What's in a name? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What's in a name?

amalyn
02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi there,

I've been wondering whether some of the players' names actually mean something in their respective languages or if they sound like something. For example (since I'm German), "Kiefer" is a type of tree - pine, I think, but I'm not sure. And "Haas" is not really a word, but it sounds a lot like "Hase" which means "hare". Or "Kohlschreiber" would theoretically be someone writing on cabbage or writing 'cabbage', but of course that doesn't make any sense. :lol:

So, do other players have names that have a meaning or almost have a meaning? It'd be great if you could help me here! :)

I hope this hasn't been talked about before, but I searched and couldn't find anything. Sorry if there's already a thread!

decrepitude
02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Grosjean = Big John?

Deathless Mortal
02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Slovenian player Zemlja
Zemlja=Clay :lol:

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
02-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Arnaud Clément

clément adj = mild, merciful, lenient

Black Adam
02-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Grosjean = Big John?
More like Fat John

Monfils= My son
Fish= the one that lives in water
Dent= to sink,to show initial progress
Henman= one who take care of or sells hens
Rafter=any of a series of timbers,a person who travels on a raft

George_Hanson
02-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Michal Przysiezny = not exactly, but it could mean "Swearing Michal". I have no idea about other two Polish players, Kubot and Chadaj, it doesnt mean anything. The other Polish player you could have heard about - Olejniczak could mean "made of oil". Others are not worth mentioning, cause nobody knows them

George_Hanson
02-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Fyrstenberg / Matkowski

Fyrstenberg is not a Polish surname, it must have German origins and in Polish it doesn't mean anything. Matkowski....hmmm....close to mother ? Just like his nickname.

Deathless Mortal
02-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Frytka and Matka :D

George_Hanson
02-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Frytka and Matka :D

French fry and Mother :devil:

Deathless Mortal
02-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah, i think so too :D

jazar
02-10-2007, 08:00 PM
henman - his ancestors raised poultry

Tennis-Engineer
02-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Nalbandian : The ancestry of those who make and install shoe for horses.

I would like to know about Roddick !

Tom Paulman
02-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Dlouhy = Long

R.Federer
02-10-2007, 08:32 PM
henman - his ancestors raised poultry

OMG :haha:

R.Federer
02-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Confederation Helvetique is just an evolution of the original which of course as all Swiss know from history lessons is Confederer Helvetique. :)

R.Federer
02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Pat Cash's forefathers had a lot of money.

Mardy's forefathers ate off the ocean.

R.Federer
02-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Sam Querrey's name comes from asking a LOT of questions.

Monfils = my son?

El Legenda
02-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Ljubicic= owns USA in Davis Cup play

mallorn
02-10-2007, 08:52 PM
^^ :lol:

Nice thread, amalyn. :)

Nadal = Christmas

ZackBusner
02-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Fyrstenberg / Matkowski

Fyrstenberg is not a Polish surname, it must have German origins and in Polish it doesn't mean anything. Matkowski....hmmm....close to mother ? Just like his nickname.

In German it means "the duke's mountain" or "the prince's mountain".

Some other german players:
Greul sounds exactly like Greuel what means horror.
Schüttler means shaker what's his nickname...

Voo de Mar
02-10-2007, 09:11 PM
"Nadal" in Polish means "still"
"Moya" means "my"...

For example in Polish you can say
"nadal moya przewaga" = "it's still my advantage" :lol:

Truc
02-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Greul sounds exactly like Greuel what means horror.I love that one. They have some terrible names in German.
Also Lars Uebel, it means evil or ill.
And people often write Hass instead of Haas, which means "hate" then.

Patience also means patience in French, of course.

Voo de Mar
02-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Stefan Edberg and Bjorn Borg :)

"Ed" in Swedish = "Oath"
"Berg" = "Mountain"
"Borg" = "Castle"

Voo de Mar
02-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Kiefer" is a type of tree - pine, I think, but I'm not sure.

Die Kiefer = pine
Der Kiefer = jaw

Right? :cool:

Michael Stich

Der Stich = sting or stab

Paul Haarhuis...

