Player Injuries [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Player Injuries

Gulliver
02-11-2007, 12:48 AM
I have just discovered TennisInsight.com and there is a "New" category listing Injuries. You can also call up individual players and see what injuries they have sustained since Jan. 2006, and whether it meant ret. or W/D or W/O.

With the furore surrounding the court for the SUI/ESP tie and whether it was that which led to Wawrinka (knee) and Nadal (thigh) being injured, it led me to see if they and other players are injury prone anyway, or if fast indoor carpet meant a tendency to get injured.

Wawrinka's last injury (shoulder) was in Jan. 2006 and so there was a W/O from the Doubles. So he does not appear injury prone.

Nadal, on the other hand, is as follows: (updated Feb 11th)

Feb 10 2007 Thigh - WD from Marseille ATP Singles
Feb 9 2007 Thigh - WD from Davis Cup Singles
Jan 8 2007 Groin - ret. from Sydney ATP Singles - returned Jan 15 2007
Oct 30 2006 Ribs - WD from Paris TMS Singles - returned Nov 12 2006
Sep 11 2006 Ankle - WD from Beijing ATP Singles - returned Sep 22 2006
Jul 17 2006 Left Hand - WD from Stuttgart ATP Singles - returned Aug 7 2006
Jun 12 2006 Shoulder - ret. from Queens Club ATP Singles - returned Jun 26 2006
May 15 2006 Fatigue - WD from Hamburg TMS Singles - returned May 29 2006
Mar 10 2006 Ankle - w/o from Indian Wells TMS Doubles - returned Mar 20 2006
Feb 20 2006 Leg - WD from Rotterdam ATP Singles - returned Feb 27 2006

So he appears injury prone. As a matter of interest, I had a look at the rest of the top 10, and he has far more than any of the others. Blake hasn't had any since Jan 2006 - good thing too, after earlier years.

A quick look down the carpet tournaments, and there do not appear to be more than for any other surface. I was looking for injuries to legs, as that is usually caused by the surface.

I am also intrigued when the reason is "unknown" - what implications does that have for the player? Anyone know if they get fined?

So what causes a player to be injury prone, do you think? Monfils, as an example, takes too many risks on the court, but what about, say, Gasquet?

Horatio Caine
02-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Nadal is wear and tear

Monfils, as you say, makes too many acrobatic stunts

Gasquet? No idea. He is fairly stocky...maybe that is not all muscle. Could be down to general technique. Where does he usually get injured?

sondraj06
02-11-2007, 12:57 AM
I know, I wonder the same thing. I would really like to know why my baby has so many injuries too. I know he had a big problem with the lignment of his foot and now he has insoles, so i assume that is taken care of. and he is incredible fit, probably the most fit player in the atp, so I don't know why he is always injured. He just has awful luck

Vin Judah
02-11-2007, 01:09 AM
I know, I wonder the same thing. I would really like to know why my baby has so many injuries too. I know he had a big problem with the lignment of his foot and now he has insoles, so i assume that is taken care of. and he is incredible fit, probably the most fit player in the atp, so I don't know why he is always injured. He just has awful luck

i doubt that!!!!!!!!!

sondraj06
02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
who is more fit honestly, tell me, have you seen him.:hearts:

Sunset of Age
02-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Just to say one thing, I can't take anyone who addresses a player as 'my baby' seriously. Please show more respect to a great tennis player - he's not this Boy Band sort-of-guy. Or at least I hope.

sondraj06
02-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Just to say one thing, I can't take anyone who addresses a player as 'my baby' seriously. Please show more respect to a great tennis player - he's not this Boy Band sort-of-guy. Or at least I hope.

Frak off, two things here, you are under the impression I give a damn if you take me seriously or not. And i can address anyone any which way I want. O.K peaches:cool:

sondraj06
02-11-2007, 01:31 AM

And if you are so damn serious about his tennis answer the part about his tennis. smart ass

El Legenda
02-11-2007, 01:32 AM
who is more fit honestly, tell me, have you seen him.:hearts:

Ljubicic is probably the fittest or in tennis shape.

SaltoKlose
02-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Is Davydenko still carrying the stress fracture in his leg?

Is that why he isn't in Chile?

sondraj06
02-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Well I wouldn't know, I don't really follow his workout regime, I don't know all that much about him, but I do know Nadal's and he seems totally fit not just in tennis shape but as a athlete, in any sport, but I'll take your word, no argument here.

Kalliopeia
02-11-2007, 04:11 AM
And if you are so damn serious about his tennis answer the part about his tennis. smart ass

:rolleyes: Well I guess it's a good thing you don't care if you're taken seriously.

As for the question of why he's always injured...it's pretty simple. His style is brutal to his body on hard courts. All those tournaments listed were hard court tournaments, I think. Except the one grass.

kobulingam
02-11-2007, 04:45 AM
:rolleyes: Well I guess it's a good thing you don't care if you're taken seriously.

As for the question of why he's always injured...it's pretty simple. His style is brutal to his body on hard courts. All those tournaments listed were hard court tournaments, I think. Except the one grass.

Bingo. Clay is soft on the body. It's very tiring because of long rallies, but it doesn't punish you for making jerky movements. Nadal makes tiny slides on hardcourt which really look bad. Monfils is even worse, he tries to slide on hardcourt like it's clay.

FluffyYellowBall
02-11-2007, 09:23 AM
^^^sliding isnt the isssue with his fitness. Nadal mostly slides while players such as gasquet prefer to use little steps and even hes always injured.

jazar
02-11-2007, 09:25 AM
nadal gets something new every month. he wants to keep up with the latest trends

Gulliver
02-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Don't know why he's not in Chile (maybe on a second honeymoon :) ), but he was able to play AO so apparently isn't injured and he's playing Marseille this coming week.

Gasquet actually has been doing pretty well, so I was wrong about that.

Oct 30 2006 Right Quadriceps - w/o from Paris TMS Singles
May 22 2006 Right Elbow - ret. from Portschach ATP Singles - returned May 29 2006

And he played in Sydney Jan 7.

I regret to say that Nadal is really the standout for injuries and withdrawals (10). Roddick is next with 5, though, to be fair, he missed 3 tourneys with the one injury (l. side/abdominal strain). Nalbandian has 4 (2 of which are unknown :rolleyes: )

Action Jackson
02-11-2007, 12:03 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

tangerine_dream
03-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Haas' Wimbledon ankle injury. I can only imagine the pain he was in. :scared:

RonE
03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Haas' Wimbledon ankle injury. I can only imagine the pain he was in. :scared:

FFS I did not need to see that :tape: