadal's injuries are partly psychologically-induced. I don't mean by that that he's imagining them or using them as an excuse not to play or anything like that. More that, because he's quite uncomfortable on hard courts, he perhaps can't (mentally) move as freely or instinctively as on clay, and so he gets more physically tense - his mind won't let him be loose. A body that's tight is far more likely to suffer injury than a relaxed one. On top of the mis-match between his brand of tennis and and the unforgiving nature of the average hard court, this might be an additional problem for him. He does seem to be particularly injury-prone for one so young, so there may be something more involved than just the physical effects of the hard long-rallied grinding thing. Just a thought.....

avocadoe
02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
get well rafa, definitely something hurt and caused him not to play DC...