In Dutch
"haar" = hair or her
"huis" = house

Vin Judah
02-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Nice thread! Nieminen - Niemi = promontory/cape

Stevens Point
02-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Feder = feather, and "er" at the end makes it a person,,

so, Federer = feather man ? :shrug:

Voo de Mar
02-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Mariano Puerta

"puerta" in Spanish means "door"

Paulo Cane

"cane" in Italian means "dog"

juanqui.ferrero
02-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Boluda means asshole... :rolleyes:

Metis
02-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Robredo

Tommy's great grandfather emmigrated from England in the beginning of the 20th century. When he reached the Spanish shores he was hungry so he went to a bakery to get some bread. However, he was very disappointed because the bread had not been baked well. He tried to complain to the owner by shouting "raw bread, raw bread" (he could not speak Spanish yet). From that moment on he came to be known as Robredo. :silly:

El Legenda
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
I think we all know what his ancestors were known for. :aplot:

well Rod means SUCKING...and rest, i think you know what it means :)

Voo de Mar
02-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Jonas Björkman

"björk" = birch
"man" in Swedish has a lot of meanings

The trees of tennis: Kiefer and Bjorkman -> Mr. Pine and Mr. Birch ;)

Poor Italian player Flavio Cipolla

"cipolla" = onion

idolwatcher1
02-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Ginepri is Italian for "Junipers"... copied this info from wikipedia: Many of the earliest prehistoric people lived in or near juniper forests which furnished them food, fuel, and wood for shelter or utensils. Many species, such as J. chinensis (Chinese Juniper) from eastern Asia, are extensively used in landscaping and horticulture, and as one of the most popular species of bonsai. It is also a symbol of longevity.

Gulliver
02-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Roddick - Scottish or N.Irish and probably a variation of Reddick.

Reddick
Either: habitational name from Rerrick or Rerwick in Kirkcudbrightshire, named with an unknown first element + wic ‘outlying settlement’. It is also possible that the first element was originally Old Norse rauðr ‘red’.
Or: English: habitational name from Redwick in Gloucestershire, named in Old English with hreod ‘reeds’ + wic ‘outlying settlement’.

Names ending in ez, vic, ov generally mean son of, and ending in ek makes it a diminutive.

Federer - occupational name for a trader in feathers or quill pens or an upholsterer.

atheneglaukopis
02-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Gaudio = joy
Ferrer/Ferrero/Ferreira = blacksmith
Murray = settlement by the sea
Santoro = a name given to someone born on All Saints' Day

I like this thread. :)

Edit: From the Oxford Dictionary of Surnames, "Hénin: French. 1. habitation name from a place in Pas-de-Calais, so called from the Gmc byname Henno 'cock'...+ the local suffix -inum.
2. metonomyic occupational name for a maker or seller of the tall and elaborate head-dresses worn in the Middle Ages by fashionable ladies, known in OF as hennins. The word is apparently from MLG henninck cock, with reference to the similarity in appearance and function between these garments and the cock's comb."

alelysafina
02-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Robredo

Tommy's great grandfather emmigrated from England in the beginning of the 20th century. When he reached the Spanish shores he was hungry so he went to a bakery to get some bread. However, he was very disappointed because the bread had not been baked well. He tried to complain to the owner by shouting "raw bread, raw bread" (he could not speak Spanish yet). From that moment on he came to be known as Robredo. :silly:

:lol: :lol:

Peacemaster
02-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Federer - occupational name for a trader in feathers or quill pens or an upholsterer.

Serious? Source?

The boy's name Roger is pronounced ROH-jer, RAH-jer. It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is "renowned spearman". Popular in the Middle Ages and the 19th and 20th centuries. Rogelio is a Spanish form. Rutger is a Dutch form, made familiar in modern times by actor Rutger Hauer. Actor Roger Moore; opera singer Ruggiero Raimondi.

Roger has 15 variant forms: Dodge, Hodge, Rodge, Rodger, Rog, Rogelio, Rogerio, Rogers, Rogiero, Rojay, Rufiger, Ruggero, Ruggiero, Rutger and Ruttger.

*Viva Chile*
02-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Ginepri is Italian for "Junipers"... copied this info from wikipedia: Many of the earliest prehistoric people lived in or near juniper forests which furnished them food, fuel, and wood for shelter or utensils. Many species, such as J. chinensis (Chinese Juniper) from eastern Asia, are extensively used in landscaping and horticulture, and as one of the most popular species of bonsai. It is also a symbol of longevity.

I thought a "ginepri" is a kind of tree in Italy, not only a bonsai.

SaltoKlose
02-11-2007, 03:16 AM
Nalbandian - Armenian origin meaning "Blacksmith".

BigAlbinoDonky
02-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Nadal - From the nads of Al.
Roddick - One with a rod-like phallus, especially good for fishing with.
Federer - Close relation to Federline. Both are known for being hog lovers.
Gasquet - Pronounced Gas Gay. Since we all know that gays have more open airwaves from their gaseous region, it speaks for itself.

Federer&Hingis
02-11-2007, 03:34 AM
"Danai" = son

"Udomchoke" = a lot of good luck.

Udom = "full" or "o lot of"

choke = "luck" or "destiny"

"Paradorn" = brother

"Srichaphan" = flourish lineage

"Sricha" = flourish,progress,A good thing

"phan" = lineage,relatives

Metis
02-11-2007, 03:47 AM
And some from WTA:

Schiavone: from schiavo = slave
Castano = chestnut

and finally:

Dementieva: from dementia (cognitive impairment especially when serving)

partygirl
02-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Roddick - Scottish :rocker2:

I think we all know what his ancestors were known for. :aplot:
Fat asses?

Tennis-Engineer
02-11-2007, 03:58 AM
:scratch: I think Baghdatis means of the Baghdad (Iraq capital).And baghdad itself means the garden of justice
bagh=garden
dad=justice

idolwatcher1
02-11-2007, 07:06 AM
I thought a "ginepri" is a kind of tree in Italy, not only a bonsai.
Junipers are trees that grow throughout Europe, Southwest Asia, and North America... but in Italy are called "ginepri"... and they are popular for bonsai because they're easy to prune and train.

atheneglaukopis
02-11-2007, 07:37 AM
:worship: Thanks for looking up this info. Do you mind if I post it on the Jujinator's website (at the message board)?Sure, not a problem. And it was no trouble looking it up--I own the surname and given name dictionaries, and they're within arm's reach of my computer. :) I'll probably add some more later, as I find them.

atheneglaukopis
02-11-2007, 07:52 AM
:hug: Thanks. And yeah, I figured you owned them because when I tried looking up this kind of stuff on the Net some time ago all the sites were crap, or you had to pay to get more info. :o :lol: :help:I've found them to be pretty thorough, but there are a lot more mistakes than I would expect from Oxford :shrug:, so if you ever get them, use with caution.

atheneglaukopis
02-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up. :) I probably wouldn't buy them any time soon but I have been known to take trips to the library in order to thumb through reference books for fun in my free time. :tape: :oI didn't buy them either--a retiring professor discarded a heap of books outside his door, and I helped myself. :) Most of the mistakes I've noticed are classical mythology errors, which you'd probably catch.

Yeah, I do that too. No need to be embarrassed. :p

No Kuerten :(, but Kuznetsov = patronymic of the word for "smith", cognate with English hew.
López possibly "wolf"
Móya from Latin modus "measure"

Сафин from Greek cephale "head" + the Russian case ending -ин, hence "headcase". :crazy: :p (For the more challenged MTF members--I MADE THIS ONE UP.)

Ferrero Forever
02-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Apparently Haas means Lettuce in Maltese (not sure if it's spelt the same since I can't read or write Maltese though)

atheneglaukopis
02-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Apparently Haas means Lettuce in Maltese (not sure if it's spelt the same since I can't read or write Maltese though)Neither do I, but this is what a google search revealed.

http://www.aboutmalta.com/language/engmal.htm
LETTUCE hassa (m) [has'sa]

Burrow
02-11-2007, 10:34 AM
a names just a name, you dont call somebody because of a characteristic as you have no idea what they are like cause they have not been born. common sense

Tennis-Engineer
02-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Robredo

:haha: What a funny story ! I really liked to know about Robredo's name.

Burrow
02-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Safin is a cool name.

fhiriburu
02-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Cool thread

-Cañas is spanish for reeds

-Chela is a nickname for old woman called "Grace"

-Montañes means "guy from the mountain"

-Falla means "fail"

-Cuevas means "caves"

Burrow
02-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Cool thread

-Cańas is spanish for reeds

-Chela is a nickname for old woman called "Grace"

-Montańes means "guy from the mountain"

-Falla means "fail"

-Cuevas means "caves"

Interesting stuff :yeah:

Falla means fail?... :tape:

Hrastar
02-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Slovenian player Zemlja
Zemlja=Clay :lol:

It's not Gregor Zemlja, but Gregor ŽEMLJA (sort of bread, like some roll)http://www.panpek.hr/katalog/finap/zemlja.jpg

Marko Tkalec = Marko Weaver :)

and Hans PODLIPNIK (CHILE) is like Hans "Under-the-limetree man" :D

Slovenian part :wavey:

Action Jackson
02-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Nadal = Christmas in Catalan
Mantilla = Lace

maria_marie
02-02-2008, 08:51 AM
nice thread!
Youzhny means southern and is written like this- Южный
Novak in my language (which is quite similar ot serbian) means something like beginner
feliciano (lopez) meams happy or lucky
Ehrlich means honest
Misha Zverev- Zver means beast
and a couple of surenames of football players which I always find funny Lahm= limp and Schweinsteiger means a person who breeds pigs
sorry if some of these have already been mentioned

MoiNonPlus
02-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I guess Bracciali means something like "bracelets".
Allegro means a lot of things, "happy" or "cheerful" ;)

Jadranka
02-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Ljubicic - ljubiti (cro.) = to kiss

Voo de Mar
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I guess Bracciali means something like "bracelets".

It's interesting that Italian surnames are sometimes in plural. Another example is Gianluca Pozzi. "Pozzi" is a plural from "pozzo" what means "water well".

amalyn
02-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Die Kiefer = pine
Der Kiefer = jaw

Right? :cool:

I can't believe I never thought of that! :eek: In my mind, I had him linked with the tree, but of course you're right there.

Farenhajt
02-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Szeles (hungarian) = windy (and she really did sweep the opponents like a wind :))

Stephan
02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Nalbandian - Armenian origin meaning "Blacksmith".

look in his official site .nalbandian.com
http://www.nalbandian.com/Gallery/Retroshag/Retroshag.HTM

he is doing rugs... ;)

Farenhajt
02-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Novak = "recruit", but also a masculine name coming from "nov" = "new", as in "a new child"

Đoković = paternal name from Đoko = nickname for Đorđe = George/Jorge/Georg etc.

Nenad = masculine name coming from "nenadan" = "unhoped for, unexpected"

Zimonjić = paternal name from Zimonja = masculine nickname coming from "zima" = "winter"

Janko = most probably coming from Jan = Czech for John/Johann/Jean/Juan etc.

Tipsarević = paternal name from "tipsar" = "a manufacturer of alum"

Nalrodd
02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Hrbaty - hunchback in Slovak :)
Ivo Klec - klec in Czech language means cage :)

Voo de Mar
02-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Hrbaty - hunchback in Slovak :)

:lol:

Voo de Mar
02-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Kristof Vliegen

"vliegen" is a Dutch verb "to fly" :shrug:

DhammaTiger
02-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Neither do I, but this is what a google search revealed.

http://www.aboutmalta.com/language/engmal.htm

The maltese language is very close to Arabic. The word for lettuce in Arabic is "Khas", I suppose in Maltese the hard Kh became H. Languages are very interesting. I am learning Thai and it's a whole new world of pronunciations, writing and tones. So, it'sdifficult to tell the meaning of a word unless you see it written in Thai.

Voo de Mar
02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Massimo Dell'Acqua

"dell'acqua" = of the water :shrug:

Alonsofz
02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
In Chile, Chela means beer. :lol:

Farenhajt
02-06-2008, 02:40 AM
Janko = most probably coming from Jan = Czech for John/Johann/Jean/Juan etc.

Actually, I was wrong on this one: Janko is Serbian-Croatian variant of Hungarian name János, dating way back from the days of duke Hunyadi János (15th century). (Though in itself, János as a name is still parallel to John/Johann etc.)

Ferrero Forever
02-06-2008, 02:55 AM
The maltese language is very close to Arabic. The word for lettuce in Arabic is "Khas", I suppose in Maltese the hard Kh became H. Languages are very interesting. I am learning Thai and it's a whole new world of pronunciations, writing and tones. So, it'sdifficult to tell the meaning of a word unless you see it written in Thai.

Yeah thats true. I can't read or write Maltese, but I understand it when it's spoken, and I can only speak a tiny bit. But saying that, I went to a school which had a massive lebanese population, and when they spoke Arabic I could understand them. Many words are the same, or similar in Arabic.

Pea
02-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Actually, I was wrong on this one: Janko is Serbian-Croatian variant of Hungarian name János, dating way back from the days of duke Hunyadi János (15th century). (Though in itself, János as a name is still parallel to John/Johann etc.)

Janos > John